Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. (3431 Views)

Mr Macaroni, You Have Written Your Name In Gold / Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices / Makinde Unveils E-registration For Migrants In Oyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 9:25pm On Nov 02, 2021
It is not a misery nor debatable that the Yorubas were the first Nigerians to migrate to the gold coast ( Ghana) In the early 20th century till all other tribes started migrating into Ghana in the early 20th century.

so I have pondered for some time now since I came across a video of a young Ghana girl in 1957 who stated she saw Nigerians as inferior because they were mainly beggars in Ghana. who were the Nigerians in Ghana at that time? yorubas. and thanks to AbaLion whom just confirmed that.

The Yorubas were mainly paupers and beggars with no economic significance to Ghana but were mainly beggars that litered the streets of Ghana begging for alms to salvage their wretched existence.

this is a short clip of the video. skip to 1:40 of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPp_UzWWpA&list=WL&index=1

3 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by AchalugoNwa(f): 9:54pm On Nov 02, 2021
grin

8 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by PrinceOfLagos: 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
Rubbish thread

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 02, 2021
grin grin grin banta oh

2 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by BKayy: 9:58pm On Nov 02, 2021
They are still beggars today. Begging for Unity

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by BKayy: 10:20pm On Nov 02, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
Rubbish thread
Filled with Truth.
Let call it visual history

5 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Commentor: 10:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
If to say I never go Onitsha and Abakaliki before I for dey believe the lie say Igbo beggars no dey.

Dem full ground.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by BKayy: 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2021
Commentor:
If to say I never go Onitsha and Abakaliki before I for dey believe the lie say Igbo beggars no dey.

Dem full ground.
Your people begging in Igboland doesn't mean that Igbo have beggars.

After the inevitable dissolution of Nigeria I want to see how your people will smuggle themselves into Onitsha to beg

14 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Sergio101(m): 11:05pm On Nov 02, 2021
cool

Olaniyi adewale olaconehead....... do you not know that your forefathers were the greatest beggar in Africa...... And you want me to be your friend.
it's like you want me to go bankrupt.

Today na unity you dey beg for....... lolzzz.

can't stop laughing, beggars everywhere forming woke.

it's like almajiris dey learn work for where olaconheads dey sef

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Topleague(m): 11:06pm On Nov 02, 2021
another arrant posting from the other side of the niger. Their place would have been better if they can concentrate all this their idea over there. Always trying to talk down on other tribe no wonder erosion has eaten all their available land.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by DeadCountry: 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2021
BKayy:
They are still beggars today. Begging for Unity
Nna, those cat-faced people can beg ehh! I have never seen people that are afraid of living on their own as those people. All their life's existence depends on Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 02, 2021
bomb24:
It is not a misery nor debatable that the Yorubas were the first Nigerians to migrate to the gold coast ( Ghana) In the early 20th century till all other tribes started migrating into Ghana in the early 20th century.

so I have pondered for sometime now since I came across a video of a young Ghana girl in 1957 who stated she saw Nigerians as inferior because they were mainly beggars in Ghana. who were the Nigerians in Ghana at time? yorubas. and thanks to AbaLion whom just confirmed that.

The Yorubas were mainly paupers and beggars with no economic significance to Ghana but were mainly beggars that litered the streets of Ghana begging for alms to salvage wretched existence.

this is short clip of video. skip to 1:40 of video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPp_UzWWpA&list=WL&index=1

i did not bother to watch this video now because i have watched it before, the topic was on prejudice

the girl never said the Yoruba people were beggars

the girl said Nigerians are beggars in her country, ghana.

if we are to critically view the subjected matter, we all know she is talking about bambi-allah, who are people from the northern part of nigeria in our formative years and even till this very day, are still in existence and scattered all over Nigeria.

