Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,922 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days (4287 Views)

UNILAG Convocation: Falola Advocates Study Of Ifa, Witchcraft In Universities / SSANU: Strike Looms In Universities As FG Fails April Deadline Agreement / Abolish Acceptance Fees In Universities - FG Gets 7-Day Ultimatum One Love Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Biglittlelois(f): 10:56am On Nov 04, 2021
dasparrow:

Because African society pampers sons to the point that they spoil them so what do people expect? Of course, they will under perform academically.

African society pampers sons? So many guys here will strongly disagree with you cos it has been said countless times that ladies are being given handout and spoonfed.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Biglittlelois(f): 10:58am On Nov 04, 2021
Mercychen:
Yahoo things on their minds.
The Get-rich-quick mentality has eaten deep into a lot of our male youth. So the interest in education in no longer there hence the drop in their academic performance.

You see them, all they do is carry phones and walking about aimlessly in groups of 4 & 5 looking for what is not lost. Theylll never read their books.
Then at night, you see them jumping into one of thems car and zooming off with speed as if being chased by something. I stay around major students hostels so I know what I'm talking about.

If you see these ones I'm talking about, very clean chaps o. As in.. ajebo to the kor but all they do is hang out and jive out.

May God help us.

Rightly said.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Roma10: 11:26am On Nov 04, 2021
The pressure is over high
Yahoo things on mind grin
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Bunmhi(f): 11:33am On Nov 04, 2021
Because guys are hustling big time. Most of the guys in my department don't even have a lesson note to jot let alone read. The only thing they do best is to flash their lousy life styles and all

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Raydos: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2021
Actually I think separate schools are a good idea, Boys and girls learn differently, Boy would learn more if they work as Interns at workshop/Lab e.t.c rather than sitting in a classroom memorising facts

The current educational system in most countries favours girls. Sitting in one place and learning things like a factory worker doesn't suit boys and it shows

Girls tends to do better than boys in school and boys are more likely to be prescribed medication for hyperactive behaviour/Poor attention

Boys are not suited to learning things in a rigid classroom atmosphere

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Chevrolet076(m): 12:37pm On Nov 04, 2021
babasolution:
Can boys in universities explain the sudden slump in their performances, why is it that it's now the norm for girls to be best graduating students,not only that but in hitherto male dominated courses like engineering and medicine,this trend is happening in secondary and primary schools also,what is actually going on,what is really wrong with boys now?

Why not start by providing reliable statistics to back your claim up? Or you rely on the number of publicly celebrated graduate to judge? That'll be a very flawed excuse

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by babasolution: 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2021
Chevrolet076:

Why not start by providing reliable statistics to back your claim up? Or you rely on the number of publicly celebrated graduate to judge? That'll be a very flawed excuse

Yes,I rely on publicly celebrated graduates,its obvious both in secondary and universities that girls outperform boys in academics, going by the sheer number of publicly celebrated female best graduating students
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by 9gerian: 12:59pm On Nov 04, 2021
It is commendable that more women are leading the best graduating students. However, does the current statistics indicate a majority of the best graduates are women? This is where there can be a problem, if that is not replicated in leadership in the society and government (although we must first assume that formal education is the only relevant basis for development and leadership).

I think there are some cases of ladies leading but not the majority. In addition, there are other life’s experiences that count for success just as much, and sometimes even more than formal education. Work experience, vocational Interests, acquired skills, training, boldness and entrepreneurship etc all contribute to the overall success of an individual these days, hence, formal education is one (quite significant) of the many items on the checklist for the enduring contributions and success of any individual.

So please let the females continue in their strides, even as we encourage the men to own their own efforts too. Enough room for everyone.

babasolution:
Can boys in universities explain the sudden slump in their performances, why is it that it's now the norm for girls to be best graduating students,not only that but in hitherto male dominated courses like engineering and medicine,this trend is happening in secondary and primary schools also,what is actually going on,what is really wrong with boys now?
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Harrykn: 1:03pm On Nov 04, 2021
Everyday we go through struggle and pain esp to the niqqas who barely feed a day nor provide basic needs, I read but can’t spend all this 6-12hrs shift because I’ll need money for so many things. It was never easy for A Niqqa

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Iffypsalm: 1:18pm On Nov 04, 2021
Hmmm... Just the way we are to ask ourselves why ladies aren't doing well....

It's time to drop that sense of judgement from one point of view. Not only boys that aren't doing well we have ladies who are doing badly in the academics. This is not the point of been dull or not been studious likewise. Some are born out of other factors we might not know.

So certain claims are not to be generalize... And this one is not a subject that suit a debate... So the same way we have boys not doing well in school is the same we have with ladies doing bad in there choice of academics.

