Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) (21261 Views)

How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Avoid The Hard Ways Of Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 9:52pm On May 13, 2022
The5DME:
Good morning bro. Please, do you have any comprehensive course on CSS?
No I do not.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by remi1444: 9:53pm On May 13, 2022
Zico007:

Please I will appreciate it if you can share it with me.
send a mail.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by mdpeace(m): 10:13pm On May 13, 2022
Senior men in the house I hail oo abeg make una pardon my question, I created a fixed horizontal nav bar but the problem is, the navigation bar didn't even move an inch, after trying all the methods I could find online. Abeg make una help me I still day learn
Attached are the HTML and CSS codes

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by CaveAdullam: 4:29am On May 14, 2022
mdpeace:
Senior men in the house I hail oo abeg make una pardon my question, I created a fixed horizontal nav bar but the problem is, the navigation bar didn't even move an inch, after trying all the methods I could find online. Abeg make una help me I still day learn

Check the nav tags.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Phantaminum1(f): 6:23am On May 14, 2022
mdpeace:
First, in the html, there is no closing tag for the header tag.
Second, where do you want to fix the navbar, is it the left side, top, bottom or right side.
If it is the left side, in the main-header (in css)
you will write left: 0; for the top, you will write top:0;. Also for the right and bottom you will just set it to zero.

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by mdpeace(m): 7:21am On May 14, 2022
Phantaminum1:

First, in the html, there is no closing tag for the header tag.
Second, where do you want to fix the navbar, is it the left side, top, bottom or right side.
If it is the left side, in the main-header (in css)
you will write left: 0; for the top, you will write top:0;. Also for the right and bottom you will just set it to zero.

Thank you very much, I'll try to effect them
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by mdpeace(m): 7:22am On May 14, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Check the nav tags.

Thanks boss
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Zico007: 12:42pm On May 14, 2022
remi1444:
send a mail.

Thanks boss. I did
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by alexmicheal500: 4:54pm On May 23, 2022
You can start making good use of your programming skills in Bincom Dev Center as you are exposed to so many skills such as data analysis, PHP, Python and much more. If you need a mentor, the training center has provision for that. To learn more call +2347011954852 or visit www.bincomdevcenter.net

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2022
Abraham22:

Just keep on checking you can get it for 4900 that's how I buy courses there I even got a best seller web devt course for 3500 some months back
please what is the name of the site, am new here.. I need cheap courses on web development
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2022
MrJavaS:
I'm not sure how good maximam is but I think the complete JS by Jonas schmedtmann is also good.
please how can I download the courses
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2022
Missionaire:
I usually get courses from:

1. Freetutorials.us
2. Freetutorials-us.com
3. Freetutorials.eu
4. Freecoursesite.com

Download the torrent files and use utorrent to download.
please I don't understand the bolded part, I need good courses to download
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2022
Missionaire:
I usually get courses from:

1. Freetutorials.us
2. Freetutorials-us.com
3. Freetutorials.eu
4. Freecoursesite.com

Download the torrent files and use utorrent to download.
please I don't understand the bolded part... How can I download free and good courses
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2022
Ayinke93:
This is a very solid thread and the op couldn't have written it better. To add, I'll recommend searching for internships once you are a bit proficient with html, CSS and JavaScript. Internships will open your eyes to what you'll see in a real work environment, something you really can't get straight out of an Udemy course. I left my full time job to intern around July this year as a python dev, wrote my first line of html around August, and my knowledge of React now is a way above beginner level at this stage and I'm considering starting to apply to real dev jobs by January. That's barely 5 months into my web development journey. That's the level of speed and growth internships will afford you. I know it's not easy to get internships, but just keep searching.
Also, practice everyday. code everyday like a mad person. Trust me it'll pay off. And side note, if you are learning react, checkout net ninja on Udemy. I think that's easily the best react course on the internet and trust me, I've tried quite a good number.
Good luck everyone.
please am a beginner, could you please recommend minimum laptop for me to start with, I want to follow the path of this op. HTML, css JS, react.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2022
chariisGRACE:
HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation - core i5 (Quadcore) • 15.6”
4GB RAM
500G HDD hard drive
available slot for SSD

Tensazangetsu20, please how do you see the above specs for 70K?
were you able to get the laptop, is it serving you well. I need a laptop too
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