Please, let's say it, as it is.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 11:22pm On Nov 02, 2021
obehi247:

i did not bother to watch this video now because i have watched it before, the topic was on pred

the girl never said the Yoruba people were beggars

the girl said Nigerians are beggars in her country, ghana.

if we are to critically view the subjected matter, we all know she is talking about bambi-allah, who are people from the northern part of nigeria in our formative years and even till this very day, are still in existence and scattered all over Nigeria.

Please, let's say it, as it is.

the Yorubas were the first Nigerians to migrate to the gold coast ( ghana) not the Hausas. the Hausas barely migrate to other West African Nations. so the reference was on the yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 02, 2021
bomb24:

the Yorubas were the first Nigerians to migrate to the gold coast ( ghana) not the Hausas. the Hausas barely migrate to other West African Nations. so the reference was on the yorubas.

lol...

the Yoruba people can never beg...

the people of Southern Nigeria can never beg...

we all know the beggars in Nigeria...

remove the south from the north and see the meaning of begging

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 11:34pm On Nov 02, 2021
Topleague:
another arrant posting from the other side of the niger. Their place would have been better if they can concentrate all this their idea over there. Always trying to talk down on other tribe no wonder erosion has eaten all their available land.

My candid advice to you is to take the path of awoism if u can't stand the pain.. gakya!

1 Like

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by dasparrow: 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
I guess this thread is rebuttal to the other thread from AbaLion. LOL! Nairalanders! Are you not tired of the back and forth?

2 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by LegendHero(m): 11:39pm On Nov 02, 2021
Awon didinrin plenty for Nairaland.

Ask why Nigerians were expelled from Ghana and you will know how the Yorubas dominated Ghana trade which led to the expulsion.

Nigerians (majority are Yorubas) in Ghana then are traders, cocoa farmers, farm labourers and farm contractors, factory workers as well as menial workers in construction sites and there was a huge influx of Nigerians into Ghana between 1931 and 1960.

The present is always a key to the past and it is only a mentally deranged person that will say a Yoruba person will be doing begging as a tribal trade in Ghana in the 50s.

All those domination of Nigerians was why Ghana started the policie of “Aliens Compliance Order” of 18 November, 1969 . That order wasn’t only about Nigerians tho, it affected other countries like Togo, Ivory Coast and etc. but Nigerians are the majority of the victims and you have over 140,000 Yorubas expelled from Ghana out of 191,000 Nigerian immigrant in Ghana then.

All this info are online. But I know Agbari Ojuku people cannot comprehend.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 11:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
obehi247:

lol...

the Yoruba people can never beg...

the people of Southern Nigeria can never beg...

we all know the beggars in Nigeria...

remove the south from the north and see the meaning of begging

leave the north out of this. the truth they say is bitter.

2 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by RuggedBiafran: 11:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 11:52pm On Nov 02, 2021
LegendHero:
Awon didinrin plenty for Nairaland.

Ask why Nigerians were expelled from Ghana and you will know how the Yorubas dominated Ghana trade which led to the expulsion.

Nigerians in Ghana then are traders, cocoa farmers, farm labourers and farm contractors, factory workers as well as menial workers in construction sites and there was a huge influx of Nigerians into Ghana between 1931 and 1960.

The present is always a key to the past and it is only a mentally deranged person that will say a Yoruba person will be doing begging as a tribal trade in Ghana in the 50s.

All those domination of Nigerians was why Ghana started the policie of “Aliens Compliance Order” of 18 November, 1969 . That order wasn’t only about Nigerians tho, it affected other countries like Togo, Ivory Coast and etc. but Nigerians are the majority of the victims and you have over 140,000 Yorubas expelled from Ghana out of 191,000 Nigerian immigrant in Ghana then.

All this info are online. But I know Agbari Ojuku people cannot comprehend.

Oluwole Historian, History is sacred my friend. that little Ghana Girl was actually spitting facts, 99% of the Nigerians in ghana at the time were the Yorubas it could never have been the Hausas that barely leave their turf nor the Igbos and SS who had little or no presence in ghana up to till the early 21st century. In reference to her statement, the Yorubas were actually the bam bialas in ghana plying their trade as usual. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
Yoruba have never left their developed region to beg, not in 1600 or 2021, we were rich from the beginning of time.

