Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,479 members, 7,826,811 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51402 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by mubaraqqq(f): 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2007
Where is the evidence that Oprah said this. show the evidence The more i think about it. The more i say to myself that Oprah Winfrey cannot make such a stupid generalisation.

Why is it that we don't have this much hatred and talk when our leaders steal our money. What is even more funny  is Nigerians call each other names worse than this We badmouth ourselves and our country worse than this

Why don't you send comments to  your governors and leaders.  Yes i have nationalistic pride, but we need to look at ourselves very well.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Roscodaddy(m): 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2007
The problem we are have on this topic is just some few people who could not make it in Nigeria and happy to be slaves in US,they makeso much noise about Oprah or Okpara being good  and a humanitarian,I just tire,so you guys can stand up for your country just because of some lean dollars,you are earning and can even afford to own anything in your country,why,why,all we hear green card this and that,abeg slow down oprah is mad and cares what she says,go and visit American Embassy in Lagos,it is like a bank,when you apply for visa and you are denied why don't they refund the visa fees,you pay for what you don't know if youwill get,abeg Oprah I mean Okpara should get  continue in hercult activitics and leave us alone,she should help sanitise US where she resides and leave us alone,Ashewo 10 koko.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by bluesky4(f): 5:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
mubaraqqq:

Where is the evidence that Oprah said this. show the evidence The more i think about it. The more i say to myself that Oprah Winfrey cannot make such a stupid generalisation.

Why is it that we don't have this much hatred and talk when our leaders steal our money. What is even more funny is Nigerians call each other names worse than this We badmouth ourselves and our country worse than this

Why don't you send comments to your governors and leaders. Yes i have nationalistic pride, but we need to look at ourselves very well.

thank u jare, these ppl are too quich to jump on her bandwagon.

She doesnt need to do all her charity, like most of u were sayin, she's just a ''stupid slave'', why does she even bother tryna help people in Africa have better life.

Its a disgrace how people treat people who do good.

Its an even more disgrace when they curse her, while they isnt any prooof to her saying any of these stuff.

And most nigerians are curropt, and u all know it.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by base99: 6:07pm On Jul 27, 2007
IF I WERE AN AMERICAN, BRITON OR AN ASIAN, I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH 9JA PEOPLE.
BUT AM NOT, AM A "TYPICAL BLACK DUDE" SO I 'M GOING TO DEFEND MA COUNTRY JUST LIKE I ALWAYS PROMISED IN SCHOOL (PRIMARY & SECH.).JEFF DON YAN FINISH ABOUT OUR NIGER DELTA,SO OPRAH CAN SAY OR SPONSOR WHATEVER SHE LIKES AFTER ALL SHE IS LISTED IN FORBE'S MAG AS THE RICHEST BLACK WOMAN.

NO DOUBT THERE 'RE CORRUPT ONES,BUT WE STILL 'VE GOOD PEOPLE OVER HERE.
NA SHE KNOW WETIN SHE SEE, I BELIEVE SAY NO BE ONLY THAT $500,000 SCAM.
NO DISRESPECT,SHE WAS VERY SELFISH WHEN SHE SAID U.S SHOULD CALL OFF ALL BUSINESS WITH US.THEY CAN'T.
ABI SHE NO KNOW SAY WE BE THE LARGEST PRODUCER OF OIL IN AFRICA, 2nd LARGEST SUPPLIER TO U.S.
THE ONLY THING THEY WILL CONTINUE TO USE AS PUNISHMENT 4 SOME, IS THAT THEIR VISA,
GOD DON BLESS US FINISH. WE GO STILL DEY FLOORRISSHH. wink wink wink wink
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2007
@dimka: Those Indians are also 419ers, if not they could not have been duped ok? Only greedy,selfish,Wicked,demoniac white people get duped,not those innocent ones. They want to keep hurting Africa and their Natural resources thats why they get involved and lost their Terrorist money.For those of you who don't know, let me tell you all there is what is call THE LAW OF KARMA,any white slave master who is duped is also a 419er thats all.

