Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,934 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

How Does One Overcome Addiction? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Does One Overcome Addiction? (2392 Views)

Nairalander Needs Help To Stop Drug Abuse & Addiction / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / How Does One Overcome Addiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Overcome Addiction? by emofine(f): 6:44pm On Jun 07, 2011
I know a person that is quite dear to me, I do not even understand when or how this habit commenced - but I assumed we all have our quirks.
As for me I frequently consume indomie  embarassed, my other friend smokes (but that is a common occurrence in life) but my dear friend in particular who inspired me to create this topic is absolutely glued to the internet. I have also noticed that not everybody actually overcomes their addiction some only replace it

some have suggested prayers, some say counselling but hmmm I wonder

any ideas?  smiley
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by snowdrops(m): 8:03pm On Jun 07, 2011
do you mean addiction to cigarettes and internet?
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by emofine(f): 6:53am On Jun 08, 2011
I actully meant any kind of addiction (Im trying to disect addiction as a whole)  that's why I proceeded to reel a few off to demonstrate how different they could be ranging from food to the internet even though primarily the reason why I engaged in this said topic was because of someone I know battling internet addiction.
I am seeking a kind of solution or a method to overcome such an addiction and not merely a replacement as I've underlined - I'm just curious as to what people in these situations do
do they meditate? pray? etc any suggestions smiley
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by snowdrops(m): 10:32am On Jun 08, 2011
the treatment is tailored to the type of addiction in question. there is simply no magic bullet.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by kobikwelu(m): 12:51pm On Jun 08, 2011
SIMPLE,

solve the addition by over-indulging in the same addiction

inundation
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by omoekoni(m): 12:55pm On Jun 08, 2011
Switch to another addiction! its human nature to be addicted to something
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by dubem3(m): 1:15pm On Jun 08, 2011
first, let the one agree that he has an addiction
and that he wants to stop it.

thats 50% of the problem gone,
then i guess he just needs to be disciplined enough to take measures

without the first two,
any other thing you do is just a joke of some kind.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by MissyB3(f): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2011
emofine:

I have also noticed that not everybody actually overcomes their addiction some only replace it
True!

This thread reminds me of the reason I joined NL.
''Every addiction is a mini god and you must serve it regularly.  It takes your time, money, energy, everything and sadly, you gain nothing . . . ''

3 years + on and I still remember that post word for word, too bad I can't remember the poster.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2011
I have been trying all my life to stop biting my nails but I can't.what should I do ?
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by kokoye(m): 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2011
I'm addicted to Nairaland and Linda Ikeji's blog. what do I do?

maybe I should destroy the Internet and get it over with. undecided
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2011
Too embarrassed to mention my MAIN addiction but I know the solution and how to overcome and knowing I've got a strong will, I ain't bothered. . .when time reach, I go just ex am like sey I lock door and throway the key grin

PS: Nor be Nairaland be this addiction o
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by ceeplus(m): 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2011
My room-mate is suffering 2GO! addiction,his good friend SEX addiction,his cousin IGBO addiction.his cousin's friend WOMANIZING.pls someone help.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by HighChief4(m): 4:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
Am addicted to making money
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by lonelydude: 4:30pm On Jun 08, 2011
1)
PRAY (or seriously,go for deliverance) about it because most addictions are demonic.

Addiction is one of the tools the devil uses to destroy human beings. He distracts you, steals your time by making you spend unnecessary time on unnecessary habits which could then lead to your destruction.

That's the way he's been destroying our children and youths.

'The thief cometh not but for to steal, kill, and destroy but I have come that they may have abundant life (John 10:10)'

2)
STUDY THE WORD OF GOD VERY WELL

Again, remember this phrase:

SOW A THOUGHT, REAP AN ACTION,
SOW AN ACTION, REAP A HABIT,
SOW A HABIT, REAP A CHARACTER,
SOW A CHARACTER, REAP A DESTINY.

Everything starts from what you're thinking. So deal with your thinking and know when you are thinking wild.
If you are filled with God's word, the Holy Spirit will always be there to caution you.

'Your word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against you' (Psalm 119:11)

3)
But more importantly, FORCE OR TRAIN YOURSELF TO BE DISCIPLINED

'No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it' (Hebrews 12:11 NIV).
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by Odunnu: 6:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
During a summit last year (November) I asked the guest speaker this same question and his answer helped me quit a major addiction I had then.
He said that whatever we consistently do for 21days becomes a habit, flip it over, whatever we persistently abstain from for 21days is under our control.
Previously, I take a minimum of a crate(24 bottles) of mineral a week.
At every meal I include a bottle of either M.Dew/Cocacola/Pepsi, but since this year, i'v not bought a bottle for myself or taken more than (to be on the safe side) 5bottles. I took his advice, and I quit. I've used that method also in building myself up. It works, atleast for me.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by Skii(m): 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2011
Yeah I read in a book about habits are formed 21days on the average

That's in theory, But I tell you the truth depending on the nature, magnitude, duration and complexity of the addiction, it'll take a combination of factors such as going cold turkey, discipline, self restraint, even prayers but ultimately The Grace of God!

I've been there.
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by kingdavidG(m): 5:06am On Jun 09, 2011
THANK YOU SO MUCH MY DEAR FOR YOUR WISE STATEMENT, MAY GOD BLESS YOU, YOU'RE SIMPLY THE BEST.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: How Does One Overcome Addiction? by oladayo042: 10:37pm On Jun 09, 2011
It all bothers on DISCIPLINE. The personal determination to shun what you are addicted to will be a great step.

(1) (Reply)

Strange Rashes On My Skin,i Need Help! / Axamansard Health Insurance / HELP!! Few Months Old Baby Battling With Heart Disease, Need #2.5m For Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.