Ibos were practicing osu, the osu people graduated into beggers

Tell me alaigbo man, tell me why most e-beggers are Ibos? Was that not what Bello El Rufai said?

16 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Obamaofusa: 12:01am On Nov 03, 2021
bomb24:

Where is your proof?
Yorubas have always been the richest Nigerians even before the advent of Nigeria when Igbos were covering their yansh with their bare hands and living in huts were Ijaw,Igala and Binis took them as slaves.

Yorubas had Empire and were taking tributes from countries like Dahomey etc.
Igbos are still slaves till date.

14 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 12:04am On Nov 03, 2021
SlyDev:
Yoruba have never left their developed region to beg, not in 1600 or 2021, we were rich from the beginning of time.

Ibos were practicing osu, the osu people graduated into beggers

Tell me alaigbo man, tell me why most e-beggers are Ibos? Was that not what Bello El Rufai said?

retrogressive region u mean filled with beans shaped head savages of people that still circumcise their female genitals, and harvest human skull and body parts for money rituals. a region filled with filth and clouded with brown roofs and mud houses.

your forefathers were wretched beggars who had to ply their begging trade in ghana they had no economic significance to Ghana and were seen as lesser men not worthy to be categorized as humans.

2 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Obamaofusa: 12:13am On Nov 03, 2021
bomb24:

retrogressive region u mean filled with beans shaped head savages of people that still circumcise their female genitals, and harvest human skull and body parts for money rituals. a region filled with filth and clouded with brown roofs and mud houses.

your forefathers were wretched beggars who had to ply their begging trade in ghana they had no economic significance to Ghana and were seen as lesser men not worthy to be categorized as humans.
Remove Osu people from SW and skull mining which originated from alaigbo will stop.
The ritual killing happening in Igboland especially in their baby factories all over Nigeria is 100x anywhere in Nigeria.
I bet that Ghanians are still pursuing your parents as they did in the olden days.
That everybody has seen.

12 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Obamaofusa: 12:20am On Nov 03, 2021
These are Yoruba billionaires and business people in the olden days when Igbo ancestors were learning how to wear clothes in their Ijaw masters slave fields.
Sometimes I laugh when petty traders call themselves business men....lol
Igbos have always been povertystricken even till date.Ask World Bank... grin

Candido Da Rocha (1860 – 1959)

Candido Da Rocha was a Nigerian born in Brazil. Upon his return to Nigeria with his father, Esan Da Rocha, he made a fortune that has today become the subject of fact and fiction.

Da Rocha was unlike Evander Wall – both were born in 1860 – who became a millionaire at 18 and a multimillionaire at 22, when he inherited a million dollars from his father and grandfather respectively.

An extravagant showman, Wall bought 5,000 neckties and 300 pairs of gloves. He was the first man in America to wear a tuxedo. He was reported to have changed his outfit 40 times in a single morning.

Considered a millionaire, Da Rocha too had dozens of clothes and he could afford to send his dirty clothes to the laundryman in the United Kingdom – which he did for many years.

Shrewd and forthright, the first Nigerian millionaire was not given to unnecessary platitudes and politicking.

“His friend Herbert Macaulay persuaded him to join politics. On a particular day when he was addressing would-be voters, he simply told them that he was seeking their votes to represent them. He made it clear that he would not use his wealth to get their votes.

At the end of the day, he didn’t win,” his 90-year-old granddaughter, Mrs. Angelica Oyediran, told SUNDAY PUNCH.

How wealthy was Da Rocha?

“I can’t put a figure to it. However, I can tell you that Papa was so rich that he assisted many people in the society. He supported the government during the Second World War. He also supported the Catholic Church. When the Holy Cross Cathedral was built, he paid for the building of three chapels. The British respected him a lot. He was highly respected; a disciplined man who hated dishonesty and lying. I lived with him in this house for three years. I was very close to him. He loved me and I was fond of him,” the granddaughter explained.

