Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. (12063 Views)

3 Nigerians Who Are Not Yoruba But Currently Holding Political Offices In Lagos / Fani-Kayode: I Am Not Yoruba, Fulanis Call South-East Yamiri & South-West Yoruba / There Are Two Moments In History When, As A Yoruba, I Was Embarrassed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Drogunov: 2:16pm On Oct 31, 2021
Nooel1:

If you meet a Kogi person then tell him he/she is Yoruba and see if they won't remove your tooth for you.

Look you are not getting my gist( obviously subject to the intended confusion by the political creators). Kogi is a political construct. Its not a social creation. There are ethnic groups within the political creation. We have the Igalas( who speak a yoruboid language), the Igbiras, the Igbos, Kakandas/Nupe, the Yorubas(Okun and Oworo people). People with distinct language and culture. You can only define a people by their language/culture which are social constructs. Not by entities created for corrupt political convenience. So, yes. There are Yoruba people in Kogi State. And it is safe to call these Yorubas, just like you can call an Igala man or Igbira man exactly what they are.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Paretomaster1(m): 2:30pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlayerForever:

Igala man can never ever claim to be Yoruba. Get your facts right.

Calm down Ogah, did he mention Igala up there Igala, Bassa, Ebira are not Yoruba, we are talking about the Yoruba speaking part of Kogi, the Okuns...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Paretomaster1(m): 2:35pm On Oct 31, 2021
After every said, and done, I believe issues like this is the reason we can never move forward as a nation, we are always basing everything on tribal sentiment.

If we can't unite as a tribe, how can we unite as a nation? We all want to go to Europe, and America,becone citizen, and claim to be from there, even though we look different, but back hone here, all we are going is trying hard to divide ourselves along ethnic, and religion lines...

Why can't we see ourselves as NIGERIANS, like the outside world see us?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Caleb91(m): 2:37pm On Oct 31, 2021
paramakina202:

Do you speak Igbo to understand the difference in dialects?
Say what you know cos Yoruba also have different dialects.
In Igbo land every Village or town speaks their own dialect no town or village speaks what you call full language whatever that is.
if you dont know please know now
the yorubas have general language that they speak even if the state of origin is different.....every local govt in SW have it own dialect....but there is a general language for all yorubas...
know this and know peace

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Paretomaster1(m): 2:40pm On Oct 31, 2021
Drogunov:

Look you are not getting my gist( obviously subject to the intended confusion by the political creators). Kogi is a political construct. Its not a social creation. There are ethnic groups within the political creation. We have the Igalas( who speak a yoruboid language), the Igbiras, the Igbos, Kakandas/Nupe, the Yorubas(Okun and Oworo people). People with distinct language and culture. You can only define a people by their language/culture which are social constructs. Not by entities created for corrupt political convenience. So, yes. There are Yoruba people in Kogi State. And it is safe to call these Yorubas, just like you can call an Igala man or Igbira man exactly what they are.

As simple as that, an HAUSA man is an HAUSA man in Ghana, Niger, Nigeria, and in all the countries they are, and you wonder why they are United, and why the Hausa ranked 2nd Most spoken language in Africa?

There are Yoruba in Kogi, just d way we have Bassa, Igala, Ebira etc... Even Nupe, and kabawa.... The state is just a political creation, it does not change the people, and culture...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by PrudencyFeats: 2:43pm On Oct 31, 2021
leksite120:
That's not true, most of the Yoruba people of Kogi proudly claim to be Yoruba.
It's different from the Igbo type.
For the Igbo type, most just have some dialect of Igbo but not full language.

For the Yoruba Kogi, they speak full Yoruba, so why would they deny being Yoruba? If they don't claim Yoruba, which tribe would they proudly claim

Sir, which of the yorubas dialect is full yoruba?
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by 1Sharon(f): 2:52pm On Oct 31, 2021
JAMO84:
Be deceiving yourself.

Every single Yoruba outside the South West will proudly claim Yoruba heritage.

Kogi state Yoruba will fight you dirty if you dare call him any other tribe. Only Igbo of other regions do everything possible to deny their root.

So why the yoruba names then?

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by 1Sharon(f): 2:54pm On Oct 31, 2021
Ekejoestar:
Honestly what the OP said it's true though I haven't given any thought to it but I've seen many people claiming kogi state but they speak Yoruba and it have made me think that maybe kogi is a distinct tribe on its own but I personally know two people who claims they are not Yoruba but kogi, I live in Ogun State Atan to be precise and deals in plumbing materials and most of my customers are yorubas, so don't doubt me.

