Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census (35887 Views)

Tinubu Bans Political Groups In Lagos As War With Aregbesola Worsens Over 2023 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Americans Debate The Most Popular African Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I know about 6 Yorubas in the UK, all of them from different families, who have never been to Nigeria, yet they speak perfect Yoruba, and they don't know each other. Mind you, both parents of each of these people, are Yorubas.

I know about 3 Igbos brought up in Onitsha, who only speak English, because of their parent's foolishness. Their parents are surprisingly from Imo.

This is just a very minute sample, yet very revealing.
It is "revealing" only to a biassed and illogical mind
What you know or claim t know is not evidence for anything . It is not logical to say that because everybody in your WhatsApp group voted for Ifeanyi Uba therefore he must win the election.

Is that rational?

I can come out and say I know blallabla

That is just my own experience and nothing more

99.99999 % of Eboes did not vote for Buhari. It still turned out to be 5% so coming us to tel us how the Presidential election will go based on how the dwellers of Umuakpu vote is illogical

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by OfoIgbo: 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2021
aribisala0:

It is "revealing" only to a biassed and illogical mind
What you know or claim t know is not evidence for anything . It is not logical to say that because everybody in your WhatsApp group voted for Ifeanyi Uba therefore he must win the election.

Is that rational?

I can come out and say I know blallabla

That is just my own experience and nothing more

99.99999 % of Eboes did not vote for Buhari. It still turned out to be 5% so coming us to tel us how the Presidential election will go based on how the dwellers of Umuakpu vote is illogical

Now compare this my own experience with the fact that some years ago, a UN agency placed the Igbo language on their list of endangered languages. What this means is that my personal experience tallies with the UN agency's findings.

If Igbo speakers in the US are just 94,000, out of a possible 500,000 to 1 million Igbos in the US, then it still tallies with the UN agency's findings. I am sure if you search, you may find the UN agency that found this out. I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

So basically, your attempts at rubbishing my statements, have obviously met a brick wall in the face of superior logic

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 3:19pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Now compare this my own experience with the fact that some years ago, a UN agency placed the Igbo language on their list of endangered languages. What this means is that my personal experience tallies with the UN agency's findings.

If Igbo speakers in the US are just 94,000, out of a possible 500,000 to 1 million Igbos in the US, then it still tallies with the UN agency's findings. I am sure if you search, you may find the UN agency that found this out. I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

So basically, your attempt at rubbishing my statements, have obviously met a brickwall in the face of superior logic
Rubbish does not need rubbishing by anyone.
It does a good job by itself

At the end of the day
All you are saying is nothing more than the way you have chosen to interpret the world which is not borne out by any objective evidence that you can provide

What is the basis of the possible "500- 1 million Ibos in the USA"
That is what you wish

You are talking rubbish

The data on the form is self report. No one does an Igbo language test

People are asked the same question and answer based on identity not language proficiency

There is no evidence that Ibos have a different self Identity profile from others

8 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 13, 2021
Philipponzaghi:
Chai, where did people now see the notion that the Igbos are the largest Nigerian ethnic groups in the USA and that the Yorubas are the largest in UK?

Like I always say, any sane thinking person living in USA will know the Yorubas are the largest West African Ethic group in the USA, they are clearly represented in universities, corporate America, African Restaurants, Self-Owned businesses and etc.

I am glad this data is straight from the USA government Census Bureau website, so this is an objective truth.

If you know the amount of deluded shit running in an average Igbo's head (assuming they have this in the first place) you wouldn't have asked the question in your first paragraph.

12 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHer0: 3:51pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I know about 6 Yorubas in the UK, all of them from different families, who have never been to Nigeria, yet they speak perfect Yoruba, and they don't know each other. Mind you, both parents of each of these people, are Yorubas.

I know about 3 Igbos brought up in Onitsha, who only speak English, because of their parent's foolishness. Their parents are surprisingly from Imo.

This is just a very minute sample, yet very revealing.

Another tales by moonlight.

I also know 1000 Igbos brought up in Manchester and they all speak perfect Igbo. I know 500 Yorubas brought up in Ogbomosho that couldn’t speak any Yoruba but only English.

My own is even just more minute a sample than yours, and yet very revealing.

If you doubt me, I will tell you how I personally know 2 trillion igbos in Amelika that speak perfect Igbo.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Factshunter: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2021
LegendHer0:

I also know 1000 Igbos brought up in Manchester and they all speak perfect Igbo. I know 500 Yorubas brought up in Ogbomosho that couldn’t speak any Yoruba but only English.