Check MDN web docs. They have nice tutorials and documentation on Html and CSS. Best of all it is free.
please what is MDN web docs. How can I search for it
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Sapeleboy911(m): 12:37am On Jul 30, 2022
LUAN:
please what is MDN web docs How can I search for it
MDN means Mozilla development network it is the go-to documentation page for HTML and css. Google MDN web doc.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Missionaire: 8:40am On Jul 30, 2022
LUAN:
please I don't understand the bolded part, I need good courses to download

Steps:
1. Go to any of those websites I listed earlier.
2. Search for the course you want in the search bar.
3. If it is available on any of the sites, click on it and it would show you more about the course.
4. Scroll down and you would see a download button.
5. Click on the download button and a torrent file less than 200kbs would be downloaded.
6. Download utorrent, install on your PC and then launch.
7. Click on the “add torrent" space and then upload this downloaded torrent file.
8. After uploading, click on download all. You would see the original file size of that torrent file you downloaded. It might be 10gb.
9. Wait for it to finish downloading and then you are good to go.

I hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by LUAN(m): 9:04am On Jul 30, 2022
Missionaire:

Steps:
1. Go to any of those websites I listed earlier.
2. Search for the course you want in the search bar.
3. If it is available on any of the sites, click on it and it would show you more about the course.
4. Scroll down and you would see a download button.
5. Click on the download button and a torrent file less than 200kbs would be downloaded.
6. Download utorrent, install on your PC and then launch.
7. Click on the “add torrent" space and then upload this downloaded torrent file.
8. After uploading, click on download all. You would see the original file size of that torrent file you downloaded. It might be 10gb.
9. Wait for it to finish downloading and then you are good to go.

I hope this helps.
very helpful Sir, thanks so much
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Missionaire: 9:19am On Jul 30, 2022
LUAN:
very helpful Sir, thanks so much

Wish you success.

1 Like

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by shem4soul: 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Everyone that knows me off Nairaland knows I am a huge pessimist but when it comes to tech or the tech industry in general I am the greatest optimist you can find. I believe tech has the potential to change people's lives and it has done so. It is also the only industry that thrives on merit. No one cares what school you went to, what grades you had. What people care about is what you can do. You can't say the same about engineering or law or medicine.

I made this same thread last year and after working professionally for a while now, I believe there are some things that are important but I overlooked and I am making this again to guide the newbies on the right path. This thread is subjectively my own opinion but you can do your own research before picking up a path to stick to.

The focus on this thread will be on web development and the path to learning it right as I believe web development is the most profitable aspect of programming a Nigerian can get into. There are other fields but I don't know how profitable they are or how easy they are to break into.

If I was to start learning web development today in order to get a junior web dev role, I would start like this :

I would learn HTML. This is practically the easiest path and I believe absolutely everyone can learn this. After that, I would move to CSS. This is where the problem starts and by this level, people start to give up. I believe CSS is easy especially with the right course and I would always recommend Maximillian Schwarz CSS the complete guide course as that course made me not fear CSS. As you are learning these things, please build alongside. Dont just watch videos and sleep and think you have known them. Trust me you haven't known them at all. Implement the knowledge to cement it.

Once you are comfortable with CSS move on to Javascript. At this level, 80 percent of self-learners have given up. It's most people's first programming language and honestly, as a first language, javascript isn't easy. I also recommend the javascript course from Maximillian Schwarz. I still believe it's the best javascript course ever made and I still refer to it in my daily job as a developer.

Now this is where it gets tricky, I usually tell people to move on to React after Javascript, and rightly so but once you have learned javascript and you have found yourself to be very comfortable with it, start learning data structures and algorithms. I used to say this isnt important at all and was a waste of time but after working as a dev for more than a year, trust me I was just being very stupid. You cant even be a programmer without solid fundamentals in data structures. It doesn't matter whether you are a platform developer, a frontend developer, a backend developer, a WordPress developer or whatnot. You need your data structures and algorithms. It's like building a house on sand. Sooner or later it's gonna come collapsing. How do you even implement infinite scrolling in React without knowing graphs and how they work? Thats just one scenario. Double for loops in salesforce will break your org beyond proportions you cant imagine and a whole lot of other scenarios I cant even list out here which I have experienced for myself.

