Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) (79484 Views)

7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped / 3-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Yaba, Lagos (Photo) / Building Under Construction Collapses In Aba, Many Trapped (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by jimmynauty: 6:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
e be like say water don start to reclaim
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Tzar(m): 6:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
The ‘soil’ should collapse the building from the foundation & this will be evidenced by sinking from the foundation. What we see is SRUCTURAL collapse that is possible due to bad building practice OR the use of substandard materials.
If you invest millions & billions in a building but cannot investigate the minimum building requirements for your structure, HOW ON EARTH DO YOU BLAME ‘THE SOIL’?!

doggedfighter:
The season of collapsed buildings.

I heard Lekki soil is soft and not really good for storey buildings.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by mrkings84(m): 6:49pm On Nov 02, 2021
All these Dangote'e cement sef
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Timblogga: 6:53pm On Nov 02, 2021
MemoriesAndMe:

Haaa...you wan kee the owner? Na money just waste so bro.
the 21 storey that fell nko? Didn’t it kill multiple people.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Taogbera: 7:00pm On Nov 02, 2021
The latest trends
HonNL:

SOURCE
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Slymonster(m): 7:10pm On Nov 02, 2021
Any project more than a storey building should always be supervise. Especially lagos
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by doggedfighter(f): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2021
Tzar:
This is unverified & stupid. The ‘soil’ should collapse the building from the foundation & this will be evidenced by sinking from the foundation. What we see is SRUCTURAL collapse that is possible due to bad building practice OR the use of substandard materials.
If you invest millions & billions in a building but cannot investigate the minimum building requirements for your structure, HOW ON EARTH DO YOU BLAME ‘THE SOIL’?!

The insult isn't necessary. A simple explanation will do .

Hope you had a great day?
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by OkuFaba(m): 7:45pm On Nov 02, 2021
Mayhem1:
Las Las e go fall down too
it was built by one Arab construction company
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Tzar(m): 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2021
My apologies for my choice of words. I will edit it.

doggedfighter:

The insult isn't necessary. A simple explanation will do .

Hope you had a great day?
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by iamme1234(m): 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2021
Blogger and lies
Why not take us there
Do something meaningful wit your life
@.op blogger
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Bimpe29: 8:34pm On Nov 02, 2021
PCSI:
Substandard materials on the rise due to high cost of building materials.

I always advice potential house owners to supervise and purchase (when necessary) building materials themselves.

Most contractors/developers are greedy, they are only interested in their profit.
You have truly prevented many buildings from collapsing by this precious advice of yours.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by doggedfighter(f): 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
Tzar:
My apologies for my choice of words. I will edit it.

Your are welcome. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by ihedioramma: 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2021
HonNL:

SOURCE
The cement we use how good are they ?
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by SmartMen: 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2021
doggedfighter:

Lekki was sand filled.. Its used to be a beach area. Its waterlogged

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Nmezor(f): 10:19pm On Nov 02, 2021
Hmmmm,this is getting out of hand
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Nyenatetan(m): 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2021
Wait !

Like which body is responsible for checking the durability of all these cement produced in Nigeria �� ? ? ? ?

Is the Cement we're buying really worth the pay ? ? ?

honestly this needs to be put into consideration,
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by gymer(m): 11:16pm On Nov 02, 2021
Adamdau:
What is going on?

Buildings are collapsing in Lagos.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Rexnegro(m): 11:21pm On Nov 02, 2021
PCSI:
Substandard materials on the rise due to high cost of building materials.

I always advice potential house owners to supervise and purchase (when necessary) building materials themselves.

Most contractors/developers are greedy, they are only interested in their profit.
Your head get oil ehn , this was exactly what I did myself when we were building this below .
It's a 8 flats 4 up 4 down ... From the very first block to where is it now everything was bought by me. Blocks was moulded didn't buy a single one.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by uptownemmygee(m): 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
Be like this November nah month of building collapsing
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Mac2016(m): 12:21am On Nov 03, 2021
doggedfighter:

There's nothing like that, bro. A professional will never tell you such.
What about bridges that run over piers situated on "water"?
Once you're ready to build on soil with weak strata, kindly get a good engr. He will lead you right!

2 Likes

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Lugianostar(m): 12:57am On Nov 03, 2021
Soil engineers had to text the topography of the soil before building upstairs to help avoid stories that touches.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 2:36am On Nov 03, 2021
doggedfighter:

Is lekki a seismic zone area? , because in Ghana a Geotechnical investigation was done in weija and it was on record not more than 4 storey building should be built in that location else you risk life's and property of the owner and other people with in that space.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 2:39am On Nov 03, 2021
SmartMen:

Lekki was sand filled.. Its used to be a beach area. Its waterlogged
This another important Geotechnical investigation that needs serious consideration before putting up a structure on that soil.

