Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer (24897 Views)

As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range? / Nigerian Mum Who Lost Her Husband Is Now A Bricklayer WorkingTo Feed Her Kids / Microbiology Graduate Who Had Distinction Turns Bricklayer (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Timoleon(m): 8:20pm On Oct 21, 2021
Succinct.
jaeyking:

Well it depends on the school and flexibility.
Some schools pay more than 100k and some between the minimum wage and 100k.

No amount of money is enough for one.
Side hustle is the best and development in one's field.

Online tutoring is available.

I once had a class that it was 1k per head per day.

So it depends on the individual.

I have seen rich teachers and broke teachers
And I have seen rich masons and broke masons
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Timoleon(m): 8:21pm On Oct 21, 2021
He should network with those that are doing it successfully. Don’t be pessimistic all the time.
Cromagnon:
so he should work 8hrs for peanuts then kill himself with private students? Where is the Internets for online learning. Why are you dreaming like this
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by ibinaboonline: 8:25pm On Oct 21, 2021
Na 10k I paid day before yesterday to dig an 8ft toilet pit in my site. 10K, just one guy, and he finished the job before it was 5pm. He didn't even start on time. That's just for the digging. I'll still have to pay him for the actual mason work. It's not a job for the lily levered but those of them that have a brain should do very well in life as long as they are getting steady jobs. The problem is that many of them pay way too much attention to ogogoro.
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by meditator(m): 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2021
zanshi:

Niger state has it bad, there are no functioning industries in Niger.
Yeah, so bad. Everyone here depends on government monthly stipend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Hassanmaye(m): 9:11pm On Oct 21, 2021
Tunasco4u:
No be new thing nah, even e get one head teacher for one public sch at Agbani here wey dey carry sand now as I dey type for one site like that in my area,money no reach to settle mata again grin
Hahahhahahaha please agbani sweet o in Enugu I studied there
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by meditator(m): 9:23pm On Oct 21, 2021
Munzy14:

Nawa o.

Now lets start from, aside teaching what do you have passion for?

What grade are you using to teach?

What are your plans from now till 5years time?.

Brother, my dream has always been to be a lecturer, most especially in my field of study. While in school, there was this innermost joy I usually derive when I tutor students and they grasp my explanations. I was moderately good in my course, I was among the top five best students in my class. So, my passion has always been to help people out academically either it comes with momentary benefit or not, while I was in school. It was that passion that made me delve into teaching not knowing its something totally different in contemporary Nigeria.

I'm teaching with M.Sc. in Political Science (Second Class Upper Division)

By next year, I don't want to have anything to do with teaching job again. If I'm to remain on it, I just need something to augment it.
Early this year, I nearly secured a lecturing job in one of the newly established private uni. but I missed it because I was not having a Msc. cert. So, I decided to apply for Msc program in IBB uni here in Niger and I was given admission. Unfortunately, they increased the fee astronomically which I could not afford. I immediately applied BUK and I was given also. Currently, screening has begun, I'm still struggling to raise money for it. This is because for the past two months we havnt been paid.

In the next five years, I see myself securing a better job in the academic sector after obtaining my MSc. Certificate and also owning a world class barbing saloon shop if I succeed in perfecting my barbing skill which I started acquiring and stopped 3 years ago.
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Elidrisy20: 9:33pm On Oct 21, 2021
They say teaching profession is the last option, after reaching na stealing
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by akaahs(m): 9:40pm On Oct 21, 2021
Munzy14:

grin grin

After handling a job, the mason I paid, look me finish say Oga you don chop o...

I read meaning into it and realised he meant if I could hire him for the time frame on 4k any day he worked, he made much to imagine how much I that paid him made...lol

Poor planning and poor investment is the only nochallenge these artisans face.

But with an enterprising wife, they make a fortune from their hustle.
.....womanising. one was telling me how he didn't go home after close of work but went straight to his girlfriend house cause his wife travel for a burial. The same person said he drank 4 bottles of beer before going oo
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Goldiness: 9:48pm On Oct 21, 2021
Faller:
That's kinda the status quo in Nigeria....

teacher turned bricklayer
Banker turned Uber driver
1st class graduate turned charge and bail lawyer
Real estate developer turned Roadside agent

Now everyone is opening Churches...

If God no call them.... They'll call God by fire by force

grin
How funny cheesy
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Munzy14(m): 9:59pm On Oct 21, 2021
meditator:
Brother, my dream has always been to be a lecturer, most especially in my field of study. While in school, there was this innermost joy I usually derive when I tutor students and they grasp my explanations. I was moderately good in my course, I was among the top five best students in my class. So, my passion has always been to help people out academically either it comes with momentary benefit or not, while I was in school. It was that passion that made me delve into teaching not knowing its something totally different in contemporary Nigeria.