You don't need to spend 8 hours a day figuring out data structures and algorithms once comfortable with javascript. I recommend an hour or two a day. Learn the basic data structures (arrays, LinkedList, stacks, queues, graphs, trees) and the basic sort algorithms even if you don't understand it initially, cram it. Every day repeat what you have crammed then solve questions on leetcode easy to medium. No one will ask hard to a junior dev even medium is also very rare but just do it. Aside even learning data structures to be a better developer, its also the path to the very highly paid jobs. The earlier you learn them the better job hunting will go for you. Just imagine it like this, it takes you 4 months to be comfortable with javascript and you need like another 4 months for react, a platform and your projects and you are solving 1 to 2 dsa questions daily in the 4 months up to react. When ready to job hunt, count how many questions that is instead of waiting for when you have everything and you start job hunting to start learning it and you start failing interviews everywhere. The earlier the better even if you dont understand cram. Companies use the same questions which are available online.

Next is a javascript framework. I recommend React, I won't even advise my enemy to waste their time with vue but some will do it and still come online to cry. The react ecosystem is big and getting bigger. You have gatsby, you have blitzjs, you have Nextjs. Even in blockchain and web3 go and check most of the jobs require proficiency in React. Learn React !!! Enough said.

At this level, you should have your projects beautiful nice designs well created and implemented. Create a CV and start job hunting. Dont limit yourself to Nigeria. Apply everywhere. UK, US, Japan, Sweden. Tech transcends borders. Apply to jobs like a mad man.

At this job hunting stage, leetcode should be increased to at least 4 hours everyday and learning should still be done after React I recommend a platform. Same as my thread last year but most platform dev interviews are still algo based so no issue for you there.

You can also start looking at backend too but honestly if you have followed everything here, getting a job should be very easy.

Op, God bless you for this...
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by cokeryusuf09(m): 4:14pm On Aug 02, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Everyone that knows me off Nairaland knows I am a huge pessimist but when it comes to tech or the tech industry in general I am the greatest optimist you can find. I believe tech has the potential to change people's lives and it has done so. It is also the only industry that thrives on merit. No one cares what school you went to, what grades you had. What people care about is what you can do. You can't say the same about engineering or law or medicine.

I made this same thread last year and after working professionally for a while now, I believe there are some things that are important but I overlooked and I am making this again to guide the newbies on the right path. This thread is subjectively my own opinion but you can do your own research before picking up a path to stick to.

The focus on this thread will be on web development and the path to learning it right as I believe web development is the most profitable aspect of programming a Nigerian can get into. There are other fields but I don't know how profitable they are or how easy they are to break into.

If I was to start learning web development today in order to get a junior web dev role, I would start like this :

I would learn HTML. This is practically the easiest path and I believe absolutely everyone can learn this. After that, I would move to CSS. This is where the problem starts and by this level, people start to give up. I believe CSS is easy especially with the right course and I would always recommend Maximillian Schwarz CSS the complete guide course as that course made me not fear CSS. As you are learning these things, please build alongside. Dont just watch videos and sleep and think you have known them. Trust me you haven't known them at all. Implement the knowledge to cement it.

Once you are comfortable with CSS move on to Javascript. At this level, 80 percent of self-learners have given up. It's most people's first programming language and honestly, as a first language, javascript isn't easy. I also recommend the javascript course from Maximillian Schwarz. I still believe it's the best javascript course ever made and I still refer to it in my daily job as a developer.

Now this is where it gets tricky, I usually tell people to move on to React after Javascript, and rightly so but once you have learned javascript and you have found yourself to be very comfortable with it, start learning data structures and algorithms. I used to say this isnt important at all and was a waste of time but after working as a dev for more than a year, trust me I was just being very stupid. You cant even be a programmer without solid fundamentals in data structures. It doesn't matter whether you are a platform developer, a frontend developer, a backend developer, a WordPress developer or whatnot. You need your data structures and algorithms. It's like building a house on sand. Sooner or later it's gonna come collapsing. How do you even implement infinite scrolling in React without knowing graphs and how they work? Thats just one scenario. Double for loops in salesforce will break your org beyond proportions you cant imagine and a whole lot of other scenarios I cant even list out here which I have experienced for myself.