Thanks.....
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by babasolution: 1:19pm On Nov 04, 2021
9gerian:
It is commendable that more women are leading the best graduating students. However, does the current statistics indicate a majority of the best graduates are women? This is where there can be a problem, if that is not replicated in leadership in the society and government (although we must first assume that formal education is the only relevant basis for development and leadership).

I think there are some cases of ladies leading but not the majority. In addition, there are other life’s experiences that count for success just as much, and sometimes even more than formal education. Work experience, vocational Interests, acquired skills, training, boldness and entrepreneurship etc all contribute to the overall success of an individual these days, hence, formal education is one (quite significant) of the many items on the checklist for the enduring contributions and success of any individual.

So please let the females continue in their strides, even as we encourage the men to own their own efforts too. Enough room for everyone.

One solid ingredient for success in life is conscientiousness,which many overlook,top graduating students always exhibit this habit,therefore it propels them to the top no matter the situation or challenge. This is where the problem for boys lie,they seem to be loosing conscientiousness, that grit to go all the way and give your all.This is a critical value that boys are loosing and might cost them as men in the future

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by bukatyne(f): 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2021
WoundedLamb:
The same reason blacks are excelling in American universities. As a woman in Africa, you don't have the male privilege, you have to be extra to be regarded in society. Otherwise, you'd end up as a property owned by some man. This alone is enough driving force.

Please specify the parts of Africa?
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by bukatyne(f): 1:39pm On Nov 04, 2021
addictiv:

1. Because women are more brilliant than men on average,

2. secondly boys are under pressure to secure the bag too early these days that they channel their attention to many endeavours instead of focusing on education.

3. However the problem this creates is that in future, we would have a high number of well educated women and a lower number of equally well educated men for them to marry. A lot of these women will be forced to settle for the lower class uneducated men...

4. Judging from the hypergamous nature of the average black woman... Most would rather stay single or become a second wife or baby mama to the few more successful men on the same level or higher..

Interesting post.

1. Do you have any source that states that women are more intelligent all round than men? Or is this a personal observation?

2. I have read this from several posters here. Is this new pressure from the society or peer induced i.e. yahoo yahoo? If anything, the family pressure on boys to provide is reduced and more boys are sponsored by their families/wards in school.

3. True

4. Hypergamy is not a Nigerian word nor concept. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by WoundedLamb: 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2021
bukatyne:

Please specify the parts of Africa?

The parts where a successful woman is normally greeted with "go and marry!" and a single lady who lives alone and drives her own car is something to be wary of.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by WoundedLamb: 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2021
4gunners:
grin grin This your opinion though. Mention one male privilege, as I’m very curious.

Lol... My honest and blunt white friend once asked me "what is this white privilege y'all talk about?". Then it dawned on me that they simply don't see this racial privilege not because it doesn't exist but because they were born into it, so it's just normal.

Have you ever hear the expression "go and marry!"? Well, people like Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic, etc. must have lost count of how many times they've read it. Regardless of their success, the society expects them to have a man to be fully regarded. ​A young man who just got his first job would quickly get his own place and that's OK. When a lady stays alone, people are wary of her. Once there's a divorce, the only line we read on NL "Nigerian women of nowadays can't keep a home". Men cheating is not a big deal because men will always be men. Davido sleeps with different women, he is "OBO!", the women are olosho. All these are minor compared to those that have become systematic like the female child not inheriting properties, etc..

Yes, some women are well respected in society without anyone even caring if they had any husband or not. But like I said, these women had to be extra.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by edoairways: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2021
dasparrow:

Because African society pampers sons to the point that they spoil them so what do people expect? Of course, they will under perform academically.
That is not true
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by edoairways: 2:50pm On Nov 04, 2021
Raydos:
Actually I think separate schools are a good idea, Boys and girls learn differently, Boy would learn more if they work as Interns at workshop/Lab e.t.c rather than sitting in a classroom memorising facts

The current educational system in most countries favours girls. Sitting in one place and learning things like a factory worker doesn't suit boys and it shows

Girls tends to do better than boys in school and boys are more likely to be prescribed medication for hyperactive behaviour/Poor attention

Your fact are not totally correct. Second, no empirical evidence to support this assertion of yours since they are perceived speculations.
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by edoairways: 2:54pm On Nov 04, 2021
9gerian:

Where are the statistical evidence for such assertions?
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by budaatum: 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2021
Randy100:

You deserve a better brain resetting slap. Your papa is learning to be a pig.
Back to the topic, the truth is that the women has the ability to cram and also the ability to retain, that is why they are good with theory. When it comes to practical aspect, they flop. I hope you get the point.

See how stupid you are with your "women have the ability to cram and retain"!

