Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 (18153 Views)

Is ICAN As It Is Now Overrated / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Drella(m): 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dailymice:
Honestly, cant tell because people in this country with all their education are still poor. If youre in this country acquire digital skills o. The first 400k I ever made in a month was from my website and my parents are still surprised. No one talks to me about doing Masters again.

Digital skills include

Vlogging
Digital Marketing
Content Writer
Blogging
Programming
NFTs and more.

Money is online guys but you will only see it when you research, by the way it took me 2 years to make my first $100 online

Please how can I learn digital marketing?

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by crestedaguiyi: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2021
how possible is this oga

ufotty2001:
Me ... I don't think ICAN certificate still worth it anymore... I have seen a chartered accountant earning below 100k
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Wyse1: 2:56pm On Nov 19, 2021
Please don't write ICAN go for ACCA

2 Likes

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by kingsleyabu(m): 2:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
It is worth it. You don't know until you get it if you are an accountant with ican you would be more prefer than accounant with MSc. Regarding money wasting you have to give Ican your time I mean u must read hard. Else you will almost regret your action.
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by daneni1(m): 2:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
Areola14:
Hello friend..! You said you have experience in accounting and you have not been getting offer.... I think you have been getting offer but you are the one selecting, looking for the job that the salary will compete with shell oil company... Accounting jobs are not hard now! These days, your working experience is what count, addictional qualification is just an added advantage... Don't waste your time on ICAN...

Abeg, ICAN count ooo. See eh, if you get the experience and you never dey chattered, you no go dey collect high paying jobs. I myself I am not chattered but the amount disparity between the chattered accountants and non chattered at my place of work differs.

Make that babe run that professional exam abeg, it goes a long way in aiding her career growth.

5 Likes

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Deserea: 3:00pm On Nov 19, 2021
This thread is wreck of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by brandsoncharlie: 3:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
boluwaay:
Hello Friend,
If you have the financial strength to write any professional exams, I will advise that you focus one of these: Risk management, Forensic accounting certifications, Supply chain certifications (they're quite many in this field and still globally categorized under finance).
Please ensure they are foreign certification because they may be advantageous in case you get any job opportunities outside the country
Please take this advice very serious. Especially that risk management, you can work in anywhere if you are good at it. A friend of mine who possess, BSc in mechanical engineering, health, safety and environment certification and then risk management got a nice job with these certification in Nigeria. Go for foreign certification they worth it.

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by gassbee: 3:03pm On Nov 19, 2021
How can u b an accountant n u thinking of thrashing ICAN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Suspect33(m): 3:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
basty:
Bros,
ICAN is tidious but worth the rigour. Age is a very big factor, if you are below 30 years, please face the rigours and don't forget to have very sound knowledge of Microsoft Excel an added and important advantage.
God help you
and if you're above 30?
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Suspect33(m): 3:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
boluwaay:
Hello Friend,
If you have the financial strength to write any professional exams, I will advise that you focus one of these: Risk management, Forensic accounting certifications, Supply chain certifications (they're quite many in this field and still globally categorized under finance).
Please ensure they are foreign certification because they may be advantageous in case you get any job opportunities outside the country
and for opportunities within the country, what are the certifications one should aim for?
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by translux(m): 3:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
You may go for the I can exams if you have the time.

But honestly, what matters here is your working experience, let me shock you!

I am a graduate of Accounting from Laspotech,I do not have any I can cert. but do you know I headed a very big and popular construction firm in Lekki, I have 3 ICAN guys on 130k salary working under me, I was the one that employed the 3 of them, I set 2017 I can exam for them at the interview but all of them failed.
Your experience COUNT ALOT.

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by qanda: 3:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Harddiskng(m): 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kolawole2130:
Hello, pls i need candid advice. I currently work in a church as an accountant for some years now. I have tried applying for jobs outside all to no avail especially when you dont have connections. I studied accounting and graduated year 2012. Now am thinking of writing the ICAN exams but am not sure if its still worth it with this present economy and i dont want to waste money. I need candid advice thanks

Big YES.

It is very much worth. ICAN is of my top 3 most professional body in Nigeria.

Well respected by international organizations, not only in Nigeria (US, UK) and it is affordable.
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Poanan: 3:20pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kolawole2130:
Hello, pls i need candid advice. I currently work in a church as an accountant for some years now. I have tried applying for jobs outside all to no avail especially when you dont have connections. I studied accounting and graduated year 2012. Now am thinking of writing the ICAN exams but am not sure if its still worth it with this present economy and i dont want to waste money. I need candid advice thanks

you are asking for help in the wrong place and from wrong people. The accountants are the best people to advise you on this. What university did you go to? cos I will be very shocked if you attended a university in the west and still ask this type of question.

Let me assume you went to Ife, look at the lives of your classmates who are now qualified and compare theirs to yours. There lies the answer.

Getting a sensible job without ICAN OR ACCA is difficult. For as long as you want to practice accounting, bend down and read. I am sure u know the answer to this question but you are looking for someone to tell you otherwise. Nothing good comes easy.

5 Likes

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by cooooooks(m): 3:28pm On Nov 19, 2021
If you've been doing Accounting at a church, is the church planning on opening a school?

