Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi (22330 Views)

Ada IPOB AKA Ada Nsukka Kidnapped By Nigeria Terrorist DSS / Tinubu’s Dangerous Dance With The Cabal By Farooq Kperogi PhD / 4 Blood Relatives Of President Buhari Who Work In Aso Rock By Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Racoon(m): 8:52am On Oct 23, 2021
On July 18, 2021, so-called bandits shot down an Alpha Jet belonging to the Nigerian Air Force on the boundary between Zamfara & Kaduna states.

Then on October 7, 2021, the Wall Street Journal, whose news section is adjudged one of America’s most credible, got a scoop that the Nigerian Air Force paid N20 million to bandits to buy back “an antiaircraft gun” that the bandits had seized from the Nigerian military in a clash. The antiaircraft gun, the paper said, “posed a threat to President Muhammadu Buhari, who had been planning to fly to his hometown….”

On October 20, 2021, the bandits, whom the Wall Street Journal says have “collaborators inside the army” and who are “better equipped with larger-capacity advanced weaponry than national security agencies,” detonated explosives on the Abuja-Kaduna rail tracks and caused the indefinite suspension of rail transportation between Abuja and Kaduna. 

What has become transparently apparent in the last few months is that the plague of so-called Fulani herdsmen banditry is way deeper and more complex than we have persuaded ourselves to believe. The menace we self-deceptively & simplistically attenuate as mere “banditry” is nothing short of well-oiled, deep-rooted, well-practiced, and well-organized mercenary terrorism whose tentacles have spread to unthought-of social territories of the Nigerian society.

Early this month, I had a lengthy conversation with a well-placed Nigerian government official on a whole host of issues, including the escalating, never-ending scourge of mass abductions for ransom in vast swathes of the country. In the course of our conversation, he casually shared with me a disturbing story that, for me, strikes at the core of why terroristic banditry won’t go away anytime soon.

He was involved in negotiations for the release of abductees some months back. The multi-million-naira ransom paid to the “abductors,” he said, went through a tortuous chain of command that finally ended up with some armed, well-nourished, out-of-state individuals. In other words, although the kidnappers were bucolic Fulani, the people who finally received the ransom weren’t.

In any case, as most people know, most of the cattle that the Fulani herders rear don’t belong to them; they belong to wealthy city dwellers (and some prosperous rural folks) from all over Nigeria.

Well, the anecdote that the government official shared with me recalls a viral video of a “bandit” in one of the northwestern states swearing in Hausa that “bandits” aren’t independent actors, that they are armed and financed by well-placed people in the society who take advantage of their poverty and disaffiliation from mainstream society to recruit them.

To be clear, I am not by any means absolving Fulani herders from responsibility for kidnapping. I just want to transcend the surface on which we have dwelled for far too long.

I also connected the dots between what the government official told me and a message that trended in Nigerian social media circles in May 2019 about a woman who was threatened with abduction but given the option to pay N5 million into a bank account to avert her kidnap. 

A portion of the narration is worth reproducing without authorial intervention: “She took it up. Went to the bank with some assistance from influential friends. They asked that the account be flagged…. Bank did checks. Bank said the account cannot be flagged else they will lose influential clients How so? The names attached to the account are powerful names. That the kidnap ring pays some top persons percentage from the ransome [sic] paid. She was advised to jejely goan [sic] pay her POTENTIAL KIDNAPPERS. I was speechless for over 5 minutes.”

If you think this is a made-up story, read Daily Trust’s July 28, 2021 story titled “Kidnappers in FCT Begin Collection Of Ransom Through Banks.” When a Mrs. Aminat Adewuyi was kidnapped in Niger State, the kidnappers threatened to slaughter her if her relatives didn’t deposit N5 million naira into an Access Bank account.

The amount was later scaled back. “The ransom payment slip, a copy of which was obtained by Daily Trust showed that Adewuyi’s husband paid N500,000 into an Access Bank account with number 1403762272 and the name Badawi Abba Enterprise,” the paper reported.

