Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Why Are Most Parents Like This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Most Parents Like This? (1017 Views)

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" / Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much / Why Are Some Parents Like This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 8:45am On Nov 01, 2021
Last nite, I over-heard a heated arguement between a Father and his two female children. They are my neighbours, with just Fence seperating us. The father was insisting on the children leaving the house except if the children will contribute to paying the house rent and assist in providing food too. The first daughter, to the best of my knowledge is an SSCE Holder. She teachs in a primary school and in d evening, she would go to where she is learning fashion nd designing. My problem is, why would a parent be dependant on d children for survival instead of the other way round? Am somehow indirectly suffering the same fate too and so are many youths too. Is it not the parents who are supposed to set us up, untill we are able to stand on our own? How did we get here please?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Lawlab249: 8:48am On Nov 01, 2021
Chai
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Solofresh2: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2021
I wonder about this too and it makes me feel bad because parents should only demand from a child they know they settled and not the ones that they didn't even send to a higher institution or to learn a trade.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 01, 2021
How old are they?

Well.. it is wrong to be expecting or demanding so much from the children at this stage/age especially when they ( the parents) have not trained them to the level where they can independently handle certain financial responsibilities on their own.
Even Anthony Joshua at his level, complained about the same thing some months ago.

I could remember when we were still living with pops. He never placed any such demands on us even though most of us were already working and financially independent. He still bought the monthly bag of rice. Dropped money for food and
paid the bills. All we did was take care of our personal needs with our earnings. Only once in a blue moon whenever his pension is delayed due to his visit to Abuja for physical screening, that we just buy the monthly bag of rice or do some house maintenance stuff on our account. Apart from that, he carried out his financial responsibilities up until we left him to rent our own apartment. Still sometimes, he'll buy rice and distribute to everyone in their cribs. Or send money to us. Ah.. God bless his soul.

That man should be called to order before he pushes them into crime or make them to start living indecent lifestyle just to meet up with his demands.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 01, 2021
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 9:14am On Nov 01, 2021
Solofresh2:
I wonder about this too and it makes me feel bad because parents should only demand from a child they know they settled and not the ones that they didn't even send to a higher institution or to learn a trade.
after acquiring a university degree or acquiring trade skill, is it just enough for parents to hands_off? Are parents not suppose to even groom and sponsor their children till they become independent? Is a university degree enough to make a child independent in dis harsh economy of ours?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 9:16am On Nov 01, 2021
Mercychen:
H
Ibiakwala
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 01, 2021
Promzy99:
Ibiakwala

tongue
Ogini na fio?
You no dey forget something?

Oya, sorry. No vex about the other day. I take back my words.
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Solofresh2: 9:38am On Nov 01, 2021
Promzy99:
after acquiring a university degree or acquiring trade skill, is it just enough for parents to hands_off? Are parents not suppose to even groom and sponsor their children till they become independent? Is a university degree enough to make a child independent in dis harsh economy of ours?
You are right but most of them always believe that when their children start working, they should start providing for them which is very wrong.
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by tobechi74: 10:29am On Nov 01, 2021
Parents want children for selfish reason

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by tobechi74: 10:35am On Nov 01, 2021
Forced to grow up fast

Saddled with responsibility beyond me

Overdeveloped sence of duty

Working when my peers played with sand

Functioning as an adult at a tender age

My childhood taken away from me

Doing their job

Confusing role reversal

Little opportunity to be playful

Pleased them at all cost

While suppressing my own needs

Grown into a serious minded adult

Attracted to troubled partner

And trying to fix them

https://tobechispeaks./2021/02/04/parenting-your-parent/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Myzubby(m): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2021
this Life sef
some parents does not want their children to leave the house while some are pressuring their own to leave.
Lack of parental care and guide is the begining of hooliganism, banditry , kidnapping , prostitution, bitterness and hatred in relationship, early marriage , and child molestation.
Am grateful to GOD ALMIGHTY FOR MY PARENTS.
IF YOUR PARENTS STILL SUPPORTS YOU PLEASE HONOR THEM THEY DESERVE IT

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 11:00am On Nov 01, 2021
Mercychen:

tongue
Ogini na fio?
You no dey forget something?

Oya, sorry. No vex about the other day. I take back my words.

Lol. Am not angry oo. I would just love seeing you Commenting good.
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Polynek(m): 2:45pm On Nov 01, 2021
Na condition make crayfish bend
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Vision101(m): 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2021
It's poverty and sometimes lack of sense of responsibility on the part of the parents. It pushes children to crime and indecent life.

In the language of the boys....this life no balance at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by frozen70(f): 6:55am On Nov 02, 2021
Promzy99:
Last nite, I over-heard a heated arguement between a Father and his two female children. They are my neighbours, with just Fence seperating us. The father was insisting on the children leaving the house except if the children will contribute to paying the house rent and assist in providing food too. The first daughter, to the best of my knowledge is an SSCE Holder. She teachs in a primary school and in d evening, she would go to where she is learning fashion nd designing. My problem is, why would a parent be dependant on d children for survival instead of the other way round? Am somehow indirectly suffering the same fate too and so are many youths too. Is it not the parents who are supposed to set us up, untill we are able to stand on our own? How did we get here please?

Some parents have no plans for their children, they just birth them and leave them to find their bearing as they grow old

At the end, the children suffers but later made it and abandoned their parents who suffer more of their stupidity at old age

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Pootle: 1:15pm On Nov 02, 2021
poverty at its peck
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Klass99(f): 4:25pm On Nov 02, 2021
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 4:28pm On Nov 02, 2021
Klass99:

Was this your reality or is this your creative writing ability at work?

@ Promzy99, did you not receive the memo? grin
I don't really knw d memo u r talking about.
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Klass99(f): 4:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by muheeb01(m): 4:49pm On Nov 02, 2021
Chai this is sad.the economy has done more harm to many happy homes....no be parent be otedola still paying monthly tithe to his children and buying them cars and many other parents like that too...the fingers are not equal but as a parent you don't neglect your duty,where does he want them to get the money from,prostitution? We can do better as parent,don't born what you can't cater for,contraceptives are there for a reason
Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by muheeb01(m): 4:50pm On Nov 02, 2021
Myzubby:
this Life sef
some parents does not want their children to leave the house while some are pressuring their own to leave.
Lack of parental care and guide is the begining of hooliganism, banditry , kidnapping , prostitution, bitterness and hatred in relationship, early marriage , and child molestation.
Am grateful to GOD ALMIGHTY FOR MY PARENTS.
IF YOUR PARENTS STILL SUPPORTS YOU PLEASE HONOR THEM THEY DESERVE IT
You've sadi it all

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Parents Like This? by Promzy99: 4:53pm On Nov 02, 2021
Klass99:

The Memo which says, children are a blessing!

The Memo where unreasonable people/parents, give birth to children without a good plan or structure in place for them. Believing those children will one day be their blessing and one way ticket out of poverty.

The Memo which causes people like your neighbour to behave the way, you over-heard him behaving.

It's a messed up Memo but you find a lot of Africans/Nigerians subscribing to it. They have children for selfish reasons like and questionable motives.

I hope this is clear now.
Lol. Very clear now. Thanks 4 d xposition.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Gets Arrested For Assaulting Rude Child / How Would You Advise A Man who Is Sooo Weak In Bed ? / Is It Wrong For A Woman To Send Her Nudes To Her Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.