Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,088 members, 7,807,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) (21120 Views)

How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Avoid The Hard Ways Of Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by omobamatrix: 9:10am On Nov 02, 2021
Nice tips tensazangatsu!
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Mowii: 3:34pm On Nov 02, 2021
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:36pm On Nov 02, 2021
Mowii:
bro I Read all your posts and topic from being depressed by your grades to being a boss at a field you barely knew nothing about during sch days. You are an inspiration to me and a blessing to us all . Your well detailed experiences as made it easier for so many of us I remembered guiding a stranger on what to go for in programming from the knowledge gained from your write up( that was like 3 months ago) the guy is now bragging about his prowess already. Please sir I really need your help I need a laptop I have read and read all your post for months and others too but no start up and every money saved have gone for different other things I don’t mind starving to get dAta sub and I can always charge and learn aT bet9ja shop. Please any laptop you not using or anyone in house please do help invest in my start up. I do feel bad when tensazangetsu20 post a new topic because I should have gone far already Based on his guidance alone. I’m sorry if this makes you feel somehow I just don’t have any choice left and Time is gone and still going

I wish I could help but that one is out of my power for now. I haven't reached that level financially yet.

4 Likes

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Mowii: 3:39pm On Nov 02, 2021
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by CodingBlood: 5:20pm On Nov 02, 2021
MrJavaS:
I'm not sure how good maximam is but I think the complete JS by Jonas schmedtmann is also good.
smiley

Wow the course is fully packed shocked shocked
I'll check it out. Thanks for this sir!
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by akus6060(m): 9:16pm On Nov 02, 2021
Pls can you share with me also ?
remi1444:
I have paid for the Javascript course. If you want I can share my login information with you.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by toniabella(f): 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2021
CSS took quite some time before i could get my hand around it. Now javaScript done start it's own.
I'm having a hard time with javascript.

how long does it take to master these. or is it just me not beign good enough for tech.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:22pm On Nov 03, 2021
toniabella:
CSS took quite some time before i could get my hand around it. Now javaScript done start it's own.

how long does it take to master these. or is it just me not beign good enough for tech.
Forget about mastering them but knowing them enough to get comfortable will take a while. Hang in there.

2 Likes

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by toniabella(f): 10:58pm On Nov 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Forget about mastering them but knowing them enough to get comfortable will take a while. Hang in there.

I sent you an email. do you mind replying
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Avast(m): 11:36pm On Nov 03, 2021
toniabella:

Have you tried to do any project or solve challenges on just html and css?
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by toniabella(f): 12:36am On Nov 04, 2021
Avast:

Have you tried to do any project or solve challenges on just html and css?

Nah here e dey always choke..
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Avast(m): 6:52am On Nov 04, 2021
toniabella:

Nah here e dey always choke..

You need to. After my first challenge on frontend mentor, omo my morale build up. I am doing another one this week again.

3 Likes

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Missionaire: 7:13am On Nov 04, 2021
I usually get courses from:

1. Freetutorials.us
2. Freetutorials-us.com
3. Freetutorials.eu
4. Freecoursesite.com

Download the torrent files and use utorrent to download.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Gee64: 9:15am On Nov 04, 2021
Sounds Greek to me.
Please as a beginner do you think online courses can help? If so, please recommend the best for me.
DualCore1:
TLDR:
1. Fullstack developer bootcamp
2. Harvard CS50x courses
3. TeachyourselfCS or OSSU or P1XT
4. Read the docs
====

If I was to start all over (from a fullstack developer point of view) I'll do a Fullstack Developer bootcamp from any of the courses with good reviews to just get an idea of how all the pieces come together to work.

After that I'll go asynchronous with my learning pattern. Two parallel streams of learning, "middle-down" and "middle-up". That bootcamp course may pretty much put me at the middle, where I'll know so much to get stuff done and to fuel my desire to know how stuff really works under the hood. I don't want to be the guy that doesnt know how/when to use recursion over a loop iteration.

// for middle-down
// objective: to deepen my understanding of the fundamentals that hardly change
======
I'll take all the Harvard CS50x courses
Then I'll take one of any of the following:
1. TeachyourselfCS
2. OSSU
3. P1XT

// for middle-up
// objective: to broaden my understand and keep up with changing technologies
// this will take a lifetime so there's no end to this phase
=====
I'll focus on reading the docs for all the techs I was exposed to in the bootcamp. So this is where I'll dig into the docs for the following
MDN, NodeJS, Express, Fastify, React, Next, Git, Openshift, Postman, Docker and so on.
Its also in this phase I'll read some good books like EloquentJS, Code Complete 2 and the YDKJS series.

There's so much involved in being a programmer but we tend to focus on a small aspect of it: coding... I may never be able to fully explain how I dislike the term 'coder'.

