Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Should A Christian Meditate? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Meditate? (483 Views)

Should Christian Meditate? / As A Christian, Is Court Wedding In Place Of Church Wedding Acceptable By God? / Benevolent Muslims In The House! A Christian Needs To Eat Sallah Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Meditate? by upxtea01: 3:21pm On Nov 06, 2021
So many Christian think meditation is only for the Buddha monks in Asia but they are greatly mistaken and also missing out of the great packed benefits of meditation.

Meditation had been since the days of our father Abraham, it has been in the history of Christians passed on to generations.
Meditation was mentioned so many times in the Bible, i will show you in my next video some bible passages where God had told us to meditate day and night.

Christians don't meditate the way the monks do, we meditate on the word of God and i bet you, filling your mind with the word of God will illuminate your destiny and you will start shining like the shining stars.

Watch the video below and you will see the reason why Christians should meditate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opE028yzpN8
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2021
It was written that we should always meditate nd pray
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by illicit(m): 3:30pm On Nov 06, 2021
Yes
Even Jesus meditated

Pls help me like this post here

https://www.nairaland.com/6837037/20-giveaway-closes-5p.m-uk#107374895
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by hisgrace090: 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
upxtea01:
So many Christian think meditation is only for the Buddha monks in Asia but they are greatly mistaken and also missing out of the great packed benefits of meditation.

Meditation had been since the days of our father Abraham, it has been in the history of Christians passed on to generations.
Meditation was mentioned so many times in the Bible, i will show you in my next video some bible passages where God had told us to meditate day and night.

Christians don't meditate the way the monks do, we meditate on the word of God and i bet you, filling your mind with the word of God will illuminate your destiny and you will start shining like the shining stars.

Watch the video below and you will see the reason why Christians should meditate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opE028yzpN8

Tell us how to meditate cause not everyone is aware.
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2021
illicit:
Yes
Even Jesus meditated
Jesus meditated? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2021
Englandboy:
It was written that we should always meditate nd pray
Na the one wey Jesus Christ no command, na him una go rush go do. Did Jesus Christ, the one who is God's New Covenant, ask/instruct you to meditate? undecided

Instead He said you should use the understanding you have promising that only then will more understanding be given to you - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by illicit(m): 4:00pm On Nov 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus meditated? undecided
Pls help me like this post on the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/6837037/20-giveaway-closes-5p.m-uk#107374895

Yes, sometimes he left his disciples
He goes to be alone
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Nov 06, 2021
illicit:
Yes, sometimes he left his disciples
He goes to be alone
Being alone with God is same as meditating? You don't even know what meditating is, particularly in the Buddhist context, do you? undecided

Meditation is a practice derived from Hinduism and Buddhism. The goal of meditation is to focus and understand your mind—eventually reaching a higher level of awareness and inner calm. Meditation is an ancient practice, but scientists are still discovering all of its benefits. Regular meditation can help you to control your emotions, enhance your concentration, decrease stress, and even become more connected to those around you.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Meditate%3famp=1
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by illicit(m): 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Being alone with God is same as meditating? You don't even know what meditating is, particularly in the Buddhist context, do you? undecided
Have u like my post?
Pls do

Why will he want to be alone undisturbed?

Like u said he went to be with God, ain't that meditation?
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
illicit:

Have u like my post?
Pls do

Why will he want to be alone undisturbed?

