Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... (1075 Views)

Those That Travel Abroad As Dependents, Come In And Share Your Abroad Stories / Illegal Migration To Europe: Think Before You Embark On A Journey Of No Return / Lagos-Ibadan Closure: LASTMA, FRSC Embark On Assessment of The Traffic Impact (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Octavoral: 5:16pm On Oct 17, 2021
Everyone in Nigeria wants to travel abroad in search of a better life. Before we do, we need lower our expectations as they don’t conform with realities.

Most prominent dream destinations include Canada, USA, Germany et al. While I haven’t been to the laters, I reside in the former; as a student.

Majority wants to travel with the mindset “I want go hustle”. Unfortunately, job no de littered around as we thought in Nigeria.

The best or easiest way to get to these countries with the hope of a lengthy stay is via student visa. An average 1 yr course in Canada is 17k CAD per year which is equivalent to 8m naira. Accommodation in a shared apartment is 800 CAD monthly not to talk of feeding or transportation.

The school workload and demands aren’t like that of Nigeria which you can just take without care. If you’re going to study, be sure you really wanna study. After graduation, you’re competing with millions of people for jobs. No job is 100% guaranteed, not menial jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Octavoral: 5:18pm On Oct 17, 2021
Due to academic demands, you may not even be that open to part time jobs. So, you need have proper funding to embark on this trip.

My first week here wasn’t easy as I thought cos I nearly spent all I had on hotel, transport and feeding cos person wey suppose pick me no pick calls again as I reach airport until a friend in USA linked me with a family friend here. I for nearly open gofund me acct.

Leave with a plan, have sufficient money. Everyone go shenk you. People here may be living a better life but most no get money reach us. We just want a better life and secure our future and the future of our offsprings.

Nothing is rosy but I hope with proper planning and effort, it will be worth the expenses. We all hope for a better life and that life, we’ll get.

Wishing you all the best as you embark on your “abroad dreams”

2 Likes

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Octavoral: 5:30pm On Oct 17, 2021
While I’m here, I’ll update you on how things are and you can quote me for any clarification and questions.
Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by hollamanng(m): 5:30pm On Oct 17, 2021
K
Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by FrankTalk1: 5:48pm On Oct 17, 2021
Yes. Travelling abroads without good cash can be a clear path for sufferings. One advise I can give you is to have good soft skill like IT related skills ( eg programing, web developing, database management etc ) before traveling or be a good FX traders who has gained good consistency in fx trading.

This way you won’t have to be pressured to look for job when you get there.

If you need help on learning Fx trading mentorship, DM now on telegram : @Tradewithemeka or @Tradingwithemeka

1 Like

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by property123: 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2021
Octavoral:
Everyone in Nigeria wants to travel abroad in search of a better life. Before we do, we need lower our expectations as they don’t conform with realities.

Most prominent dream destinations include Canada, USA, Germany et al. While I haven’t been to the laters, I reside in the former; as a student.

Majority wants to travel with the mindset “I want go hustle”. Unfortunately, job no de littered around as we thought in Nigeria.

The best or easiest way to get to these countries with the hope of a lengthy stay is via student visa. An average 1 yr course in Canada is 17k CAD per year which is equivalent to 8m naira. Accommodation in a shared apartment is 800 CAD monthly not to talk of feeding or transportation.

The school workload and demands aren’t like that of Nigeria which you can just take without care. If you’re going to study, be sure you really wanna study. After graduation, you’re competing with millions of people for jobs. No job is 100% guaranteed, not menial jobs.

So how are many doing well there? Someone that always talks as you are doing keep sending $ down to his people, how then is he making it?

1 Like

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Octavoral: 11:37pm On Oct 17, 2021
property123:

So how are many doing well there? Someone that always talks as you are doing keep sending $ down to his people, how then is he making it?

Like I posted earlier, the beginning may be rough but with proper planning, it will yield result.

It’s not expected that as you get here, you start sending money home. You need balance and truthfully, you may not get that within a year. 2 years is realistic. It takes a huge sacrifice for someone working “legitimately” to send money home. E no de easy but most people when dier relatives de jand, dem don place so many expectations on them. More reason, some go into fraud or things illegal just to keep up with the expectations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by BoluwajiPieters: 8:20pm On Oct 23, 2021
Octavoral:

Like I posted earlier, the beginning may be rough but with proper planning, it will yield result.

It’s not expected that as you get here, you start sending money home. You need balance and truthfully, you may not get that within a year. 2 years is realistic. It takes a huge sacrifice for someone working “legitimately” to send money home. E no de easy but most people when dier relatives de jand, dem don place so many expectations on them. More reason, some go into fraud or things illegal just to keep up with the expectations.

Following!!!

How much in total did you take to Canada? How much do you think one should take there for the first few months?
Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Octavoral: 8:31pm On Oct 23, 2021
BoluwajiPieters:

Following!!!

How much in total did you take to Canada? How much do you think one should take there for the first few months?

$4k cbn bta approved. Renter hotel $750 for a week, subsequently got a room apartment $1200 per month. You’ll have to pay the first and last month. I’ll explain that later ($2400). Spent about $800 so far on transport (Uber for urgencies, bus and train for non urgent ones. I’ve been here for 20 days.

I opened bank account, so I’ve been able to get cad via exchangers through interac e-transfer to fund my acct. A bit risky cos most are third party transfers and may b proceeds of fraud. So, u need b sure of the sender.

I was specifically warned in the bank not to give details to people to do direct deposit fraud. If u do, na jail you go land. Canada no b USA o.

1 Like

Re: Before You Embark On Your Abroad Dream... by Pamelayoung: 8:50pm On Oct 23, 2021
FrankTalk1:
Yes. Travelling abroads without good cash can be a clear path for sufferings. One advise I can give you is to have good soft skill like IT related skills ( eg programing, web developing, database management etc ) before traveling or be a good FX traders who has gained good consistency in fx trading.

This way you won’t have to be pressured to look for job when you get there.

If you need help on learning Fx trading mentorship, DM now on telegram : @Tradewithemeka or @Tradingwithemeka
I'm interested please

(1) (Reply)

Travel With Virgin Nigeria At A Very Cheap Rate Using Staff Travel / No Interivew Date For U.s Visa Till 2009 / Your Visit To Enugu State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.