Describing Da Rocha’s generosity, she said, “People would come to him, crying, requesting financial assistance; from the balcony, asking how much they needed, he would throw down the money to them.”

Da Rocha became a water merchant, selling water from the house (he inherited from his father, Esan Da Rocha) – famously called Casa d’Agua or water house. Da Rocha would later venture into real estate and the hospitality business. He opened The Restaurant Da Rocha, Bonanza Hotel, and Sierra Leone Deep Sea Fishing Industries Ltd. He also went into a partnership with two other businessmen, J. H. Doherty and Sedu Williams, to establish the Lagos Native Bank.

Timothy Odutola (1902-1995)

On March 25, 1943, the man who later became arguably the most respected politician and strategist in Nigeria, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, requested a loan of £1,400 from Timothy Odutola.

The loan, according to Awolowo, would be fully paid in 12 years. He did not get the loan. But, the duo would later form a strong political alliance in the old Western Region.

Stupendously rich, Odutola was the first president of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria. He was reported to have established a multimillion-dollar business, including three factories, a retail franchise, a cattle ranch and a sawmill before 1960.

Before his breakthrough, he worked as a clerk in various departments of the Lagos Colony and in the Ijebu Native Administration between 1921 and 1932.

By 1932, he opened stores where he sold damasks and fish in various cities in the Western Region; and later, he began trading in cocoa and palm oil.

An enterprising man, he also dealt in sawmilling and gold mining. By 1967, he had begun production of tyres and tubes which did so well that he added a $1,700,000 plant, with the plan to harvest his own rubber from his 5,000-acre plantation.

“The time is coming when we will produce more than we can consume and we will have to look outside Nigeria for markets,” Odutola had once said.

Prior to his death, however, he might have been less optimistic, as he watched Nigeria’s political and economic growth take a turn for the worse under the jackboot of maximum ruler, Gen. Sani Abacha.

Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony (1907-1991)

Businessman and philanthropist, he was a former council president of the Lagos Stock Exchange. He was also a minority investor in Aero Contractors and at a time held the distributional rights to cars manufactured by Rootes Group.

Between 1923 and 1930, he worked as a junior clerk in the correspondence section of the Post and Telegraphs Department. By 1931, he went into business, travelling to Germany and England to study how to make palm oil. Following that, he established M. de Bank Brothers, to trade in palm oil and patent medicine.

After sometime, he began importing watches, clocks and pens – at a point, becoming the third largest seller of fountain pens in Nigeria after UAC and the United Trading Company. He also owned a tanker fleet and a charter airline.

He was one of the earliest Nigerians to become chairman of a European company in 1950 – he was the chairman of the Italian Construction firm, Borini Prono and Company. He was also a director of Mobil Oil and Friesland Foods back then.

Shafi Edu (1911–2002)

In 1965, TIME magazine named Shafi Edu one of Nigeria’s richest men. Along with Talabi Braithwaite, he co-founded the first indigenous insurance company in the country. He had shares in big companies like Bata, Alumaco, Wiggins Teape, BP (formerly British Petroleum), Lever Brothers and Nigerian Breweries.

Edu was the first president of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and the Lagos Rotary Club.

At 54, he had built a fleet of eight oil tankers. He was also on the boards of Blackwood Hodge Nigeria, Haden Nigeria, Glaxo Nigeria and the Federal Industrial Loans from 1954 to 1959.

He was elected into the old Western Region’s House of Assembly in 1951, and was later nominated to represent Epe at the Federal House of Representatives.

Ade Tuyo

Born in 1902, he was described as Nigeria’s most prominent baker in the mid-1960s. Featured in Time magazine’s list of millionaires in Nigeria in 1965, Tuyo at the time had four outlets and was making 115 products. According to the magazine, he was running a business that would have “first priority in people’s spending.”