If you doubt me, I will tell you how I personally know 2 trillion igbos in Amelika that speak perfect Igbo.

*Falls from a chair*

Imao grin grin grin grin
Una no go kee persin for yia oo cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2021
LegendHer0:

This your own is from the Book of Revelation

As I am speaking to you know I 300 Eboe developers in Punjab Their children speak Igbo like anything

6 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHer0: 3:58pm On Nov 13, 2021
aribisala0:

As I am speaking to you know I 300 Igbo developers in Punjab Their children speak Igbo like anything

Lol and those Punjabi Igbo sabi speak Abakaliki dialect gan.

Ofoigbo come here, this is a new revelation about Igbos in Punjab.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by OfoIgbo: 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2021
LegendHer0:

Then how come what you know does not tally with a UN agency finding, that clearly stipulates that Igbo language is endangered?

How come the same report did not state that Yoruba language is also endangered?

When you want to come up with points, come up with back-able points. Don't just do the same thing that NBS headed by your brother is doing. Pulling out figures from his ass.

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 4:03pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Then how come what you know does not tally with a UN agency finding, that clearly stipulates that Igbo language is endangered?

When you want to come up with points, come up with back-able points. Don't just do the same thing that NBS headed by your brother is doing. Pulling out figures from his ass.
Where is the report?

Is Eboe language endangered in SE Nigeria or among Eboe developers in Kathmandu?

Show us the report

Yoruba language can never be endangered it is a superior language. The language of God

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Can you provide the source from UNESCO that classified Igbo language as an endangered language?

Below is the link to UNESCO endangered languages and there are 29 Nigerian languages on that list and they are all minority languages. Infact, I haven't heard of all of them before.

Akum, Bade, Bakpinka, Defaka, Duguza, Dulbu, Fyem, Geji cluster, Gera, Gura,Gurdu-Mbaaru,Gyem,Hya,Ilue,Jilbe,Kiong,Kona,Kudu,Camo,Luri,Mvanip, Ndunda,Ngwaba, Odut, Polci cluster, Reshe, Sambe, Somyev, Yangkam, Zeem

http://www.unesco.org/languages-atlas/index.php

Can you show me the sources from UNESCO website for your claim that Igbo is classified as an endangered language? I am not talking about hearsay articles talking about UNESCO predictions that some major languages will be endangered by 2025 bla bla bla because I also have one of such article that predicted that Yoruba will be an endangered language soon and you see I did not mention it.

I am waiting for your UNESCO source.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LLiKYekoba: 5:22pm On Nov 13, 2021
Putindbutt:

If you ain't scared at the ease with which they manipulate figures, change narratives and lie with a straight face, i wonder who would. You read well to notice their pathetic manner at twisting facts from ethnic- based statistics.
On this thread, they've come up with narratives such as " ibo kids speak little or nothing at all, Ibos in Lagos speaks less of ibo, embassy proximity deprived ibos of traveling!. These are people who have over the years lie to themselves that they had the most ethnic population in the US but are being doll ragged in the face of a verifiable data.

It's actually funny to hear a yoruba man accuse others about 'lying with straight face'.
Because whenever I hear that phrase, these names come to mind;
- lie mohammed
- femi adeshina.

I'm sure it's the same for many other nigerians.

Can someone remind me what tribe the above-mentioned guys belong? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by jumobi1(m): 5:23pm On Nov 13, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Why will I be hurt Dumbo? I doubt you live in the USA too, you're so dull to live in such an environment grin

The US census board release an information, yet a dull thing like you dey argue from his house in Abakaliki grin

You're presented with Stats, yet, you're still arguing... Dam!!

Nah. I live in New York.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

It's actually funny to hear a yoruba man accuse others about 'lying with straight face'.
Because whenever I hear that phrase, these names come to mind;
- lie mohammed
- femi adeshina.

I'm it's the same for many other nigerians.

Can someone remind me what tribe the above-mentioned guys belong? grin

For me names like

Chinua Achebe,
Emeka Ojukwu
Uche Ckukwumerije

come to mind

9 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 5:47pm On Nov 13, 2021
adamsmith914:
Mr Man go & sit down, igbos are as much if not more than Yorubas in the United States, ever heard of the Igbo Landing of Georgia for a little example?

Igbo landing ko, igbo climbing ni...

