Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,757 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:50 AM

What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? (3759 Views)

Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University / What Is The Hardest Course In University? / Let’s Talk!! What Was The Hardest Thing You Faced Or Currently Facing In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Drunkdick85(m): 10:59am On Nov 17, 2021
johnmartus:
And more also they hate outsiders that speak their language because of gossip.

This is not correct.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by damosky12(m): 11:08am On Nov 17, 2021
zedegit:
Yoruba but a tip would be to open your mouth, be jumping up while shouting "Ah!" "Kilesele" "gbatigbati" one month before you start learning it.

You are probably new to Lagos or anywhere in the SW. Or you once stayed briefly there...

Yoruba and Hausa are easy...
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by oyatz(m): 11:39am On Nov 17, 2021
gidgiddy:

Igbo is probably the hardest language. If you did not grow up in Igbo land, or you are not born to Igbo parents, it is virtually impossible to learn to speak Igbo

Thats why there are isnt up to 100 none Igbos worldwide who can speak Igbo fluently

This is a false theory sir.

Even by my mere association with many Igbo guys and short relationships with two Igbo ladies coupled with my inquisitive mind, I can pick up some words in Igbo language.

If I deliberately set out to learn the language, I will understand it but may not be able to speak it well.
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by YourFavorite21(m): 11:42am On Nov 17, 2021
Ibibio and Efik is the most difficult to learn IMO, and I observed that the speak it very fast,you can hardly grab any word. grin grin while, Hausa is the easiest I think.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by oyatz(m): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2021
Richy4:
The language that Calabar people speak, U won't even know where to start from learning cheesy...

Another one is Idoma..A friend from high school was trying to teach me while we were in boarding school.. it wasn't entering grin

Calabar speak Efik language.

Efik, Ibiobio and Idoma aren't really difficult but because there are few people that speak these languages, we don't get used to them and thus appear difficult. Hausa and Yoruba apear to be easier because;

1) We meet many speakers of these languages in our daily lives.

2) There are the languages of commerce and entertainment for many people.

3) Many non-indigenes live amongst themselves and these non-indigenes somehow pick up these languages.
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Richy4(m): 12:04pm On Nov 17, 2021
oyatz:

Calabar speak Efik language.

Efik, Ibiobio and Idoma aren't really difficult but because there are few people that speak these languages, we don't get used to them and thus appear difficult. Hausa and Yoruba apear to be easier because;

1) We meet many speakers of these languages in our daily lives.

2) There are the languages of commerce and entertainment for many people.

3) Many non-indigenes live amongst themselves and these non-indigenes somehow pick up these languages.

I understand what u were trying to say.. but trust me,I tried the Idoma, but it didn't work.. Also u can agree with me that Efik is a really really fast spoken language... One can't pick any word up while listening to the speakers except if the person was born a genius
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by DD29: 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2021
Hausa is spoken by non hausas in almost all the northern state due to its simplicity

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by ThickSharon123(f): 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Lorex6:
Leave Delta and go to Imo, they'll speak Igbo and it will sound like advanced Japanese

And you're Igbo?? grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by ThickSharon123(f): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Ofodirinwa:
has anyone tried learning other nigerian languages? Which was the hardest

To me is Yoruba, then Hausa second, I've lived here for so long in their Lagos state, but I can't speak anything. I don't really like the language becuase it's more like you're picking a fight and it isn't sexy.

Igbo language in Nigeria is more sexy to speak, and looks richer. kiss.

When you hear an Igbo person speak, it's calm to the ear and the soul.
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Facosco(m): 4:34pm On Nov 17, 2021
To me Igbo language is the hardest Language to learn while yoruba and Hausa are more easier, you can stay in Igbo land for one year without hearing their language, but if an Igbo person go to Lagos, within three months, he will be speaking yoruba Language
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by NaijaCuzin: 5:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Igbo
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Teerach: 6:50pm On Nov 17, 2021
Igbo is the hardest. I remembered during secondary school days, many igbo students refused to offer the language. They joined our yoruba class. Our teacher be calling them Omo Igbo.
Me I didn't even think twice. I'm Bayelsa though.
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by youngking22(m): 7:20pm On Nov 17, 2021
Teerach:
Igbo is the hardest. I remembered during secondary school days, many igbo students refused to offer the language. They joined our yoruba class. Our teacher be calling them Omo Igbo.
Me I didn't even think twice. I'm Bayelsa though.
Can you speak ijaw? my mum is from there I really wanna speak the language. I just started embracing my ijaw name.
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Joelobioha(m): 8:11pm On Nov 17, 2021
gidgiddy:

Igbo is probably the hardest language. If you did not grow up in Igbo land, or you are not born to Igbo parents, it is virtually impossible to learn to speak Igbo