American Jerferson or what ever he is called help Atiku do money laundering IS THAT NOT 419? Is he not an america? Can we now say that americans are all  419ers?

anywhere oprah as someone rightly said is a barren Idiot,what good will ever come out from the mouth of a woman who has no CHILD? The bible says that any tree that does not bear fruits SHALL be CUT down,OPRAH is no 1
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
Look at how Americans react when someone burnt the American flag,they will come with war ships,rocket,and all what they have to fight that naion or arrest him or her for insulting american Flag, just ordinary flag ooooo. And some animals will come here defending Oprah for insulting our Fatherland. Anywhere my father once told me that not all Nigerians are Nigerians. Some come from Niger republic, Chad,northern part of cameroun, Burkina faso,and I think those are the once here supporting Oprah for insulting Nigeria.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2007
@BABEELOVE: What do you know about Christianity? When our Lord Jesus came to the temple and saw people Gambling what did he do? Did he forgive them? NOOOOO He use a very Long Canne and flog them all out of the Temple Ok. Christianity does not mean tolerating and absobing everything just because you are a christian.Go and reread your Bible very well from genesis to revelation about the meaning of Christianity,don't come here and talk nonsense,if you have nothing to say better keep quite.Traitor.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by archbishop(m): 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2007
Hello Nairalanders,
This is a big SHAME for Nigerians all around the world.
This is not acceptable .
OPRAH IS MAD AND MAY GOD FORGIVE HER.[i][/i].
ALL Americans are more corruption than Nigerians.
George Bush is a Thief.

Please all Nigerians should stop watching her PROGRAMMES and as a BLACK woman she will know what it is to say such to this RACE which has contributed so much positively to her own LAND and PEOPLE.[/color][color=#990000]

Please Nigerians defend your father LAND.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 6:36pm On Jul 27, 2007
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200704/tows_past_20070413.jhtml

Again, you all need to watch the show (pull up the last segment) to see what Oprah really had to say and stop your huffing and puffing. She said nothing of the sort.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2007
Echidime:

anywhere oprah as someone rightly said is a barren Idiot,what good will ever come out from the mouth of a woman who has no CHILD? The bible says that any tree that does not bear fruits SHALL be CUT down,OPRAH is no 1

She is not barren, she chose not to have children. And if that is your interpretation of what Jesus said, you should be not call yourself a Christian. Jesus was not talking about the fruit of the womb, he was talking about spiritual fruits. Lots of great Christians (male & female) died without kids. You think Paul and Mother Theresa were "CUT down"? You clearly do not bear the fruit of being gracious in speech.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dinachi(m): 6:58pm On Jul 27, 2007
According to Oprah Winfrey,all nigerians are corrupt irrespective of educational status. Coming from an esteemed black like Oprah, one is tempted to ask what went wrong with Oprah's sense of reasoning? What got her so angry to make such an unscientific, arbitrary, uneducated, unwise statement concerning the giant of Africa? Yes we may not be in the promised land  yet but America (Oprahs) home is no heaven either. Yes we may not be at par with them in terms of corruption but honestly i prefer the fact that iam a proud  Nigerian to any other alternative. America has  their own vices too. Morally speaking America is the worst nation in the world irrespective of educational status period!!!!!It has the highest number of divorces, highest number of teenage pregnancies , the highest number of abortions,the highest number of suicides etc. Oprah make una tidy una morality issue and we go tidy our corruption problem. Sorry about the fact that Dangote is still richer than you.  grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 7:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
Echidime:

@BABEELOVE: What do you know about Christianity? When our Lord Jesus came to the temple and saw people Gambling what did he do? Did he forgive them? NOOOOO He use a very Long Canne and flog them all out of the Temple Ok. Christianity does not mean tolerating and absobing everything just because you are a christian.Go and reread your Bible very well from genesis to revelation about the meaning of Christianity,don't come here and talk nonsense,if you have nothing to say better keep quite.Traitor.

Not much I believe. But I also think that it also implied that you should judge not so ye shall not be judged!!!!  and he that is without sin should cast the first stone!!!!!

This is a case of the greatest sinners casting not only stones but avalanches of boulders at others!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 7:12pm On Jul 27, 2007
"They'll say, 'Here's $15,000. Send me $4,000. You keep the $11,000,'" Brian says. "People think, 'This is pretty good.'"

This is what they complain about. Can anyone convince me that this is not the action of a greedy person. All Nigerians are corrupt abi? all so called 'victims' deserve all that they get!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ebos(m): 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
If you want to curse Oprah to avenge for anything, no problem. But listen, NEVER NEVER try to curse any woman for her childless state of affairs. Most of us have not yet married to know what our wives will be. But I pray that our wives may be fruitful. If you believe in this prayer, then, don’t go to the issue of bareness.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by JeopardE(m): 7:27pm On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah's arrogance continues to know no bounds. First she spends $40 million to build a school in south africa and handpicks 152 girls to attend it (what the heck?), and now she opens her loud mouth to make a blanket condemnation of Nigerians.

