Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,013 members, 7,821,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer (35451 Views)

Messi Overtakes Ronaldo As Footballer With Most Guinness World Records / Mourinho Sacked As Tottenham Coach / Tottenham Coach Pochettino Cries During His Post-match Interview(video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 16, 2021
Juanmike:
But you never make am.

U nor get sence
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by joedave(m): 11:11am On Nov 16, 2021
Pull down syndrome!

When you're at a very important position where others are beneath you and look up to you, never utter words that could demoralize those among them who you estimated are not measuring up. Rather, help build them with words that will stir them up.

Troost Ekong has an indomitable spirit else he could have changed his dream. Many have fallen by the way sure to pursue other leads as a result of harsh criticism.

You may want to argue he hasn't gotten to his eldorado in football, but satisfaction can be a personal thing at times. The lad is happy and even grateful for what he has been able to achieve so far on and off the field.

1 Like

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by FuckDModz: 11:13am On Nov 16, 2021
But have you made it?

Why not wait till you make it before drawing unnecessary attention to yourself?
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by muheeb01(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2021
Las las na God have the final say...man no be God
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by 8stargeneral: 11:21am On Nov 16, 2021
Thank God u HV made it..I hope d coach is seeing u with national team Jersey
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by BanevsJoker(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2021
Englandboy:
Most of those coach are racist
Wow! Person no fit get opinion again without racism accusations.
Try help yoursef and stop blaming race.

3 Likes

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Amalekki: 11:23am On Nov 16, 2021
FuckDModz:
But have you made it?

He made it. Read the article again.

He is a starter in the elite division in England, he was a starter at the same level in Italy, and a national team starter for Nigeria.

There are only 220 professional footballers from all over the world starting out on matchday in the EPL. That's a tiny fraction of people that passed through football academy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by SmartyPants(m): 11:24am On Nov 16, 2021
The coach was
joedave:
Pull down syndrome!

When you're at a very important position where others are beneath you and look up to you, never utter words that could demoralize those among them who you estimated are not measuring up. Rather, help build them with words that will stir them up.

Troost Ekong has an indomitable spirit else he could have changed his dream. Many have fallen by the way sure to pursue other leads as a result of harsh criticism.

You may want to argue he hasn't gotten to his eldorado in football, but satisfaction can be a personal thing at times. The lad is happy and even grateful for what he has been able to achieve so far on and off the field.

To be fair, the coach's words need to be taken into context. In the European world, there are alternative options to football, so if a child seems genuinely unlikely to make it, it is fair for the coach to let the parents know so that ehy can consider alternative or back up plans.

Besides, it is obvious that Ekong is not really talented at football. As a defender, he has no special attributes - not great in the air, not fast, not particularly strong in the tackle. He's an average player but seems to be intelligent - he would have had a great career in another field, whereas he is just a mediocre footballer.

Case in point:

Oliver Gill, son of one-time Manchester United executive, David Gill, voluntarily opted out of Man United while at the U 23 stage, because he realized he would never be a top footballer. He is now a top business executive.

It's obviously down to everyone to choose their path but the coach cannot be faulted for his honesty.

5 Likes

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by eherbal(m): 11:28am On Nov 16, 2021
grin
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by TheSexLover(m): 11:29am On Nov 16, 2021
xeratech:
Just like nairaland gay men said I will not make it as a programmer if I don't join their homosexual team grin

One of them is the owner of schoolgate academy Ademola, patlex and Akintudei Olanyiyii the homos

But I dey use their head dey play ping pong because I have superior mental power cool

Imagine their audacity
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by TheSexLover(m): 11:33am On Nov 16, 2021
FuckDModz:
But have you made it?

He is known as a professional footballer... So he has made it n earning from it.

1 Like

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 16, 2021
He’s really not that good joor
See as dem dey wire Watford back to back
Omo most footballers dis days na jst grace and luck
Not too many skilful footy’s these days undecided

1 Like

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:35am On Nov 16, 2021
Your former coach has honours and has lifted trophies.

We the fans have never seen you lift a trophy.

We want to see you lift trophies before you start talking about all these throwback stories of yours.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Odoogu(m): 11:37am On Nov 16, 2021
ObaKlaz:
Yo, Troost! That was way too harsh from the sadistic, son of bih coach.
But I'mma keep it real with you, homey - you've gotta up your game, still.

Yeah sure, that's real bro. And am sure he also knows that.

2 Likes

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Munzy14(m): 11:47am On Nov 16, 2021
Englandboy:
No, they are like most Nigerian lecturers.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Thomastism58(m): 11:48am On Nov 16, 2021
No mind him
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by dejavuh0007(m): 11:48am On Nov 16, 2021
The coach is not right but he's not wrong either.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by kponkedenge(m): 11:50am On Nov 16, 2021
And now we don't even know anything about the coach.....cos he never made it as a coach.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Seunfretty: 11:52am On Nov 16, 2021
The man could have been a little harsh but truth be told ...willy isn't really the kinda defender i fancy...
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Seun360(m): 12:07pm On Nov 16, 2021
Still a bang average footballer sounding like prime Alexandro Nesta.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by kals4luv990(m): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2021
See person wey use small tng pass dat clown maguire cool
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by jrusky(m): 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2021
Thank God you ended up disgracing the son of bitch called coach.

I'm very sure he must be one of those pretending racist bitch dream killers.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Elidrisy20: 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2021
But na true him talk
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Igboid: 12:49pm On Nov 16, 2021
If you surround yourself with people who always tell you that you are good in your current state.
You might not have the motivation to be better than you currently are.
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Pootle: 1:09pm On Nov 16, 2021
Englandboy:
jumping to conclusion, you even dont know if the coach race

1 Like

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Kakamorufu(m): 1:10pm On Nov 16, 2021
No mind the yeye coach. Na to play for team bigger than Watford remain. grin
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by ComeToJesus: 1:14pm On Nov 16, 2021
For those feather-brained guys casting aspersions on him , what he earns a week in the poorly rated Watford, you've not seen or earned it your entire life.

Stop hiding behind tiny screens to talk down on people that God has blessed

3 Likes

Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Bamzyriches451: 1:52pm On Nov 16, 2021
All thanks to the coach for making you become what you are today
Re: William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer by Temi2468: 1:56pm On Nov 16, 2021
KosiGee:

I didn’t see any racism there. The youth coach in my opinion said what he said based on Ekong’s performances at the academy. I don’t think there was any personal issues between them.
Some boys need such asperity to shape up. Ekong revealed that after the coach said that, he reflected and told himself that he needed to sort himself out. His hard work paid off eventually but if you really want to have an idea of how the coach felt and what he saw that made him drop those words…..

Pls watch Troost Ekong playing for Watford against Liverpool.

That coach should be celebrated. His words made Ekong.

Watford vs Liverpool. Which season?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PSG Opens New Offer For Cavani Just To Allow Neymar Take Penalties / Rasheedat Ajibade Moves To Atletico Madrid / 22 Years Old Bennacer Named 2019 AFCON Player Of The Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.