Like u said he went to be with God, ain't that meditation?
Being alone or being with God has nothing to do with meditation since when you are with God you are not alone but instead talking to God. When meditating you are consulting your self for answers instead. undecided

Meditation is a practice derived from Hinduism and Buddhism. The goal of meditation is to focus and understand your mind—eventually reaching a higher level of awareness and inner calm. Meditation is an ancient practice, but scientists are still discovering all of its benefits. Regular meditation can help you to control your emotions, enhance your concentration, decrease stress, and even become more connected to those around you.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Meditate%3famp=1
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by illicit(m): 4:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Being alone or being with God has nothing to do with meditation since when you are with God you are not alone but instead talking to God. When meditating you are consulting your self for answers instead. undecided

Oh seems I am mistaken
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:

But God told Joshua to meditate undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Nov 06, 2021
Ayo081:
But God told Joshua to meditate undecided
Indeed God did, and we all know how men even then took it upon themselves to "meditate" their way into conjuring up and even replacing God's Law with their own doctrines and traditions. undecided

God didn't tell us, in Jesus Christ, to do what He told those of the Old Covenant to do. In the New Covenant, we are simply instructed to use the understanding we have in order to receive more from God where those who don't will have even the little they have taken away from them - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 11:20pm On Nov 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Indeed God did, and we all know how men even then took it upon themselves to "meditate" their way into conjuring up and even replacing God's Law with their own doctrines and traditions. undecided

God didn't tell us, in Jesus Christ, to do what He told those of the Old Covenant to do. In the New Covenant, we are simply instructed to use the understanding we have in order to receive more from God where those who don't will have even the little they have taken away from them - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17

I wonder what comprises of the things that makes the heart lol a good soil if meditation (thinking about the word for more insight and understanding) is missing then. Mathew 13:8

undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Nov 06, 2021
Ayo081:
I wonder what comprises of the things that makes the heart lol a good soil if meditation (thinking about the word for more insight and understanding) is missing then. Mathew 13:8 undecided
Meditation is closer in meaning to the word "brainstorming" than it is simply thinking about the Word of God. undecided

The heart of man, as God said in Jeremiah 17 vs 9- 10 is full of evil and so not "good" soil at all. It is not at all to be trusted - the message "lean not on your own understanding" comes to mind.undecided

We are not meant to preprocess/brainstorm or meditate on the Word of God but are instructed to begin putting to use the basic understanding we are given of it, this by Jesus Christ, if more insight/understanding is what we seek. undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 1:59am On Nov 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Meditation is closer in meaning to the word "brainstorming" than it is simply thinking about the Word of God. undecided

The heart of man, as God said in Jeremiah 17 vs 9- 10 is full of evil and so not "good" soil at all. It is not at all to be trusted - the message "lean not on your own understanding" comes to mind.undecided

We are not meant to preprocess/brainstorm or meditate on the Word of God but are instructed to begin putting to use the basic understanding we are given of it, this by Jesus Christ, if more insight/understanding is what we seek. undecided

What about those who doesn't understand the message or the understanding run out of their earth quickly? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 2:50am On Nov 07, 2021
Ayo081:
What about those who doesn't understand the message or the understanding run out of their earth quickly? undecided
A lot of times, we totally ignore the fact that Jesus Christ taught this same message to poor uneducated laymen, fishermen and lepers even, back over 2000 years ago. In our educated minds, we pretend we know more than Jesus Christ Himself thinking we have to reprocess everything he said not realizing we taint His message by doing just that. undecided

Everyone out there already has understanding given to them as far as the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ is concerned - we are all equipped with basic human language comprehension abilities from a very young age. Jesus Christ said those who are His friends are those who do as He says, so those who wish to be His friends will simply do as He says. undecided

Consider the first time Jesus Christ walked up to His disciples, and what He said to them was, “Come, follow me, and I will make you a different kind of fishermen. You will bring in people, not fish.”. Those fishermen heard Him say, "Come, follow me, and I will make you a different kind of fishermen. You will bring in people, not fish.”. They didn't first meditate to figure out why they would care to bring in men instead of fishes. They didn't know who Jesus Christ really was at that point in time. And they didn't ask Him to first prove Himself to them. No, they heard what He said, and obeyed Him - they followed Him. And because of their continued obedience, these men learned over years after that, the secrets of the Kingdom of God. undecided

It is the same for us. We don't have to first have it all figured out if indeed we are interested in learning His Truth. We need to trust and obey Him and as we continue to do so, more will be revealed. That is what Jesus Christ teaches in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 undecided

