Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,217 members, 7,815,254 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 (12831 Views)

Atiku Campaign Spokesman, Bwala Accidentally Says PDP Won’t Win 2023 Presidency / Edo: Saraki, PDP Leaders Pressure INEC Chairman To Rig Election- SaharaReporters / Anambra 2021: We Won’t Zone Governorship Ticket –PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by ItsTutsi(m): 12:45pm On Oct 27, 2021
By Chinelo Obogo

Former Senate president, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has said despite the fact that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has zoned its national chairmanship to the North Central, it did not prevent any qualified aspirant from any zone from contesting the presidency in 2023.

Speaking on a national television programme monitored in Lagos, yesterday, the former Kwara State governor debunked speculations that the party would zone its presidency to the south since it zoned its national chairmanship to the north.

He said the leadership of the party had at different fora reiterated its commitment to throwing open the contest for the 2023 presidential ticket to all zones as long as it gets the best candidate from the process.

“On the issue of zoning, the party has made it very clear in all our meetings that even though we have zoned the position of party offices, it does not preclude anybody that has any presidential ambition. Most of our leaders have said that, and we have said that at our NEC, and all the possible meetings, that even though we have taken the chairmanship of the party to the North Central, it does not preclude anyone from contesting. What we are looking for is the best candidate that would win the election"

Saraki said the party was undaunted by the defection of three of its governors (Ebonyi, Zamfara and Cross River), federal and state legislators, saying that such actions were expected. He, however, said the PDP will receive a former governor into its fold this week, and that Nigerians should not be surprise if bigwigs from the All Progressives Congress (APC) defect to the PDP when the 2023 elections draws closer.

“It is not true that we are haemorrhaging members because I had said it a couple of times that there were certain governors that we knew were going to leave. In fact, they had left, but we were just waiting for their final exit, so we were not surprised. We have got some big wigs that will be coming to our party this week, there is a former governor that would join us and you should know that when leaders in the ruling party want to defect, they don’t defect early. I think Nigerians should not be surprised when they begin to see some defections from the ruling party.

“In 2015, the number of states that APC has now is almost the same as what we had in the PDP, and the concern that people are defecting should not matter. More importantly, the country is in a different place now and Nigerians have seen what the ruling party has to offer. We all have differences in our party and we are resolving because this is the only alternative party for Nigerians that would provide leadership, that is why we in the PDP believe that the interest of Nigerians should supersede our individual interests. We have been able to resolve our differences across the states so that we can convince Nigerians that we are able to take over the leadership of the country,” he said.

When asked if he will contest for the presidency in 2023, he said it was too early for anyone to declare such ambition even as he debunked speculations that if he contested and lost, he would leave the PDP.

“Because some people defected from the PDP to APC does not mean that I would defect. You have to look at my antecedents in 2019 and you will see that the fact that I didn’t win elections didn’t make me defect, so I can’t see why that would come up. Where we are now is not about anyone’s personal ambition, it is about how we can work to make this country better. What is important for us is to build a strong party and that was why I took up the responsibility of leading the reconciliation committee because there was concern that the party was losing a lot of steam. We can’t talk about our ambition without a strong party and in due time I will answer the question of whether I will contest or not.”

On the court case brought against the PDP by its former national chairman, Uche Secondus, he said: “We have a court case involving him because he is still our chairman, but we are looking beyond that and looking at our congress. Do we look like a party that is resolving its issues and trying to move forward to its convention to elect new leaders? Today, we are not meeting to resolve state congresses because we have been able to move forward. We cannot afford to get it wrong in 2023 and PDP is in a better position to give credible leadership.”
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/pdp-wont-zone-presidency-in-2023-saraki/

4 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by PrinceOfLagos: 12:47pm On Oct 27, 2021
Atiku?

I will like the PDP to zone the presidency to the south but if Atiku somehow emerge as the presidential flag bearer of the party, then it's gonna be an easy ride to victory for him.

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by klonboi: 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2021
cheesy
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Davash222(m): 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
Atiku?

I will like the PDP to zone the presidency to the south but if Atiku someone emerge as the presidential flag bearer of the party, then it's gonna be an easy ride to victory for him.
Between Atiku and Tinubu... I'd rather vote and support a Hen!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by PrinceOfLagos: 12:51pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

If you like support stone , someone or something must emerge president grin

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Davash222(m): 12:54pm On Oct 27, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

If you like support stone , someone or something must emerge president grin
It's more noble for something to emerge as our president than Tinubu or Atiku.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by PrinceOfLagos: 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

It's more noble for something to emerge as our president than Tinubu or Atiku.
Tinubu won't be president be rest assured

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Davash222(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Tinubu won't be president be rest assured
Better. I love to read this reassurance everyday. It gladdens my heart

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by PrinceOfLagos: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

Better. I love to read this reassurance everyday. It gladdens my heart
Ok now that you've whole heartedly rejected Tinubu, any person you have in mind?
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Davash222(m): 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Ok now that you've whole heartedly rejected Tinubu, any person you have in mind?

Anyone from Southern Nigeria except Tinubu is okay by me.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by PrinceOfLagos: 1:02pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

Amaechi , Umahi and Osibanjo . One of this 3 men will make a good president

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by AntonVince: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2021
That's a smart move from the PDP.
Only a northerner can win them the presidency in 2023.

8 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Davash222(m): 1:08pm On Oct 27, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Amaechi , Umahi and Osibanjo . One of this 3 men will make a good president
Osibanjo - We don't need a Lilly livered president, who can be controlled or manipulated by the cabals or Tinubu.

Umahi - A traitor , can't be trusted.

Amaechi - Will be better than Buhari, at least.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by AntonVince: 1:10pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

The South as things stand has only a very slim chance of clinching the presidency in 2023. A Tinubu candidacy will completely eliminate that chance.

6 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Mossadd: 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2021
North go get am

2 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Agape365: 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2021
Last election they were giving the south east a billion reasons to support a northern candidate and 99% of those reasons was that it is wiser because if a northerner wins, the presidency will rotate to the south east. Fast forward till today, that story has now changed.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by benuejosh: 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2021
The North have it!

3 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Usman16(m): 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2021
Na una sabi.
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2021
Davash222:

I'll vote and support the

hen with you

too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by fasho01(m): 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2021
All in a bid to field a nothern candidate, and then fuel religious, ethnic population divide to try and win back the presidency

3 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Tony5050(m): 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2021
We all know what the outcome will be.

Kindly check my signature
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by kingzjay(m): 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2021
Coming from someone who has been a governor for 8 years and later as a senator... These politicians ehn

9 Likes

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Runaway: 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2021
Sorry ..
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by chloride6: 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2021
See handicap...

Present Aboki and lose...

Nonsense...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Dproperties: 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2021
Hungry politicians
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by money121(m): 2:25pm On Oct 27, 2021
Ok
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
Pdp as a political parties are not really a serious challenger to this useless apc government regime's
Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by blamingthedevil: 2:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
God Bless Incoming President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by hibeebeeking: 2:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
That's your personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Saraki: PDP Won’t Zone Presidency In 2023 by Dreamhighnow(m): 2:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
Good development. Fair play

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amuwo Odofin: Appeal Court Upturns Tribunal Verdict, Affirms LP's Olawande / Abia Now Enviable Under Otti, Says Governor Uzodinma / List Of Nigerian Politicians Ban From Entering The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.