Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,942 members, 7,835,138 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51429 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by shilox(m): 1:17pm On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah is on her own.
Let her be.[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Rhea(f): 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2007
While I cannot corroborate whether Oprah actually made that statement, if she did, then she's actually generalising a lot of issues.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it takes two to tango. It actually takes a criminal mind on the part of the con-man, and greed or sheer stupidity on the part of the duped for a 419-scam to be executed.

Why on earth is it that even though 419 is almost as old as HIV, more and more people are still falling victim to it. Irrespective of the mass publicity accorded this scourge, and the consequent bastardisation it has effected on Nigeria's image globally, people are still falling prey to these 419ers.

The answer is simple: GREED!!!!!! PURE UNADULTERATED GREED AND STUPIDITY!!!

While I wouldn't regard every Nigerian as corrupt, I also believe that 419 has been so dramatised that we seem to forget the very fundamental traits of honesty and sincerity that many Nigerians have thrown into the garbage. I find it extremely difficult to trust anybody I see on the streets these days.

While not every Nigerian is corrupt, the number of those yet to be tainted is fast been depleted.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by charlione(m): 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
somze:

Finally we have brilliant peeps on the thread grin

BABEELOVE, kilasos, Tayotere, forest_xxx well said.

Thank God! cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by charlione(m): 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2007
pls go to the last page and see what Oprah really says.
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200704/tows_past_20070413.jhtml
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 2:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
Thank you Charlione!

Again, I watched the show at least twice and Oprah said nothing of the sort. Another urban legend grows.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 2:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
Most Nigerians are in denial. Even Yar'adua said to the ministers yesterday " Steal public funds, go to jail". Now, why would a president be making such a statement to his aides ?? Because he knows what they are made of. What kind of president in a normal country says that to his aides ?? We are always in denial and so braggadocio ! And not only Nigerians, black race in it's entirety are like that. I've studied all the black people that i've met from different parts of the, Jamaica, USA, Haiti,Brazil e.t.c we are all almost alike. we like show-off and oppression. A black man will have nothing in his bank account, and you will see him with diamond ear rings, Gold teeth, Tinted cars with rims, Sound systems you can hear from 10 miles away. You will see a white millionaire sometimes, you wouldn't even know he has a $1000 in his account, modest to the teeth ! Black people we have big problems !!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2007
@Charlione
I told them the same thing on this post yesterday if you check my previous replies. I watched the show my self and the other shows on CNN about Nigeria and Oprah never said anything of such ! She even said that not all Nigerians are corrupt ! Brian Ross of ABC news said the same thing !
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by DoubleN(m): 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2007
cry What a shame!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by mellow(m): 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2007
She is a wayward girl who want to use Nigeria

as a victimto vent and cover up her waywardness.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
You people need to get a life and stop attacking Oprah for nothing.
She did not say any such thing.
Look at all these people jumping up and down,huffing and puffing.
Abeg!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by omoge(f): 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2007
exactly! and by the way, she isn't barren but chose not to have kids.

you all should talk small and carry a big stick (President Roosevelt). if you've been a victim of all the crimes some nigerians commit, sigh you'd know better than to be shouting here. let's focus on making nigeria a better place. help to fish out 419, scammer etc.

odabo ooo.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
Sweet T:

@Charlione
I told them the same thing on this post yesterday if you check my previous replies. I watched the show my self and the other shows on CNN about Nigeria and Oprah never said anything of such ! She even said that not all Nigerians are corrupt ! Brian Ross of ABC news said the same thing !

@ sweet T, not responding to this particular post but to your continual bad remarks about Igbos.
I have lived here in the USA for a while,including Texas and most of the Nigerian criminals that have been profiled on TV have not been Igbos.
They are southerners alright,catch my drift grin

It is a shame that all you are concerned about is the tribe of the criminals,if so listen good when next the show "How to rob a bank" airs,you'll see there was just one or 2 Igbo guys mentioned and about 7 Yorubas,one edo/delta and another with an English first and last name making his tribe unidentifiable.

The only reason I took time to read the transcript thoroughly to prove this even though I saw the show 3 times was because another Yoruba nairalander had made the exact same comments about that show and Igbos and I knew that was not what I saw.
It is a pity that we here discussing about crime in Nigeria and all you're concerned about is the usual dirt you throw on the Igbos to make yourself look good.
You don't have to tell blatant lies in the process.
The Igbos are not crime free,neither are your people.

