Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,664 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. (897 Views)

Church Of England Wants To Stop Referring To God As ‘he’, ‘him’ And ‘our Father' / Church Of England Votes In Favour Of Blessings For Same-sex Unions (pics) / Church Of England Paves The Way For Same-sex Marriages ( Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2021
Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution
by Telegraph

Reposted from:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/2910447/Charles-Darwin-to-receive-apology-from-the-Church-of-England-for-rejecting-evolution.html

The Church of England is to apologise to Charles Darwin for its initial rejection of his theories, nearly 150 years after he published his most famous work.

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:06AM BST 14 Sep 2008

The Church of England will concede in a statement that it was over-defensive and over-emotional in dismissing Darwin's ideas. It will call "anti-evolutionary fervour" an "indictment" on the Church".

The bold move is certain to dismay sections of the Church that believe in creationism and regard Darwin's views as directly opposed to traditional Christian teaching.

The apology, which has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the Church's director of mission and public affairs, says that Christians, in their response to Darwin's theory of natural selection, repeated the mistakes they made in doubting Galileo's astronomy in the 17th century.

"The statement will read: Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still. We try to practise the old virtues of 'faith seeking understanding' and hope that makes some amends."

Opposition to evolutionary theories is still "a litmus test of faithfulness" for some Christian movements, the Church will admit. It will say that such attitudes owe much to a fear of perceived threats to Christianity.

The comments are included on a Church of England website promoting the views of Charles Darwin to be launched on Monday.
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by dawnomike(m): 10:58pm On Oct 24, 2021
Back then when the ideology of science and religion clashed
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2021
dawnomike:
Back then when the ideology of science and religion clashed
how do you mean?
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 11:52pm On Oct 24, 2021
Workch:
Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution
by Telegraph

Since they welcomed homosexuality at about that same period, soon it is expected that they would welcome Honeywell spaghetti, Oranmiyan and co! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 11:55pm On Oct 24, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Since they welcomed homosexuality at about that same period, soon it is expected that they would welcome Honeywell spaghetti, Oranmiyan and co! grin
Well, they also wrote the kings James version of the Bible. They know better than you do

3 Likes

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 5:34am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
Well, they also wrote the kings James version of the Bible. They know better than you do

When evil enters a person, the right full overtake him.
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 7:10am On Oct 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

They wrote the Bible, you don’t know better than them

2 Likes

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 7:14am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
They wrote the Bible, you don’t know better than them

They did not write the Bible, they translated it into their own language and put it together. And I can do the same.

"When evil enters a person, the right full overtake him."
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 7:18am On Oct 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

They did not write the Bible, they translated it into their own language and put it together. And I can do the same.

"When evil enters a person, the right full overtake him."
What have you done?
They are an authority, you are a nobody.

They know better than you

3 Likes

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:19am On Oct 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Why argue with him?
He should have mentioned a place in the Bible that relates to England since in his own brain the Bible originated from England! cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 7:21am On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Why argue with him?
He should have mentioned a place in the Bible that relates to England since in his own brain the Bible originated from England! cheesy
They know better than you.
You church will join in the apology soon cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 7:26am On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Why argue with him?

grin
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:28am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
They know better than you.
You church will join in the apology soon cheesy

You're a black man so i don't need to argue with you, sebi it's England that wrote your history and dictated how you should run your government, why won't you believe they're your god! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 7:39am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
What have you done?
They are an authority, you are a nobody.

They know better than you

Even children have acquired authority over their parents!

But when evil enters a person, the right full overtake him! grin
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Even children have acquired authority over their parents!

