Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos (14108 Views)

FCT Police Arrest Suspected Armed Robbers And Impersonators (Photos) / Anambra State COVID-19 Agency Impersonators Arrested (Pictures) / Aisha Buhari, Osinbajo’s Impersonators Arrested In Edo (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by Jamesbiodun(m): 11:30am On Nov 11, 2021
108 Ogini seriously this country get as hin be ooo
Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by RotrEmmanuel: 1:20pm On Nov 11, 2021
Pacesetter123:
Well,I am surprised they said Merchant Navy is an illegal Organization.But from a little I know, this people have a well recognized physical offices all over the coastal States of Nigeria.Go to Uyo, Calabar,PH,etc you will see their offices well operational without hindrances from govt.
Also, institutions like Maritime Academy of Nigeria,Oron,AKS trains and passed out thousands of this people ( Merchant Navy) every year.I visited the school sometimes ago when my junior brother was schooling there.The students are well kitted with full military regalia (Naval) with ranks and are regimented.And they attend any of their colleagues' events or govt. functions outside their school with this full military uniforms.Why haven't they been arrested.For your information,those Merchant Navy in Maritime are being trained by Nigeria Navy Officials.
Also, you cannot work as a ship sailor without being properly regimented Naval-wise.Take note that airplane pilots, engineers and some specific unit in the civil aviation also uses some Air Force insignia officially and identify themselves anywhere as Airmen without being arrested as Air Force personels impersonators.
So me think, it's the illegality of the training location that makes the police term it illegal organization and not the Organization itself.
It's the opinion of a layman in Maritime sector though,so I may be correct and I may also be wrong.
Merchant Navy personnel are not allowed to use combat military gears of any kind. If your brother had used in the past it means he does that illegally. Even at maritime academy Oron, those on training are always warned not to do so outside the school environment. Please make proper research instead of mixing the whole gist up. Camouflage is strictly for military use

We know the merchant Navy guys also work at sea, but that doesn't make them MILITARY personnel. Its just like saying that commercial Air pilots should use Camouflage or same uniform with the Nigerian Air Force. It's not so sir.

Na merchant Navy dey sail commercial ships like ferries, passenger boats, cruise ships, Container vessels,etc
They can never near any military War ship unless during tourism visits or excursions. Though, sometimes the help in piloting ships along the channels based on international maritime laws.

Just like commercial Air pilots d manage business trips like that of ABC airline, etc.

Nigerians like do pass their boundary and it's affecting the whole system.

Just as we have Driving school on Land
We have Merchant Navy Schools that teaches people how to sail ships

Same as Aviation schools. Go and make your research please and leave regimentation for the Military that owns it. Thank you

Note: The uniform of the Nigerian airforce and that of the pilots in Nigerian Aviation Industry is not the same. Please check well

Nigerian Port authority personnel (merchant Navy) uses something similar uniform to that of the Nigerian Navy but it's not the same Please. The people working in these areas know these differences and the genuine ones will always maintain their own lane.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by Ayo8(m): 5:23pm On Nov 11, 2021
Federal Government had outlawed the Nigerian Merchant Navy

This is laughable...
Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by Guzx: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2021
Oh
Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by planetx: 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2021
Another phantom organization like the peace corps.
Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by Pacesetter123(m): 12:05am On Nov 12, 2021
RotrEmmanuel:
Merchant Navy personnel are not allowed to use combat military gears of any kind. If your brother had used in the past it means he does that illegally. Even at maritime academy Oron, those on training are always warned not to do so outside the school environment. Please make proper research instead of mixing the whole gist up. Camouflage is strictly for military use

We know the merchant Navy guys also work at sea, but that doesn't make them MILITARY personnel. Its just like saying that commercial Air pilots should use Camouflage or same uniform with the Nigerian Air Force. It's not so sir.

Na merchant Navy dey sail commercial ships like ferries, passenger boats, cruise ships, Container vessels,etc
They can never near any military War ship unless during tourism visits or excursions. Though, sometimes the help in piloting ships along the channels based on international maritime laws.

Just like commercial Air pilots d manage business trips like that of ABC airline, etc.

Nigerians like do pass their boundary and it's affecting the whole system.

Just as we have Driving school on Land
We have Merchant Navy Schools that teaches people how to sail ships

Same as Aviation schools. Go and make your research please and leave regimentation for the Military that owns it. Thank you

Note: The uniform of the Nigerian airforce and that of the pilots in Nigerian Aviation Industry is not the same. Please check well

Nigerian Port authority personnel (merchant Navy) uses something similar uniform to that of the Nigerian Navy but it's not the same Please. The people working in these areas know these differences and the genuine ones will always maintain their own lane.

