Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" (15232 Views)

Mubarak Sanyaolu: Parents Of Lagos Boy Killed By Stray Bullet Welcome Twins / Meet Parents Of Boy In Calm Down Viral Video (photos) / Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Ask4bigneyo(m): 10:06am On Apr 17
MOST PARENTS OF TODAY ARE RAISING AN "OVERDEPENDENT GENERATION"

1. You cook their food for them so that they can read and enjoy.

2. You help them to wash their clothes and tidy their rooms.

3. You drop them off in school every day by yourself!

4. You lie on their behalf to get them out of trouble.

5. You arrange "expo" to help them pass their exams.

6. You protect them from every danger and difficulties.

7. You prevent them from any form of pain and suffering.

8. You don't want them to suffer like you did as a child.

9. You hustle around while they watch films and play games.

10. They can't go out alone because you're always scared.

11. You take every decision for them, because you're wiser.

12. You go to their schools to fight for them and prove rights.

13. You defend them even when they're wrong and at fault.

14. You can not stand seeing them starve or go hungry for once.

15. You fight against those who try to correct them.

I PITY YOU

.....YOU ARE BUSY RAISING AN OVER- DEPENDENT GENERATION.

You think you are showing them LOVE ?

SORRY, YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

By the time you're no longer there and they face real life challenges, they will become helpless !!!

At that stage, they will realise the havoc you have done to them and CURSE YOU !!!

STOP RAISING AN OVER-DEPENDENT GENERATION!!!

Allow these children to face realities of life !!!

Be careful !!!

Raising Responsible Children

1. Give your children age-appropriate domestic tasks, even if you have a thousand and one domestic servants at home. It is sheer ignorance to think that doing everything for your children is a mark of honour or a way of bequeathing royalty on them.

2. Teach them to be useful and make their impact felt positively wherever they are found – in the school, place of worship, in another person’s home, etc.

3. Encourage your children to always leave a good impression wherever they go to; teach them to be courteous, respectful, friendly, cheerful and helpful.

4. Teach them good toilet manners – they must know how to keep the toilet neat for the next user, let them know that it is unacceptable to leave the bathroom floor and/or walls messed with soap, foam or any form dirt after bathing.

5. Teach your children the importance of taking good care of their body and their environment; whether they are at home or elsewhere. Remind them that responsible people don’t leave their rooms unkempt or their bed unmade when they get up in the morning; teach them to bath very well and smell fine always. It is unbearable to have a smelly young person around you; let them take care of their armpits, teeth, hair, nail, etc.

6. Teach your children to manage their used clothes and other personal belongings very well, whether in their home or elsewhere. It can be irritating to have dirty clothes or shoes, especially those of a visitor litter every corner of the house.

7. Let them pack their toiletries before leaving home. Your children should not depend on their hosts for their basic toiletries like soap, cream, tooth paste and other essentials.

8. Teach your children to dress well all the time, especially when they are spending time with another family. You probably allow your daughters to dress in bum shots and your sons to walk about with their chest bare in your home, but they may not be safe if they do so in another place. You may not know where a predator would lie in wait for a child.

9. Teach them good table manners; not the one recited in nursery schools rhymes. Teach them to chew with their mouth covered, not to make noise with the cutlery on their teeth, not to talk with their mouth full, etc.

10. Let your children know that washing only their own plates after eating is not a noble idea.

11. Remind your children that jumping into a conversation when adults are talking is a sign of being ill-mannered. Discourage this both in your home and elsewhere.

12. Help your children not to be social birds online and anti-social bugs offline. They should relate well with people around them, much more than they do with virtual folks they meet online. Please, discourage this idea of young people locking themselves in the room hours on end without communicating with anyone in the house – all because they are on phone.

13. Empower your children to uphold your family values wherever they are. But before then, make sure that your family values are credible, empowering, socially and morally beneficial.

14. Teach your children to control their appetite and learn to turn down certain offers, even when such offers come from people they know. And at home, it is not compulsory that they must taste everything they see someone eating. This will help them to take their eyes away from certain things when they are in other people’s home.

15. Always remind your children that they are the window through which the world sees you. If your children’s behavior outside is bad, the general consensus is that they lack home training. And since children are not meant to give themselves home training, it means that you failed as a parent.

16. Finally, make sure your children know God. Salvation is not hereditary; that you are godly or highly spiritual is not a guarantee that your children are saved. You must consciously and deliberately lead them to God

My fellow parents, let us try our best to make sure these children represent us well. I am sure you will feel good if you come to your children’s school and people are pointing at you as the parent of the best behaved child in the school. Won’t you?

THE SCHOOL OR TEACHERS CAN'T GIVE THEM ALL!

MAY GOD ALMIGHTY MAKE OUR CHILDREN RESPONSIBLE AND SUCCESSFUL!!

126 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Thundafireseun: 10:10am On Apr 17
Long but interesting read

8 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Hezzyluv: 10:12am On Apr 17
Too 2ru, but some of your points are debatable.

When my dad was using iron hand to handle us (his children), naive me never envisaged he had seen the challenges that betide me and was shaping me for the future but I was seeing him as a sadist. cry

Today, the reality is done on me and it's God's
grace and Dad's tutelage that keeps me going through these huddles.