But when evil enters a person, the right full overtake him! grin

They brought the religion to Africa, they know more than you.
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

You're a black man so i don't need to argue with you, sebi it's England that wrote your history and dictated how you should run your government, why won't you believe they're your god! cheesy
The Church of England brought Christianity to Nigeria.
You can’t know better than them cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:02am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
The Church of England brought Christianity to Nigeria.
You can’t know better than them cheesy
Atheism really makes you people hopeless to the point that you can't even use your brains anymore. You just want to debunk God at all cost even if it means throwing away your brains. So if someone brought you something it means you can't know better than the person shey? undecided
I use to think atheists have brains o!
Well there's no problem, if you think England brought Bible and they also brought Atheism no wahala you chose atheism while others chose Bible! wink

2 Likes

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 9:04am On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Atheism really makes you people hopeless to the point that you can't even use your brains anymore. You just want to debunk God at all cost even if it means throwing away your brains. So if someone brought you something it means you can't know better than the person shey? undecided
I use to think atheists have brains o!
Well there's no problem, if you think England brought Bible and they also brought Atheism no wahala you chose atheism while others chose Bible! wink
Church England brought Christianity to Nigeria. A local expert like you don't know better
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:52am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
They brought the religion to Africa, they know more than you.

So did they bring phones, cars, books etc and SO DID THEY TAKE from us oil, coal cocoa etc Nothing unusual here.

My parents, teachers neighbours, once knew better than I BUT WHEN I KNEW WHAT THEY KNEW, I WAS EQUAL TO THEM AND WHEN I KNEW MORE THAN THEY DID, THEN I WAS BETTER THAN THEM.

AND NOW MY FIRST BORN IS ON HIS WAY TO OVERTAKE ME, NOTHING UNUSUAL HERE.

For as said in Nigeria, Life is turn by turn. My time has come my time will go.

But But when evil enters a person, the right full shall overtake him! grin

You can mention yourself!
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 9:55am On Oct 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

So did they bring phones, cars, books etc and SO DID THEY TAKE from us oil, coal cocoa etc Nothing unusual here.

My parents, teachers neighbours, once knew better than I BUT WHEN I KNEW WHAT THEY KNEW, I WAS EQUAL TO THEM AND WHEN I KNEW MORE THAN THEY DID, THEN I WAS BETTER THAN THEM.

AND NOW MY FIRST BORN IS ON HIS WAY TO OVERTAKE ME, NOTHING UNUSUAL HERE.

For as said in Nigeria, Life is turn by turn. My time has come my time will go.

But But when evil enters a person, the right full shall overtake him! grin

You can mention yourself!

You are an African expert who wants to know better than those who brought the religion to you.

They believe evolution is tru because they accept evidence. Deal with it grin

I can’t take you by your words over those that brought the religion to you
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
Church England brought Christianity to Nigeria. A local expert like you don't know better
Instead of arguing blindly let me enlighten you!

Christianity has to do with what the man Jesus established in the first century, try read it and stop deceiving yourself.
Find out for yourself if what Jesus taught has anything to do with what the British brought here!
Sure, the British brought a religion here and claimed it is Christianity but you take the book and read for yourself to know if what they were practicing has anything to do with what the man from Nazareth taught.

It's time you stop being fooled by whatever a white man say. They brought their religion you foolishly swallowed it saying it's Christianity, they told you evolution is another better option you swallow again.
Haba, can't you use your own brain for once?

Well if you must know, what those people brought to Africa has absolutely nothing to do with what the man from Nazareth taught, your people were scammed! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 11:59am On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Instead of arguing blindly let me enlighten you!

Christianity has to do with what the man Jesus established in the first century, try read it and stop deceiving yourself.
Find out for yourself if what Jesus taught has anything to do with what the British brought here!
Sure, the British brought a religion here and claimed it is Christianity but you take the book and read for yourself to know if what they were practicing has anything to do with what the man from Nazareth taught.

It's time you stop being fooled by whatever a white man say. They brought their religion you foolishly swallowed it saying it's Christianity, they told you evolution is another better option you swallow again.
Haba, can't you use your own brain for once?