I'm teaching with M.Sc. in Political Science (Second Class Upper Division)

By next year, I don't want to have anything to do with teaching job again. If I'm to remain on it, I just need something to augment it.
Early this year, I nearly secured a lecturing job in one of the newly established private uni. but I missed it because I was not having a Msc. cert. So, I decided to apply for Msc program in IBB uni here in Niger and I was given admission. Unfortunately, they increased the fee astronomically which I could not afford. I immediately applied BUK and I was given also. Currently, screening has begun, I'm still struggling to raise money for it. This is because for the past two months we havnt been paid.

In the next five years, I see myself securing a better job in the academic sector after obtaining my MSc. Certificate and also owning a world class barbing saloon shop if I succeed in perfecting my barbing skill which I started acquiring and stopped 3 years ago.
As a human, you are facing the usual challenges...Your ability to conquer it,is the big win for you.

Good you are breaking away from the setback of working like elephant and eating peanuts.

Be focused with the barbing skill and make sure you pursue your masters as well.

Achieve the two, and 5yrs after now will be a story you will tell and laugh at the days of serious challenges.

Set targets for yourself..And follow the pattern with all passion and zeal.

Also, check other little things you can do to make cash no matter how small within your environments..Is their something they lack, you can buy from other places and resell, no matter how small the gain u make...Every 10naira counts.

Challenge yourself bro..13k a month is extremely poverty to be honest.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Munzy14(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2021
akaahs:

.....womanising. one was telling me how he didn't go home after close of work but went straight to his girlfriend house cause his wife travel for a burial. The same person said he drank 4 bottles of beer before going oo
Yes you are right...These artisans are biggest customers for those aunty gwehgwehgwehs( old harlots in charlets)..And lazy women who offer sex for even a pack of noodles in exchange.

I really thank God for street blending, always an eye opener for me.

Only an enterprising wife wey tear eye, can handle the mischievous ones..If not as they made the money, na so dey will go and submit to those harlots.

It's a pity for their wives, these guys most times infect them due to careless living.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by zanshi: 10:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
meditator:
Yeah, so bad. Everyone here depends on government monthly stipend.

Had a friend who use to tell me about Niger state, that if you don't work as a teacher, civil servant or work in a bank there aren't many prospects opportunites.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by kodded(m): 6:30am On Oct 22, 2021
Donzion77:
There's so much money in that trade. One of my tenants who graduated years ago as an electronic and electrical engineer, recently ventured into Mason trade, after many wasted years of doing slavery works, he is about to pack into his own house in the same street with me.
For you to know that how lucrative this trade is, for instance, to set a single block in my area is more than 5o naira. He told me that on average, he rakes up 12k daily. Because the man is pretty nice, alot of building engineers are always scrambling for his services. In a month, he can save up to 150k
To crown it all, I recently helped him to secure an off cut land of 70 by 30 feet land down my street. He is building it all by himself. He will mix the cement while the wife will be serving him.
He is about to finish the block work of the house, he had never paid any aboki any dime in the building of his 3 bedroom flat!
wahala for who no get tactics
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by jaeyking(m): 8:18am On Oct 22, 2021
Timoleon:
Succinct.

Yea no need to belittle one's profession
It all depends on your ability as an individual
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by shantti(m): 7:27pm On Oct 22, 2021
BiggyB242:

I read on nairaland about a man asking for advice. He is having an issue with his fiancee. He teaches in a private school (British standard) that pays close to 200k, then he got a lecturing job in a private uni that will pay about 110k. Babe wants him to quit the teaching job because she wan answer lecturer wife.

Do u know if there is an app that enables one to slap somebody online. I really need to slap that man for giving his fiance's idea a thought
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by ILuvMerije(f): 7:36pm On Oct 22, 2021
ravensckar:
The kind of crass ignorance being displayed on this thread will shock even the devil himself. Bricklaying job is more lucrative than a teaching job? Like seriously? angry angry

Now, let's begin this way. George Crane once said; 'there is no future in any job, the future lies in the person who is doing the job'. Teaching job may seem meagre if the person doing the job doesn't carve a niche for himself or find a way to make it lucrative. To be a successful teacher, you gotta have the requisite qualification, certifications and trainings. Then, you'll understand the tide and trend so as to position yourself properly. Many graduates who venture into teaching do not possess a quarter of these, yet they complain that the venture isn't lucrative. Keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

'Teaching job is this' 'Teaching job is that'. Please speak for yourself and stop the fallacy of hasty generalization.

PS- I'm a teacher and to the glory of God, I'm doing very well.

Glory to God that you are doing well. Please, kindly share ways by which a teacher can make teaching lucrative, what are the ways? What are those requisite certifications and trainings that you'd advice a teacher to go for?
Thank you in anticipation of your response
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by ravensckar(m): 12:42am On Oct 23, 2021
ILuvMerije:

Glory to God that you are doing well. Please, kindly share ways by which a teacher can make teaching lucrative, what are the ways? What are those requisite certifications and trainings that you'd advice a teacher to go for?
Thank you in anticipation of your response
**Ways to Make Teaching Lucrative**

1- Requisite Qualification e.g B.ed or even a B.sc. NCE is highly underrated & underpaid. OND & HND won't even be considered at all.