Personally,the bad behaviour of Nigerians concern me,it affects us all,do you think your boss in America cares what tribe 'robbed a bank' ?.
The criminal was Nigerian and you are Nigerian,that's all he sees.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
Why is it that we do not investigate things properly before we pass judgement  These same people heaping insults will come back and apologise to God and Man alike for all the terrible things they have said about this woman.  I wonder how your children are raised.  

Do you attack teachers and principals in schools when your child complains to you that "he or she" was scolded by them  It shows you will not even bother to find out what your child did before you disgrace yourself by opening your mouths in public----------What types of example are you setting for your children for heaven's sake?  IT IS BETTER TO BE SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL, THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND CLEAR ALL DOUBT!!!!! 

Make una take am easy with the insults.  You are concerned about Nigeria's image and what do you think the world will think with all this nonsense going on here  I guess most of you do not care afterall!!! Na wah oh!!!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
@Babyosis
Yeah right,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 2:33pm On Jul 27, 2007
Ms. Oprah Winrey has done so much for humanity than all the Nigerian Leaders combined. Oprah has done twice more for other people than what Nigerian leaders (Combined) has done for their own citizens ! All the bastards do is loot the treasury blind!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ebos(m): 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2007
The funny things is that, as you are saying Oprah did not say such a thing, Most Nigerians doesn't want to hear that one. To them, why must she use Nigeria as example in her Scam Awareness Lecture. That is why insults keeps on coming. They are not ready to check the link, even if they check, that is not their business. What they know is that Oprah mentioned Nigeria. Funny enough. grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by omoge(f): 2:38pm On Jul 27, 2007
cuz they rob you point blank. it is hard to pick a person. it's not few but many 419s, scammers, ID thieves, Immigration Fraudsters boku. so many that Oprah lost her count grin and then generalized.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by T2(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
angel101:

I don't understand this post but i did see the oprah interview with tommy hilfiger and he didnt deny the alleged statement. oprah then walked him out of the show!

angel101!! Please stop that this very moment, haba. Very soon someone will say they were on the show Oprah said all Nigerians were corrupt and she pointed to him/her and said including you and matched them out. PLEASE read the links and let me know how you got to watch a show that never was, AH AH!!

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200705/20070502/slide_20070502_350_102.jhtml
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/256527.htm

I am still waiting for a valid link she made the statement on all Nigerians by the way,

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 2:42pm On Jul 27, 2007
ebos:

The funny things is that, as you are saying Oprah did not say such a thing, Most Nigerians doesn't want to hear that one. To them, why must she use Nigeria as example in her Scam Awareness Lecture. That is why insults keeps on coming. They are not ready to check the link, even if they check, that is not their business. What they know is that Oprah mentioned Nigeria. Funny enough. grin

But is this not sheer arrogance on our part
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 27, 2007
Paw-Paw:

We are very corrupt chikena. Oprah was right and if we don't want to be seen as corrupt, be prepared to protest against this Nigerian phenomenon. For years Nigeria was the most corrupt country on earth, last time I checked it was not Oprah that made the study.
The only country to rival us in corruption is Bangladesh and rumour has it that some Nigerians were bribed hence Bangladesh took the title that rightly belongs to us.

Your response shows traces of Ignorance; you ought to know that most of all these rankings are mostly spear-headed by the USA(even though they always act like they aren't involved) else by now u'd know that there's more corruption in the US than in Nigeria but save for the Laws put in place;
Education - what bout the SAT scandal?
Big Firms - what would you say about Enron and Harlibuton?
Sports - what you have to say about Marion Jones?
Politics - talk about how Bush and the Florida scam?
War - I guess we all know better now?
Relationship with countries - google out the meaning of 'BULLY'! and we all know they  manipulate the UN to suit there evil agendas.
Trades - what you have to say about asking Iran not to produce uranium meanwhile have them buy from you?
Security - what are the US marines doing aboard THE BONGA?
Online - They are the 'babas' in scamming just look around!
Health - what are they doin about the rate of hard drug abuse and they talk about helping africa but pat Pfizer on the back when they use our children as guinea pigs
Immigration - Whose economy benefits most from illegal immigrants and you may also want to know that their embassy in Nigeria is a big time source of revenue for them else how do judge the baseless denials?

Although Nigeria is coming from a past of bad leaderships, a legitimate Nigerian in his field is always respected because we are often at the PEAK

PROUDLY NIGERIAN
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2007
ebos:

If it turned out today that all the agberos and area boys and girls in Nigeria commiting crimes and maiming people are from Benin Republic,would it not be wise to conclude that people should beware of Benin republic people in Nigeria?
That is a natural human conclusion.