1 Like

Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 2:44am On Nov 03, 2021
Tzar:
The ‘soil’ should collapse the building from the foundation & this will be evidenced by sinking from the foundation. What we see is SRUCTURAL collapse that is possible due to bad building practice OR the use of substandard materials.

Sinking alone isn't a guarantee that the soil is responsible, there are so many Geotechnical investigation on the soil that needs to be conducted before coming into conclusion.
I have seen Some areas in west African countries which are seismic zone, getting collapse which is due to the failure of the soil engineer to give Geotechnical reports on such soil which does not sink but it is due to the soil.
Some soils due to the closeness to the sea contains high alkalinity of salt content which needs to be treated before construction of any structure, some different foundations are recommended by the Geotechnical engineers.
Stop misinforming the public.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Jeffy1206(m): 4:26am On Nov 03, 2021
Why always Lagos? angry
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Tzar(m): 6:30am On Nov 03, 2021
Exactly my point. If you can afford to spend several millions and even billions to buy land and start building, why can’t you devote a portion of that money for something as important as investigating the engineering & legal requirements for the construction?!!!!
If the builders are allowed to engage science & the right findings and the proper building procedures and materials are used, the soil can NEVER collapse a building.
I am not a professional o but I am convinced that it is negligence (criminal negligence) that collapses such buildings.
Even in earthquake prone zones, builders now install dampers, in flood prone zones, they make floating foundations, in loose soil, they use deep piling, in salt prone areas, they use specially treated steel & concrete, etc
The science to build safely and securely exists, it is when we cut corners that disasters like this happen.

brandsoncharlie:

Sinking alone isn't a guarantee that the soil is responsible, there are so many Geotechnical investigation on the soil that needs to be conducted before coming into conclusion.
I have seen Some areas in west African countries which are seismic zone, getting collapse which is due to the failure of the soil engineer to give Geotechnical reports on such soil which does not sink but it is due to the soil.
Some soils due to the closeness to the sea contains high alkalinity of salt content which needs to be treated before construction of any structure, some different foundations are recommended by the Geotechnical engineers.
Stop misinforming the public.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Maximar: 8:36am On Nov 03, 2021
We need standard regulations in this construction industry. Even cement mixing for blocks get as e take be, ordinary small touch, block go dey crumble cry
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Xtopher123(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2021
Even if you use the best in materials, or you procured them yourself, If by design the building is faulty, it'll still collapse.

Nigerians cut a lot of corners even chamfer cause of profit,

You cut corners in design (Hire Quacks and Na my friend to do design because you want it cheap, Ignoring professionals)
You cut corners in Analysis (No soil test, No Flood Test, No Environmental Impact Assesment, No Structural Anaylysis, No form of analysis at all)
You cut corners in construction (Expan the building beyond it's design capacity, Hire QUACKs in place of actual Builders to Build, Hire QUACKS to supervise with no Tests to ensure standards are followed)

Then you think buying materials yourself or buying the highest quality will save you.

I give that building 10years Max and your so called quality materials will fail you.. May not collapse but you'll discover other problems (Over Settling, Leakages, Damp, Bukling etc)
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by Vision4God: 11:28am On Nov 03, 2021
Olayetan:

exactly what I was telling someone yesterday, lot of buildings are deserted in many estates and waiting for occupants but they keep building more and more and keep expanding their real estate to ibeju lekki as if nah ghost them dey build for.

I don't know how a sane person will go and buy land in ibeju lekki when many areas close to city is unoccupied.

So my question, to what end?
Yet chunk of the population cannot afford to eat, and even live in a decent accommodation.

These mega structures aren't built for the masses or do I say middle class, it's meant to rotate just amongst themselves. The rent and service charge no b here.

Well people go to ibeju lekki to buy land from these same top shots, at a price that seems fair. That's why yahoo yahoo no go finish.
Re: Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) by SmartMen: 6:18pm On Nov 03, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

This another important Geotechnical investigation that needs serious consideration before putting up a structure on that soil.
there used to be yearly concert called "Lekki Sun splash" it hosted stars like Fela, Raskimono, Oritwiliki, Majekfashek etc... At the Lekki Beach..

We attended with family members in the 90s.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Price On High Quality Tiles:Spain/Italy/China/Nigeria Tiles.(photos). / These Houses In Ebute Metta Are Too Close To Each Other (pictures) / Lagos Family Houses (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.