Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,326 members, 7,822,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? (18911 Views)

British-Nigerian Man Jailed For 28 Years After Shooting Man Over £3.50 Drug Debt / Woman Punched To Death Three Days To Wedding Over N100 Debt (pic) / Uber Driver Nearly Jumps Into Lagoon In Lagos Over N90K Debt. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Jwonder(m): 9:22am On Nov 05, 2021
Dreytonisback:
Listen OP , I'm a deep thinker so I'll educate you about this
Taking a loan without paying is not right but let's face reality and be considerate

This is Nigeria, a country of stubborn headed people and a little more good people
People seek for loans bc they're empty , or for business pruposes but along the way anything can happen

Let's be honest with ourselves no one takes a loan with the zeal of not wanting to pay back else they won't include their real informations

This country makes it hard for almost every Nigerian to achieve and succeed on their plans
You go plan your own finish , naija go help u plan the rest

If you're giving out loan in a country like Nigeria, ensure there's a collateral or you don't give at all bc you're dealing with people who are suffering and smiling
If a Nigerian man or woman doesn't drop a collateral then you're on a long thing bc this country will surely ruin his chances of paying back and also , y'all should be considerate with the interest too and be human for once

For example: you ask me to borrow you 100k and I ask you to drop a collateral worth 200k , and you need the money badly you'll have no choice than to drop it.
Make an agreement on when he can claim that collateral else you'll balance him/or any agreed payment to cover up his lateness to pay bc that collateral will be gone, fair business
You won't be at loss , he won't feel the pain much either

You mustn't send sms and defame someone and tag any human being a thief who ran away with company money when you only borrowed the person 10k to pay 15k
If na you , you go pay happily?

Get collateral and wns of story , naija is bad to live when you're broke
Nobody applies for loan with a happy mind so be fair or don't give at all , collect collateral and stop yelling like Shekau's mom

Lights up my kpoli in peace

I suggest you open your own loan company and let people pay at their convenient time.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by floss(m): 9:23am On Nov 05, 2021
Because Nigerians are not the " Larnistas" that always pay their debt
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Johel(m): 9:23am On Nov 05, 2021
Jwonder:
There's been a rise of Nigerians defaulting on Loans and coming online to form victims.
Why would you take a loan you have no plans of paying back?
This Loan companies don't collect collateral, so how else do expect them to recover their money if they don't harras you?

Just go through this thread and see how wicked humans are.
https://www.nairaland.com/6835279/loan-app-agent-keeps-blackmailing
They all forget this loan company is somebody's investment with staff to pay.
If everyone keeps defaulting on the loan won't they run out of business?

WHY ARE WE NEVER STRAIGHTFORWARD AS NIGERIANS?
I urge the CBN/ FG to start blocking the BVN and bank accounts attached to the BVN of loan defaulters, this will reduce the trend of evil people taking loans and refusing to pay.

I'm not in the queue...I don't owe debts...some loan apps give me VIP offer because I pay up swiftly...90% Nigerians,are thieves,greedy,cunning,and chronic liars.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Jwonder(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2021
bamdly:

OK if yall can't be reasonable what is now ur gain if ur debtor commit suicide

What is the debtors gain is I can't pay my staffs?
Will they work for free? Won't they also commit suicide?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by thewritingtodo(m): 9:26am On Nov 05, 2021
CryptoClub2018:

You people are foolish as I have said and most especially you. Which foolish T & C. The one you all copy from one foolish Chinese company and all made a standard for your selfish selfs. Lazy thieves, if you know how to run a business, run a proper business and see if you can grow and not the money you inherited from your late father or mother using for a lazy business reaping where you did not sow. Ole. Lazy fools. People already know you and it's viral so people will continue to default and you can do nothing. Some don't care if you blackmail them or not since you loan companies have decided to be mad, let everyone be mad. Lazy people, go and run a proper business and see what it looks like. Miserable people. You are talking about t&c, can you collect that kind of loan with such interest rate within a short time if you don't have an issue? 7 days? You people are mad
Bro you have said it all.. cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by jaxxy(m): 9:28am On Nov 05, 2021
Jwonder:

Nigerians and victim mentality.
If you aren't comfortable with the loan T&C why then did you accept it?

People will always fall victim to sharks. Ask Nigeria why they are collecting China’s loans and still looking for more to borrow. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:29am On Nov 05, 2021
Ifesinachi22:
Everyone will create a topic on top this guy head.

Who no dey borrow?

