Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? (2316 Views)

Between Yorubas And Hausas-fulanis, Who Are The Dirtiest People In Nigeria? / Is This True About Yorubas / Igbos And Yorubas Have Historical Ties – Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:11am On Nov 03, 2021
So I was reading these and I noticed that Yorubas are the BEST

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:12am On Nov 03, 2021
Ibo

2 Shares

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:13am On Nov 03, 2021
houssa

2 Shares

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by CountVersailles(f): 1:13am On Nov 03, 2021
Grow up and stop wallowing in tribalism. It's not healthy and makes you subhuman
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:14am On Nov 03, 2021
benin ijaw nupe and tiv..

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:15am On Nov 03, 2021
kanuri

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:16am On Nov 03, 2021
https://books.google.com/books?id=PhfluJdZwzcC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=%22The+Hausa,+Ibo,+and+Yoruba,+each+with+over+5+million+members%22&source=bl&ots=DbjBMKJ10O&sig=ACfU3U3fEubejzqDa8zNuuZVqy3ltgQxcQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjsh_7U7vrzAhXPSzABHeL5BbsQ6AF6BAgCEAM#v=onepage&q&f=false

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Faber(m): 1:22am On Nov 03, 2021
That okro dey draw no mean say e fit gum shoe...

That Nigeria have national anthem and flag no mean say it's a real country...

Pull down this Zoo so that all animals will go there separate ways.

How u go put, lizard, Tortoise, Nchi, Agụiyi, Lion, monkey, Elephant, kpalakụkụ,etc in one cage and tell them that they are one. Your head correct so

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 1:26am On Nov 03, 2021
Slight fix here

1 Like

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Dottore: 4:59am On Nov 03, 2021
Ok
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Nosayer: 5:23am On Nov 03, 2021
To a large extent, they are right. Putting sentiments and tribal superiority aside, each of the major Nigerian tribes have their strengths and shortcomings. But the problem I've observed among the masses and people at the lower wrung of the ladder is the tendency to show that "my tribe is better than others".

This is why tribalism is so rife on Nairaland here. At the top economic ladder, among the political, religious, economic, academic and entertainment elites, there is no tribal superiority. Superiority of interest is only what matters.

On another note, this handbook if it is indeed by the US Army, shows why Nigeria deserves a loose central government if it is to prosper. How can you glue all these distinct people together and govern them with a feudalistic ideology that is alien to most of the other regions except the regions that has had much control over the country?

Until we get internal independence from the feudalistic mindset, Nigeria may keep struggling.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by muheeb01(m): 7:46am On Nov 03, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by CUMIN: 8:19am On Nov 03, 2021
This views have not changed since independence. The Yoruba are still intermediator for this country.

6 Likes

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Kayberg: 9:07am On Nov 03, 2021
TAO11
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Rahkman: 9:33am On Nov 03, 2021
Very very distinct cultures yet u lump them into one country and call all of them "nigger"ians
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by IjapaTiroko: 9:33am On Nov 03, 2021
What an interesting read.
I've been reading more pages through the link provided.

I see reasons to keep clamouring for an independent Yoruba country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by siofra(f): 10:18am On Nov 03, 2021
According to what I saw there, the hausas identify people according to their religion. Interesting!!!

Why are the hausas so obsessed with religion? Is it because of their docile nature? Or because of the fanatic nature of Islam?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 10:58am On Nov 03, 2021
CountVersailles:
Grow up and stop wallowing in tribalism. It's not healthy and makes you subhuman

Will you sharrap

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 11:09am On Nov 03, 2021
The awesome Ibibio too..

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by RedboneSmith(m): 1:03pm On Nov 03, 2021
NubaVertigo:
So I was reading these and I noticed that Yorubas are the BEST

I want to understand on what grounds you adjudged the Yorubas to be the best.
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 2:30pm On Nov 03, 2021
RedboneSmith:

I want to understand on what grounds you adjudged the Yorubas to be the best.

On the grounds of the most interesting men and the most classy women!! wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Proudnigerian60: 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2021
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Naigleria1: 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2021
Multiple old accounts have described different tribes in different ways
Op, you can test the credibility of your source by comparing it to earlier descriptions from colonialists, merchants and explorers because they got to witness history firsthand
Don’t interrogate me if their views conflict with your views culled from a post-civil war biased piece of writing from a country that masterminded the demise of 2 million Igbo people just to secure petrodollars.
It would surprise you how they described and laid emphasis on the Igbo people
For the most part, nobody is better or worse here. The people not forming under one political unit isn’t a bad thing, the Greeks never did, yet they spearheaded science, arts, literature, etc.
Regardless of that, you are free to assume whatever you will.

1 Like

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 3:49am On Nov 09, 2021
Naigleria1:
Multiple old accounts have described different tribes in different ways
Op, you can test the credibility of your source by comparing it to earlier descriptions from colonialists, merchants and explorers because they got to witness history firsthand
Don’t interrogate me if their views conflict with your views culled from a post-civil war biased piece of writing from a country that masterminded the demise of 2 million Igbo people just to secure petrodollars.
It would surprise you how they described and laid emphasis on the Igbo people
For the most part, nobody is better or worse here. The people not forming under one political unit isn’t a bad thing, the Greeks never did, yet they spearheaded science, arts, literature, etc.
Regardless of that, you are free to assume whatever you will.

I don't understand... what are these phantom contradictions you are evasively alluding to? Where are your earlier sources which claimed to do something comparable? I think you are trying to tell me you disagree with certain things in the write-up. Can you just tell me what you disagree with? I am all ears. I am just joking about Yorubas being the best. I love my people and it is what it is. Personally, I think the intelligence gathering there did a phenomenal job as there is no-one in the country that is not already acquainted with many of the designations here allotted to each group. Only ones that were really news to me, were Nupe, Ibibio for the most part

2 Likes

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by ANON333: 8:41am On Nov 10, 2021
I've seen a lot of sense here.

1 Like

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by Transcriber: 12:06pm On Nov 10, 2021
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by NubaVertigo(m): 3:30pm On Nov 10, 2021
Transcriber:

I'm going to need a transcription of that emoji
Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by xxxXXXxxx: 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
Interesting thread!

The opinions and observations in the handbook might not be absolutely correct, although it could worth a read.

Africans need to sincerely write and control the narratives of the African story; its history in all its genuineness, rather than allowing foreigners do so.

1 Like

Re: Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? by pak: 3:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
This is an interesting read.

Will like to come back to this

(1) (Reply)

Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State / Sarah Forbes Bonetta - An African Princess in Victorian England (with Pics) / About Akweya People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.