“The firm’s unusual name – De Facto Works Ltd. – was shrewdly chosen by Tuyo to impress Nigerian bankers with the fact that he was seriously in business,” it said.

Trained as a teacher, Tuyo left the profession to work for 24 years in the Nigerian Railway Corporation, the British Bank of West Africa and the Ministry of Commerce. He retired in 1953.

The bakery was started by his wife. After his retirement, he took over the catering business. By 1969, his bakery service was the largest in the country.

Talabi Braithwaite (1928–2011)

Regarded as one of Nigeria’s youngest businessmen of his time, Talabi Braithwaite left a British insurance company to found a firm that would write life insurance on Nigerians which the British underwriters avoided like the plague. So successful was he that his African Alliance Insurance Co. Ltd occupied a six-storey office and had 300 bush-beating agents. Braithwaite lived in an elegant house in Ikoyi.

He was the first African to pass the examination to become an associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute, London in 1951. Braithwaite, in 1960, advised the government of the Western Region as a risk consultant when it formed the Great Nigeria Insurance Company. Between 1963 and 1966, he served as the first indigenous president of the Insurance Institute of Nigeria. He was also first president of the Nigerian Corporation of Insurance Brokers for 16 years, starting in 1963.

In 1969, he became an underwriting member of Lloyd’s of London, and from 1970 he started underwriting on the Merrett Syndicate.

https://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 12:22am On Nov 03, 2021
Obamaofusa:

Where is your proof?
Yorubas have always been the richest Nigerians even before the advent of Nigeria when Igbos were covering their yansh with their bare hands and living in huts were Ijaw,Igala and Binis took them as slaves.

Yorubas had Empire and were taking tributes from countries like Dahomey etc.
Igbos are still slaves till date.

balderdash asking me for proof when all the facts you need are on this thread. Richest tribe my anus when your inferior ancestors were actually worthless sub-humans who plied their trade begging every Ohema and Appiah for pennies and fed on crumbs given to them. grin

your Oyo puny-empire only exists in your soured ewedu brains, your Oyo history is shrouded in slavery and humiliation. your people were beaten blue-black by Dahomey teenage girls and were captured as slaves as their black asses were exported to brazil while the remaining yaribanzas had to hide on rocks to avoid the fury of Dahomey fighters. tour kingdom was sacked by the nupes and your people taken as slaves, you were suyanized by the Fulanis and till date, your people are still slaves and their generation unborn will continue to Roth away in Ilorin as slaves. let me remind you that your people in present-day ondo and ekiti were slaves to the oba of benin. history has it a certain yaribanza king was beheaded for flouting his orders. grin
Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 12:28am On Nov 03, 2021
Obamaofusa:

These are Yoruba billionaires and business people in the olden days when Igbo ancestors were learning how to wear clothes in their Ijaw masters slave fields.
Sometimes I laugh when petty traders call themselves business men....lol
Igbos have always been povertystricken even till date.Ask World Bank... grin

Candido Da Rocha (1860 – 1959)

Candido Da Rocha was a Nigerian born in Brazil. Upon his return to Nigeria with his father, Esan Da Rocha, he made a fortune that has today become the subject of fact and fiction.

Da Rocha was unlike Evander Wall – both were born in 1860 – who became a millionaire at 18 and a multimillionaire at 22, when he inherited a million dollars from his father and grandfather respectively.

An extravagant showman, Wall bought 5,000 neckties and 300 pairs of gloves. He was the first man in America to wear a tuxedo. He was reported to have changed his outfit 40 times in a single morning.

Considered a millionaire, Da Rocha too had dozens of clothes and he could afford to send his dirty clothes to the laundryman in the United Kingdom – which he did for many years.

Shrewd and forthright, the first Nigerian millionaire was not given to unnecessary platitudes and politicking.

“His friend Herbert Macaulay persuaded him to join politics. On a particular day when he was addressing would-be voters, he simply told them that he was seeking their votes to represent them. He made it clear that he would not use his wealth to get their votes.