But why borrow and not pay?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Kobicove(m): 9:29am On Nov 05, 2021
Skmoda360:
It's a question for another day....

No we must answer it today.

The reason is that an average Nigerian is inherently dishonest!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Jimtop001(m): 9:30am On Nov 05, 2021
1Alex:
Oga op, money no dey. A lot of people would want to make a repayment but money no dey. Those loan sharks should allow the option of paying back in convenient installments.
As if the money they gave you, they plucked it from a tree behind their house... Why will you say you will pay in 3 months time and 1 year have passed you are now angry they are asking for their money??! This is terrible! Deceit upon deceit. People who act like that don't prosper

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by AlexanderOkey: 9:30am On Nov 05, 2021
Although some Nigerians don't like paying out of pure deceit that is not always the case.

When you have a failing economy, an economy growing backwards, loan default is only a ripple effect as people will borrow and invest in projects but those projects will likely fail because of the state of the Economy.

Even in the US, when there is a recession or economic downturn, loan default rate rises. The only difference is their government steps in to bail them out unlike Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Jimtop001(m): 9:31am On Nov 05, 2021
1Alex:
Oga op, money no dey. A lot of people would want to make a repayment but money no dey. Those loan sharks should allow the option of paying back in convenient installments.
Shebi they will come back to ask for another one?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by KashApp: 9:32am On Nov 05, 2021
Jwonder:

This is definitely a different issue from what is been discussed, your friend should have taken it up with the relevant agencies.
Email CBN and also copy the loan company, they will surely refund the extra deduction.

And you story doesn't justify people taking loans and refusing to pay.
You mean the same CBN? grin so CBN will leave more important issues to be attending to 8k extra deduction? Anyway, all I know is that, the loan apps except Branch, Aella and Fair money, the rest are theives just like the defaulters. Ole gbe, Ole gba (if u understand Yoruba).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:32am On Nov 05, 2021
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Dreytonisback(m): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2021
Jwonder:

I suggest you open your own loan company and let people pay at their convenient time.

You're not a deep thinker so I'll not judge u
If only you read all I said then you wouldn't have fvcked urself up by replying me disrespectfully , I no be ur mate o
Warn urself

Lights up my kpoli in peace

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:35am On Nov 05, 2021
FalseProphet1:
Our honourable president Buhari has been borrowing with reckless abandon without any hope of paying back, no one is sanctioning him, not even the senate.

Our politicians and rich men take huge loans from banks and end up not paying them back, this has led to the liquidation of several banks and collapse of businesses in Nigeria.

Friends and families will come crying out their eyes to borrow money from you and once you give them, they would immediately stop picking your calls, if you call them with another number, they will pick once they know you're the one they'll look for an excuse to end the call with the promise of calling you back but they won't.

Conclusion. most Nigerians are dishonest in nature, from the head (Buhari) to the least man on the street is corrupt, that's why I pity loan companies operating in Nigeria cos they'll end up writing more 60% of their loan as bad debt until they eventually fold up.

This I have seen.

1. You are dishonest to start with...
2. Nigeria is not only currently repaying its debt, it has not defaulted in their loan repayments either to the Chinese or other lenders. Evidence from the DMO.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by edoairways: 9:41am On Nov 05, 2021
airsaylongcome:
All over the world, people default on Loans. These go into Collections where professional debt collectors retrieve the loans with interest and cost of collections. Don't make it sound like Nigerians are the only ones that default or that we have the highest default rates.

Majority think it is free money. They have poor mindset towards public things
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:42am On Nov 05, 2021
tyup:
Financial philosophy according to Plato and Rene Descartes says "Only borrow what you can afford to loose". stay sane

Loaning App was never meant to have launched in Nigeria, Infact it's not for Nigerians. but poor Cost Benefit Analysis put em in this mess they are in rn

1. I agree with you to a large extent..
2. Nigerians in these categories are worrisome. There seems to be a sense of entitlement mentality, wherein when loan is obtained, they switch to the mode of not wanting to pay back, not respecting payment terms, wanting to extend payment period for as long as possible....
3. Loan companies are also at fault. They do not do their due diligence. You send marketers out, who start worrying people on social media to come take loan and voila! in 5minutes loan is approved.
4. Who in his or her right senses gives loans to faceless people? If you check with counterparts in West and China, there are artificial intelligent systems that leverages gazillion of data about customers, buying patterns, earning, lifestyle, previous loans, connections etc. Algorithms are built to combine these factors and predict your potential to default. The system then profile and recommends.
5. Even with the above stated, they are still careful to include human risk managers to make additional informed decision.
6. I think our loan app coys, rushed to market seeing what is obtainable in advanced countries without doing the work required to build the system

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:43am On Nov 05, 2021
1Alex:

so that they can run out of business shey?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by peacebirdone: 9:48am On Nov 05, 2021
If they have the money they usually would pay. So why don't they have the money should be the question. You say job no dey, but we eat down the few businesses people open.

