Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency (20653 Views)

2019: 3 PDP Governors To Defect To APC - Suleiman Ahmed Wambai / Dino Melaye Joins Atiku & PDP Governors At PDP Meeting In Abuja (Pics) / Three Northern APC Governors To Defect To PDP (Names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by EcoBrick: 4:20am On Nov 11, 2021
November 10, 2021

…As Atiku, Saraki, Anyim walk tight rope

By Dirisu Yakubu

Against the backdrop of the success of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, national convention, governors elected on the platform of the party have shifted their attention to 2023 with the aim of having one of their own fly the party’s Presidential flag, Vanguard gathered, Wednesday.

The 13 governors recently demonstrated their grip on the party as they succeeded in reducing what was meant to be an elective convention to almost a no contest, prevailing on 18 out of the 21 aspirants to the various party offices to queue behind consensus candidates. The development inflicted political injury on many top players as they watched the governors delivered their preferred candidates with little or no resistance.

Ahead of the 2023 election, Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto state and his Bauchi state counterpart, Senator Bala Mohammed are believed to be nursing Presidential ambitions even as they are yet to officially declare their interest.

Speaking exclusively to Vanguard in confidence, a former governor of one of the North-Western states and member of the party’s National Executive Committee, NEC, said following the hitch-free conduct of the convention where the governors had their way, “they are now certain to bankroll one of their own to run for the Presidency in the next general election.”

According to him, “It is too early to say a certain governor has been endorsed by his colleagues for the ticket as others apart from those in the public domain are likely to join the race. What I can however tell you is that the governors have realized how powerful they truly are and are not going to yield an inch to anybody in the race to the Presidency. It will interest you to know that after the convention, the governors met, away from the prying eyes of the media, just to congratulate themselves and plot their next move.

“They control the delegates in their various states and even in those states where PDP do not have governors, they have found a way of exerting their influence. But this is not about power show; it is about change of guard. They simply want to be in charge as they believe that since the party lost the Presidency, they ordinarily ought to be the kingmakers. And who better to fly the Presidential ticket than a governor?” he asked.

With this development, the Presidential ambition of former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, immediate past Senate President, Bukola Saraki and one-time Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim may have hit the rock given the influence of the governors in the affairs of the party today.

Atiku’s body language and Saraki’s public utterances have given them away as potential Presidential aspirants in 2023 while Anyim has confirmed his interest in the race, whether the PDP zone the ticket to a particular or not.

Speaking recently in Abuja, Anyim, a one-time President of the Senate said: “Posters of my Presidential bid and agitations by groups for me to contest flooded the social media in 2020 and I disassociated myself from such calls. I felt that it was too early for such declarations to enable the present administration concentrate on governance. Such calls resurfaced in the early part of 2021 and I choose to be quiet over the issue.

“We presently have less than 18 months to the next elections and I feel the time was ripe to indicate my interest.”

Continuing, Anyim said zoning of the Presidential ticket has been deferred by the party, adding however that “nothing stops any one from the South-East zone from contesting the Presidency even if it was not zoned to it. The most important thing is that the party’s national convention is a sort of rebirth for a group of people who have recovered from a setback. The party members are presently focused and determined to reclaim power with one spirit,” he told newsmen.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/11/2023-pdp-governors-to-back-colleague-for-presidency/

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Baawaa(m): 4:22am On Nov 11, 2021
Who among the PDP governors, no one is marketable among them
Moreover, self interest will not let them support themselves

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Itgeo: 4:31am On Nov 11, 2021
I have the feelings they will adopt Gov Wike. The slayer of Bihari and Amaechi. BTW, i haven't seen Amaechi in any public function for quite a number of months now. I hope he is doing well.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 11, 2021
Small Apc of those days is now benching PDP , nobody would have believe it back then that it will turn out this way. What goes up will come down one day .

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Bola146(f): 4:35am On Nov 11, 2021
grin grin
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by BosseJ: 4:37am On Nov 11, 2021
Itgeo:
I have the feelings they will adopt Gov Wike. The slayer of Bihari and Amaechi. BTW, i haven't seen Amaechi in any public function for quite a number of months now. I hope he is doing well.

I kind of agree with you. With Wike's growing influence in the party, he can easily become the consensus presidential candidate of the party, if he can get the support of his fellow southern and northern governor colleagues. At worst, Wike would get VP position. But whichever way it turns out, he'll play a big a role in the selection of the presidential flag-bearer of the party. The likes of Atiku and Saraki are jokers.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Mossadd: 4:49am On Nov 11, 2021
BosseJ:

I kind of agree with you. With Wike's growing influence in the party, he can easily become the consensus presidential candidate of the party, if he can get the support of his fellow southern and northern governor colleagues. At worst, Wike would get VP position. But whichever way it turns out, he'll play a big a role in the selection of the presidential flag-bearer of the party. The likes of Atiku and Saraki are jokers.
pdp will loose woefully if they choose wike forget packaging northerners will not vote wike as they see him as tormentor of buhari and fulani,I see Igbos campaign mercifully against wike presidency expecially in South East.i like wike but wike can not defeat osibanjo or tinubu the only candidate that can defeat Yoruba apc candidate is a northern candidate like kwankwazo,tambuwa or saraki

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by BosseJ: 5:04am On Nov 11, 2021
Mossadd:
pdp will loose woefully if they choose wike forget packaging northerners will not vote wike as they see him as tormentor of buhari and fulani,I see Igbos campaign mercifully against wike presidency expecially in South East.i like wike but wike can not defeat osibanjo or tinubu the only candidate that can defeat Yoruba apc candidate is a northern candidate like kwankwazo,tambuwa or saraki

I disagree. There's no guarantee that the party would win in 2023 whether it selects a Northern or Southern candidate as the PDP presidential flag-bearer anyway, so in that case why shouldn't someone like Wike try his luck? From the way it's playing out, the governors want one of their own, and if that's the case, your logic won't fly. And speaking of Ipob, they are clear on their agitation for Biafra, so I don't see them supporting any candidate, be it Wike or a Northerner, so delete ipob from the equation.