At the end of the day, he didn’t win,” his 90-year-old granddaughter, Mrs. Angelica Oyediran, told SUNDAY PUNCH.

How wealthy was Da Rocha?

“I can’t put a figure to it. However, I can tell you that Papa was so rich that he assisted many people in the society. He supported the government during the Second World War. He also supported the Catholic Church. When the Holy Cross Cathedral was built, he paid for the building of three chapels. The British respected him a lot. He was highly respected; a disciplined man who hated dishonesty and lying. I lived with him in this house for three years. I was very close to him. He loved me and I was fond of him,” the granddaughter explained.

Describing Da Rocha’s generosity, she said, “People would come to him, crying, requesting financial assistance; from the balcony, asking how much they needed, he would throw down the money to them.”

Da Rocha became a water merchant, selling water from the house (he inherited from his father, Esan Da Rocha) – famously called Casa d’Agua or water house. Da Rocha would later venture into real estate and the hospitality business. He opened The Restaurant Da Rocha, Bonanza Hotel, and Sierra Leone Deep Sea Fishing Industries Ltd. He also went into a partnership with two other businessmen, J. H. Doherty and Sedu Williams, to establish the Lagos Native Bank.

Timothy Odutola (1902-1995)

On March 25, 1943, the man who later became arguably the most respected politician and strategist in Nigeria, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, requested a loan of £1,400 from Timothy Odutola.

The loan, according to Awolowo, would be fully paid in 12 years. He did not get the loan. But, the duo would later form a strong political alliance in the old Western Region.

Stupendously rich, Odutola was the first president of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria. He was reported to have established a multimillion-dollar business, including three factories, a retail franchise, a cattle ranch and a sawmill before 1960.

Before his breakthrough, he worked as a clerk in various departments of the Lagos Colony and in the Ijebu Native Administration between 1921 and 1932.

By 1932, he opened stores where he sold damasks and fish in various cities in the Western Region; and later, he began trading in cocoa and palm oil.

An enterprising man, he also dealt in sawmilling and gold mining. By 1967, he had begun production of tyres and tubes which did so well that he added a $1,700,000 plant, with the plan to harvest his own rubber from his 5,000-acre plantation.

“The time is coming when we will produce more than we can consume and we will have to look outside Nigeria for markets,” Odutola had once said.

Prior to his death, however, he might have been less optimistic, as he watched Nigeria’s political and economic growth take a turn for the worse under the jackboot of maximum ruler, Gen. Sani Abacha.

Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony (1907-1991)

Businessman and philanthropist, he was a former council president of the Lagos Stock Exchange. He was also a minority investor in Aero Contractors and at a time held the distributional rights to cars manufactured by Rootes Group.

Between 1923 and 1930, he worked as a junior clerk in the correspondence section of the Post and Telegraphs Department. By 1931, he went into business, travelling to Germany and England to study how to make palm oil. Following that, he established M. de Bank Brothers, to trade in palm oil and patent medicine.

After sometime, he began importing watches, clocks and pens – at a point, becoming the third largest seller of fountain pens in Nigeria after UAC and the United Trading Company. He also owned a tanker fleet and a charter airline.

He was one of the earliest Nigerians to become chairman of a European company in 1950 – he was the chairman of the Italian Construction firm, Borini Prono and Company. He was also a director of Mobil Oil and Friesland Foods back then.

Shafi Edu (1911–2002)

In 1965, TIME magazine named Shafi Edu one of Nigeria’s richest men. Along with Talabi Braithwaite, he co-founded the first indigenous insurance company in the country. He had shares in big companies like Bata, Alumaco, Wiggins Teape, BP (formerly British Petroleum), Lever Brothers and Nigerian Breweries.

Edu was the first president of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and the Lagos Rotary Club.

At 54, he had built a fleet of eight oil tankers. He was also on the boards of Blackwood Hodge Nigeria, Haden Nigeria, Glaxo Nigeria and the Federal Industrial Loans from 1954 to 1959.