Thank you.But you are mixing up issues.Go back and read my message well.
I said:
(1) That sailors (Merchant Navy ) are regimented.This doesn't mean they use military carmoflag or rifle.By regimentation,I mean that they have undergone some sort of military training (rifle handling excluded)

2. That those cadets wear full military uniform even to some official functions outside the school in group.I don't know what you understand by "military regalia" .Or are you saying that naval uniform...white and white or navy-blue is not military uniform?
Is it only Carmo dat we can call military uniform? I have seen these cadets with full military (Naval) uniform in official school bus attending the burial of a mother of one of their colleagues far away from Oron.They came back to school, passes through the school gate to show you their movement outside the school wasn't illegal.So whosoever that told you that they can't wear the uniform to a function outside the school is deceiving you.

3. That commercial airplane pilots uses Air Force insignia.You are talking about Air Force uniform.Insignia doesn't mean the same thing as full uniform.No need to argue with you on this.Get close to pilot,check the golden batch stamped at the pocket of their uniforms and check the one in Air Force uniform.Then come back and prove me wrong.

Then finally,I want to tell you that I have attended a wedding ceremony of one these Merchant Navy personels.He wore ceremonial Naval uniform and their members too with full martial band played to usher the couple in and out of the hall.And this didn't happen inside a hidden village but in a City with people from all works of life including those from govt. Security agencies in attendance and they were not arrested or tagged illegal Organization.
So I don't know what makes you think they don't wear the uniform outside the school during official functions.
You,go back and also do your research well.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest 108 Naval Impersonators In Lagos by naptu2: 3:47am On Nov 18, 2021
AgentGoat:
what's the issue with this merchant navy stuff @naptu2

Ishilove:
Na these ones go enter bus and no go gree pay.

Oops! Sorry, I missed this.

(I think the death of the NNSL is one of the reasons for this controversy).

A merchant navy basically consists of a country's commercial fleet. This was the way that I understood it when I was a kid; Nigeria's military air service was the Nigerian Air Force and its civilian air service was the Nigeria Airways, while its military maritime service was the Nigerian Navy and its civilian maritime service was the Nigerian National Shipping Line.

A merchant navy consists of cruise ships, cargo ships, fishing trawlers and other such large civilian commercial ships. They can be utilised by the government during war or national emergency, for example, the British Merchant Navy was used to evacuate allied soldiers from Dunkirk during World War 2 and ships of the Nigerian National Shipping Line (NNSL) were used to transport soldiers to the Niger Delta during the Nigerian Civil War.

Cause of the controversy

The Nigerian National Shipping Line was an important source of training and structure for the Nigerian Merchant Navy, but the company was liquidated in 1995. The controversy between the Nigerian Navy and the Nigerian Merchant Navy then began in the early 2000s, after the transition to civil rule.

Although every country has a merchant navy, there is no single recognised body in Nigeria known as the Nigerian Merchant Navy. There is no law that sets up an organisation known as the Nigerian Merchant Navy. Furthermore, although civilian seafarers (just like civilian aircraft crew) wear uniforms and have ranks, there is no civilian non-governmental organisation that is authorised to bear arms. There is a government owned and recognised training institution for civilian seafarers, but it is called The Maritime Academy of Nigeria (not the Merchant Navy Academy).

However, some people have created organisations called The Nigerian Merchant Navy. They wear uniforms and organise training camps and also allege that they have the backing of government. The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) investigated these claims in the early 2000s and said that there is no law establishing such organisations and that they do not have the backing of government. The Nigerian Navy said that the people in those organisations were impersonating naval officers. In fact there were several clashes between those organisations and the Navy and some members of the organisations were arrested by naval personnel.

Since then the organisations have insisted that they are legitimate and are recognised by the government, but the police and the navy regularly arrest their members for impersonating naval officers and running an illegal organisation. The organisations claimed that they were approved by Presidents Obasanjo, Goodluck Jonathan and Buhari, but there is no evidence of such approval. A bill to establish the Nigerian Merchant Navy was introduced into the House of Representatives, but it was never passed (the Nigerian Navy opposed the bill) and the police and Navy continue to arrest members of the organisations and to destroy their camps.

Here is the website of one of the organisations. https://nigerianmerchantnavy.com/

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 OAU Students Face Fraud Trial, Varsity Meets EFCC / Gunmen Kill 3 Vigilantes In Kaduna, Displace 16 Villages / Charms, Guns, Other Items Recovered From Kidnappers Apprehended By Police.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.