The likes of Atiku and Saraki aren't likely to go far in their ambition as things stand because the governors have hijacked the party structures; their only saving grace might be if perhaps Secondus wins his case at the Supreme Court and scatters everything. But if the governors insist on picking the flag-bearer from amongst themselves, and considering that there are more southerner (SS) governors than Northern ones, then Atiku, Saraki, and Kwankwaso's ambitions are dead-on-arrival.

45 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by ezegold4we: 5:35am On Nov 11, 2021
The PDP governor's will pick Tambuwal as Their presidential ticket and wike as Vp, that's The game plan,

Then the APC will present tinubu or osinbanjo as Their presidential ticket, then both South East And South South will vote PDP, then 60 to 70% of northerns will vote Tambuwal And that's game over for APC and finally power will return to North for Another 8yrs, if u can't see This, then you r a newbie in Nigerian political permutations

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Validated: 5:38am On Nov 11, 2021
Stop masturbating on vanguard's delusion. PDP is interested in getting back the presidency. Presently, only Atiku can pull that off and they know. The only question is the running mate, where the governors seem to be pushing for one of their own. The governors are just distracting APC just as they did before the convention. Right now APC is in delimma as to how to handle her convention. If they adopt direct primaries, the governors will start defecting, if indirect, a bigger implosion will follow.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by hisexcellency34: 5:47am On Nov 11, 2021
Atiku will still get the ticket

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Validated: 5:52am On Nov 11, 2021
hisexcellency34:
Atiku will still get the ticket
And win 2023

5 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Jimasun: 6:00am On Nov 11, 2021
ezegold4we:
The PDP governor's will pick Tambuwal as Their presidential ticket and wike as Vp, that's The game plan,

Then the APC will present tinubu or osinbanjo as Their presidential ticket, then both South East And South South will vote PDP, then 60 to 70% of northerns will vote Tambuwal And that's game over for APC and finally power will return to North for Another 8yrs, if u can't see This, then you r a newbie in Nigerian political permutations
IPOB analysis

29 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by ursullalinda(f): 6:24am On Nov 11, 2021
Before nko who will they back before.......accord aspirant?.......ex governors are known to be thieves that's why they always move to the Senate.......so they can back their own for future cover up not for our own interest
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Thanos5555: 6:25am On Nov 11, 2021
angry
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by EjaikreTheViper(f): 6:26am On Nov 11, 2021
Buhari is foolish

2 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Maxymilliano(m): 6:26am On Nov 11, 2021
Not a bad idea supporting a colleague to vie for the highest seat in the land, but there will be a primary election to determine who will be flag bearers.

Anything short of this will amount to imposition, which will spell doom for the party
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by gambia(m): 6:26am On Nov 11, 2021
Tambuwal is a bad market.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Carmal90(m): 6:27am On Nov 11, 2021
ezegold4we:

They can't have both....
Not possible
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by YourFavorite21(m): 6:27am On Nov 11, 2021
Nyesom Wike should come out and contest, he is the only person wey I fit manage vote, Atiku and Saraki na scam.

13 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 6:27am On Nov 11, 2021
Itgeo:
How can u even suggest ameachi the thief...mtchewee
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by BigDolph(m): 6:27am On Nov 11, 2021
If not southerner nobody is going to smell that seat. So let us know what we are all doing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Fiscus105(m): 6:28am On Nov 11, 2021
Pdp only wasting it's time, maybe 2027 they would have gotten themselves and ready to defeat party in power

4 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Urbanchampion: 6:30am On Nov 11, 2021
Used
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:31am On Nov 11, 2021
A better Nigeria is all we want.

Not all these political shenanigans.

God bless Nigeria

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Great2017: 6:36am On Nov 11, 2021
Baawaa:
If Buhari could be marketable, don't you think anyone including a stone will be marketable to most Nigerians who will always vote along ethnic and religious lines?

7 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 11, 2021
Baawaa:
Wike/Tambuwal ticket. Unbeatable
But Obi/kwakwaso or Tambuwal is sure PDP ticket to Aso rock
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by BigSarah(f): 6:41am On Nov 11, 2021
Bala and ifeanyi
Tambuwal and wike

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by FamTomx2(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2021
sad

Any formidable strategy to destroy APC will be highly appreciated.

6 Likes

Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by fasho01(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2021
Greedy folks
Re: 2023: PDP Governors To Back Colleague For Presidency by KILLTHECOWS(f): 6:46am On Nov 11, 2021
Itgeo:
Enugu gov

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NNPP Presidential And Gubernatorial Campaign At Garun Malam LGA Kano (Photos) / Kogi 2015: Faleke Writes Oyegun, Rejects Yahaya Bello As Audu's Replacement / Throwback Photo Of Audu Ogbeh As Minister Of Communication In 1982

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.