Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,833 members, 7,828,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon (5849 Views)

Ben Bruce Compares Price Of Kerosene In Nigeria And India / Jimi Agbaje Sharing Kerosene In Ajeromi Ifelodun / Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by shirleyz: 8:35am On Jun 08, 2011
In my area, a gallon of kerosene was sold for N1,200 this weekend, can you imagine, this is too much, i hope the price has gone down now o. angry
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by OmichaelO: 8:45am On Jun 08, 2011
It was #1500 as a last week in my area,but it has now reduced #1200, Thank God
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by sirp2007: 8:46am On Jun 08, 2011
A LITRE WAS SOLD FOR 50 NAIRA HERE IN WARRI SOME DAYS BACK ,BUT D QUEUE WAS SOMETHING ELSE, NOW U CANT EVEN FIND IT IN ANY FUEL STATION EXCEPT BLACK MARKETER (THEY SELL FOR BTW 150-200/LITRE.

pleep:

Are you guys really blaming the president for this?
no we are blaming OSAMA BIN LADEN for allowing OBAMA to kill him
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by mrofficial(m): 8:58am On Jun 08, 2011
Abeg, make one Ibo business man help us go China go manufacture stove wey we go dey use petrol with, wey no go catch fire.  grin

Sheybe we dey use petrol for gen and e no catch fire. We dey use gas to cook, and our house no catch fire.  grin

Since kerosene don turn to Gold, make we self wise up.

1 Like

Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 08, 2011
mr.official:

Abeg, make one Ibo business man help us go China go manufacture stove wey we go dey use petrol with, wey no go catch fire.  grin

Sheybe we dey use petrol for gen and e no catch fire. We dey use gas to cook, and our house no catch fire.  grin

Since kerosene don turn to Gold, make we self wise up.
grin grin cheesy wink. I don die o, Na. True u talk o
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by mrofficial(m): 9:19am On Jun 08, 2011
^^^ Na true noww. Them say, anything wey go up must come down, but no be for Nigeria. Once e don go up, e go hang there.

Finally, we go complain, nag, protest, after all, nothing go still happen. The petrol stove na the next available option.

----

Wetin be your yahoo ID? or BB PIN. Make we talk jare.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by phuckNL: 9:20am On Jun 08, 2011
Why cant people just switch to gas. It is cheaper on the long run. It's more efficient, cleaner , and you get your cooking done 5 times faster than kerosene stoves.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by efisher(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2011
phuck_NL:

Why cant people just switch to gas.

Because lots of people are penny wise and pound foolish. They are also resistant to change and never willing to try something new.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Bensonite: 9:37am On Jun 08, 2011
efisher:

Because lots of people are penny wise and pound foolish. They are also resistant to change and never willing to try something new.
Not that people are resisitant to change. I think its ignorance and people think the initial cost of gas cooker and cylinder is expensive but in the long run for an average home, a 12.5kg gas cylinder can take you for a month. This is less expensive and you do not have to wash your pot or kettle with detergents all the time. So preach to as many as you can as I am aready doing that.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by shirleyz: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2011
Some peeople wont change to gas cos they r careless with the use of a gas cylinder, as we all know that if the cylinder is not closed properly after use and there's gas leakage in the air, that can cause an explosion.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by scopusng(m): 10:03am On Jun 08, 2011
Even my grandmother in the village uses gas.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by phuckNL: 10:06am On Jun 08, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^

Not quite true. Kerosene stoves and candles have burnt so many homes down. It rarely is the case that homes get burnt down due to gas (in naija ooh). Its really not that easy to burn your house down with a leaking gas cooker. There is a reason they add that odour to the gas so one can perceive it. As a matter of fact, depending on the concentration of the gas, sometimes you just get a quick flash/explosion but it usually doesnt get to the point of burning down your kitchen. Not saying it doesnt happen thoug!!!