Was giving birth to you not practical? Was nurturing your stupid babyness not practical? Do women cram that too?
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by getnotifys: 3:10pm On Nov 04, 2021
Get New updates here
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by angelfallz(m): 3:18pm On Nov 04, 2021
The bolded,
Lies from the pit of hell!!!

addictiv:
Because women are more brilliant than men on average, secondly boys are under pressure to secure the bag too early these days that they channel their attention to many endeavours instead of focusing on education. However the problem this creates is that in future, we would have a high number of well educated women and a lower number of equally well educated men for them to marry. A lot of these women will be forced to settle for the lower class uneducated men... Judging from the hypergamous nature of the average black woman... Most would rather stay single or become a second wife or baby mama to the few more successful men on the same level or higher..
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by bukatyne(f): 3:19pm On Nov 04, 2021
Raydos:

You are not the first to mention this (even outside this thread).

However, we have always had this educational system (mixed/single gender) which did not affect the performance of boys. Infact, our educational system is now more flexible.

Is there anything different today?
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by angelfallz(m): 3:19pm On Nov 04, 2021
Lies from the pit hell.

[s]
WoundedLamb:
The same reason blacks are excelling in American universities. As a woman in Africa, you don't have the male privilege, you have to be extra to be regarded in society. Otherwise, you'd end up as a property owned by some man. This alone is enough driving force.
[/s]
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by angelfallz(m): 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2021
I feel some people just like to type nonsense just for the sake of it. you are Even trying to engage the person, Some people are just beyond help

bukatyne:

Interesting post.

1. Do you have any source that states that women are more intelligent all round than men? Or is this a personal observation?

2. I have read this from several posters here. Is this new pressure from the society or peer induced i.e. yahoo yahoo? If anything, the family pressure on boys to provide is reduced and more boys are sponsored by their families/wards in school.

3. True

4. Hypergamy is not a Nigerian word nor concept. cheesy

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by 4gunners(m): 3:22pm On Nov 04, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Lol... My honest and blunt white friend once asked me "what is this white privilege y'all talk about?". Then it dawned on me that they simply don't see this racial privilege not because it doesn't exist but because they were born into it, so it's just normal.

Have you ever hear the expression "go and marry!"? Well, people like Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic, etc. must have lost count of how many times they've read it. Regardless of their success, the society expects them to have a man to be fully regarded. ​A young man who just got his first job would quickly get his own place and that's OK. When a lady stays alone, people are wary of her. Once there's a divorce, the only line we read on NL "Nigerian women of nowadays can't keep a home". Men cheating is not a big deal because men will always be men. Davido sleeps with different women, he is "OBO!", the women are olosho. All these are minor compared to those that have become systematic like the female child not inheriting properties, etc..

Yes, some women are well respected in society without anyone even caring if they had any husband or not. But like I said, these women had to be extra.
The points you posited do not really strengthen your argument. Remember, you said the reason female students are doing better in their academics is because they do not enjoy male privileges.

On the contrary, a man can only be regarded in the society only if he is successful. Many young man are not taking their academic routes seriously, cos they feel it’s not promising. Men are even under more pressure to be successful!

Like you said, you won’t appreciate the privilege you enjoy braised you were born into it. You and I know the women privileges - examples abound.
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by bukatyne(f): 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2021
WoundedLamb:

The parts where a successful woman is normally greeted with "go and marry!" and a single lady who lives alone and drives her own car is something to be wary of.

How does your response tie into the OP or even my question to you?

The tread is about boys not doing well in school; you said girls have to do very well else they become properties of men.

You need to pick a side:
If women are generally properties of men, then the men would dictate the level the women can achieve in the first place i.e. having a great education might not even be possible or help her case.

In Nigeria today, most women (apart from the Northerners) are able to choose the lives they want for themselves.
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by bukatyne(f): 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2021
WoundedLamb:

And men are not told to go and marry?

Do you know how many times Don Jazzy has been ridiculed to be gay or impotent?

Don't people same something about everyone?

This victimhood mentality is really sad.
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by budaatum: 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2021
bukatyne:

In Nigeria today, most women (apart from the Northerners) are able to choose the lives they want for themselves.

Hopefully, you know that's because education empowers.

Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Rickmann: 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2021
babasolution:

Omo, dem dey pursue money
Re: Why Are Boys Suddenly Not So Doing Well In Universities These Days by Alusiizizi(m): 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2021
babasolution:

The simple fact of the matter is that men have higher IQ's than women, are more likely to prevail in challenging/novel environments than women, and are definitely not prevailing in "hitherto male dominated courses like engineering and medicine" or in many other fields for that matter. If you are ready to show me even one body of data that show that women are even on par with men intellectually, I am ready to present you with 10. Wish all you want, but what was never there will never appear out of thin air.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Admission Is In Progress (Eastern Mediterranean University ) / ASUU Meeting With Fg To Continue Tomorrow / Seven Coincidence Today That Will Leave You Stunned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.