Accounting is a straight line to management.
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Poanan: 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
translux:

I am a graduate of Accounting from Laspotech,I do not have any I can cert. but do you know I headed a very big and popular construction firm in Lekki, I have 3 ICAN guys on 130k salary working under me, I was the one that employed the 3 of them, I set 2017 I can exam for them at the interview but all of them failed.

dont advise people wrongly. You are fortunate to be heading the account department in such places. Now, how many of your type in your class can you count?

That exam you set for them even you too cannot pass it in such situation and that is the problem some people have working under people that are not chartered. Some of you show a lot of beef towards those young ones all because of certificates.

6 Likes

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dailymice:
Honestly, cant tell because people in this country with all their education are still poor. If youre in this country acquire digital skills o. The first 400k I ever made in a month was from my website and my parents are still surprised. No one talks to me about doing Masters again.

Digital skills include

Vlogging how can I learn vlogging
Digital Marketing
Content Writer
Blogging
Programming
NFTs and more.

Money is online guys but you will only see it when you research, by the way it took me 2 years to make my first $100 online
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Muwq: 3:55pm On Nov 19, 2021
No
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Joshua30: 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
ufotty2001:
Me ... I don't think ICAN certificate still worth it anymore... I have seen a chartered accountant earning below 100k
Lies
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by adedayourt(m): 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kolawole2130:

So I will from the place of personal experience.

I was not thinking of ICAN when I was in school studying accounting, I remember my mentor ones told me if I graduate as an accounting student in Nigerian, I am equivalent to an accounting drop-out.

Its like a Doc who refuses medical school, its like a law grad who refuses law school.

I put in for it and passed it (though very tasking) and it has opened up to me opportunities.

To the quest of whether it is still relevant in Nig or not,
I will ans by saying if you don't want to build a career in accounting then you don't have to write it, then you might wanna do some other things and do church accounting as side hustle. So yes it is so worth it in Nig

Some coy would not even look at your cv if one is not qualified or in process of getting it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Childofaking: 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
You cant be asking this question if you want to make a career in that profession.
If you are going to work as an accountant then you need it.
There is no employer who is going to pay a reasonable salary to an accountant that will employ an accountant without ACA Or ACCA.
Except if you are looking for jobs that will pay you miserable salary of less than N100K or in that neighborhood.

You can't introduce yourself as an accountant without an accounting professional qualification.
You need other skills to excel in todays market, but you need ICAN to gain entrance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by gentiles(m): 4:20pm On Nov 19, 2021
translux:

Lies. Are u related to lie Mohammed?

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by kunleiky(m): 4:28pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dailymice:

Digital skills include

Vlogging
Digital Marketing
Content Writer
Blogging
Programming
NFTs and more.

Fantastic. Who has that gif where the man is clapping hands and shaking head... Help me add it
Back to you OP. The assurance of climbing up the progress ladder in any profession includes taking professional exams, one of which is ICAN, upskilling and doing constant research as it relates to your field. So writing ICAN exams is not totally out of it. Also, you need to add skills like financial modelling. Whether we'll like to disagree or not. Professional qualifications open more one to more earning potentials.
Lastly, don't forget about other digital skills as highlighted above.
Wishing you success in your endeavors.
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by OMOBA7477(m): 4:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
From my personal experience, if you want to make a career out of the accounting profession then professional accounting certification is very essential and with quality experience even in this Buhari government opportunities still abound.

Majority of my set are qualified and are doing fine but they didn’t get their overnight but with diligence and hard work they are doing great in Nigeria.

Am even the lead audit manager for the audit firm of one of those my set in Lagos. His firm does more of government jobs such as Pencom audit, NPA revenue tracking and that of customs.

If you desire to have a career in accounting then professional accounting certification is a must.

You can even get jobs overseas with a good knowledge of IFRS

My own little ten kobo opinion

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by yinkeys(m): 4:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kolawole2130:
no
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by sexy74(m): 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kolawole2130:
The ICAN in you gives you and edge. Your ICAN value increases with years of experience .
No matter the years you have and you are not chartrerd that's an issue .
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by wacoj(m): 4:55pm On Nov 19, 2021
Himtulie247:
Ask the Accountants please cool

I am a chartered Accountant. Qualified almost 8 years ago.
But listen to my advice my brother. If you have the money in tact, gather it and travel to America.

1 Like

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by kingsleyabu(m): 5:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
That is wickness how can you set the exam you can't even answer
translux:

Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by rexchazy(m): 5:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dailymice:

Digital skills include

Vlogging
Digital Marketing
Content Writer
Blogging
Programming
NFTs and more.

I need you to mentor me through NFTs if you can
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by chloride6: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2021
You don first pass?
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by Herbephe1(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dailymice:

Digital skills include

Vlogging
Digital Marketing
Content Writer
Blogging
Programming
NFTs and more.

Can you please put me through on either blogging or CW?[
Re: Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 by freesoul12: 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2021
Coming from a person wey get Aat and Aca.. Get a digital skills. Î.T will get u far . Ican na just hype. Î have earned in dollars than wetin those certificate pay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Verbal Abuse Of Employees / Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. / Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.