Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,304 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

The Book 'Things Fall Apart' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book 'Things Fall Apart' (2099 Views)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by disney(f): 10:05pm On Feb 13, 2006
I have read so many African novels but nothing has ever touched my heart like "Things Fall Apart". Chinua Achebe is one Nigerian writer l think stands out even to this day. What do you think?
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Seun(m): 4:13am On Feb 14, 2006
When I tried to watch the movie adaptation of the book, I was very much disturbed by the primitive, murderous culture of those days.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by oasis: 2:50am On Feb 17, 2006
Oh yes! It's a masterpiece. I was remember discussing it with an English teacher of mine. She couldn't stop laughing. She recalled the part about the character who owed everybody, and had an inscription on the wall for each debt just for fun. He never had any intention of paying back the debt.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by EvilSlayer(m): 2:54am On Feb 17, 2006
I've read the book like a million times. it's one of the very few African books you can find on the book stands at Borders books.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by monie0078(f): 4:02am On Feb 17, 2006
Yes I have to agree with that, I've read that book about a million times as well, Never tired of it either, Awesome Book!
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by EvilSlayer(m): 4:35am On Feb 17, 2006
You have a grate smile Monie0078. smiley smiley smiley Just the kind of smile that can brighten a dark room. cool
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by monie0078(f): 4:42am On Feb 17, 2006
wow! that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a REALLY long time, thanks. smiley
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by EvilSlayer(m): 4:47am On Feb 17, 2006
Sorry sis you need to be around nice people more often then, grin grin you have a smile to die for. I'm not saying this cause I'm trying to hit on you or nothing, I just say things the way they are.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Free(f): 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2006
i heard is a really good book, so am going to read it
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Badman888(m): 1:16am On Mar 30, 2006
Heared the book was really good too, i think i attempted reading it some time back 4gotten
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by GL(f): 2:07am On Mar 30, 2006
It's been long since I read the book and I was quite young then, about 12 or 13, so I can't remember much. I remember I enjoyed reading African novels, I haven't come across any since I left secondary school though.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by vichel(m): 2:36am On Mar 30, 2006
That book is great, and my school has made it a major book to get when taking the course African American Studies
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by hanson: 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2006
I think  this writer Elechi Amadi made an impact in THE CONCUBINE.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Johnny(m): 12:20pm On Apr 04, 2006
You are correct.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Efani(m): 1:16am On Apr 05, 2006
how can u read books, lol watch t.v or play games or sumtin
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by peu(f): 3:14am On Apr 06, 2006
i don't like reading novels
only if it worth credits for my assessment
but i am never tired of re-reading times fall apart
i am so proud of it here in newzealand.
but i don't really like the movie
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by GL(f): 1:08am On Apr 07, 2006
yeah, The Concubine is cool.

I used to read African novels b4 and I enjoyed them. I don't see them anymore.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by bolaoni(m): 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2006
Things Fall Apart?

Wonderful storyline. Achebe is infact a wonderful story teller.

I can read an reread it any day any time.

The book made me fall in love with all of Achebe's work!
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by spikelord(m): 8:53am On Jun 03, 2006
I wouldn't read the book cuz of the long story, but I managed to watch the movie some few years ago!
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by kafero(m): 5:44am On Jun 08, 2006
Things Fall Apart is inspirational. I have read so many books but they don't come near to it in terms of depth of African heritage.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by shawna(f): 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2006
love that book just read it recently i cried when okonkwo killed himself at the enddamn those white people angry tongue
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by WesleyanA(f): 12:45am On Jun 25, 2006
spikelord:

I wouldn't read the book because of the long story, but I managed to watch the movie some few years ago!

Is there a longer version of Things Fall Apart? embarassed
the version I read was kind of short and came to an abrupt end! (where okonkwo dies)

I like te author's style of writing though. simple and straight, marked by brevity.

Does the story have a sequel because i didn't want it to end just like that. undecided
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by ladex142(m): 6:32am On Jun 29, 2006
DID YOU KNOW that "Things fall apart" is very similar to the "Oedipus the king", which are both great books but am alarmed greatly by the similarities in the two books that i came up with two questions,
1. Is it Plagiarism and
2. Which author Plagiarized ?

Have anybody read the two books ?
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Kadeejah(f): 6:52am On Jun 29, 2006
it wuz kind@ boring nd i didnt really understand it buh it wuz aight
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by smartsoft(m): 4:06am On Jun 30, 2006
someone aren't saying anything like cocune babone ! in my little age then read it very intrested awwwwwww things fall apart hahaha i could remember the place where Okonkwo was eating his yam cheesy
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by Shagari2(m): 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2006
Read the book in sec school, liked it then but I've now forgotten what happened unlike some other books I read at the time so I'll say for some reason that it has'nt really left a lasting impression with me but I know the book is good and Chinua Achebe a brilliant writer so I'll give it 6/10 wink
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by ikamefa(f): 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2006
picked it up from my lib the other day because like shag can't remember what i read some years back, had to drop it for "confessions of a video vixen" tongue hum am sure that would be more interesting right? tongue
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by omogenaija(f): 2:09am On Dec 04, 2006
i didn't find things fall apart very interesting . i just finished the book and i feel that although its based on fact it just supports the stereotypical image of africa to others who believe africa is just a village. i think the story could have been told in a better way if it was modern. ( i know people will soon start attacking me for my comments). undecided
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by olsmade(m): 1:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
quite some time i read it so cant really remember the storyline, just faintly but i remember being impressed with the book
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by uzygirl(f): 3:26pm On Jan 12, 2007
ladex142:

DID YOU KNOW that "Things fall apart" is very similar to the "Oedipus the king", which are both great books but am alarmed greatly by the similarities in the two books that i came up with two questions,
1. Is it Plagiarism and
2. Which author Plagiarized ?

Have anybody read the two books ?

@ladex142

I think you are getting your stories wrong. "Things Fall Apart" is a very original piece.

I read one unabridged copy of Sophocles book, "Three Thebian Plays- 'Oedipus the King', 'Oedipus at , (somewhere, I cant remember the name now)' and 'Antigone" from my father's library some years back. Its said to be one of the greatest tragedy ever written.

The book you should be refering to is Wole Soyinka's "The Gods Are Not To Blame", The storyline is alarmingly similar with "Odepus the King" ], personally I think one writer read the other book and got ideas. But when I checked, I discovered that Sophocles wrote his book between around 429BCE. Well, that helps us to draw conclusions, doesn't it?

1 Like

Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by TerraCotta(m): 6:25pm On Jan 12, 2007
Writers get inspiration and even re-use plots all the time. Half of Shakespeare's most famous plays (Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, The Two Gentlemen of Verona etc.) were based wholesale on existing works or incorporated existing characters. I'm not familiar with "The Gods are Not to Blame", but I don't think the practice of using plot elements from an earlier work is all that rare or scandalous.
Re: The Book 'Things Fall Apart' by TerraCotta(m): 6:29pm On Jan 12, 2007
WesleyanA:

Does the story have a sequel because i didn't want it to end just like that. undecided

"No Longer at Ease" is something of a sequel to "Things Fall Apart". It's all about Okonkwo's grandson though, so the story is not a linear continuation. Good read if you like Achebe's style, though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Story: The Devil Who Loved Me [episode 1] / What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? / Photos :biography Of Chief Of Defense Staff Alex Sabundu Badeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.