People just need to be educated. Gas cookers are cheaper. They burn faster and cleaner thereby saving you time and money. You also dont have to go QUEUE to buy gas,
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by dominique(f): 10:35am On Jun 08, 2011
everyone around me (thats using kerosene) are just complaining. not only is it so expensive, but the rate at which it burns is too fast. the saddest part of this situation is that majority of the people that use kerosene stove are middle/low income earners. i try to advice them that gas is cheaper, cleaner and not as dangerous as they think. even our maiguard is switching to gas. we got him a 2 face gas burner and he's puting money together for the cylinder.

People just need to be educated. Gas cookers are cheaper. They burn faster and cleaner thereby saving you time and money. You also dont have to go QUEUE to buy gas,

true. i think this is the wake-up call they need to make a change for themselves.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by omo9ja1(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2011
hmmm I taught there were some order to reduce price

also during campaign we are promise kerosene to go for N50 - N60

fresh air abi?
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 08, 2011
im sure very soon now we'll start hearing about cases of kerosine explosion due to adulteration . may God deliver 9ja
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Kwenku: 10:52am On Jun 08, 2011
This is why Jonathan should get down to work and not lose his head to just being president that talks. He needs step to step on toes and free Nigerain masses. cry
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by delicious1(m): 10:52am On Jun 08, 2011
Gas is cheaper-in the long run.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by SanFranc(m): 11:09am On Jun 08, 2011
Wonder why a large percentage of our educated population still uses kerosene powered stoves to cook!

The merits of LPG over Kerosene are too numerous--cleaner, faster, readily available, cheaper, flame can be regulated and its more environmentally friendly.

If those saying that they are ''careless'' can actually make up their mind to be careful and at the same time set their mind, body and soul to the cooking activity at any point in time, they will discover they can overcome their carelessness!

Its high time at least 50percent of our population commence usage of LPG for cooking and very soon to power cars!
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by MaiSuya(m): 11:12am On Jun 08, 2011
Donlittle:

in lagos??

No, Benue state
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by SUV(f): 11:18am On Jun 08, 2011
mine is a family of 5. i refill my cylinder of 12.5kg (N2,800) and i use it for 6weeks. its cheaper, cleaner and faster.

i bought one for my mum in villa, they use their own 12.5Kg (N3,000) for 4months.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by delicious1(m): 11:35am On Jun 08, 2011
^Well said. Cheaper and cleaner.

I often wonder why the Government has not deemed it fit to license new Gas providers that will construct a national gas network to supply gas to every home.

And the gas will be metered, so you'll pay only for the units you use.
It'll be cleaner, cheaper and it will lessen the dependency on Kero.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by fxtopedia(m): 11:50am On Jun 08, 2011
When GEJ  was giving ULTIMATUM many a novice was ranting here
as if that would solve the issue. Minimum wage was signed and some
folks were rejoicing! Money illusion is the other of the day in Nigeria now
because of bad leader!!!

Where is BEAF? Where is SEUN? and all those ranting for GEJ?

There is no employment, yet inflation is hitting the roof!!! Too bad

Well, that is what sentiment, tribalism, nepotism and all sort of ''sm'' bring to us

FRESH WETIN? FRESH AIR!!! I only pity the proletariat 
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Kobojunkie: 12:05pm On Jun 08, 2011
Again, isn't this supposed to be N50 kerosene?
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by MaiSuya(m): 12:07pm On Jun 08, 2011
SUV:

mine is a family of 5. i refill my cylinder of 12.5kg (N2,800) and i use it for 6weeks. its cheaper, cleaner and faster.

i bought one for my mum in villa, they use their own 12.5Kg (N3,000) for 4months.