2- Certifications- CAMBRIDGE IGCSE CERTIFICATION, KS 1 or KS 2 Certification, Certificate in Computer Proficiency, EYFS, JOLLY PHONICS, MONTESSORI, etc.

3- Trainings- one must possess basic trainings on some of the following fields; Classroom Management, Outdoor Learning & Transition, 6 Core Skills, Multiple Intelligence, Learning Styles & Challenges, Introduction to Modern Teaching Techniques, Basic Lesson Planning & Lesson Delivery, Basic Trainings in Literacy/Mathematics/Creative Writing/Comprehension.

4- Understanding the trend & Location where teaching is very lucrative e.g Lekki, Magodo, Ikeja, Oregun & perhaps Ketu.

5- Being connected to seasoned teachers is the most important- it makes it easy for you to always get inside information about the schools that are recruiting, their pay structure, what you need to do to get the job and even home lessons.

PS- the place I currently work, it was my former Head of School that linked me up. Most of the home lessons that I do, it's based on referrals. A client recommending me to another or my colleague recommending me to clients. This is the biggest secret of successful teachers.

If you can follow these processes painstakingly, trust me, you'll make it as a teacher...

2 Likes

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by meditator(m): 10:18am On Oct 23, 2021
zanshi:

Had a friend who use to tell me about Niger state, that if you don't work as a teacher, civil servant or work in a bank there aren't many prospects opportunites.

That's the reality here, bro. The state should have been the hub of industrialization considering relatively large landmass we have. The political leaders haven't helped either, they are team players to this menace which has led to insecurities in the state which was known as the most peaceful state some years ago
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by meditator(m): 10:19am On Oct 23, 2021
Munzy14:

As a human, you are facing the usual challenges...Your ability to conquer it,is the big win for you.

Good you are breaking away from the setback of working like elephant and eating peanuts.

Be focused with the barbing skill and make sure you pursue your masters as well.

Achieve the two, and 5yrs after now will be a story you will tell and laugh at the days of serious challenges.

Set targets for yourself..And follow the pattern with all passion and zeal.

Also, check other little things you can do to make cash no matter how small within your environments..Is their something they lack, you can buy from other places and resell, no matter how small the gain u make...Every 10naira counts.

Challenge yourself bro..13k a month is extremely poverty to be honest.

Thank you bro. I will do just as u said.

Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by ILuvMerije(f): 11:00pm On Oct 24, 2021
ravensckar:

1- Requisite Qualification e.g B.ed or even a B.sc. NCE is highly underrated & underpaid. OND & HND won't even be considered at all.

2- Certifications- CAMBRIDGE IGCSE CERTIFICATION, KS 1 or KS 2 Certification, Certificate in Computer Proficiency, EYFS, JOLLY PHONICS, MONTESSORI, etc.

3- Trainings- one must possess basic trainings on some of the following fields; Classroom Management, Outdoor Learning & Transition, 6 Core Skills, Multiple Intelligence, Learning Styles & Challenges, Introduction to Modern Teaching Techniques, Basic Lesson Planning & Lesson Delivery, Basic Trainings in Literacy/Mathematics/Creative Writing/Comprehension.

4- Understanding the trend & Location where teaching is very lucrative e.g Lekki, Magodo, Ikeja, Oregun & perhaps Ketu.

5- Being connected to seasoned teachers is the most important- it makes it easy for you to always get inside information about the schools that are recruiting, their pay structure, what you need to do to get the job and even home lessons.

PS- the place I currently work, it was my former Head of School that linked me up. Most of the home lessons that I do, it's based on referrals. A client recommending me to another or my colleague recommending me to clients. This is the biggest secret of successful teachers.

If you can follow these processes painstakingly, trust me, you'll make it as a teacher...

Thank you for this, I am grateful.
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by beautybrains1(f): 10:15pm On Oct 25, 2021
ravensckar:

A montessori school in ikota- lekki, Lagos is in need of a passionate, hardworking and experienced preschool teacher.

Salary : 80-100k.

If interested or you know anyone interested , kindly send your CV to Hrjobsforhh@gmail.com
Re: My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer by Cromagnon: 7:48pm On Oct 27, 2021
Timoleon:
He should network with those that are doing it successfully. Don’t be pessimistic all the time.
So why don't everyone do it if it's easy
Don't be day dreaming all the time
This is Nigeria not USA
That it worked for 1% does not mean the 99% should bank on it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

20 Skills To Learn Instead Of Watching Tv. / 4 Clear Cut Reasons Why You Keep Missing Out On Opportunities / My Salary Is Way Lower Than My Colleagues, I Am In Pains!! (please Advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.