Also recall that late last month even the National Youth Service Corps advised youth corps members posted to abduction-prone roads like “Abuja-Kaduna, Abuja-Lokoja-Okene, or Aba-Port Harcourt” to let “family members, friends and colleagues to have someone on hand to pay off the ransom that could be demanded” in the event of their abduction. This piece of advice was frozen in a handbook distributed to corps members.

It’s easy to explain away the NYSC advice as merely an organization being pragmatic and making peace with the ever-present reality of mass abductions in the country. But the listless capitulation to mercenary terroristic bandits by almost all segments of the Nigerian government, including security outfits, points to high-profile complicity, in my opinion.

The Daily Nigerian reported on October 21 that security agencies had intercepted communication between “a notorious bandit” and his “associate.” “The report, dated October 19, 2021 and entitled ‘PLANNED ATTACK ON TRAIN AROUND RIJANA, KADUNA STATE,’ said the terrorists were heard discussing about the planned attack by Darul Salam terrorists in concert with two bandit kingpins, Danlami and Lawan (not real names),” the news site reported.

It quoted the security report to have said, “Baffa informed Bala that members of Darussalam (Boko Haram) in collaboration with bandits led by Danlami and Lawan are currently on their way to plant a bomb at a bridge on the railway in Rijana to hijack a moving train and kidnap the passengers. Baffa said he decided not to participate in the operation because it is risky but believed that DANLAMI and LAWAN will blow up the bridge.”

Why was the report, which the paper said was “circulated across security agencies,” ignored? Was this complicity, incompetence, or indifference? I am inclined to think it’s complicity, especially in light of the Wall Street Journal’s not-surprising revelation that mercenary terrorist bandits have “collaborators inside the army.”

Here are my own extrapolations based on the facts I’ve encountered these past few months. While uneducated, pastoral, semi-nomadic Fulani herders are the public face of mass abductions for ransom in the country, they are just branches of a tree whose roots are buried deep beneath the surface. The herders are mere expendable foot soldiers of people who have privileged connections to the government and the private sector.

Peasant, seminomadic Fulani herders who have lost their cattle have historically served as an inexhaustible pool of lumpen proletariat to conscript into all kinds of conflicts. In the early 1800s, for instance, they constituted a huge percentage of Afonja’s army in his fight against the Alaafin of Oyo. In "A Little New Light: Selected Historical Writings of Professor Abdullahi Smith,” the late Abdullahi Smith wrote that Fulani pastoralists who lost their cattle to tsetse fly bites in Yoruba land and “had nothing to lose” became Afonja’s mercenaries.

The domination of abduction for ransom by Fulani pastoralists who have lost their cattle seems to me like the recrudescence of what happened in the 1800s—and at other historical epochs. Killing the abductors will do nothing to stop the problem because they are merely the branches of a tree. You don’t kill a tree by cutting off its branches because new branches will sprout in time.

You kill a tree by uprooting it. That means identifying the funders and real beneficiaries of mass abductions in the country. From the information I am privy to, they are elites who are not necessarily Fulani. They are a pan-Nigerian gang of ruthless buccaneers who are united by rapaciousness and vileness.

But instead of confronting this grave existential threat to Nigeria, Abubakar Malami, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, is obsessed with blabbering about who the “sponsors” of Sunday Igboho and Nnamdi Kanu are. 

This is the same guy who refused to name and identify people who have been exposed by the United Arab Emirates as sponsors of Boko Haram terrorists because, according to him, “Naming and shaming of suspects is not embarked upon as a policy by the federal Government out of sheer respect [for] the constitutional rights of Nigerians relating to presumption of innocence.”

Naming and shaming of sponsors of terrorism is unconstitutional but the naming and shaming of the “sponsors” of Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Igboho isn’t. That is all you need to know for why mercenary terroristic banditry will endure for as long as incompetent hypocrites like Malami hold and control the levers of government.

https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2021/10/sponsors-of-nigerias-terrorist-bandits.html?m=1

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Racoon(m): 8:55am On Oct 23, 2021
"...Instead of confronting this grave existential threat to Nigeria, Abubakar Malami, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, is obsessed with blabbering about who the “sponsors” of Sunday Igboho and Nnamdi Kanu are. 

