Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company (506 Views)

Career Advice Needed. Remain In Dubai Or Accept An Employment Offer In Berlin? / My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned / My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company by Bayoursphere: 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2021
Yesterday I received the most heartbreaking news ever. I had thought losing a postgraduate scholarship was my most heartbreaking moment, but lo and behold, I was wrong.

I had applied to a leading and reputable trading company in Nigeria for a job I saw I was qualified for in August. I had long forgotten about the application as I never received a response after that. But last week Monday, everything was different. I received a call from the company's headquarters telling me that I would have a virtual interview on Tuesday for the position I had applied for. I accepted.

I was interviewed by an expatriate, who happened to be the head of HR at the company, and I could tell from our interaction that I would be successful. My hunch was correct. On Wednesday, I was notified of my employment via email. Oh...I could not contain my joy! The moment I have been waiting for for so long. It's certainly a relief after months of job hunting. On Thursday, I received more documents, including the letter of intent confirming that I will start work on Monday, October 11, 2021.

I resumed work on Monday as stipulated for my documentation but was unable to do anything. The HR of the branch where I was supposed to fill out the paperwork kept me waiting until he asked me to leave and come back yesterday, Tuesday. But I suspected something sinister was about to happen because the HR kept calling back and forth. I reported yesterday for the said purpose and after several hours of waiting, I was called by the head office in Lagos that my employment was not in line with company policy. It was discovered that I have a relative (brother) who already works for the company. The company does not allow relatives to work. He works in another branch where I filed my documents while I was recruited to work at another branch in a different State. That was how I lost the job yesterday.

All I know is that spouses are not allowed to work in the same organization, but what is wrong with relatives working for the same organization. And come to think of it, I was not informed of this policy during my hiring process. My relative said he did not know either thus he would have advised me not to apply.

What is the reason for this, I wonder? Is it fear of sentiment? Fear of stealing the company's money or not being productive? Why can relatives work in the same company? I was not even hired to work in the same branch/zone as him. What is all this fuss about?

I have not been myself since yesterday. The excitement, the expectations, the planning, all gone. But I know there is hope. I will rise again.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company by NobleSeed(m): 9:37pm On Oct 27, 2021
All I know is that spouses are not allowed to work in the same organization, but what is wrong with relatives working for the same organization. And come to think of it, I was not informed of this policy during my hiring process. My relative said he did not know either thus he would have advised me not to apply. sorry for your ordeal .
God will embarrassed you with employment keep applying and keep hoping.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2021
Relatives, spouses, what's the difference? They are all still related.

It's a policy I've known about for years now. Companies don't employ members of the same family because they believe relatives can easily connive with each other and defraud the company especially if they hold very high and sensitive positions in the company.

I remember when I was still job hunting. I begged my elder sister to fix me up in her company but she stood her grounds and said no, that two sisters are not allowed to work in the same company.

Even when another branch opened and I got wind of it that they needed some staff there, I called her again to help me get in. my sis no gree o. Initially, I thought it was wickedness but I later understood why and again she works in the account department.

Anyways sorry for your loss. God will give you yours.
Anything that brings sorrow is not from God. For it is written, "the blessings of God maketh rich and addeth no sorrow". So cheer up. Its gonna be good.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company by doggedfighter(f): 10:07pm On Oct 27, 2021
Re: How I Was Denied An Employment Because My Brother Works For The Same Company by Pierocash(m): 10:11pm On Oct 27, 2021
People with senseless policies. Even football that pays their players billions of Hard currencies still sign siblings playing in the same club.

(1) (Reply)

The Institute Of Credit Administration / Help Me Decide My Future Career / Massive Recruitment At Arrupe Jesuit College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.