In the corporate world you'll quickly get to a point where you spend less than half of your 40-hour week actually writing code and more of that time:
* in meetings (some coulda just been an email),
* planning the development of features,
* peer reviewing PRs,
* writing tests with a decent amount of coverage,
* setting up delivery pipelines,
* having to triage defects,
* writing documentations

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Supreme145(m): 10:20am On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Check tutsgalaxy.net
I stopped react halfway due to network issues, now I'm learning WordPress development and I seem to enjoy it more than react factor in the fact that I see lots of WordPress vacancies online, I intend moving to plugins development once I'm done with theme development. How do you think I should proceed that will help me get a job as soon as possible??

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:29am On Nov 04, 2021
Supreme145:

I stopped react halfway due to network issues, now I'm learning WordPress development and I seem to enjoy it more than react factor in the fact that I see lots of WordPress vacancies online, I intend moving to plugins development once I'm done with theme development. How do you think I should proceed that will help me get a job as soon as possible??
You need react for the modern type of wordpress development. Jamstack ecosystem and Gutenberg. You will still need react.

4 Likes

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Supreme145(m): 10:35am On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

You need react for the modern type of wordpress development. Jamstack ecosystem and Gutenberg. You will still need react.
Okay, Thanks boss. I will head back to react while I apply for WordPress jobs for now
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by airsaylongcome: 10:49am On Nov 04, 2021
I don't know how you guys get your heads around JS o. I've tried and failed woefully. Not because it is hard per se. But I am unable to deal with it's loose typing. JS and Python and any loosely typed language is NOT for me

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Supreme145(m): 10:56am On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

One more thing sir, I was taught data structures back in the university during my 200lv, it was easy for me to grasp at least for the theoretical aspect. I've always wondered how I could put it into practical use, can you recommend any learning resources for me?
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 11:00am On Nov 04, 2021
airsaylongcome:
I don't know how you guys get your heads around JS o. I've tried and failed woefully. Not because it is hard per se. But I am unable to deal with it's loose typing. JS and Python and any loosely typed language is NOT for me
I am yet to find someone who doesn't have a <<< review about javascript. Why can't we get an alternative language?
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:02am On Nov 04, 2021
Supreme145:

One more thing sir, I was taught data structures back in the university during my 200lv, it was easy for me to grasp at least for the theoretical aspect. I've always wondered how I could put it into practical use, can you recommend any learning resources for me?
Leetcode and Hackerrank.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 11:04am On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Leetcode and Hackerrank.
Tensa, there's DSA in JavaScript right?
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2021
remi1444:
Tensa, there's DSA in JavaScript right?
You can use any language to learn dsa.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LikeAking: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Everyone that knows me off Nairaland knows I am a huge pessimist but when it comes to tech or the tech industry in general I am the greatest optimist you can find. I believe tech has the potential to change people's lives and it has done so. It is also the only industry that thrives on merit. No one cares what school you went to, what grades you had. What people care about is what you can do. You can't say the same about engineering or law or medicine.

I made this same thread last year and after working professionally for a while now, I believe there are some things that are important but I overlooked and I am making this again to guide the newbies on the right path. This thread is subjectively my own opinion but you can do your own research before picking up a path to stick to.

The focus on this thread will be on web development and the path to learning it right as I believe web development is the most profitable aspect of programming a Nigerian can get into. There are other fields but I don't know how profitable they are or how easy they are to break into.

If I was to start learning web development today in order to get a junior web dev role, I would start like this :

I would learn HTML. This is practically the easiest path and I believe absolutely everyone can learn this. After that, I would move to CSS. This is where the problem starts and by this level, people start to give up. I believe CSS is easy especially with the right course and I would always recommend Maximillian Schwarz CSS the complete guide course as that course made me not fear CSS. As you are learning these things, please build alongside. Dont just watch videos and sleep and think you have known them. Trust me you haven't known them at all. Implement the knowledge to cement it.

Once you are comfortable with CSS move on to Javascript. At this level, 80 percent of self-learners have given up. It's most people's first programming language and honestly, as a first language, javascript isn't easy. I also recommend the javascript course from Maximillian Schwarz. I still believe it's the best javascript course ever made and I still refer to it in my daily job as a developer.

Now this is where it gets tricky, I usually tell people to move on to React after Javascript, and rightly so but once you have learned javascript and you have found yourself to be very comfortable with it, start learning data structures and algorithms. I used to say this isnt important at all and was a waste of time but after working as a dev for more than a year, trust me I was just being very stupid. You cant even be a programmer without solid fundamentals in data structures. It doesn't matter whether you are a platform developer, a frontend developer, a backend developer, a WordPress developer or whatnot. You need your data structures and algorithms. It's like building a house on sand. Sooner or later it's gonna come collapsing. How do you even implement infinite scrolling in React without knowing graphs and how they work? Thats just one scenario. Double for loops in salesforce will break your org beyond proportions you cant imagine and a whole lot of other scenarios I cant even list out here which I have experienced for myself.