You know, there are wealthy people who actually know how to give without letting their basket mouths get in the way. How many times have we heard Bill Gates make announcements in the media about the contributions his multi-billion-dollar foundation is making to eradicate disease in Africa? Why can't this boring and tired old woman just shut the hell up?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 7:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
Nigerian con artists aren't just targeting e-mail accounts. Brian says these scams are also infiltrating a post office near you.

Why do they have to qualify the scams as being Nigerian?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2007
Brian says very intelligent and well-educated people have fallen for these scams. Some are motivated by greed, while others are truly trying to help those in need. "A lot of the victims have been Christian ministers,"

more excepts from the interview

At least they acknowledge the greed involved
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Carlosein(m): 7:38pm On Jul 27, 2007
now dat it seems she may not have said it afterall, can we stop the insults and invectives on the person of Oprah.

there is an element of greed involved in scamming but how does one explain scamming ministers of God and churches, i

am confused (I read the article being quoted above by the way).

we need to clean up our act and get this scammers in the slam house (my opinion)

they are ruining the chances of a lot of nigerians but home and in diaspora.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 7:40pm On Jul 27, 2007
and more:

Many of the cons lure people in by stealing the names and photos of real people. One e-mail Brian came across claimed to be from an American soldier in Iraq who found Saddam Hussein's hidden fortune. All the recipient had to do to share in the wealth was pay the fee required to transport the funds.

do u see how careful they are in making sure their citizens are not implicated in the crime
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
If ministers of God yeild to greed and in some cases out right fraud (cos they are aware that the source of the money if questionable), then i am sorry for those they are meant to be leading.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by beetintin(m): 8:02pm On Jul 27, 2007
If Oprah had read all these posts maybe she would have concluded that Nigerians
are idiots and stupid set of people!

Imagine, no link was provided to substantiate this claim and we are all cursing
and raining abuses unnecessarily. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Na wa for una o.

Seun once said it, why curse when she is saying the truth? God forgive all of una
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Xris74: 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
Names of Nigerians involved in the 2006 MedicAid Fraud in Houston

1. Akpan Sumuel Etukudo
2. Udofia Bassey Willie
3. Marcel Larry Ajiero
4. Ollie Elvin Ross
5. Godsen Samuel Udosen
6. Ededem Edem
VIDEO OF ARREST OF EDEM
Texas Attorney General
7. Samuel Ekpenyong Edem
8. Ordy Chikodi Nwachukwu
9. Charles Byron Chandler
10. Brodrick Jermaine Carter
11. Ohaeto Maduabuchi
12. Ibanga Marcus Ekpo
13. Offombuk Udeme Eshett
14A. Richard Kankam
14B. Millicent Cindy Kankam
15. Ekpedema Obot
16. Emmanuel Gabriels
17. Paul Etim Udo
18. Godwin Chukwuemeka Arisukwu
19. Collins C. Olorondu
20. Kevin Okechukwu Onwudiwe
21. Wasin Tadese
22. Bridget Daffour Antwi
23. Joseph Itaedet Duke
24. Ukana Bassey Akpan
25A. Demetria Renee Broussard
25B. Caron Collins Broussard
26. Shandrekya Jazell Lee
27. Callishus Chima Duruji
28. Cyprain Ohueri
29. Emmanuel Effiong Nyo
30 Richard Thomason Akpabio
31. Emem Dominic Ukpong

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/4403/55
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Christino(m): 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2007
beetintin:

If Oprah had read all these posts maybe she would have concluded that Nigerians
are idiots and stupid set of people!

Imagine, no link was provided to substantiate this claim and we are all cursing
and raining abuses unnecessarily. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Na wa for una o.

Seun once said it, why curse when she is saying the truth? God forgive all of una

thank God he's not Nigerian grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by presido1: 9:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
We are bold to say we are nigerians can she tell us where she come from. She can't trace her origin hence she is bitting us from all angle. Going for Federal execurive concil now and will be with guys and gyls later. Surely we will talk about oprah case. Just culu tempa you will hear the out come.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 10:27pm On Jul 27, 2007
@mantutuman

you're among those that contributed towards Oprah's wealth that is causing her to insult us now.

@Tornadoz

corruption is in your blood. So it runs in your family, including your parents and your generations unborn. I'm not trying to cast aspersions on you. Am just breaking down a comment you made.

Those saying that we should boycott everything Harpo for one month are not serious. She'll just lose like $20,000 out of $1.5 billion. A lifetime boycott including calling on DSTV to drop her program or we drop them for hiTV.