Comedians...

lmao........ grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2021
I'm not quite sure why this matters to anyone. It's interesting because to be honest, I've always assumed by perception that there were more Igbos in the US, while there are more Yorubas in the UK. But regardless, why does this even matter and what does anyone stand to gain by trying to disprove it?

4 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 5:54pm On Nov 13, 2021
Obi1kenobi:
I'm not quite sure why this matters to anyone. It's interesting because to be honest, I've always assumed by perception that there were more Igbos in the US, while there are more Yorubas in the UK. But regardless, why does this even matter and what does anyone stand to gain by trying to disprove it?
Disingenuous and hypocritical rubbish especially coming from you

Look in a mirror and ask all those silly quetions

4 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I've seen this UN/UNESCO report referenced severally, but can't seem to actually find such a report. I'd be curious to see what it actually says. Cos I'd like to see how they came to the determination that a language spoken by tens of millions of a growing population is "endangered". I lived in Lagos all my life and yet, I hardly know any Igbo person in Lagos (family, friend or acquaintance) who can't speak Igbo. My company in Lagos has almost as many Igbos as Yorubas and every single Igbo person I know speaks the language. I have family in the US, UK and Canada and even my little nieces and nephew who grew up abroad either already speak or are learning Igbo. I'm just talking about Lagos and abroad and not even actual South East states. Yes, we may not speak our language as much as Hausas do for example, but that doesn't mean it's an "endangered" language. Seems like a lot of hyperbole.

3 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:06pm On Nov 13, 2021
aribisala0:
Disingenuous and hypocritical rubbish especially coming from you

Look in a mirror and ask all those silly quetions

Explain. I often forget that when I come on Nairaland after long months away, that I have to shed my sanity to adopt the infantile ethos of its most committed keyboard warriors, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about here. Incidentally, I was not even thinking about you and your cohorts when I posted that and was thinking more about Igbos who feel impelled to dismiss and disprove the data when it doesn't conform to their assumptions. But everything for you is viewed through your primitive parochial mindset, so of course you felt like you were somehow under attack.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2021
Obi1kenobi:

Explain. I often forget that when I come on Nairaland after long months away, that I have to shed my sanity to adopt the infantile ethos of its most committed keyboard warriors, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about here. Incidentally, I was not even thinking about you and your cohorts when I posted that and was thinking more about Igbos who feel impelled to dismiss and disprove the data when it doesn't conform to their assumptions. But everything for you is viewed through your primitive parochial mindset, so of course you felt like you were somehow under attack.
Because that is in the DNA of the Eboe cohort here to seize every infantile opportunity to assuage their insecurities and some of us enjoy setting their delusions right

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LLiKYekoba: 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2021
aribisala0:

For me names like

Chinua Achebe,
Emeka Ojukwu
Uche Ckukwumerije

come to mind

Those names are great names associated with honour. There is even a Chinua Achebe literary club in Kenya. His books have been translated in hundreds of languages all over the world like bible. Many departments and faculties of languages in US, UK mahadums make his books compulsory in their studies. cheesy
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2021
It's very sad for igbo people that with all the chest-beating and bragging, DATA from Nigeria and even in faraway USA ara not on the side of Igbo people, even with the last earnings and IGR report in Nigeria, they are the bottom with war-ravaged NE.

Their bragging and chest-beating mean nothing at the end of the day, it's all shallow and empty when data and facts get in the mix.

grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:20pm On Nov 13, 2021
aribisala0:
Because that is in the DNA of the Eboe cohort here to seize every infantile opportunity to assuage their insecurities and some of us enjoy setting their delusions right

If you were not ravaged by the same insecurities as that "Eboe cohort", you'd find better ways to spend your time than trading juvenile barbs over the achievements of other men. Ethnic supremacists whether Igbo, Yoruba, or white supremacists are driven by the same insecurities.

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Those names are great names associated with honour. There is even a Chinua Achebe literary club in Kenya. His books have been translated in hundreds of languages all over the world like bible. Many departments and faculties of languages in US, UK mahadums make his books compulsory in their studies. cheesy

They are all lying propagandists

8 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Chemcrown: 6:51pm On Nov 13, 2021
Horllamideh:

I have always known you are either from Ogun state or Oyo state cos both are not known for docility. I am from Oyo too, Ogbomoso to be precise.

You have been at the forefront bursting lies and other stereotypes against us, I no even dey see YungMilli my itsekiri boss again. Together with TAO19.

