Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,127 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 (10275 Views)

APC, Anti-corruption And Freedom Of Information Act / Freedom Of Information Act Is Not Applicable In Lagos –lagos State Govt. / The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by AjanleKoko: 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2011
Like Soyinka said recently, it would not be a bad thing to test this new law by asking that the government provide full disclosure on the matter of Umaru Yar'Adua's illness and subsequent death, and the circumstances that occured as a result of these events.

Hope some radical lawyers are reading this grin
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by trimiz: 3:26am On Aug 15, 2011
The very best
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by tefund(m): 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2011
One giant step
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by tosfat: 1:55pm On Sep 04, 2011
The non-oil export business is still at its primitive stage in Nigeria with a high potential for growth. The market still needs more Nigerians to explore it, especially Agricultural commodities. But, before you can start earning in this market, there are some preparation you should make. To learn more about this business, go to: www.tosfatconcepts..com.

Thank you.
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by ojofu(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2011
Can i invoke this law to demand for my transcript?. I went to my school to collect my transcript but they told me that, they cannot give it me but would me mail it to any school i wish to go.
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by james1(m): 6:22pm On Sep 21, 2011
Hello house.
A great start!we will get there.
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by ojdollars(m): 9:55pm On Sep 21, 2011
My people of NL. Is there anyone out there that knows how I can delete my account from Nairaland? I have tried but not successful. Please if you have any info, let me know please. Thank you.
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by Osedidi(m): 10:59pm On Sep 28, 2011
nice one, very educational
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by chucks1: 3:41am On Sep 29, 2011
believe it or not

new and uncensored
visit

www.blogafrican..com
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by merryzic: 10:46am On Nov 08, 2011
Dis is 1daful, am on ♍ way 2 get an informat 4rm PHCN
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by kevinc: 6:51am On Dec 01, 2011
Thumps up.
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by owenueme: 12:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
This FOI Bill no bi for mouth? When we go see am work sef?
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by ud4u: 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2011
Thats good
Re: A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 by Orikinla(m): 8:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
Landmark Ruling On Application of Freedom of Information Act

In 2012 the Progressive Shareholders Association of Nigeria, represented by its president, Boniface Okezie, wrote to the Central Bank requesting information relating to the recovery of Oceanic International Bank Plc's assets. The letter, written by Okezie's solicitor and dated January 26 2012, requested the following information:

the cost so far to the Central Bank, the government and the Nigerian people of the banking reforms instituted by the Central Bank, and particularly the amount of legal fees and other fees paid and to be paid to professionals and professional bodies;
how much of the amount mentioned above represented fees paid and to be paid to Olaniwun Ajayi LP and Kola Awodein & Co. These two law firms dominated representation of the Central Bank and its related bodies in the litigations triggered by the reforms. These same firms were engaged by the Central Bank in other capacities, including as advisers to the five banks in which the Central Bank had intervened and as consultants to the Central Bank and other related bodies, and also for the criminal prosecution of the former executives of the five affected banks;
the total sum paid to Olaniwun Ajayi LP in respect of the prosecution of Cecilia Ibru, former managing director of Oceanic Bank Plc, and the proportion of this sum that was in the form of commissions on the properties recovered from her; and
the total cash and value of properties recovered from Ibru, the whereabouts of the recovered assets and what proportion of these assets had been returned to Oceanic Bank and/or its shareholders.

The basis for the above requests was that taxpayers' money was being used for the prosecution of the banks' chiefs and the reform process. The association also believed the entire reform process to be a drain on the economy, benefiting only a few.

When the Central Bank refused to disclose the information requested by the association, a suit was instituted against it under the Freedom of Information Act. The association requested the court to compel the bank to publish its handling of approximately N191 billion's worth of assets forfeited by Ibru.
- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2013/07/landmark-ruling-on-application-of.html#sthash.SUUnnivc.dpuf

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soldiers Have Blocked Off Access To Gani Fawehinmi Park, Ojota. / Happy Democracy Day! / $1m Bribe Allegation: Ondo REC Threatens To Sue Jimoh Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.