@akanze

she does not have the right to blackmail a whole country.

@dblock

to corroborate what you said, it was a labelling also, "the Hamitic myth" that was used to justify slavery.

@somze

if somebody says all women are chicken brains on CNN, what do you think would happen to that person?

And by the way homegirl, Dangote is three times richer than Oprah. She's just selling a dream that even she doesn't believe.

Dangote wealth is well gotten and he's been helping Nigerians by making essential commodities available at low prices. We just don't want to acknowledge the truth.

He doesn't have the image and popularity because he's not a TV presenter. But financially, Dangote bags Oprah in his pocket 3 times.

Lastly girl, our ancestors were not slaves too and it wasn't us that raped and impregnated her with an Ogbanje.

@kilasos

Americans not greedy that an American senator will come to Nigeria to collect wash-wash dollars.

If you feel embarrassed, then their tactics are working. They demoralise before they destroy. And remember that they can't do this to you unless you let them.

@babyosisi

if you take Oprah's comment with a pinch of salt, then you shouldn't be bothered about Sweet T's.

ALL THIS IS BECAUSE SHE'S GOT WIND THAT HER NEW LOGO "RICHEST BLACK PERSON" IS NOT GOING TO HOLD BECAUSE OF A NIGERIAN. SO NOW SHE WANTS TO DISCREDIT AND DISREGARD.

Sokpona fire that Ogbanje factory. Beast of No Nation!

@Caradona

Oprah's ancestors do not come from Liberia. Maybe her ancestors went to Liberia, because Liberia was one of the least populated areas during the slave trade. It was after the slave trade that most ex-slaves settle in Liberia, making it what it is today. She's just making stories up. Her DNA test links her ancestry to the pigmies and that really broke her heart. Na Nigerians send that old hag to go do ancestral research?

@beetintin

your parents are Nigerians that are idiots and a stupid couple. Hope you know that is what can be deduced from your statements.

ANY TREE THAT DOES NOT BEAR FRUIT WILL BE CUT DOWN.
BUT THE TREE THAT REFUSES TO BEAR FRUIT WILL BE UPROOTED AND BURNT.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2007
@Presido
Get real and face the reality. Some Nigerians are very corrupt !! Stop defending the indefendables. Oprah has a root and she succesfully traced her root to Liberia ! Get informed b/4 spitting nonsense !
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Chiori(m): 11:31pm On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah Winfrey is one twisted satanist. I am a Nigeria and I am not corrupt, thus, that proves her wrong. Let her go sit in the dust. Idiot!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 12:08am On Jul 28, 2007
babyosisi:

Don't start this stupidity again.

U dey mind the paranoid tribalist? Abeg, his blind insinuations sound more like "Osama Bin Laden is the Mayor of New York".
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 12:24am On Jul 28, 2007
Because Oprah Winfrey get $1.5 billion, she go curse some people mama and papa, dem go dey use smile dey explain wetin she actually talk.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 1:20am On Jul 28, 2007
lol @ Denex. . . that would be MILITIA. . . U sure say MILITIA be Naija sef? E be Like say 'Nigerian' as in Niger Republic. grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MILITIA(f): 1:27am On Jul 28, 2007
grafikdon:

lol @ Denex. . . that would be MILITIA. . . You sure say MILITIA be Naija sef? E be Like say 'Nigerian' as in Niger Republic. grin

I appreciate the fact that I am always on your minds even when I an not logged on! grin

BECAUSE I REFUSE TO BE A RETARD LIKE MOST OF YOU It is only among Nigerians that you make enemies because you disagree with most.  Sorry, my parents gave birth to me with all the "components" of my mind intact. I do not have to agree with something I do not believe in because I want to make a bullshit of a "friend"---on Nairaland or anywhere in this world.  So please continue, like the "juju" when hold una never clear!!!!  I AM NOT CURSED!!!  I CAN CHANGE TO BE A BETTER NIGERIAN--------Since Nigerians cannot teach me that, I think the Americans will!!!! kiss  And they are doing a dannnnnnn good job!!!  Reading from most of you---can you blame me for the way I feel and write!!!  You have nothing to offer me--not even common sense!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 2:11am On Jul 28, 2007
We hear you, madame.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

The Interior Of Jimoh Ibrahim's Dubai Office (Photos) / Alex Badeh’s Wife, Mary Iya Badeh, Sons Alex & Kam Remain On DSS Watch List / Toyin Saraki Arrived At EFCC Unprepared, Left Shocked At How Much They Know- SAR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.