Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer (24875 Views)

As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range? / Nigerian Mum Who Lost Her Husband Is Now A Bricklayer WorkingTo Feed Her Kids / Microbiology Graduate Who Had Distinction Turns Bricklayer (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by istina: 8:52am On Oct 21, 2021
I used to think there is no basis for comparing a Teacher with a Bricklayer but a recent event change my line of thinking.

I went to visit a friend at a construction site around Meiran in Lagos two days ago, and almost immediately I got there I noticed that one of the Bricklayers working there was being called TEACHER by his co-workers. I wondered what would make his colleagues be calling him Teacher, could it be that he is so good that he even trains his colleagues on the job?

So, I inquired about him from one of his colleagues why they refer to him as TEACHER, the man replied that he is actually a school Teacher. Not satisfied, I went to TEACHER himself to hear from the horse’s mouth. The man who appears to me as a man in his mid-40’s told ne his name is ADIO; he said he is actually a trained Teacher and had taught in several schools before deciding to leave the Teaching profession for Bricklaying.

When I asked him why he left Teaching he said

‘things are hard in this country and the mingy, chintzy, niggard school owners make things harder for their workers with the way they treat them thereby; making it difficult for someone like me to feed myself and family. Even the peanuts, meagre pellet which they are expected to pay at the end of the month, the avaricious, penurious and tight-fisted proprietors find it difficult to part with them. It is either they are short-paying or under-paying or not paying. By the end of the month you as an ‘educated pauper’ are actually living from hands to mouth like a blind shrew

I asked him why Bricklaying of all jobs,
‘I taught professionally as a school Teacher with both my NCE and Degree Certificates for over 20 years yet I have nothing to show for it but since almost 3 years now that I’ve fully embrace Bricklaying things have been more than better. God has been too faithful to me and by His Grace by December I will be moving into my own cosy and comfy house at Atan in Ogun State. What I couldn’t achieve for more than 20 years as a Teacher I’ve been able to do so in less than 3 years as a Mason. If reincarnation is true then, in my next life I would choose Bricklaying over Teaching over and over again.’ ADIO said.

213 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by dominique(f): 9:19am On Oct 21, 2021
Bricklaying pays more than teaching as long as they get steady jobs regularly. They move to developing sites where bricklayers are in high demand and cash out steadily

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by dawnomike(m): 9:23am On Oct 21, 2021
Bricklayers (Masons) make steady income provided they get sites to work on... The problem wit most of them is lack or planning and savings.

140 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by hollah123: 9:29am On Oct 21, 2021
Teaching in a private school should b added to modern day slavery,I have had encounters with people who have been teachers for long n d story is nothing to write home about.

Majority live from hand to mouth n irrespective of the number of years they have used as a teacher they always start afresh in any profession they find themselves because the pay is always too small to feed not to even talk about saving.

I am not encouraging laziness ooo but to me teaching is not an hustle in Nigeria, it's just a time waster cos u will later realise that a mechanic apprentice earns better than them

163 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by F117nighthawk: 9:31am On Oct 21, 2021
The jobs are always there for bricklayers, Nigeria is an underdeveloped country

quote author=dominique post=106926800]Bricklaying pays more than teaching as long as they get steady jobs regularly. They move to developing sites where bricklayers are in high demand and cash out steadily[/quote]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by 2ndchildhood(m): 10:17am On Oct 21, 2021
I'm a site supervisor under one engr... Omo the kind money wey those mesons dey see ehn, even me sef dey envy them.. the least money dey get on site per day is 4k. sometimes 6k 7k, multiply am by 30days or let's say 20days sef coz dey fit no get work at times.. which school wan pay u laidat. For north, more than 70% of private school teachers no dey even see 15k/month. Ordinary labour for site not less than 2500/day.. so guy if u are skillful, Don't underrate hand work oo.
But the spirit of not being able to save money is what I don't understand in most of them.. they Sabi drink ehn..

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by dominique(f): 2:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
F117nighthawk:
The jobs are always there for bricklayers, Nigeria is an underdeveloped country

quote author=dominique post=106926800]Bricklaying pays more than teaching as long as they get steady jobs regularly. They move to developing sites where bricklayers are in high demand and cash out steadily

Developed countries don't hire bricklayers or construction workers?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by slawormiir: 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright....

Na who nor smart dey do monthly job...

Even the so called lecturers in our tertiary institutions are suffering......if nor be blocking way students dey give them .....most of them for nor fit buy car

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Siddeek: 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
R

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
That's kinda the status quo in Nigeria....

teacher turned bricklayer
Banker turned Uber driver
1st class graduate turned charge and bail lawyer
Real estate developer turned Roadside agent

Now everyone is opening Churches...

If God no call them.... They'll call God by fire by force

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Timoleon(m): 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
I don’t see why he is complaining though. If he really believes teaching is what he wants to do, he should find means of optimizing his earnings. I know many proprietors are demonic but as an engaged teacher, he has a leverage to have private students he tutors thereby making more money. Tutoring online is also an option open to him.

This na my imagination o. Teachers on the field can throw in more light. The challenges and the prospects. Una good afternoon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by UncleKoboko: 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
See what these fool ani fools are doing.
Our major problem in this country is relinquishing power to fool ani fools.
In the history of Nigeria, these savage cows have ruled this country for at least 70% of times. See the results of their rulership - FAILURE!!!

Buharî is the worst thing to ever happen to this country. He's failure and corruption has even surpassed that of ibb.
Very nepotistic cow.

A pack of Indomie is now N2,900! Something that used to be N1,300 two years ago.