If I,two of my friends and several co workers have been shot at while gassing up at the 7-11 on main street,is it illogical for me to warn anyone I know that that is a dangerous area to buy gas at that station and perhaps to avoid main street altogether?
We ought to see things in the eyes of others.
We don't like our bad publicity but are they all telling lies?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2007
T2:

angel101!! Please stop that this very moment, haba. Very soon someone will say they were on the show Oprah said all Nigerians were corrupt and she pointed to him/her and said including you and matched them out. PLEASE read the links and let me know how you got to watch a show that never was, AH AH!!

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200705/20070502/slide_20070502_350_102.jhtml
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/256527.htm

I am still waiting for a valid link she made the statement on all Nigerians by the way,

Stop what?!
I say i watched the show. and i dont think i am the only one. y dont u investigate it. I watched oprah's show with Tommy Hilfiger!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Uchebobo: 2:59pm On Jul 27, 2007
The fact and figure in American with regard to crime and related events concerning Nigerians is very high. It’s about 7%. What does this imply? Any process involving Nigerians should be checked vigorously. They do not trust us at work, business, sport etc.
We have to change the dynamic of publicity. All Nigerians aren’t bad but very few are. Just like other countries. Once in a while I watch the NBC dateline here in the state. The show un-cover evil deeds of some Nigerians wanting to be rich over night. I won’t blame her of the comment she made if it’s true she did. Nigerians wake- up! Let us rewrite history in a positive way. Let’s be good. We need each other to survive. God flourish Nigeria!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dearstan(m): 3:01pm On Jul 27, 2007
I really HATE that woman with all cells of my body angry angry such a daughter of jezebel
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by T2(m): 3:03pm On Jul 27, 2007
angel101:

Stop what?!
I say i watched the show. and i don't think i am the only one. y don't u investigate it. I watched oprah's show with Tommy Hilfiger!

What can I say again? When FBI no even fit find the source of the fake email yet you watched the show and Oprah talk she never did such a show in the link on her website.  

angel101!!!  grin No shaking I like ure conviction sha, did you even look at the link to her website?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by nimiomo(f): 3:10pm On Jul 27, 2007
oprah is crazy i do not blame those that do 419 becos if you dont want to get rich quick you wont succumb to illegal ways to triple your money or make deals that do not make sense oyinbos are greedy all what they want is quick money.oprah is as fake as hell and thinks she is the queen of africa HELL NO dangote is still more richer than her and i think that triggered her anger SO OPRAH YOU ARE NO AMERICAN BY ROOTS if you uproot your african roots now i am sorry for you MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING AND MONEY CANT GET YOU EVERYTHING.SO THINK TWICE BE4 SPEAKING BECOS IT CAN COME BACK TO HUNT YOU IN THE NEAREST FUTURE GOODLUCK OPRAH ON YOUR MOUTH RUNNINGS
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
T2:

What can I say again? When FBI no even fit find the source of the fake email yet you watched the show and Oprah talk she never did such a show in the link on her website.

angel101!!! grin No shaking I like ure conviction sha, did you even look at the link to her website?

No cos i watched it. and i'm not even joking. grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by mellow(m): 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah, Oprah Hmn Oprah again.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by mangrados(m): 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2007
Winifree Opara or what una dey call am sef be ogbonge Naija woman. She be from Nnewi in Anambra state. She be real ogbanje and dat's why obganje dey worry am o. So make una sofry sofry dey abuse am o. grin wink
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by krs2(m): 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
right now,I am preparing salad and there is this fat cucumber that I want to slice, but I am having a second thought. And I am thinking,will someone please help me give it to opera to shove it up her gay asshole, yeah, something to keep her busy,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Caradona(f): 5:18pm On Jul 27, 2007
@ TOPIC

I'm a great fan of Oprah Winfrey and the show you guys are talking, she NEVER made such statement. Shes not Stupid.
secondly, when she interviewed Tommy Hilfiger, She never walked him off the set, infact Hilfiger contributes alot towards Black Foundations.
Oprah Ancestors comes from Liberia.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by krs2(m): 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2007
Well, it better be rumor,cos if not,,

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

Senator Ademola Adeleke Dancing In A Church In USA (Pics, Video) / Throwback Photo Of Olusegun Obasanjo And His Family In 1979 / Masked DSS Officer With RCCG Wristband (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.