Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,830 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim (14092 Views)

Nicholas Mbah Released After 8 Months. #EndSARS People In Kirikiri More Than 500 / EndSARS: Keyamo Speaks On Delta Shooting,Says Victim Alive, SARS Not Responsible / Omoyele Sowore Releases Footage Of His DSS Detention Cell, A Year After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Mynd44: 6:06am On Nov 17, 2021
One year after what victims described as genocide against #EndSARS protesters, 300 of them are still in Kirikiri Correctional centre in Lagos prison.

The victims were arrested on October 20, 2020, when soldiers stormed the Lekki toll gate in Lagos and allegedly shot at protesters, who had gathered that Tuesday, following a movement to end the excesses of the now disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), an armed of police formed in 1992 to combat armed robbery and other serious crimes.

Protesters and passerby were reportedly shot and killed by troops deployed by the Nigerian army, who had earlier denied involvement in the shooting, while manyt were arrested at random after the protest for arson, illegal gathering and armed robbery.

The movement started nationwide on Thursday, October 8, 2020, after weeks of outrage and anger with videos and pictures showing police brutality, harassment and extortion across the country.

According to an activist and a coordinator of Coalition for Revolution in Lagos, Banwo Olagokun, there are 311 protesters who should be released unconditionally.

One of such persons was Nicholas Mba, who was arrested a week after the protest.

He explained to The Guardian how he spent eight months in Kirikiri medium prison with 300 others.

He said: “ In that prison, there are over 300 EndSARS protesters there.

“The worst day of my life was my first night in prison, when they told me that I was going to be embalmed. I never understood what they meant because I said why would I be embalmed, am I dead, it was at night I understood.

“That night was hell, they stripped me naked, and a lot happened that I cannot say all. It was a group that mounted pressure on the EndSARS panel for my release. Even till today my case is still in court and I am yet to understand the meaning of it all.”

Mba said he was charged for armed robbery, arson and rioting.

He said: “I had a casemate I never met in my life, except in prison. So I was surprised how he became my casemate in court. You see, that is the kind of country we are in. From Panti, we were transferred to Kirikiri medium prison at 2:00 a.m. I met a lot of scary people in the prison, murderers and real armed robbers.”

However his case was changed to illegal gathering at the last day he went to court after, which he was released in June.

“I asked my lawyer, if that was supposed to be the reason for my staying in prison for eight months. Anytime I remember this my mood changes, anytime I’m being asked or I remember this I feel bad, it reminds me a lot because I went through a lot things I wouldn’t want to recall. Since they have no compensation for what I have been through, I can’t fight the government. All I ask for is my free movement and the case in court should be discharged so I can live my normal life,” he said.

Another victim, Theophilus Ivwrogbo, who worked as a truck driver at a Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) in Apapa, Lagos, got to the tollgate at a time when soldiers had begun shooting.

According to him, the employees of the company were asked to go home, following announcement of curfew by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on October 20, 2020.

He said: “When the shooting began, I was there and I was trying to run to the other side, when I was hit by a bullet. At first, I didn’t know I had been shot until I tried getting up again, then I fell. Someone who saw when I fell began to pull me by my shirt, while I struggled to move with him. It did not take long when he too was shot and he fell on me. My whole body was covered with his blood. There was no strength left in me to run, which made me pass out.”

Theophilus, a father of two has not been compensated and his case is not included among those at the EndSARS panel at Lekki.

DESPITE the lessons of the EndSARS protest, police brutality has not stopped.

Between November 2020 and October 2021 there have been over 100 cases of persons killed, brutalised and illegally detained by security agencies

For instance, 17-year-old Oluwaferanmi Moses, a first-year student of Mechanical Engineering at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), was arrested on September 19 in Mushin , where he repairs cars and was transferred to Ijede, Ikorodu, where he spent 20 days while his mother was forced to pay N80, 000 for his release on October 8.

A motorist identified as Akorede was shot in the leg by a police officer in Oru, ijebu ode on Wednesday, October 13 by a police officer.

One of the officers was said to have shot him during a search. The State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi has said investigation would begin into the shooting.

Monsurat Ojuade, an18-year-old college graduate awaiting admission was killed by a trigger-happy cop, Sergeant Samuel Phillips on September 11, at her residence in Ijeshatedo, Surulere area of Lagos.

Sergeant Phillips has been dismissed and he is to be tried.

On May 31, a businessman based in Germany, Ugochi Unachukwu was killed at a checkpoint on his way to the airport in Imo State, as the police are yet to release report of investigations into the incident.

Another businessman, a 45-year-old Mathew Opara, was shot by soldiers on May 25 in Imo state, near Owerri.

According to reports he was killed by soldiers during a shooting at residents, while returning from work.
His relatives said the military admitted the killing but is yet to release details of the investigations.

According to Amnesty International, in May 2021, the Imo State Government announced the arrest of at least 400 people allegedly linked to Eastern Security Network (ESN).

Investigation by the group indicated that most of them were randomly picked up in their homes and off the streets and had nothing to do with ESN.

Some victims were allegedly arrested while walking on the streets, at a public bar and some for having birthmarks and tattoos.