Those who don't understand at all have no business chasing after that which they have no understanding of, none whatsoever. Jesus Christ is only for those who are ready and willing to trust Him and Him alone as Teacher and guide... anyone who comes believing in men as teacher and guide is nothing but fodder for the evil one. undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by orisa37: 6:07am On Nov 07, 2021
Yes. It's The Way The Truth and The Life.
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 7:46am On Nov 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A lot of times, we totally ignore the fact that Jesus Christ taught this same message to poor uneducated laymen, fishermen and lepers even, back over 2000 years ago. In our educated minds, we pretend we know more than Jesus Christ Himself thinking we have to reprocess everything he said not realizing we taint His message by doing just that. undecided

Everyone out there already has understanding given to them as far as the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ is concerned - we are all equipped with basic human language comprehension abilities from a very young age. Jesus Christ said those who are His friends are those who do as He says, so those who wish to be His friends will simply do as He says. undecided

Consider the first time Jesus Christ walked up to His disciples, and what He said to them was, “Come, follow me, and I will make you a different kind of fishermen. You will bring in people, not fish.”. Those fishermen heard Him say, "Come, follow me, and I will make you a different kind of fishermen. You will bring in people, not fish.”. They didn't first meditate to figure out why they would care to bring in men instead of fishes. They didn't know who Jesus Christ really was at that point in time. And they didn't ask Him to first prove Himself to them. No, they heard what He said, and obeyed Him - they followed Him. And because of their continued obedience, these men learned over years after that, the secrets of the Kingdom of God. undecided

It is the same for us. We don't have to first have it all figured out if indeed we are interested in learning His Truth. We need to trust and obey Him and as we continue to do so, more will be revealed. That is what Jesus Christ teaches in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 undecided

Those who don't understand at all have no business chasing after that which they have no understanding of, none whatsoever. Jesus Christ is only for those who are ready and willing to trust Him and Him alone as Teacher and guide... anyone who comes believing in men as teacher and guide is nothing but fodder for the evil one. undecided

Sincerely, I stopped here:

Kobojunkie:

A lot of times, we totally ignore the fact that Jesus Christ taught this same message to poor uneducated laymen, fishermen and lepers even, back over 2000 years ago.

Didn't those teaching sounds just like parables to all of them? undecided

And the disciples had to go privately to ask Christ meanings? undecided

The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

Matthew 13:10 NIV

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

Matthew 13:11 NIV

You should now agree that many followed Christ (just like today) but didn't understand him undecided

Maybe because of miracles, but far greater than miracles was His message undecided

The disciples also had it though undecided

They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”

John 16:18 NIV
undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 8:31am On Nov 07, 2021
Ayo081:

Sincerely, I stopped here:
Didn't those teaching sounds just like parables to all of them? undecided
And the disciples had to go privately to ask Christ meanings? undecided
You should now agree that many followed Christ (just like today) but didn't understand him undecided
Maybe because of miracles, but far greater than miracles was His message undecided
The disciples also had it though undecided
undecided
Parables are stories or analogies Jesus Christ used in teaching the people and if I were to guess I would say Jesus Christ employed the use of parables less than less them less than 50 % of the times. So even if we are to assume the meaning of parables were indeed hidden, as expressed in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17, still nothing stops anyone from moving forward with obeying the teachings which He taught in plain speak to all. undecided

Sure, He taught His disciples privately but if they had not submitted and obeyed that which He spoke plainly to them, would they have become His disciples in the first place? Anyone who refuses to obey the commands which Jesus Christ spoke plainly to all His followers, is not worthy of Jesus Christ and surely such a one is not worthy of knowing the secret of the Kingdom of God. undecided