This is the same guy who refused to name and identify people who have been exposed by the United Arab Emirates as sponsors of Boko Haram terrorists because, according to him, “Naming and shaming of suspects is not embarked upon as a policy by the federal Government out of sheer respect [for] the constitutional rights of Nigerians relating to presumption of innocence.”

"..The United Arab Emirates on Monday designated six Nigerians as financiers of Boko Haram and other criminal activities.Abdurrahaman Ado Musa, Salihu Yusuf Adamu, Bashir Ali Yusuf, Muhammed Ibrahim Isa, Ibrahim Ali Alhassan and Surajo Abubakar Muhammad were the six Nigerians placed on the Middle-East giant’s watch list.

A Nigerian government official said to be involved in sponsoring the dreaded sect..is yet to be publicly identified by the Emirati authorities, amidst claims that some elements in the Nigerian government were mounting diplomatic pressure not to publish the name.

https://gazettengr.com/just-in-uae-designates-six-nigerians-as-global-financiers-of-terrorism/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

Naming and shaming of sponsors of terrorism is unconstitutional but the naming and shaming of the “sponsors” of Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Igboho isn’t. That is all you need to know for why mercenary terroristic banditry will endure for as long as incompetent hypocrites like Malami hold and control the levers of government..."

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by XXXXTENTACION: 9:02am On Oct 23, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Racoon(m): 9:06am On Oct 23, 2021
Daily Trust’s July 28, 2021 story titled “Kidnappers in FCT Begin Collection Of Ransom Through Banks.”
Isah Pantami and fellow jihadist terrorists you see your life? Of course BVN, NIN, SIM card linkage all useless as long as their foot soldiers are doing business.This is one of the reason terrorism will never be defeated as long as these terrorists are in government.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by cosby02(m): 9:09am On Oct 23, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Otuegbe: 9:12am On Oct 23, 2021
Buhari is aware of everything.
But later he will claim not aware.

Udele, can't read this

65 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Racoon(m): 9:12am On Oct 23, 2021
The Daily Nigerian reported on Oct.21 that security agencies had intercepted communication between “a notorious bandit” and his “associate.” “The report, dated October 19, 2021 and entitled ‘PLANNED ATTACK ON TRAIN AROUND RIJANA, KADUNA STATE" Why was the report, which the paper said was “circulated across security agencies,” ignored?

Was this complicity, incompetence, or indifference? I am inclined to think it’s complicity, especially in light of the Wall Street Journal’s not-surprising revelation that mercenary terrorist bandits have “collaborators inside the army.”
"Major General Muhammadu Buhari has faulted the federal government’s clampdown on Boko Haram Islamic insurgents...."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/buhari-faults-clampdown-on-boko-haram-members/amp/

"The recent proscription of Boko Haram and Ansaru violates the Constitution." - Lai Mohammed (June 10, 2013, The Nation).

Lai Mohammed: Kidnapping, Banditry Not Federal Offences In Nigeria
https://dailypost.ng/2021/05/04/breaking-kidnapping-banditry-not-federal-offences-in-nigeria-buhari-govt/?amp&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

And now "Terrorists Now Use Walkie-talkie, We Can't Track Them - FG"
https://gazettengr.com/terrorists-now-use-walkie-talkie-we-cant-track-them-space-agency/

Nigerian soldiers not trained to fight bandits, Boko Haram: Chief of Defence
https://gazettengr.com/nigerian-soldiers-not-trained-to-fight-bandits-boko-haram-chief-of-defence/

It Is Not Our Duty To Unravel Boko Haram Sponsors – Military
https://thenationonlineng.net/it-is-not-our-duty-to-unravel-boko-haram-sponsors-military/

Why I Won’t Reveal Sponsors Of Boko Haram, Terrorism— EFCC Boss, Bawa
http://saharareporters.com/2021/09/17/why-i-won%E2%80%99t-reveal-sponsors-boko-haram-terrorism%E2%80%94-anti-graft-agency-efcc-boss-bawa

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by tesseract: 9:21am On Oct 23, 2021
Nigeria is sitting on a keg of Gunpowder with these terrorists running things.