God bless you all.

Ogbomoso, omo af'opo ja
Ibi won gbe jeka ko to muko yangan

I hail ooooo

5 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 7:10pm On Nov 13, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

The US Census Bureau should have put that dirty old tribal bigot and your imaginary get-together in Kenya in their data too...

We are talking about US Census Bureau data and this one is lamenting over some pami club about some dirty old bigot in Kenya..funny people..

grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 7:52pm On Nov 13, 2021
kettykin:
'

This is report is talikng about languages spoken and not tribes , my family is in US and during the last census they registered but not as igbo speakers because my children born and raised in US cannot speak fluent igbo

Then who do you blame for the accurate or inaccurate data collection? You and your family or the US Census Bureau?

They collect such data for so many reasons, mostly to accurately represent you and benefit your community in terms of targeted federal programs, resources and even political representation and recognition so when you don't accurately represent yourselves by offering accurate info to the census bureau and collection officials because you play around with your identity and swap languages back and forth for whatever self-destructive reason, you injure and kneecap yourselves.

Numbers in the US and elsewhere carry a lot of weight, large numbers mean social and political recognition and even federal appointments and.

People look at numbers and it starts with data collection especially in the US, you have to accurately represent yourselves especially since the data was collected not just based on ancestry but also based on spoken language. If you are Igbo, tell them you are Igbo and you peak Igbo, state your true ancestral identity and spoken language instead of your preferred and substituted American identity and Amerian language.

Sad that you did not see how you betrayed yourselves based on your own destructive excuse.

3 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Donmobi(m): 8:34pm On Nov 13, 2021
Dsalvo:

Lol. What should I do then? Go to the nearest magistrate court to take count of names and ethnicity of Lawyers there?

Dude, do you understand the measures of central tendencies in statistics called mean, mode and median?

It is what educated people use to get a decent picture of a sample group. The sample group being Nigeria in this case.

I have utilised relevant measures of central tendencies, in different disciplines and fields, to prove my point.

You just keep blubbering and saying nothing. Go and enjoy your Saturday bro. You clearly have nothing informative to pass on.
Too much grammar clouds everything once more
U don't need to prove to me dat u r educated bro
Let's face d facts
U said u have utilised all possible areas for ur proposed measurements
Yet giving me a stat based on the richest lawyers is best u could come up with to prove ur point
Seriously is dis a joke?
Come on brother I believe u can do better.
Give me a better stats like let's say the number of lawyers produced per tribes in nigeria.
If it favours ur motion,
Then who am I not to believe u.

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Donmobi(m): 8:44pm On Nov 13, 2021
LegendHer0:

Let’s talk about the achievement of various tribe in diaspora.

One backed by sources. Are you game?
Ok
Tho I knw get too much strength to type things
But I believe my guys go back me up
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LILTJAY: 8:56pm On Nov 13, 2021
plaindealer:

The US Census Bureau should have put that dirty old tribal bigot and your imaginary gettogether in Kenya in their data too...

We are talking about US Census Bureau data and this one is lamenting over so pami club about some dirty old bigot in Kenya..funny people..

grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LLiKYekoba: 9:09pm On Nov 13, 2021
plaindealer:

The US Census Bureau should have put that dirty old tribal bigot and your imaginary gettogether in Kenya in their data too...

We are talking about US Census Bureau data and this one is lamenting over so pami club about some dirty old bigot in Kenya..funny people..

grin grin grin grin

Ewedu muslim mugu....When the same USA release data about Igbos being the most intelligent African group, the amala balls in your mouth will suddenly feel like stones and you'll suddenly develop acute tachycardia. I bet your cardiac markers and BP levels will be shooting over the roof. Enwe! grin grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Ewedu muslim mugu....When the same USA release data about Igbos being the most intelligent African group the amala balls in your mouth will suddenly feel like stones and you'll suddenly develop acute tachycardia. I bet your cardiac markers and BP levels will be shooting over the roof. Enwe! grin grin

lol @ most intelligent group..

Some olodo ipob sitting in his abakaliki village obviously came up with that fraudulent lie and rubbish.. grin

Who dash you intelligent? grin

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (39) (Reply)

Buhari Wins Nasarawa State. / Electricity Tariff To Increase On Wednesday Despite Lockdown In Nigeria / Bonaventure Enemali Shot By Navy Officer! Anambra Commissioner Escapes Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.