You don't need to spend 8 hours a day figuring out data structures and algorithms once comfortable with javascript. I recommend an hour or two a day. Learn the basic data structures (arrays, LinkedList, stacks, queues, graphs, trees) and the basic sort algorithms even if you don't understand it initially, cram it. Every day repeat what you have crammed then solve questions on leetcode easy to medium. No one will ask hard to a junior dev even medium is also very rare but just do it. Aside even learning data structures to be a better developer, its also the path to the very highly paid jobs. The earlier you learn them the better job hunting will go for you. Just imagine it like this, it takes you 4 months to be comfortable with javascript and you need like another 4 months for react, a platform and your projects and you are solving 1 to 2 dsa questions daily in the 4 months up to react. When ready to job hunt, count how many questions that is instead of waiting for when you have everything and you start job hunting to start learning it and you start failing interviews everywhere. The earlier the better even if you dont understand cram. Companies use the same questions which are available online.

Next is a javascript framework. I recommend React, I won't even advise my enemy to waste their time with vue but some will do it and still come online to cry. The react ecosystem is big and getting bigger. You have gatsby, you have blitzjs, you have Nextjs. Even in blockchain and web3 go and check most of the jobs require proficiency in React. Learn React !!! Enough said.

At this level, you should have your projects beautiful nice designs well created and implemented. Create a CV and start job hunting. Dont limit yourself to Nigeria. Apply everywhere. UK, US, Japan, Sweden. Tech transcends borders. Apply to jobs like a mad man.

At this job hunting stage, leetcode should be increased to at least 4 hours everyday and learning should still be done after React I recommend a platform. Same as my thread last year but most platform dev interviews are still algo based so no issue for you there.

You can also start looking at backend too but honestly if you have followed everything here, getting a job should be very easy.

good!
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by The5DME(m): 5:56pm On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Everyone that knows me off Nairaland knows I am a huge pessimist but when it comes to tech or the tech industry in general I am the greatest optimist you can find. I believe tech has the potential to change people's lives and it has done so. It is also the only industry that thrives on merit. No one cares what school you went to, what grades you had. What people care about is what you can do. You can't say the same about engineering or law or medicine.

I made this same thread last year and after working professionally for a while now, I believe there are some things that are important but I overlooked and I am making this again to guide the newbies on the right path. This thread is subjectively my own opinion but you can do your own research before picking up a path to stick to.

The focus on this thread will be on web development and the path to learning it right as I believe web development is the most profitable aspect of programming a Nigerian can get into. There are other fields but I don't know how profitable they are or how easy they are to break into.

If I was to start learning web development today in order to get a junior web dev role, I would start like this :

I would learn HTML. This is practically the easiest path and I believe absolutely everyone can learn this. After that, I would move to CSS. This is where the problem starts and by this level, people start to give up. I believe CSS is easy especially with the right course and I would always recommend Maximillian Schwarz CSS the complete guide course as that course made me not fear CSS. As you are learning these things, please build alongside. Dont just watch videos and sleep and think you have known them. Trust me you haven't known them at all. Implement the knowledge to cement it.

Once you are comfortable with CSS move on to Javascript. At this level, 80 percent of self-learners have given up. It's most people's first programming language and honestly, as a first language, javascript isn't easy. I also recommend the javascript course from Maximillian Schwarz. I still believe it's the best javascript course ever made and I still refer to it in my daily job as a developer.

Now this is where it gets tricky, I usually tell people to move on to React after Javascript, and rightly so but once you have learned javascript and you have found yourself to be very comfortable with it, start learning data structures and algorithms. I used to say this isnt important at all and was a waste of time but after working as a dev for more than a year, trust me I was just being very stupid. You cant even be a programmer without solid fundamentals in data structures. It doesn't matter whether you are a platform developer, a frontend developer, a backend developer, a WordPress developer or whatnot. You need your data structures and algorithms. It's like building a house on sand. Sooner or later it's gonna come collapsing. How do you even implement infinite scrolling in React without knowing graphs and how they work? Thats just one scenario. Double for loops in salesforce will break your org beyond proportions you cant imagine and a whole lot of other scenarios I cant even list out here which I have experienced for myself.