For instance, Osai Ojigho, a 37-year-old man, was arrested by the police at Orji, in Imo State, on May 26 allegedly allegation belonging to IPOB
https://guardian.ng/news/one-year-after-endsars-300-protesters-still-in-kirikiri-says-victim/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 17, 2021
Woe to Nigerian government,my prayers are with them.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Alf137: 6:07am On Nov 17, 2021
This is the only country that kills it's citizens. Lots of persons has died and nobody is or will be held responsible.
Look at the Arunu girl. Our government doesn't care. Nothing is working.

God help us

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by gasparpisciotta: 6:07am On Nov 17, 2021
Cursed and callous leaders.

The people who hoarded palliatives were never punished.

The civilians who pulled weapons on protesters in Abuja were never investigated and punished.

Innocent citizens rot in jail for fighting for their rights

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Aufbauh(m): 6:08am On Nov 17, 2021
This is why I'm not a fan of public protest in Nigeria.
If you're either caught by stray bullet or by security agents, you'll pay regrettable price & nothing will come out of it afterwards other than media debate.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Wantedmiller: 6:09am On Nov 17, 2021
God help Africa.......

1 Like

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by kenbee(f): 6:09am On Nov 17, 2021
My heart bleeds for the Nation
Absolutely no regard to human right.

11 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 17, 2021
Aufbauh:
cheesy
Hi,you should be by your wife's side now,what are you doing online?
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by KingsleyCEO: 6:09am On Nov 17, 2021
Uncle will soon come and say it is a lie... Minister of misinformation grin

19 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Dproperties: 6:10am On Nov 17, 2021
May God heal our country from de old men's in charge, they're our natural disasters while painting the heavens for their children-children

3 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Edoreborn: 6:10am On Nov 17, 2021
These ones are forgotten n abandoned...so sad..

1 Like

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Chieffoo007: 6:10am On Nov 17, 2021
It is well
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Boogyman557: 6:11am On Nov 17, 2021
Holly Gram cool WTF MAN
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by lomprico(m): 6:11am On Nov 17, 2021
na wah
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by clarocuzioo(m): 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
and some idiots and hungry urchins here were defending the evil the government netted on its citizens.

It shall not be well with them especially that vulture griller.

10 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Gkay1(m): 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
If you are normal human being and you visit Nigeria prison, you humble and learn how to behave yourself.

3 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by money121(m): 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
Lobatan
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by iyke2frankeze: 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
Evil government supported by only evil people.

6 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Oceemo(m): 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
What about those security agents that was killed some even eaten by SE youths prison breaks so all these people are from the toll gate? We will use ourselves to destroy this country one day some of u typing with your fake ass phone will just be on your bed typing and saying all sorts of gibberish.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Crossroad1(m): 6:14am On Nov 17, 2021
I won't blame them though but only a stupid person will want to protest, fight or lock horns with this insane government, they are unreasonable.
Quote me all you want I gat family to feed and I only have one life to live..

WISDOM IS PROFITABLE TO THE WISE WHO DEY REASON THE JAPA WAY..
IF YOU JAPA, EVEN IF NIGERIA DON ROTTEN WHEN YOU COME BACK, YOU GO STILL ENJOY YOUR LIFE..

statistics have it that Nigeria is the best place to enjoy your money..

BTW, I haven't felt the presence of the MENT BBQgriller and his other ment associates LIKE, HELI-ANUS and Co. Seems they have nothing to defend nowadays seeing their ment daddy is a total failure

6 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Zooposki(f): 6:14am On Nov 17, 2021
Very soon, we will hold another protest to free them. I’m so annoyed.

1 Like

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by IgweOfNnewi: 6:14am On Nov 17, 2021
ok
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Sergio101(m): 6:14am On Nov 17, 2021
Welcome to naijs
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Openyamind111(m): 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
People got killed and sentenced for the demanding good governance from the government? From the politician who gave orders to the munmuns wey carry out the orders it will never be well with una upcoming generations.. all of una go die like chicken at the end of the day.. and if you dey support this wickedness, you too will never know peace.. lipsrsealed

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Penguin2: 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
See the atrocity that zombies keep defending.

If nobody got killed at Lekki, then let zombies be free.

But if helpless and unarmed people got killed at like and zombies choose to be lying against their conscience either for political or financial reasons, i cause you people today till your tenth generation.

Terrible things will happen to you in this life and there would be no one to help you as they would all deny involvement while others will deny it happened.

Ndi Ala!

4 Likes

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by ambosss(m): 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
We have leaders who doesn't care for his people, it may take time but the truth most surely prevail.

1 Like

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Stephenofu: 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
We are currently working on a program targeted at unemployed or underemployed graduates with basic computer skill whereby they could work at their own space and pace.

Minimum pay is 50k monthly! You may signify interest if you care or know someone who needs it.

Send a mail to temitopeadeolabisi@gmail.com to be added to a work group! subject your mail "work group"
Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Kellycanon: 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
Help us oh God . Until this generation of youths will stop collecting peanuts to vote in evil, careless leaders situation will continue

1 Like

Re: One Year After EndSARS, 300 Protesters Still In Kirikiri, Says Victim by Anaerobi(m): 6:15am On Nov 17, 2021
And the painful thing is that they are still denying it.

I heard old men don't lie. But our old men are bunch of liars.

From Buhari, Lia and even those on uniform.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Vehicles Burnt As Petroleum Tanker Goes Aflame In Ibadan / What To Expect From Oshiomhole In NASS - Omo-Ikirodah / Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.