KAI!! na so-so salad una dey chop? kidding grin

faster and cleaner, I can understand. I'm not too sure about cheaper, especially if you're like me with an unyielding appetite for beeaaaaannnssss!  cool
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Kobojunkie: 12:08pm On Jun 08, 2011
SanFranc:

Wonder why a large percentage of our educated population still uses kerosene powered stoves to cook!

probably because the initial cost scares them. I mean it is about the same reason why many, even those who use gas, still use generators for power(flushing money down the drain each year, when they could switch to renewables, spend less in the long run, and get cleaner and quieter energy.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by MaiSuya(m): 12:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again, isn't this supposed to be N50 kerosene?

where did you get this from?
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by snthesis(m): 12:21pm On Jun 08, 2011
as stated by Blue tooth- the rise in the price of kerosene is caused by some unscrupulous suppliers of Diesel. initially due the the price difference btw diesel (=N=110) and kerosine (=N=50.00) 2008 thereabouts. some evil geniuses came up with a way of beating the competition - a mixing formulae was developed- for a typical 33000 liter truck, the suppliers buys 20,000 litres of diesel and mixes it with 13,000 liters of kerosine in what is popularly termed "rice and beans". the beauty of this mixture is it still meets the octane range required by the diesel engines. unfortunately the trend caught on and every tom, dick and harry is into this mixing, the resultant is the perpetual scarcity of kerosene. and the law of demand/supply and price takes full effect- basically the price of kerosene goes up- shikena!!!!! tongue tongue
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Kobojunkie: 12:37pm On Jun 08, 2011
Mai Suya:

where did you get this from?

The price, after subsidies, which already applies, is meant to be around N50 - N60, so what happened? And who makes the killing during this hike, no matter how temporary it turns out?
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by MaiSuya(m): 1:09pm On Jun 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The price, after subsidies, which already applies, is meant to be around N50 - N60, so what happened? And who makes the killing during this hike, no matter how temporary it turns out?

I'm not quite sure myself. It probably may not be too far from the picture painted by synthesis.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by anointedf(m): 1:13pm On Jun 08, 2011
You better believe. Two weeks ago i bought for N850, now its over 1k.
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by Kobojunkie: 1:14pm On Jun 08, 2011
^^^^ Why haven't you switched over to gas as many continue to wonder?
Re: I Cant Believe The Price Of Kerosene in Lagos is Now N850/Gallon by honeric01(m): 1:21pm On Jun 08, 2011
snthesis:

as stated by Blue tooth- the rise in the price of kerosene is caused by some unscrupulous suppliers of Diesel. initially due the the price difference btw diesel (=N=110) and kerosine (=N=50.00) 2008 thereabouts. some evil geniuses came up with a way of beating the competition - a mixing formulae was developed- for a typical 33000 liter truck, the suppliers buys 20,000 litres of diesel and mixes it with 13,000 liters of kerosine in what is popularly termed "rice and beans". the beauty of this mixture is it still meets the octane range required by the diesel engines. unfortunately the trend caught on and every tom, manliness and harry is into this mixing, the resultant is the perpetual scarcity of kerosene. and the law of demand/supply and price takes full effect- basically the price of kerosene goes up- shikena!!!!! tongue tongue

Even with all the flaring that's going on

SUV:

When kerosene was N50 per liter, you could cook a complete mean with 1 liter (soup that can last a week), in the long run, we use to use just 10 liters in 1 month, which is less than N520, why would i buy 12.5KG of gas for N2,800 for six week when i can use just N1040 of kerosene for 8 weeks?

This is why most people (low earners) prefer stove to gas cooker.

One more thing, with the risk involve in Nigeria (some even mix petrol with gas (dunno how possible is that), people tend to stay away from it (since the low earners are mostly illiterates and always afraid to change).

Lastly, what makes you people think when there's a sharp rise in the demand for gas cookers and gas, the price won't rise to like N6,000 per 12.5kg? you're in Nigeria and gas scarcity should also be put into consideration when there's a market for it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? / Rt Hon Aminu Tambuwal CFR Set To Declare For APC With 15 Others / Photos: Pls Be The Judge(akpabio Vs Ameachi's Stadium)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.