8 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by SarkinYarki: 9:24am On Oct 23, 2021
The root of the bandit tree is planted right inside Aso Rock...anyone that wants to live in denial is doing so at his own risk

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Racoon(m): 10:55am On Oct 23, 2021
Bandits not different from B’Haram, Buhari should implement N’Assembly resolutions – Lawmaker

“He actually told us that once the bandits have been designated as terrorists, they would be wiped out. Don’t forget that the bandits today are not different from Boko Haram, looking at their activities and the gravity of attacks by them.

The motion was titled, "Declaration of Bandits and their Sponsors as Terrorists." He noted that declaring bandits as terrorists could be done through a proscription order.Such an order will officially bring the activities of bandits & sponsors within the purview of the Terrorism Prevention Act, while any persons associated with such groups can then be legally prosecuted and sentenced to penalties specified in the Act.

Now that both chambers of the National Assembly have called for the declaration, we urge the President to implement our resolutions.”
https://punchng.com/dhq-seeks-nod-to-crush-bandits-with-tucano-jets-laments-us-condition/

4 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by luizpippo(m): 11:41am On Oct 23, 2021
Watch Udele come here to speak IPOB thrash and then the Resident culture meat griller will top it up with rhetorics of how God will punish his darling daddy, PMB and his band of terrorists.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Sebastine1994(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2021
Everybody thinks unity is the answer to all Nigeria problem, which is true. UNITY IS THE KEY.

But how can we be United, that is where everyone starts running, when it comes to Bell the cat they run.

let me tell you my own truth. politicians will forever keep us divided while calling for unity

politicians cannot unite us. we must unite ourselves. start from our LGA and villages, we have technology, we have Facebook and other social network, use it.

7 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by paddyDIGITAL(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2021
Sad end awaits all terrorists and their sponsors.

5 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by tamdun: 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2021
Nigeria is gone and if u don't believe me, show me a country that defeated terrorism completely

1 Like

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Factfinder1(m): 1:39pm On Oct 23, 2021
Buhari, el rufai etc

4 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by IsuaWP: 1:39pm On Oct 23, 2021
Ok
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Cosmatikka: 1:39pm On Oct 23, 2021
The sponsors of Boko haram, iswap and bandits are sacred cows, resident and dinning with ppl in Aso rock, so can't and shouldn't be named.

But if u defend MNK and Igbogho, u re one of d sponsors

11 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by WibusJaga: 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2021
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Grace001: 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2021
They can’t mention names of terrorist sponsors in the north

But the useless good for nothing FG Fulani government is so quick to mention names of sponsors in the south.

South mumu never do, take it or leave it NORTHERNERS own Nigeria.

Some mumu will still be deceiving themselves even when it’s crystal clear.

FAKE UNITY by force by fire one Nigeria

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Hemanwel(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2021
I took my time to read through the article. It is quite expository!

The kind of impunity we are getting from northern politicians under this Buhari administration is unprecedented!

I hope the next President who is likely to come from the south is taking note? We will have to pay the north back in same coin! No region owns the country! No region has the monopoly of violence! No region is more deserving of eating of the goodness of Nigeria more than the others!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Thinktwicemybro: 1:41pm On Oct 23, 2021
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by jericco1(m): 1:42pm On Oct 23, 2021
undecided
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Antoeni(m): 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2021
[color=#990000][/color]sMay the almighty God judge all who know the 78 Lekki massacred but refused to mention their names & pictures in Christ Jesus name.
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Klington: 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2021
sad
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by kenzysmith: 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2021
Number one sponsors are
ATIKU
Kwankanso
Buhari
Babagida

This 4 men are the cause of Nigerians problems believe me

2 Likes

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Klington: 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2021
K
Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by McOluOmo: 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2021
Banditry business, very lucrative now

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

1 Like

Re: Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2021
God will catch & put them all to everlasting shame someday.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yahaya Bello Hails His Aide And Youngest Appointtee In Nigeria (Video) / Fashola Performs Umrah In Saudi Arabia(pics) / Stella Oduah Threatens To Withdraw From Anambra Guber Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.