You don't need to spend 8 hours a day figuring out data structures and algorithms once comfortable with javascript. I recommend an hour or two a day. Learn the basic data structures (arrays, LinkedList, stacks, queues, graphs, trees) and the basic sort algorithms even if you don't understand it initially, cram it. Every day repeat what you have crammed then solve questions on leetcode easy to medium. No one will ask hard to a junior dev even medium is also very rare but just do it. Aside even learning data structures to be a better developer, its also the path to the very highly paid jobs. The earlier you learn them the better job hunting will go for you. Just imagine it like this, it takes you 4 months to be comfortable with javascript and you need like another 4 months for react, a platform and your projects and you are solving 1 to 2 dsa questions daily in the 4 months up to react. When ready to job hunt, count how many questions that is instead of waiting for when you have everything and you start job hunting to start learning it and you start failing interviews everywhere. The earlier the better even if you dont understand cram. Companies use the same questions which are available online.

Next is a javascript framework. I recommend React, I won't even advise my enemy to waste their time with vue but some will do it and still come online to cry. The react ecosystem is big and getting bigger. You have gatsby, you have blitzjs, you have Nextjs. Even in blockchain and web3 go and check most of the jobs require proficiency in React. Learn React !!! Enough said.

At this level, you should have your projects beautiful nice designs well created and implemented. Create a CV and start job hunting. Dont limit yourself to Nigeria. Apply everywhere. UK, US, Japan, Sweden. Tech transcends borders. Apply to jobs like a mad man.

At this job hunting stage, leetcode should be increased to at least 4 hours everyday and learning should still be done after React I recommend a platform. Same as my thread last year but most platform dev interviews are still algo based so no issue for you there.

You can also start looking at backend too but honestly if you have followed everything here, getting a job should be very easy.

Good evening bro. I don't know if you can still remember, but you once 'promised' me that if I get a Laptop, you'll give me some courses you used while learning. Well, now I have a Laptop, and I'd really need those courses bro embarassed
I've been trying to reach out, but u no de anwser me again.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:08pm On Nov 04, 2021
The5DME:
Good evening bro. I don't know if you can still remember, but you once 'promised' me that if I get a Laptop, you'll give me some courses you used while learning. Well, now I have a Laptop, and I'd really need those courses bro embarassed
I've been trying to reach out, but u no de anwser me again.

Wow I must have missed them o. Please DM me again.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by The5DME(m): 6:15pm On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Wow I must have missed them o. Please DM me again.
Sent.....
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by CodingBlood: 7:36pm On Nov 04, 2021
remi1444:
It was absolutely free when I downloaded. Let me get the full link to the course.

Here it's:

https://downloadly (dot) net/2020/16/5874/03/udemy-css-the-complete-guide-incl-flexbox-grid-sass/23/?#/5874-udemy-222105111001.html

The files are segregated into three. I do not feel good after downloading the first file, because when I extracted it, I found out there are up to a NINE missing modules cry cry
It started with module one, then boom module eleven. Is it still because I haven't downloaded the other two files? Or that's how it is?

Another thing that bugs me about this course is that, well with what I've seen in the first file, you don't really get to code along with the tutors... I wanted to watch a tutorial on mobile responsiveness for example, only to find the tutor's editor filled with 10 if not 20+ lines of codes; both HTML and CSS.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 8:54pm On Nov 04, 2021
CodingBlood:

The files are segregated into three. I do not feel good after downloading the first file, because when I extracted it, I found out there are up to a NINE missing modules cry cry
It started with module one, then boom module eleven. Is it still because I haven't downloaded the other two files? Or that's how it is?

Another thing that bugs me about this course is that, well with what I've seen in the first file, you don't really get to code along with the tutors... I wanted to watch a tutorial on mobile responsiveness for example, only to find the tutor's editor filled with 10 if not 20+ lines of codes; both HTML and CSS.
You have to download all the files because the person who compressed the files did a very shoddy job. Especially for the lastly added modules and files in each of the files.

About the tutor having codes already in his code editor, you'll find zip files in each of the modules that contains files in .HTML and .CSS. just extract it and open the folder by locating it through virtual studio code.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by CodingBlood: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2021
remi1444:
You have to download all the files because the person who compressed the files did a very shoddy job. Especially for the lastly added modules and files in each of the files.

About the tutor having codes already in his code editor, you'll find zip files in each of the modules that contains files in .HTML and .CSS. just extract it and open the folder by locating it through virtual studio code.

Thanks grin

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by The5DME(m): 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2021
remi1444:

Omo, how do you guys download courses from that freetutorialsus and tutsgalaxy? Some courses I'm seeing there are up to 50+gb..... How do u get the data? Is there a shortcut
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2021
The5DME:
Omo, how do you guys download courses from that freetutorialsus and tutsgalaxy? Some courses I'm seeing there are up to 50+gb..... How do u get the data? Is there a shortcut
Since the files are partitioned into multiple files, I use multiple devices(3 phones) and download simultaneously using GLO Night Plan which doesn't have cap regarding the numbers of time a user can subscribe- you'll have to subscribe as many times as you want between 12-5AM.

It's important to note that it can span 1 week or more to completely download some of these courses.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Please Review My Price comparison engine / Association Of Programmers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.