Bottle Table water is now N100

Sardine is now N500

In some places, one single egg is now N100

12.5 kg of gas is now N6500

Engine oil 1LT is now N3000! Etc

N500 can hardly feed anyone satisfactorily in a booker or mamaput restaurant..

I wonder what state this country will be by 2023.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Tunasco4u(m): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
No be new thing nah, even e get one head teacher for one public sch at Agbani here wey dey carry sand now as I dey type for one site like that in my area,money no reach to settle mata again grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Vinnie2000(m): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
This Bricklayer/Teacher is a Real Niggar! smiley

Anybody Doing Private Job should add Side Hustle to it oo..
In Nigeria, All man Must shine your Eye!

One Private Radio Station in Warri Got engulfed in Fire..
Was completely Burnt down! embarassed

I wonder how the Workers will survive for the upcoming months! undecided

4 Likes

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by janedonez(m): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
Bad
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Bobotic(m): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
Yen yen yen shocked shocked shocked

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Optimistguy1969: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
Na today?

Doctor's go soon dey hustle like person wen read Bus Admin

Just watch

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by jericco1(m): 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
He should think out of the box

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by wallay77(m): 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
This corntree tire everybody
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Authoreety: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
Evvcz
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
Touching tale
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by BigDawsNet: 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
Chia... The country is not looking good anymore

If you have the resources...leave now

9 Likes

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
istina:
I used to think there is no basis for comparing a Teacher with a Bricklayer but a recent event change my line of thinking.

I went to visit a friend at a construction site around Meiran in Lagos two days ago, and almost immediately I got there I noticed that one of the Bricklayers working there was being called TEACHER by his co-workers. I wondered what would make his colleagues be calling him Teacher, could it be that he is so good that he even trains his colleagues on the job?

So, I inquired about him from one of his colleagues why they refer to him as TEACHER, the man replied that he is actually a school Teacher. Not satisfied, I went to TEACHER himself to hear from the horse’s mouth. The man who appears to me as a man in his mid-40’s told ne his name is ADIO; he said he is actually a trained Teacher and had taught in several schools before deciding to leave the Teaching profession for Bricklaying.

When I asked him why he left Teaching he said

‘things are hard in this country and the mingy, chintzy, niggard school owners make things harder for their workers with the way they treat them thereby; making it difficult for someone like me to feed myself and family. Even the peanuts, meagre pellet which they are expected to pay at the end of the month, the avaricious, penurious and tight-fisted proprietors find it difficult to part with them. It is either they are short-paying or under-paying or not paying. By the end of the month you as an ‘educated pauper’ are actually living from hands to mouth like a blind shrew

I asked him why Bricklaying of all jobs,
‘I taught professionally as a school Teacher with both my NCE and Degree Certificates for over 20 years yet I have nothing to show for it but since almost 3 years now that I’ve fully embrace Bricklaying things have been more than better. God has been too faithful to me and by His Grace by December I will be moving into my own cosy and comfy house at Atan in Ogun State. What I couldn’t achieve for more than 20 years as a Teacher I’ve been able to do so in less than 3 years as a Mason. If reincarnation is true then, in my next life I would choose Bricklaying over Teaching over and over again.’ ADIO said.
its better than teaching in private schools more expecially if u r in abj 5k daily

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Donzion77(m): 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
There's so much money in that trade. One of my tenants who graduated years ago as an electronic and electrical engineer, recently ventured into Mason trade, after many wasted years of doing slavery works, he is about to pack into his own house in the same street with me.
For you to know that how lucrative this trade is, for instance, to set a single block in my area is more than 5o naira. He told me that on average, he rakes up 12k daily. Because the man is pretty nice, alot of building engineers are always scrambling for his services. In a month, he can save up to 150k
To crown it all, I recently helped him to secure an off cut land of 70 by 30 feet land down my street. He is building it all by himself. He will mix the cement while the wife will be serving him.
He is about to finish the block work of the house, he had never paid any aboki any dime in the building of his 3 bedroom flat!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by crafteck(m): 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Everyone seems to have an idea and most of una workshops na underneath so u cant understand, as person wey hin papa don do houseboy well before let me explain, school offers you 45k,expects you to get neat shirt and trousers ironed daily, contrary to most people thinking teachers job is easier because it is not physically engaging you need to think about it again have you ever had to explain something to a dull child then you will know the meaning of psychological stress, you come late-salary reduction, you make mistakes-minus 2k etc, they use 90k worth of manpower from you the owner expects you to act in fear, brick work or mason isnt easy but daily or weekly pay is king, you can stop after a week if you get a better offer or you feel too stressed. Daily income makes any job worth it, its the closest to per hour we can get, most of the idiot ladies and proud guys that insult uber drivers have no idea the guy is more financially buoyant. Thank god i didn't look for job with my geography and regional planning cert, 2 years after service i was making my mates monthly income every 2 days

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Authoreety: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Nigeria dey kill career and destiny especially this past 6yrs...

And that's why I can never blame yahoo guys even though I don't support it

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by TFLASHOGEE(m): 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
As far as Nigeria is concerned teacher in a regular private school will never earn than a bricklayer who have steady work in sites wink

3 Likes

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by WibusJaga: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2021

Naija de kill dreams. Several of my colleagues who had great ambitions to become medical doctors ended up as native doctors & even bus condoctors. All na doctor sha. cheesy

BTW, most of these lowly artisans actually earn more than many glorified salary earners.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by moscobabs(m): 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Bricklayer and Driver are better than Teaching job 100times

3 Likes

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by brightovio007(m): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2021
Rediscovery your talent

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Radio Bayelsa GM Flogs Four Officials / Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? / 20 Skills To Learn Instead Of Watching Tv.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.