31 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by SETHARTHUR(m): 11:07am On Apr 17
They are preparing for the AI deep learning age where by Al will take over humans.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by A4alpha: 12:25pm On Apr 17
Well articulate
100% on POINT

17 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Promismike(m): 12:31pm On Apr 17
The number of dependents generation is increasing because of the high unemployment rate in the country.

If the government can provide an enabling environment for entrepreneurship. The number of dependents and unemployment will fall to its smàllest minimum.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Meerahbel: 12:32pm On Apr 17
grin
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by GanagiBitrus: 12:32pm On Apr 17
Right.

Patience is a very good virtue & yet nobody nowadays names his or her child PATIENCE. 🤔
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Glimpsetv: 12:32pm On Apr 17
Hmmm
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by femtex007(m): 12:33pm On Apr 17
I really wish I could raise my children the way I was raised. I would have so much loved it. But they will see it as if their father didn't like them. Now I do what I don't support just because people are doing it
I pray the upcoming generation will be able to stand on their own. I really pray

2 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by inoki247: 12:33pm On Apr 17
Lol
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:35pm On Apr 17
Fff
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by CharleyBright(m): 12:36pm On Apr 17
True.
I was badly flogged and wounded once or twice in school by some idiotic and barbaric teachers while growing up. My parents didn't protect me enough because I was in a public school.
I am trying to protect my children from such barbaric teachers that's why i put them in private school. I won't stand for that while I am paying so much monies in private school for my children. Why nah, the teacher chop craze?

My two children will be writing JAMB next week. They have different centers.
I will have to leave my work and take one to the centre and stay all through, while my wife will have to leave her work to do same for the other person. Simply because we don't trust their safety if they go alone.
But honestly, these are dangerous times. Era of innocence is gone. Abuja is no longer safe. It is better and safer to over protect our children than to have them fall into hands of kidnappers and be called to be millions in ransom.
Better to drive them to school and drive and pick them back safely. They have become lazy and over dependent, that's okay, but make we do our responsibility to protect them as parents first.
May God grant us grace.

25 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by obinna58(m): 12:36pm On Apr 17
It’s a cycle
Hard times creates strong men
Strong men creates good times
Good times creates weak men
Weak men refreshes it all over again by creating hard times

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by SeriouslySense(m): 12:37pm On Apr 17
zz

Especially appetite

Very important points like

4. Teach them good toilet manners – they must know how to keep the toilet neat for the next user, let them know that it is unacceptable to leave the bathroom floor and/or walls messed with soap, foam or any form dirt after bathing.

8. Teach your children to dress well all the time, especially when they are spending time with another family. You probably allow your daughters to dress in bum shots and your sons to walk about with their chest bare in your home, but they may not be safe if they do so in another place. You may not know where a predator would lie in wait for a child.

11. Remind your children that jumping into a conversation when adults are talking is a sign of being ill-mannered. Discourage this both in your home and elsewhere.

12. Help your children not to be social birds online and anti-social bugs offline. They should relate well with people around them, much more than they do with virtual folks they meet online. Please, discourage this idea of young people locking themselves in the room hours on end without communicating with anyone in the house – all because they are on phone.

14. Teach your children to control their appetite and learn to turn down certain offers, even when such offers come from people they know. And at home, it is not compulsory that they must taste everything they see someone eating. This will help them to take their eyes away from certain things when they are in other people’s home.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by RodgersAkpafu: 12:37pm On Apr 17
Interesting
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Franzinni: 12:37pm On Apr 17
Very good message ... Refreshing
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Ibechris2: 12:38pm On Apr 17
True
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by wink2015(m): 12:38pm On Apr 17
Ask4bigneyo:
MOST PARENTS OF TODAY ARE RAISING AN "OVERDEPENDENT GENERATION"

1. You cook their food for them so that they can read and enjoy.

2. You help them to wash their clothes and tidy their rooms.

3. You drop them off in school every day by yourself!

4. You lie on their behalf to get them out of trouble.

5. You arrange "expo" to help them pass their exams.

6. You protect them from every danger and difficulties.

7. You prevent them from any form of pain and suffering.

8. You don't want them to suffer like you did as a child.

9. You hustle around while they watch films and play games.

10. They can't go out alone because you're always scared.

11. You take every decision for them, because you're wiser.

12. You go to their schools to fight for them and prove rights.

13. You defend them even when they're wrong and at fault.

14. You can not stand seeing them starve or go hungry for once.

15. You fight against those who try to correct them.

I PITY YOU

.....YOU ARE BUSY RAISING AN OVER- DEPENDENT GENERATION.

You think you are showing them LOVE ?

SORRY, YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

By the time you're no longer there and they face real life challenges, they will become helpless !!!

At that stage, they will realise the havoc you have done to them and CURSE YOU !!!

STOP RAISING AN OVER-DEPENDENT GENERATION!!!

Allow these children to face realities of life !!!

Be careful !!!