We generally don't respect people, respecting people is not about kneeling or bowing, respect is about having regards for their existence, their time and experience.

This is my submission
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by mapet: 9:52am On Nov 05, 2021
Coldie:

I borrow my own guy money someone that makes more money than me, pay me back he is demanding to check my bank statements first to know if I don’t have money. I just acted like I have forgotten about the money the shameless fool still get mind dae tell me to help am buy sth that he would pay me later, I refused.

Next thing he started telling people am stingy

Some "caustic friends" play the emotional card to control their friends. You better disconnect from that person... he's better at best a distant acquaintance

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by sapientia(m): 9:54am On Nov 05, 2021
Cos there is no money

They borrowed to survive first

Some wanted to pay

Some might be luck

Buhari also happened to some
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by adonainana: 10:00am On Nov 05, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
Don't blame the borrowers.

Blame the Loan companies that are stupid enough to lend them money in the first place.

What planet do the Loan companies live in?

/

Bro I keep saying this

Poverty capital of the world you brought millions of dollars

You no buy land in Ikoyi and sell at times 5 of the price after building flats on it

You no build hotels

You no build filling stations

It’s unsecured loans you started using your millions of dollars to do for Nigerians

Even you are not lending to Nigerian banks cos some Nigerian banks do ask for it especially mfb

Na people wey no get job and someone who hasn’t eaten in like 3 days you are asking he should come and collect 15k through an app and pay back 25k in 7 days loool meaooo

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by gdbelt(m): 10:02am On Nov 05, 2021
This loan sharks are bad ass with very wicked interest rate to further impoverish their client with shortest repayment plan, shame on them all....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by assent: 10:05am On Nov 05, 2021
Jwonder:

Mr. Loan defaulter, why do you keep taking loans when you have no plans to payback? Doesn't that make you a thief?

Mr loan company, why do you prefer criminality to recover your loan?

Are you naturally criminally minded?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by olaztek(m): 10:06am On Nov 05, 2021
I love my religion Islam. The problem of loan default can be extremely minimized If only we can adopt Islamic banking.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Lifestone(m): 10:22am On Nov 05, 2021
airsaylongcome:

So my response wasn't about that particular case, but a response to general cases of loan defaulting. Specifically for his case he is in the wrong to claim that he won't pay the interest. He is contractually indebted to do so.

However how about the loan company that lied claiming the defaulter put his contact as guarantors? And that they were going to hold the contact responsible for the loan? How lowball is that?
Don't judge the loan company untill you see the terms and conditions of the Loan. Although it's doubtful if contact can provide guarantee without express consent. It's probably a plot to further harassed the chronic debtor
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Bakerdav: 10:24am On Nov 05, 2021
Cr0nus1:
his a notorious Scammer beware don't say you were not told
CC Dominique seun mynd44 lalasticlala
lol,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by sanpipita(m): 10:26am On Nov 05, 2021
It's a disgusting behavior, sometimes I wonder why Nigerians are like that, people will borrow money and make no efforts to pay

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Paying Their Debt? by Nostring: 10:27am On Nov 05, 2021
Boogyman557:
HOLLY GRAM cool OP THUNDER WEY GO FIRE U STILL DE SMOKE KUSH.. MOST OF DOES USELESS APP WILL SEND MESSAGES TO ALL UR CONTACT AND CALLS. TAGGING U AS A CRIMINAL. EVEN IF NA 2DAYS REMAIN 4 U TO PAY.. E GET ANY COUNTRY WEY NO DE BORROW MONEY. AFTER U DON CAST PERSON NAME 4 ALL EM CONTACT AND CUS D PERSON DAMAGE AND U WANT MAKE PERSON PAY INTEREST. OP NA THUNDER GO FIRE U . WTF MAN
Goan pay the money u dey owe...onigbese ,onijibiti

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Arrested For Collecting N28m From A Lady For Powerful Prayers / Suspected Child Kidnapper Apprehended In Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State. / Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.