Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: (1105 Views)

How Open Should One Be In Marriage? / Marriege Mismatch (90 Year Old Man Vs 24 Yrs Old Girl) / How to Ask Your Girlfriend's Parents For Her Hand in Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by adeniyidru(m): 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2007
hi folks,some-one should pls help answer this correctly. am heading towards marrying a beautiful young girl i so much,but we both have different religious background/upbringing.actually when i meet her as a Muslim i agreed and promised  to marry her all because she OK to the standard I've set to find in any lady who will be my wife.
The problem now is coming from her parents as we are proposing to do proper introduction/engagement and all that basic levels. the parents disagree that all because i am a Christan but they are confused about what to do,because they really appreciate am a good young man OK for their daughter but don't know what to do. At this stage,i also am confused even tired cos i don't want the issue stressing my relationship and i tried asking my wife to be about this case but she reply that they the parents have no choice,afterall they will want to give her what she wants.there's nothing odd if not this issue of religion,please i need explained opinions on this help me out,thanks.
Re: Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by omoh4real(m): 7:07pm On Jul 25, 2007
Bros, just be prayerfull about it if she is your wife God will touch the heart of her parents, theres nothing to worry about just be prayerfull Almighty God will leed you through. cool cool cool
Re: Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by adeniyidru(m): 11:29am On Jul 26, 2007
thanks omoh4real, as of now proposed plans are still under-way,only that pressure is now coming on my lady from her sister and brothers that whats the assurance that she will not join in to worship with her husband to be. what they--the parents are now trying to conclude now is that after giving me a child,she comes back home to continue in Islam,well am a little bit disturb by this thou i don't argue with them,but am waiting to hear my spouse response to that.thanks pls hheellpp.
Re: Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by olanajim(m): 8:18pm On Jul 26, 2007
Religion is a very sensitive issue that may create a chasm in relationship at any level. The choice however is for the couple to make at the onset. Love alone can't answer the knotty question raised by the difference in faith. Somebody must eventually let go of his or her faith before harmony can be established. People who plunge into marriage without pondering on thorny issue of who let go of his faith and how they would cope with the expected conflicts.

For instance, what would be the religion of the children, their identity etc. In most cases the man had the last say since he is the head of the family. Problems however may arise in future should the woman decide to go strong in her original faith (or revert if she had been converted). It is at this junction that the two would realize what a great error they have committed by ignoring the early signal.

Sentiment apart, it is a great gamble to go into marriage with someone in opposing religion especially Islam and christainity. That is why, I suppose, parent are always reluctant to bless such union. Men do not care who they marry and what faith because, in the end, they have the last say. A women of extra ordinary faith and persuasive skill can however, suceed in turning the heart of a man with little or no conviction about his faith. Such women are rare, so to say.

The bottomline is that couple must think deeply before dating person from opposing faith. They don't normally work IN THEIR BEST INTEREST. Somebody must be sacrificed for peace to reign.

When the woman happen to be a staunch muslim, trouble looms. Why? Two reasons can be cited:
1, it is considered an abomination by muslims for their women to marry non muslims;
2, muslims exhibit peculiar character after practicing for numbers of years, especially from birth. No matter how long they are away from the religion, their minds tend to return back to their faith at a later stage in life.

So be careful.
Re: Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by adeniyidru(m): 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2007
thanks olanajim,your response suit my case so much,is like you have the idea of what am going thru. now.
Well i need your prayers brothers in christ as the lady am involve in with now even persuade me to lie to her parents that am a muslim or once a muslim to ease pressure,pls help with prayer.bye.
Re: Mismatch On Religion/belief In Marriage: by olanajim(m): 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2007
Certainly, prayers can move mountain. Nothing is impossible. Our greatest fear sometimes may turn out to be daydream. So, keep praying.

In as much as you have the lady's support, you would eventually have your way. I strongly object to your lying to your in-laws about your faith. At any rate, they already know you are not a muslim. You can only conceal the intensity of your faith. Lying would dent your integrity before them and MAY complicate matter after the wedding.

Don't lie. Keep your eyes upon the goal. Pray, not just for the wedding to hold, but also for marrital bliss and understanding between you and your partner. She alone can make the marriage hold.

I would have love to add more but, for now prayer is what you needed.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Adivice Me B4 I Do Something Stupid. / I Have Some Things I Want To Give Out -abuja / Types Of Husbands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.