They are northern yorubas.
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by 1Sharon(f): 2:58pm On Oct 31, 2021
awesonjr:

I'm igala and I speak Yoruba, I don't understand igala because I was not born in kogi, my mum give birth to me in Ilorin & we live with Yoruba people in my compound. now tell me those this means I'm Yoruba

Yoruboid.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2021
1Sharon:

Yoruboid.
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by 1Sharon(f): 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
awesonjr:

Yes. Look up the term.
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by bahdpersona(m): 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlayerForever:

Igala man can never ever claim to be Yoruba. Get your facts right.
Is Igala the major ethnic group in kogi?
Have you forgotten that there's still OKUN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by SlayerForever: 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2021
bahdpersona:

Is Igala the major ethnic group in kogi?
Have you forgotten that there's still OKUN

Of course Igala are. Okun are not big players in Kogi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by SlayerForever: 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2021
Paretomaster1:

Calm down Ogah, did he mention Igala up there Igala, Bassa, Ebira are not Yoruba, we are talking about the Yoruba speaking part of Kogi, the Okuns...

They are not really at the fore of things in Kogi.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by akeeng: 3:43pm On Oct 31, 2021
kollinzgee:
I have met countless Kogi people say this even though they are Yoruba speaking part of Kogi,one is Tunde from yagba and tbe other is oyindamola from kabba,it's not just an Igbo thing it's a Nationwide thing,a average Kogi sees himself as a distinct from Yoruba,e no go better for divide and rule people..
I’m Kogi, Yagba, I’m not Yoruba

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Iamgrey5(m): 3:43pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlayerForever:

They are not really at the fore of things in Kogi.
They have a senatorial district just like igbira and Igala.

Even though their population is not as much as igbira people, they have a larger land mass than the igbira in Kogi and 6 local government areas.

They also are the largest indigenous people in Lokoja, the Kogi state capital.

Obajana the Dangote cement factory is located in Yoruba side of Kogi.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by SlayerForever: 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2021
Iamgrey5:
They have a senatorial district just like igbira and Igala.

Even though their population is not as much as igbira people, they have a larger land mass in Kogi and 7 local government area.

They also are the largest indigenous people in Lokoja, the Kogi state capital.

Larger land mass than?
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Iamgrey5(m): 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlayerForever:

Larger land mass than?
than igbira

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Iamgrey5(m): 3:54pm On Oct 31, 2021
akeeng:

I’m Kogi, Yagba, I’m not Yoruba
This is the Okun man that has often claimed he is not Yoruba I have ever met. cheesy

Jacksparrow
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by akeeng: 3:58pm On Oct 31, 2021
Iamgrey5:
This is the Okun man that has often claimed he is not Yoruba I have ever met. cheesy

Jacksparrow
grin grin how you doing bro? Long time.

I’m Yagba, not Yo’oba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by akeeng: 4:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
leksite120:
That's not true, most of the Okun Yoruba people of Kogi proudly claim to be Yoruba.
It's different from the Igbo type.
For the Igbo type, most just have some dialect of Igbo but not full language.

For the Yoruba Kogi Okun, they speak full Yoruba, so why would they deny being Yoruba? If they don't claim Yoruba, which tribe would they proudly claim
You are completely wrong. Stop misleading people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Iamgrey5(m): 4:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
akeeng:

I’m Yagba, not Yo’oba
I am good bruv grin

I believe you people are Yoruba now but you might have been addressed as that precolonial Nigeria.

Although I understand logic and respect your decision.
Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
@OP.

What is the point of this thread? If some folks in Kogi say they are not Yorubas then so what?

Is that meant to annoy the Yorubas who are not covetous, or obsessed with laying claim to people and borders, as others are?

Abeg, Yorubas are not forcing anyone to pledge ethnic allegiance. Kogi folks are free to choose what/who they are. Their choice wont bother the average Yoruba who is not wired to give a damn.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by seunmsg(m): 4:03pm On Oct 31, 2021
Igbos and their constant urge to do dick measurement with Yoruba. Some of you don’t know when to stop your mischievousness. Will this thread stop folks like Sunday Oliseh from emphatically declaring that they are not Igbo? Will this thread stop an Okun man from seeking integration back with the south west? Will this thread stop Ekiti people in Kwara state from being Ekiti? OP, I really shame for you.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Aderostock(m): 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
akeeng:

I’m Yagba, not Yo’oba
Speak for yourself.
Juwon, popular musician from kogi west is a yoruba man. Ibitayo Lambo, former minister of Health from kogi, a yoruba man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by seunmsg(m): 4:06pm On Oct 31, 2021
Dsalvo:
@OP.