Thats why there are isnt up to 100 none Igbos worldwide who can speak Igbo fluently
sharrap dia..go Facebook and search nwaniocha the swiss lady married to an Igbo man..she speaks better than some natives... Mind u she learnt from her husband..
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Joelobioha(m): 8:14pm On Nov 17, 2021
clockwisereport:
Fufulde

Who go even teach you?
I speak fulfulde fluently..I stay among fulanis

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Joelobioha(m): 8:17pm On Nov 17, 2021
My dad is igbo.. But he speaks Hausa.Yoruba gwari.idoma.igala and small urhobo...I'll say he's an intellectual.. He can learn ur language in a week by mere watching u...he also speaks perfect Parisian French and basic german
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by chival(f): 8:19pm On Nov 17, 2021
Richy4:

smiley Igbo is not really easy to learn... reason being that there are so many dialects in it...
The learner might get confused if an Anambra individual for example tried to teach him/her the language and he/she goes out to practice what he has learnt with Owerri, Ebonyi or even Enugu individual... The confusion of the learner might be epic grin
This is true.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Teerach: 8:32pm On Nov 17, 2021
youngking22:

Can you speak ijaw? my mum is from there I really wanna speak the language. I just started embracing my ijaw name.
Hahahaha.... Naaaa. My hubby is Akwa Ibom.
But I think there's a thread for that. Where's your dad from?
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by youngking22(m): 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2021
Teerach:

Hahahaha.... Naaaa. My hubby is Akwa Ibom.
But I think there's a thread for that. Where's your dad from?
Enugu, will lookout for the thread..
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Feelings79: 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
Prayfortheworld:
I'm Igbo but honestly speaking is Igbo language, you can see an Igbo man speaking Yoruba and Hausa fluently. But you hardly see an Hausa man or a Yoruba man speaking Igbo fluently.
My tailor has been in Igbo land for 24 years but he still can flow so well in Igbo

My Uncle's wife speaks youruba fluently and my Dad speaks Hausa fluently.
I'm from Benue state and my experience is that not necessarily is Igbo that difficult but they themselves don't encourage people to understand the language, unlike Hausa/Yoruba people that assists one in learning their languages.For example,if you are struggling with an Igbo word and you ask an ibo person what it means they don't delight in explaining to you unlike Hausa Yoruba people
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by shantti(m): 10:27pm On Nov 18, 2021
Prayfortheworld:
I'm Igbo but honestly speaking is Igbo language, you can see an Igbo man speaking Yoruba and Hausa fluently. But you hardly see an Hausa man or a Yoruba man speaking Igbo fluently.
My tailor has been in Igbo land for 24 years but he still can flow so well in Igbo

My Uncle's wife speaks youruba fluently and my Dad speaks Hausa fluently.

Yoruba no gree me learn sef, wetin be e kuse and e kabo and o dabo, when people tell me these things I simply reply with "ndewo" or " dalu" and they looked at me with shock.

I go to any shop and tell the owner " achoro m igote milk, I nwere milk," they way they look at me eh but me no send, I easily forget "mo fe ra milk" and all that
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by shantti(m): 10:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Richy4:

I understand what u were trying to say.. but trust me,I tried the Idoma, but it didn't work.. Also u can agree with me that Efik is a really really fast spoken language... One can't pick any word up while listening to the speakers except if the person was born a genius

Omo all these efik ibibio no be here, my guy was discussing with his family on phone and was like "ituk mbo itum ukun idaf mbok amadioha" I became concerned that his family might not even understand what he was saying grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by shantti(m): 10:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
ThickSharon123:

To me is Yoruba, then Hausa second, I've lived here for so long in their Lagos state, but I can't speak anything. I don't really like the language becuase it's more like you're picking a fight and it isn't sexy.

Igbo language in Nigeria is more sexy to speak, and looks richer. kiss.

When you hear an Igbo person speak, it's calm to the ear and the soul.

Asin eh, Igbo is posh, Igbo language is for the classy and rich, especially anambra Igbo, that kind of Igbo eh, there was this classy anambra girl in my school lodge she would be like "biko fasi sia lu m onugbo a", "rapuba", "fa makari" such a classy babe

But I was surprised when I saw her selling okporoko in ogbete
Re: What Is The Hardest Language To Learn In Nigeria? by Richy4(m): 4:08am On Nov 19, 2021
shantti:

Omo all these efik ibibio no be here, my guy was discussing with his family on phone and was like "ituk mbo itum ukun idaf mbok amadioha" I became concerned that his family might not even understand what he was saying grin grin grin cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supplementary List For Unizik Admissions. / Standard Of Education IN Olden Days And Now, Which Is Better? / A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.