Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim (646 Views)

2023: Femi Otedola Backs Bola Tinubu's Presidential Aspiration / Amaechi: My Presidential Aspiration Not A Personal Ambition + Why I'm Contesting / 2023: Abaribe Mocked For Endorsing Atiku's Presidential Aspiration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by Offside: 11:54am On Nov 17, 2021
On Saturday, October 30, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) held its National Convention in Abuja.

But even as the country’s main opposition party was yet to make up its mind where to zone its elective offices, former Senate President, Anyim Pius Anyim, took the bull by the horns with his emphatic declaration that he will contest whether the party zones the presidential ticket to the South East or not.

That dramatically changed the political calculations not only in the PDP but the entire Nigerian political landscape.
Then on November 7, Anyim received the 2020 Zik Leadership Award in Lagos.

But before the awards, he exclusively sat down with IKECHUKWU AMAECHI for one hour in a no-holds-barred, frank and blunt interview, dissecting the problems of Nigeria, the issue of insecurity, the Igbo question, his tenure as Senate President and why he believes the presidential cap fits him.
[/i]

Your party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), just had a successful national convention. The newly elected chairman, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, said its success signals the party has come back. Do you share that sentiment?
[i]

Of course, I do. The last national convention has actually marked a rebirth of the party and the new leadership is properly elected and properly composed to take the party to a new height.

There are some people who say that while it is true that you succeeded in having a successful national convention, the big elephant in the room still remains the zoning not of party offices but the presidential ticket. Don’t they have a point?
[/i]

Well, let me answer you the way I said it recently. Zoning or no zoning for me is really not a matter of politics but a matter of equity.

And for someone like me who has come forward to aspire, zoning or no zoning, I will run. So, I don’t see zoning or no zoning being a challenge to the party.

The candidates should run on their own steam but for purposes of equity, we should know that constitutionally, we recognize the fact that there should be Federal Character.

However, let me say that when the PDP set up a zoning committee, the party was specific that the mandate of the committee was restricted to zoning the party offices. So, the issue of zoning the elective offices could come later. So, whether the party will still zone or not, I don’t think it is any issue whatsoever. It wouldn’t affect the fortunes of the party in any way whatsoever.

I decided to contest the 2023 presidential election not because I am from the Southeast but because, first, I am a Nigerian politician who has been in government and who understands what the problems are and so can find solutions to them. I am also that Nigerian Politician that is at home in every part of the country – North, East, West and South.

So, it is really not a matter of zoning. I think for 2023, Nigerians should look forward to the best that can refocus the country, reposition the country and build consensus and heal the wounds. So, I think certainly, zoning wouldn’t be a serious challenge.

In other words, you agree with those who are saying that come 2023, competence, rather than zoning should be the watchword?
[i]

Sure! I do, because if zoning promotes mediocrity, it is not helping the system. It doesn’t certainly help the nation. However, that is not to say that when you zone, you won’t get competent people from wherever you zone to.

The first issue to resolve and agree on is competence, capacity, capability and ability to run an effective, efficient and inclusive government. And what we are saying is that even when you zone, you should be able to find such a person from where you are zoning to.

You took most people by surprise when you declared your intention to vie for the PDP presidential ticket at the convention ground in Abuja. What informed your decision to travel that route?

I have been in government and I have been around for some good number of years. I have followed the political processes in the country and I have played active roles and I believe that most Nigerians know me very well. So, it is the time I decided to step forward to declare my intention but that is not the time I started to nurse the aspiration.

But it is strategic to come out at a time best suited for the move. Remember that sometime early last year, my posters were all over the internet and I issued a press release disclaiming the posters. I said I did not authorize them. And the reason why I didn’t authorize them, which is true, is that it was too early into the life of the new administration to distract them with campaigns for a new tenure. And I did say that less than two years into the new administration, it will be a distraction for the governance of the country for anybody to talk about aspiration to succeed a government that had just been elected.

So, I think the time I stepped to the plate is the due time. It is the appropriate time to declare that intention.

