Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,778 members, 7,813,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot (17409 Views)

AFCON: Musa, Chukwueze On Target As Eagles Beat Coton Sport In Practice Match / Man City Fans Want Iheanacho Back At Etihad / ‘I Am Proud Real Madrid Fans Want Me’- Jose Mourinho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2021
Fans want Eagles coach sacked despite playoffs spot

Nigerian fans and former footballers have insisted that Super Eagles head coach, Gernot Rohr, must be sacked by the Nigeria Football Federation following the team’s lacklustre home draw against Cape Verde at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos on Tuesday.

It was a nervy moment across the country as the Eagles played a 1-1 draw to book a place in the final round of the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

The Eagles were pegged backwards towards the end of the final Group C game as Pedro Brito’s men pushed forward in search of the winning goal that could have seen them overtake Nigeria on the table.

Despite the Eagles’ qualification for the play-offs next March, fans were left unconvinced by the performance of the team and Rohr’s conservative approach, and once again called for the sack of the Franco-German tactician.

Former England striker of Nigerian descent John Fashanu said Rohr should have been sacked long before now.

“I do not agree with my fellow Nigerians who are just coming out to say this man (Rohr) should be sacked now because for me, he should have been sacked a long time ago,” Fashanu told PUNCH Sports Extra.

“For us to get to where we want to get, I don’t think Rohr is the best man for the job because our football is drowning.

“We are talking about one of the smallest countries in Africa compared to the largest country in Africa. We have some of the best players in the world who play for some of the best clubs in Europe. We played at home and we couldn’t get a win, which is very bad.”

Atlant ‘96 Olympic Games gold medallist, Abiodun Obafemi, added, “This is not the first time we have been saying this and when I say we, I am referring to football-loving Nigerians, Rohr has not added anything to the Eagles since he took over.

“As far as I am concerned, he is one of the worst coaches Nigeria has ever had and I think it is time we moved on because this man doesn’t understand the passion Nigerians have for football.

“We lost the little prestige we had in Africa when Central African Republic came to Lagos and beat us. Now, we couldn’t even pick up a win against Cape Verde.”

A football fan, Alex Ebhodaghe, expressed his dismay at the poor performance of the Eagles against the Blue Sharks.

He said, “When I thought I had seen it all with my club Manchester United, I couldn’t believe I had to go through such a mental torture during that game. It got to a point I couldn’t finish the match because I got so scared and my heart was beating so fast.

“I don’t want to die of high blood pressure. I don’t think I want to watch the next game except Rohr is not the man in charge of the game.”

Another fan Deji Adelana added, “I watched the game in a viewing centre and we were all nervous towards the end because a goal from Cape Verde would have ruled us out of the World Cup.

“We were all tensed and immediately people started calling for the sack of the coach and I totally agreed with them. I have said it before and I am saying it again: it’s time for this man who has come to Nigeria to collect a pension to go.”

“I don’t want to talk too much other than to beg the NFF to just sack this man who almost killed millions of Nigerians on Tuesday,” Tope Adekunle told PUNCH Sports Extra.

Nigeria managed just one win from three at home in the qualifiers as they beat Liberia 2-0, before losing to 115th-ranked Central African Republic and ending with Tuesday’s uninspiring draw against the Cape Verdeans.

The poor home run also brought Rohr’s management and coaching style into the spotlight as he approaches six years in charge of the side.

Lagos fans, known to voice out their frustrations after Eagles poor outings, did not boo the players after the tie on Tuesday, but hailed Napoli striker, the scorer of the only goal, for his man-of-the-match display.

Rohr still has the support of his players, including Osimhen, despite the declining fortunes of the national team.

“What’s important is getting to the next stage of the qualifying, that’s what the target was and I’m proud we could achieve that,” Osimhen told BBC Sport Africa.

The coach also seems to have the backing of his employers NFF, despite a massive backlash by football-crazy fans on social media.

“The World Cup play-off follows in March so what the coach needs is our full support. He will not get the sack,” BBC Sport Africa quoted an unnamed NFF official as saying.

https://punchng.com/go-rohr-go/

5 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 10:05am On Nov 18, 2021
Home games use to be a fortress for Nigeria with big wins but now

Nigeria managed just one win from three at home in the qualifiers as they beat Liberia 2-0, before losing to 115th-ranked Central African Republic and ending with Tuesday’s uninspiring draw against the Cape Verdeans.

Nigeria 1-1 cape Varde

Nigeria 0 - 1 Central Africa Republic

Nigeria 4 - 4 Sierra Leon

Nigeria. 2 - 0 Liberia

Rohr is a good man but Nigeria need to dream bigger not celebrating a drew with Cape Verde

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Emuforlife1: 10:53am On Nov 18, 2021
If NFF doesn't sack this papa, then Nigeria should kiss the World Cup spot Goodbye and this is not supposed to happen because we have to many youngsters we want to showcase to the World.
If you want to hate watching football, then watch the current Super Eagles play 3 consecutive matches. T'was an eyesore. #SackRoar
#RoorOut
#FireGernotRohr.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by kenzysmith: 10:56am On Nov 18, 2021
This will be the biggest mistake Nigeria we do to sack the coach at this crucial time

So ivory coast wey no smell second round they each their coach?