What is the point of this thread? If some folks in Kogi say they are not Yorubas then so what?

Is that meant to annoy the Yorubas who are not covetous, or obsessed with laying claim to people and borders, as others are?

Abeg, Yorubas are not forcing anyone to pledge ethnic allegiance. Kogi folks are free to choose what/who they are. Their choice wont bother the average Yoruba who is not wired to give a damn.

You sound like you believe the OP and that’s worrisome. Igbo folks like the OP are just mischievous. Nobody from Okun denied being Yoruba to him. Okun people migrated directly from Ile Ife so they are as Yoruba as someone who is from Ile Ife today. The OP is a liar who should not be taken seriously.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by meccuno: 4:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
Zenithh:
Big lie

Kogites will proudly claim Yoruba. Unlike ibos. A delta man from Aniona will tell u plainly he is delta and not Ibo.

I think for them it boils down to the way the real ibos have succeeded in tarnishing their image both locally and internationally. When it comes to fake drugs,drug trafficking,fake products,cheating,wickedness the Ibo man dey for front.

Be good and pple will want to identify with you.

I am not saying there are no bad eggs in Yoruba land or among d yorubas
but Tinubu being a drug baron did not tarnish the image of the Yorubas? Afonja lie small small. Don't let that algae soup you eat called ewedu turn you to a brainless amoeba. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by akeeng: 4:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
Aderostock:

Speak for yourself.
Juwon, popular musician from kogi west is a yoruba man. Ibitayo Lambo, former minister of Health from kogi, a yoruba man.

Are you an Okun man? If you’re not, then I’m not discussing nothing with you. Bye

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by richiemcgold: 4:11pm On Oct 31, 2021
PrudencyFeats:

Sir, which of the yorubas dialect is full yoruba?

the particular version used in writing Yoruba Bible is a good example of a fully and generally accepted Yoruba language.
this particular version is also the type of Yoruba mostly used for dialogue in Yoruba movies. It cuts across all dialects in Yoruba land.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by akeeng: 4:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
Iamgrey5:
I am good bruv grin

I believe you people are Yoruba now but you might have been addressed as that precolonial Nigeria.

Although I understand logic and respect your decision.
The Itsekiri people answer Yoruba names, some even speak. Some part of Eden start, Akoko Edo answer Yoruba names and even speak Yoruba to some extent. Same with Ogori and Magongo people. So why do you not refer to them as Yorubas? It’s because they are simply not Yorubas. Same goes for Okun people.

We are simply Okuns NOT Yoruba. We have our own identity, we aren’t an appendage to nobody

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Yoruba I Am Kogi: this Thing Is Everywhere. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 31, 2021
seunmsg:

You sound like you believe the OP and that’s worrisome. Igbo folks like the OP are just mischievous. Nobody from Okun denied being Yoruba to him. Okun people migrated directly from Ile Ife so they are as Yoruba as someone who is from Ile Ife today. The OP is a liar who should not be taken seriously.

I don't believe the OP as I know much better than he does. I know his motivation. Point is that Yoruba is an ethnic group those in places outside Nigeria, and even Africa, belong to by genetic and cultural history.

We don't need to claim anything or anyone as the unloved Igbos are always keen to do only to meet rejection.

I don't know of any group of people who have formally petitioned the national assembly, as Kwara and Kogi folks have done, to be joined with others.

Has any group of people done so for the Igbo ethnic group the OP belongs to? Joke is on him and not the Yorubas he wants to antagonize out of inferiority complex for them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/yoruba-in-kwara-kogi-demand-merger-with-south-west/%3famp

Yoruba in Kwara, Kogi demand merger with South-West

Tunde Oyekola
26 September 2020

The Yoruba ethnic group in Kwara and Kogi states has demanded a merger with their kith and kin in the South-West region through boundary adjustment.

The group, which occupies seven local government areas in Kwara South senatorial zone and five LGAs in Kogi State, in a statement on Friday, said it had forwarded a memorandum to the National Assembly on the platform of Kwara South Consultative Forum.

According to the National President of the forum, Pa Joseph Aderibigbe, who was the first Secretary to Kwara State Government when it was created in 1967, the group submitted a memorandum to the 9th National Assembly’s Committee on Review of the Nigerian Constitution, with a demand for the merging of the Yoruba of Kwara and Kogi with their kinsmen in the South-West through boundary adjustment.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gbadebo Vivour-Rhodes: Lagos Is Far From Excellence, Not Yet Working / 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes / Oke Was Not Arrested By The Military - Media Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.