The disciples weren't the only ones who saw the Miracles though however they were the ones who chose to first obey Him. No one starts off understanding it all and no one really understands it all. That is why we are asked to use the understanding we have so that more will be given us when we do in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17. The goal shouldn't be to first grasp it all before you trust and Obey. Instead you trust and Obey, and then you get more understanding given to you. undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 8:48am On Nov 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Parables are stories or analogies Jesus Christ used in teaching the people and if I were to guess I would say Jesus Christ employed the use of parables less than less them less than 50 % of the times. So even if we are to assume the meaning of parables were indeed hidden, as expressed in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17, still nothing stops anyone from moving forward with obeying the teachings which He taught in plain speak to all. undecided

Sure, He taught His disciples privately but if they had not submitted and obeyed that which He spoke plainly to them, would they have become His disciples in the first place? Anyone who refuses to obey the commands which Jesus Christ spoke plainly to all His followers, is not worthy of Jesus Christ and surely such a one is not worthy of knowing the secret of the Kingdom of God. undecided

The disciples weren't the only ones who saw the Miracles though however they were the ones who chose to first obey Him. No one starts off understanding it all and no one really understands it all. That is why we are asked to use the understanding we have so that more will be given us when we do in Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17. The goal shouldn't be to first grasp it all before you trust and Obey. Instead you trust and Obey, and then you get more understanding given to you. undecided

I agree undecided

But why did Jesus teach Mathew 13? Why did God ask the Israelites to keep his word and commandments in their heart? undecided

Not going too far, agreed we don't getting it all at once. But how do get more understanding?

Below is the meaning of meditation from my dictionary.

(intransitive) To contemplate; to keep the mind fixed upon something; to study.

(intransitive) To sit or lie down and come to a deep rest while still remaining conscious.

(transitive) To consider; to reflect on.

Call it whatever, but if it's done to get more insight and understanding of the 'word' then it's no biggie undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Kobojunkie: 8:59am On Nov 07, 2021
Ayo081:

I agree undecided
1. But why did Jesus teach Mathew 13?
2. Why did God ask the Israelites to keep his word and commandments in their heart? undecided
Not going too far, agreed we don't getting it all at once.
3. But how do get more understanding?
4. Below is the meaning of meditation from my dictionary.
Call it whatever, but if it's done to get more insight and understanding of the 'word' then it's no biggie undecided
1. Simple answer, Jesus Christ taught Matthew 13 for the benefit of those who prove themselves worthy of Him, those who the secret of the Kingdom will be made know to.. undecided

2. Read what Jesus Christ taught in Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 about that which causes us to sin. undecided

3. USE THE UNDERSTANDING YOU HAVE AND YOU WILL GET MORE; ELSE EVEN THE LITTLE UNDERSTANDING YOU HAD WILL BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU - Matthew 13 vs 13 & Mark 4 vs 21 - 25 " Matthew 25 vs 29 undecided

4. You are free to follow the dictionary meaning rater than obey Jesus Christ's instructions as far as how to gain more understanding/insight where His Kingdom is concerned. It's your choice. undecided
Re: Should A Christian Meditate? by Ayo081(m): 9:59am On Nov 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Simple answer, Jesus Christ taught Matthew 13 for the benefit of those who prove themselves worthy of Him, those who the secret of the Kingdom will be made know to.. undecided

2. Read what Jesus Christ taught in Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 about that which causes us to sin. undecided

3. USE THE UNDERSTANDING YOU HAVE AND YOU WILL GET MORE; ELSE EVEN THE LITTLE UNDERSTANDING YOU HAD WILL BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU - Matthew 13 vs 13 & Mark 4 vs 21 - 25 " Matthew 25 vs 29 undecided

4. You are free to follow the dictionary meaning rater than obey Jesus Christ's instructions as far as how to gain more understanding/insight where His Kingdom is concerned. It's your choice. undecided
Not following the dictionary undecided

Only showing you meditation is not only of Budha or something. undecided

How do you use your understanding to get more, if not by reflecting? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Praying Through Mary Is Biblical And A Faster Means / What Is The Finger Of God? / Pastor Supporting Yahoo Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.