Amaju is just playing miniminimanmo with 2022 world cup.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 18, 2021
How can a team don't have a play pattern they keep playing anyhow

12 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by kenzysmith: 10:57am On Nov 18, 2021
robosky02:

Home games use to be a fortress for Nigeria with big wins but now

Nigeria 1-1 cape Varde

Nigeria 0 - 1 Central Africa Republic

Nigeria 4 - 4 Sierra Leon

Nigeria. 2 - 0 Liberia

Rohr is a good man but Nigeria need to dream bigger not celebrating a drew with Cape Verde
oga which fortress if it was a fortress u wouldn't have miss 2015 and 2017 afcon

5 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 10:59am On Nov 18, 2021
kenzysmith:
This will be the biggest mistake Nigeria we do to sack the coach at this crucial time

How

Are you aware he is officially now the longest serving coach yet nothing to show

Even with the abundant talent we still can have a pattern of play

23 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by kenzysmith: 11:11am On Nov 18, 2021
robosky02:

How

Are you aware he is officially now the longest serving coach yet nothing to show

Even with the abundant talent we still can have a pattern of play
what abundant talent how many of ur player dey uefa champion league this season name one? For the ist time players is selected base on form u think football in Africa is child play?
What will ivory coast who had abundant talent says after they miss out
Na so una do goodluck appoint buhari shey una see the results
Make I see wetin una Emmanuel amunike go do

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 11:48am On Nov 18, 2021
kenzysmith:
what abundant talent how many of ur player dey uefa champion league this season name one? For the ist time players is selected base on form u think football in Africa is child play?

Name one exceptional thing Rohr has done or what other have not done

Ad I will give one so many things he has not

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by kenzysmith: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
robosky02:

Name one exceptional thing Rohr has done or what other have not done

Ad I will give one so many things he has not
pk so who should will appoint?
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by WibusJaga: 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2021

Let's settle this matter now:

LIKE if you want Rohr sacked
SHARE if you don't

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2021
kenzysmith:
pk so who should will appoint?

Them plenty

1 Like

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by fergie001: 1:10pm On Nov 18, 2021
robosky02:
Them plenty
This man should have been sacked years ago, but we kept him.

Sacking him now is a very risky venture for many reasons.

With the play-offs looming, I don't know what the new man will do in short notice, especially with AFCON one or two months ahead.

4 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by robosky02(m): 1:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
fergie001:

This man should have been sacked years ago, but we kept him.

Sacking him now is a very risky venture for many reasons.

With the play-offs looming, I don't know what the new man will do in short notice, especially with AFCON one or two months ahead.

I can tell you for free a company is ready to pay him off and the new coach is not far from who you know

The next coach already know the boys that only need to do tactical work before next playoff

And he has AFCON to blend too

13 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by fergie001: 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
robosky02:
I can tell you for free and is not far from who you know

The next coach already know the boys that only need to do tactical work before next playoff

And he has AFCON to blend too
Are we going to AFCON to win or to blend.

There is nothing Rohr is doing now that is different from what he has been doing since 2016, yet we "dashed him" new contract.

For the NFF to sack him, they need to pay over N600m to clear his contract and severance packages. Where is the money?

As at last month, they are owing him 8 months salary, they last paid him in February. I don't know if he has been paid now. grin

So they are appealing to him to resign because there is no money. He has said he intends to take Nigeria to the W/Cup.

My advise is manage him until his contract elapses unless the NFF & Aiteo have the money somewhere. The NFF has protected him until now because they see him as been docile.

For his replacement, give us names......don't bamboozle us with another Oliseh-like news. Let us know.

Manage him, we are managing Ole....abeg

8 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Omniman(m): 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
angry
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by DropsMic(m): 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
If to say na black man NFF for don sack am since

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Ayomi90: 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Who are the fans, people still dey watch Naija match?

1 Like

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by eedimo(m): 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hm
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Kuriosmynd: 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
I fit coach Nigeria pass Gernot Rohr

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Mrjonah(m): 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
The man need to go biko
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by millionboi(m): 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Thy no Sabi play ball
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by BabaIbo: 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
W*yrey dey chop Nigeria hard earned money without any good performance.

The only person comparable to his paymaster.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Boogyman557: 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Holly Gram cool WTF MAN
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Nicolartstudi0(m): 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Mmmmm

1 Like

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by OlogoJ: 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
Smh. You can't please human beings in this life.

2 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by money121(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by Toluwanise247(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
We dey preach made in Nigeria products but na foreign coach we get. Charity start from sitting room.
Abi make we go hire foreign president?.

1 Like

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by arthurwillia(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
Lol

kenzysmith:
You can actually make your points known without saying this Oga
Jonathan was a failure and buhari too is a failure
Rohr is a failure and we need a Change, if the person after also fails, then it’s not a function of the fact that the previous was a failure too..

Abeg make we Dey talk better thing

3 Likes

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by FreeStuffsNG: 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
I am just tired of Super Eagles. Thank God they are back in Lagos where they will recieve knocks on their head for lacklustre performance. With Rohr in charge, I am in morbid fear of watching our world cup matches embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Want Gernot Rohr Sacked As Eagles Coach Despite Playoffs Spot by ominilongest(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
watch how Nigerians will start with Y DEM GO SACK ROHR FEW DAYS TO CRUCIAL MATCH after plan b collapse cheesy Nigeria!!fear her o cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victor Osimhen Scores For Napoli On Return From Head Injury / Osimhen, Simeon Nwankwo On Target As Napoli Defeat Crotone / National Honours, Land & Cash For Keshi & Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.