Well if you must know, what those people brought to Africa has absolutely nothing to do with what the man from Nazareth taught, your people were scammed! smiley
Church still brought the religion to you. They have started doing it before you.
You are just an African expert cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:38pm On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
Church still brought the religion to you. They have started doing it before you.
You are just an African expert cheesy
This is why you won't make anything tangible despite all your argument on Nairaland.
When you missed something try to make amendment not stubbornly arguing blindly!

They were politicians who used a religion that's strange as cover to enslave our people, what they brought has nothing to do with Christianity. Read the book and find out what the man Jesus taught not what the British called Christianity for you! smiley
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

This is why you won't make anything tangible despite all your argument on Nairaland.
When you missed something try to make amendment not stubbornly arguing blindly!

They were politicians who used a religion that's strange as cover to enslave our people, what they brought has nothing to do with Christianity. Read the book and find out what the man Jesus taught not what the British called Christianity for you! smiley
I rather listen to those that brought the religion to you as authorities instead of an African expert
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
I rather listen to those that brought the religion to you as authorities instead of an African expert
Well i'm not practicing the religion of England, Christianity came from Israel! wink
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Well i'm not practicing the religion of England, Christianity came from Israel! wink
well, we have more Muslims than Christians in Isreal cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
well, we have more Muslims than Christians in Isreal cheesy
That's to show you how people choose what they like but you take the book and read not just sit down arguing based on what people say.
If someone talk about evolution now you will start talking as if you're co-author with Darwin but Bible you will not read only arguing based on what people say. That doesn't make you the smart type you want to prove yourself! wink
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

That's to show you how people choose what they like but you take the book and read not just sit down arguing based on what people say.
If someone talk about evolution now you will start talking as if you're co-author with Darwin but Bible you will not read only arguing based on what people say. That doesn't make you the smart type you want to prove yourself! wink
Its shows that Isreal is not a Christian country and has never been cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:
Its shows that Isreal is not a Christian country and has never been cheesy
Have you read the book to know what really happened or you're just a dummy that's tossed about with every wind of information? smiley
You keep calling me expert as if something will flog you if you read the book yourself to know how the story goes! cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Have you read the book to know what really happened or you're just a dummy that's tossed about with every wind of information? smiley
You keep calling me expert as if something will flog you if you read the book yourself to know how the story goes! cheesy
We know where that the Bible was put together not in Isreal but in Rome.

Isreal is not Christian country and has never been Christian. This truth can kill cheesy
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:17pm On Oct 25, 2021
Workch:

We know where that the Bible was put together not in Isreal but in Rome.
Isreal is not Christian country and has never been Christian. This truth can kill cheesy
Sure the book wasn't put together in Israel but the information inside has nothing to do with England, and there can never be a Christian country because Jesus' teaching is not to be taken as a constitution to rule people who are not interested in what Jesus taught. It mustn't be forced on anyone, those who are subjects of his teachings willingly surrendered themselves to his teachings. So there can never be a Christian country where those ruling will be talking about Jesus' teachings to be imposed on people who don't accept it!

So learn what the book says not what people around you are saying about the book! smiley
Re: Church Of England Apologized To Charles Darwin In 2008 And Accepted Evolution. by Workch: 6:44pm On Oct 25, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Sure the book wasn't put together in Israel but the information inside has nothing to do with England, and there can never be a Christian country because Jesus' teaching is not to be taken as a constitution to rule people who are not interested in what Jesus taught. It mustn't be forced on anyone, those who are subjects of his teachings willingly surrendered themselves to his teachings. So there can never be a Christian country where those ruling will be talking about Jesus' teachings to be imposed on people who don't accept it!

So learn what the book says not what people around you are saying about the book! smiley
Isreal is Judaism and the Old Testament, the remaining fraud called New Testament was compiled in Rome

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenya Pastor Propose Marriage To Widow During Burial Of Her Husband / Christians: Be Careful... How I Was Almost Initiated. / BREAKING: Police Detain Abuja Pastor Preaching With AK-47

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.