[/b][/i]Why do you want to be president of Nigeria? What should Nigerians expect from an Anyim Presidency?[b][i]

I aspire to be president of Nigeria because I believe that by my experience, what I know about Nigeria, my very deep knowledge of the country, I will be able to run an inclusive government that will build consensus, restore peace, refocus Nigeria and make the country a place that all of us will be proud of.

So, I believe that the challenges of today are actually a matter of leadership and I will provide that leadership. I will give every segment of this country comfort. I will provide a leadership that will understand how to wield our diversities into an asset. I think that management of our diversities is actually central to the success of the country and I have interacted with various segments of the country. I have participated in running government that affected every part of the country and I know the needs of our diverse groups and I know how to put it together and do a policy thrust that will build a Nigeria of our dream.

[/b][/i]But you will admit that your aspiration will remain a pipe dream if the PDP deliberately zones the presidential ticket to any other zone other than the South East. Some people believe that the body language of the PDP tends to suggest that it is looking towards the North.[b][i]

When we get to the bridge, we will cross it.

[/b][/i]You have talked about your being in government, which is true. You were a Senate President and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF). Whenever the APC government talks about the “16 ruinous years” of the PDP, you should be part of that alleged dubious legacy. Has the APC any merit in their claim that the PDP misgoverned this country?[b][i]

I am sure they are no longer saying so. They are rather wooing PDP members to join them. And whenever they succeed in getting any PDP member to join their party, they celebrate it. So, they have reversed themselves and I don’t have anything to add other than to say that they have effectively reversed themselves.

If I join APC today, they will be happy and they will celebrate it. If the former president, Goodluck Jonathan, joins APC today, they will celebrate it to the moon. So, they have reversed themselves and I don’t have anything to add.

READ MORE: https://www.thenicheng.com/my-presidential-aspiration-accepted-across-nigeria-anyim/

Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by Racoon(m): 11:56am On Nov 17, 2021
This overfed fat crooked again.This is how they keep on insulting the sensibility of sane people.E no go better for this useless man.
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by Fahdiga(m): 11:59am On Nov 17, 2021
So this pregnant man is not only a glutton but also an meth addict
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by Moferere: 12:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
Overfed buffoon
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by nairavsdollars(f): 12:28pm On Nov 17, 2021
This one will just be sleeping and snoring all through his four years
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by alanto: 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2021
Wish you all the best sir
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by yemmight(m): 1:26pm On Nov 17, 2021
You mean the same Pius?
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by durangokid: 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
Racoon:
This overfed fat crooked again.This is how they keep on insulting the sensibility of sane people.E no go better for this useless man.
. And it will never be better for you and your family, your children and grand children including any person from your root
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by Racoon(m): 3:09pm On Nov 17, 2021
durangokid:
And it will never be better for you and your family, your children and grand children including any person from your root
It is well with us already because we didn't contribute in making this country the mess it is today.However, if this Pius Anyim that never contributed anything meaningful to the development of Ebonyi state despite stealing when in govt is your relative, then so sorry for you.
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by durangokid: 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2021
Racoon:
It is well with us already because we didn't contribute in making this country the mess it is today.However, if this Pius Anyim that never contributed anything meaningful to the development of Ebonyi state despite stealing when in govt is your relative, then so sorry for you.
v you are an ungrateful demon, go and check or ask around, Anyim contributed to the employment of over 10000 ebonyi youths into federal civil service, it is on record, is there any ebinyi citizen who ever did that , majority of ebonyi got job through him again , he attracted many federal roads to ebonyi state, maybe he will kill himself for you or feed lazy you
Re: My Presidential Aspiration Accepted Across Nigeria – Anyim Pius Anyim by tutudesz: 4:31pm On Nov 17, 2021
grin Mr Man stop fooling yourself and your people, it's on record that Atiku is your preferred candidate and you will step down for him undecided

(1) (Reply)

EndSARS Petition Signers And Reporters Disgraced In UN (PHOTOS) / Nigeria Under Buhari Is Most Miserable Place To Live On Earth - Pat Utomi / El-rufai Delights In Controversy, He Can Protest Against Himself – Senator Hanga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.