He was elected into the old Western Region’s House of Assembly in 1951, and was later nominated to represent Epe at the Federal House of Representatives.

Ade Tuyo

Born in 1902, he was described as Nigeria’s most prominent baker in the mid-1960s. Featured in Time magazine’s list of millionaires in Nigeria in 1965, Tuyo at the time had four outlets and was making 115 products. According to the magazine, he was running a business that would have “first priority in people’s spending.”

“The firm’s unusual name – De Facto Works Ltd. – was shrewdly chosen by Tuyo to impress Nigerian bankers with the fact that he was seriously in business,” it said.

Trained as a teacher, Tuyo left the profession to work for 24 years in the Nigerian Railway Corporation, the British Bank of West Africa and the Ministry of Commerce. He retired in 1953.

The bakery was started by his wife. After his retirement, he took over the catering business. By 1969, his bakery service was the largest in the country.

Talabi Braithwaite (1928–2011)

Regarded as one of Nigeria’s youngest businessmen of his time, Talabi Braithwaite left a British insurance company to found a firm that would write life insurance on Nigerians which the British underwriters avoided like the plague. So successful was he that his African Alliance Insurance Co. Ltd occupied a six-storey office and had 300 bush-beating agents. Braithwaite lived in an elegant house in Ikoyi.

He was the first African to pass the examination to become an associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute, London in 1951. Braithwaite, in 1960, advised the government of the Western Region as a risk consultant when it formed the Great Nigeria Insurance Company. Between 1963 and 1966, he served as the first indigenous president of the Insurance Institute of Nigeria. He was also first president of the Nigerian Corporation of Insurance Brokers for 16 years, starting in 1963.

In 1969, he became an underwriting member of Lloyd’s of London, and from 1970 he started underwriting on the Merrett Syndicate.

https://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

It seems I'm conversing with a 10-year-old boy. all these your mushroom men are not worthy of mention compared to

"Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu." the first Nigerian billionaire grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by bomb24: 12:31am On Nov 03, 2021
Obamaofusa:

Remove Osu people from SW and skull mining which originated from alaigbo will stop.
The ritual killing happening in Igboland especially in their baby factories all over Nigeria is 100x anywhere in Nigeria.
I bet that Ghanians are still pursuing your parents as they did in the olden days.
That everybody has seen.

incoherent Bullshiit. grin grin
Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 03, 2021
You people and your fake news have come again. Please tag where in the video did she specifically say “Yoruba”? You peoples obsession with us will never end.

7 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Sergio101(m): 12:52am On Nov 03, 2021
bomb24:

It seems I'm conversing with a 10-year-old boy. all these your mushroom men are not worthy of mention compared to

"Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu." the first Nigerian billionaire grin grin grin

cool.

Nice one bro, you really nailed it.

At the mention of "Chief Louis ojukwu"........ All olaconeheads prostrate.

Odogwu no be guy name.
Igbo no be una mate.

@obamaofusa, tell me any of your millionaire that went half the worth of Louis ojukwu back then.

you can also search for the richest Nigeria in pre-i dependence.

Give the upper hand to Igbos.......... we no dey have mercy

3 Likes

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by KoshCAD: 12:59am On Nov 03, 2021
Commentor:

Dem full ground.
Hahahaha, you get that.

I was going out today, to my surprise, you know those begger that have different ailments begging for money, mostly igbos, they have now advance to putting themselves in the middle of the road.

I get you well cos I have been to those places, go to enugu too and see them.

Abakaliki is worst.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Early Yoruba Migrants In Gold Coast [ghana] Were Beggars. by Christistruth00: 1:03am On Nov 03, 2021
The Ogbomosho were the earliest Yoruba migrants into Ghana and they were Successful Traders

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

s / See Result Of How Tinubu, Atiku And Obi Will Perform In 2023 / Today Sit At Home In Wotowoto Style - IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.