Raising Responsible Children

1. Give your children age-appropriate domestic tasks, even if you have a thousand and one domestic servants at home. It is sheer ignorance to think that doing everything for your children is a mark of honour or a way of bequeathing royalty on them.

2. Teach them to be useful and make their impact felt positively wherever they are found – in the school, place of worship, in another person’s home, etc.

3. Encourage your children to always leave a good impression wherever they go to; teach them to be courteous, respectful, friendly, cheerful and helpful.

5. Teach your children the importance of taking good care of their body and their environment; whether they are at home or elsewhere. Remind them that responsible people don’t leave their rooms unkempt or their bed unmade when they get up in the morning; teach them to bath very well and smell fine always. It is unbearable to have a smelly young person around you; let them take care of their armpits, teeth, hair, nail, etc.

6. Teach your children to manage their used clothes and other personal belongings very well, whether in their home or elsewhere. It can be irritating to have dirty clothes or shoes, especially those of a visitor litter every corner of the house.

7. Let them pack their toiletries before leaving home. Your children should not depend on their hosts for their basic toiletries like soap, cream, tooth paste and other essentials.

9. Teach them good table manners; not the one recited in nursery schools rhymes. Teach them to chew with their mouth covered, not to make noise with the cutlery on their teeth, not to talk with their mouth full, etc.

10. Let your children know that washing only their own plates after eating is not a noble idea.

13. Empower your children to uphold your family values wherever they are. But before then, make sure that your family values are credible, empowering, socially and morally beneficial.

15. Always remind your children that they are the window through which the world sees you. If your children’s behavior outside is bad, the general consensus is that they lack home training. And since children are not meant to give themselves home training, it means that you failed as a parent.

16. Finally, make sure your children know God. Salvation is not hereditary; that you are godly or highly spiritual is not a guarantee that your children are saved. You must consciously and deliberately lead them to God

My fellow parents, let us try our best to make sure these children represent us well. I am sure you will feel good if you come to your children’s school and people are pointing at you as the parent of the best behaved child in the school. Won’t you?

THE SCHOOL OR TEACHERS CAN'T GIVE THEM ALL!

MAY GOD ALMIGHTY MAKE OUR CHILDREN RESPONSIBLE AND SUCCESSFUL!!

Nice share !

The use of smartphones and the coming of Artificial Intelligence are now making kids lazier.

They are not prepared to learn naturally.

Everything information they are looking for is to use google to find it.

No more the good old days methods of carrying out research.

Facebook, Tiktok and what have you are changing the mentality of young people.

4 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by easyfem(m): 12:40pm On Apr 17
Who is cooking for who ? All the listed are for toddler abeg …. Look for another story

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by olarent: 12:41pm On Apr 17
The society has corrupted most home.

3 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by SEGLIZ: 12:42pm On Apr 17
train up your child.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by meedoLock(m): 12:45pm On Apr 17
Actually, it's a case of diff strokes...........in this age we find ourselves, alot has changed compared to how we used to have it back then. People did not need to be looking over their shoulders in terms of security in those days, members of communities knew every sole that lives in their domains, unlike now when our defence lines are very porous, all parents are aware no govt is potent enough to protect them hence, reason for protecting acting their wards and ensuring basic provisions for all needs and wants as the result of case maybe.

These points would have been widely accepted in the good old days. But things are diff now.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by AngelicDamsel(f): 12:47pm On Apr 17
Change is inevitable.

I only pity teachers and maids.

Respect is the one endangered virtue I feel bad about.

This generation do not understand the concept of respect. Respect is so scarce that you do not expect it even when you give it, because many do not have it.

3 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Sonnobax15(m): 12:47pm On Apr 17
lipsrsealed
You can only but imagine how the next generation of society our kids will find themselves in will look like.....

Wahala go too full ground.

7 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Jewessgratitud3: 12:48pm On Apr 17
I' ll raise my children the same way I was raised and I don't care how they see it. In as much as I didn't see my parents as wicked for teaching me how to cook, wash and bathe myself at the age of 9, I don't think they ll see me as being wicked.

You'll do all the dishes from age seven cos that was when I started.

It's because they no longer engage them in chores they have time to be doing all the immoral things they're doing from an early age..

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by CJStarz: 12:49pm On Apr 17
Na private school dey cause all these. Put these children in Government schools,they will mature by force. Infact,na dem go dey tell you, Mummy, I'm not a small boy again.

9 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Villa12(m): 12:49pm On Apr 17
Promismike:
The number of dependents generation is increasing because of the high unemployment rate in the country.

If the government can provide an enabling environment for entrepreneurship. The number of dependents and unemployment will fall to its smàllest minimum.
despite the high unemployment in the country, is it not same youths venturing into cyber fraud popularly known as Yahoo Yahoo and taking up family responsibilities? If you know the wonder Yahoo Yahoo is doing in the life of an average Nigerian youths, you wouldn't be saying this. Check your streets or community and tell me if you will not see these guys littered everywhere. If not for Yahoo, these youths will be robbing on a broad daylight.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Name 5 Things You Did As A Child During Christmas Period? / No Matter How Far You Have Gone The Wrong Path, You Can Always Turn Around / Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.