You don't need to spend 8 hours a day figuring out data structures and algorithms once comfortable with javascript. I recommend an hour or two a day. Learn the basic data structures (arrays, LinkedList, stacks, queues, graphs, trees) and the basic sort algorithms even if you don't understand it initially, cram it. Every day repeat what you have crammed then solve questions on leetcode easy to medium. No one will ask hard to a junior dev even medium is also very rare but just do it. Aside even learning data structures to be a better developer, its also the path to the very highly paid jobs. The earlier you learn them the better job hunting will go for you. Just imagine it like this, it takes you 4 months to be comfortable with javascript and you need like another 4 months for react, a platform and your projects and you are solving 1 to 2 dsa questions daily in the 4 months up to react. When ready to job hunt, count how many questions that is instead of waiting for when you have everything and you start job hunting to start learning it and you start failing interviews everywhere. The earlier the better even if you dont understand cram. Companies use the same questions which are available online.

Next is a javascript framework. I recommend React, I won't even advise my enemy to waste their time with vue but some will do it and still come online to cry. The react ecosystem is big and getting bigger. You have gatsby, you have blitzjs, you have Nextjs. Even in blockchain and web3 go and check most of the jobs require proficiency in React. Learn React !!! Enough said.

At this level, you should have your projects beautiful nice designs well created and implemented. Create a CV and start job hunting. Dont limit yourself to Nigeria. Apply everywhere. UK, US, Japan, Sweden. Tech transcends borders. Apply to jobs like a mad man.

At this job hunting stage, leetcode should be increased to at least 4 hours everyday and learning should still be done after React I recommend a platform. Same as my thread last year but most platform dev interviews are still algo based so no issue for you there.

You can also start looking at backend too but honestly if you have followed everything here, getting a job should be very easy.

good day
i have some question to ask you about how relevant is c++ and how is the industry in terms of job cos i like embeded electronic eg arduino uno.
i am learning c++ now, though i want to skip html and css and learn python and data analysis with cousera but my research show that junior developer need html and css.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by MrJavaS: 10:14pm On Aug 02, 2022
Demmiebobo450:
I am hearing a lot on how good the course is and i have been trying to buy it but my card is not working and now its back to the normal price which i can't afford again...please if you have this coure...kindly help ...please
I used torrent to download the files about 2 years ago
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Meklo: 2:44am On Aug 03, 2022
remi1444:
I have paid for the Javascript course. If you want I can share my login information with you.

Please Share your login information for me.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Saverin: 3:22am On Aug 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by SarutobiEky(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2022
The5DME:
Good evening bro. I don't know if you can still remember, but you once 'promised' me that if I get a Laptop, you'll give me some courses you used while learning. Well, now I have a Laptop, and I'd really need those courses bro embarassed
I've been trying to reach out, but u no de anwser me again.
Baba.. abeg can you help me out with those courses too? Thanks.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Naijatask: 8:15am On Aug 23, 2022
SarutobiEky:
Baba.. abeg can you help me out with those courses too? Thanks.

Message me on WhatsApp eki. And if you don't remember what you saved my contact info with, Oyo for you tongue
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by SarutobiEky(m): 10:17am On Aug 23, 2022
Naijatask:

Message me on WhatsApp eki. And if you don't remember what you saved my contact info with, Oyo for you tongue
lol.. ah! Boss.. I go check cheesy I don beep you laidis sef..ah dey mad? grin cheesy
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by donfortune48(m): 7:31pm On Aug 24, 2022
macanakii:
If you're a Ruby or Rails beginner and needs someone to guide you, I can be of help. I mean guide not teach.

I want to give back to this community... Started from here and learned from people like dhtml18, DanielTheGeek, Larisoft, sleepingdemon just be reading their comments alone. This section used to be more interesting and most of us were not really driven by the money then.

Greetings bro.
I would like to contact you.
I just finished a 5months course on ruby on rails.
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Lorayne(m): 8:11am On Aug 26, 2022
Boss @tensazangetsu20 .

Should I learn git and GitHub after all these or before?

Or it's not that important?

cc qtguru
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by Shakitibob0: 9:45am On Sep 24, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Just use PHP. I don't think there's any core PHP DSA course but you can transcribe from the languages used to PHP
Hello bro

For the Maximillian Schwarz's course, Did you get his books or videos?
Re: How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48am On Sep 24, 2022
Shakitibob0:
Hello bro

For the Maximillian Schwarz's course, Did you get his books or videos?

Videos

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Association Of Programmers In Nigeria / Please Review My Price comparison engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.