Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. (1871 Views)

I’m An Adult, I’m Not A Kid. I'm Just Suffering From Dwarfism - 22-year-old / Her Parent Threatening To Abort My Child. / Family Insists She Must Abort Pregnancy Because Her Lover Is Yoruba - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hintona(f): 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2021
Would you abort a kid with down syndrome?

I was watching a Nigerian movie yesterday where a woman aborted her kid because he had down syndrome. She argued that the world is wicked and that bringing a child with down syndrome into this world is unfair.

Her husband was torn because he wanted to keep the baby. To him it didn't matter, a child is a child.

I've been thinking about it.

If you found out that your child had down syndrome will you abort that child?

2 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by house10s: 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hintona:
Would you abort a kid with down syndrome?

I was watching a Nigerian movie yesterday where a woman aborted her kid because he had down syndrome. She argued that the world is wicked and that bringing a child with down syndrome into this world is unfair.

Her husband was torn because he wanted to keep the baby. To him it didn't matter, a child is a child.

I've been thinking about it.

If you found out that your child had down syndrome will you abort that child?

wud u prefer d parent despise the kid wen born or try again

7 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 21, 2021
I would definitely abort that kid without thinking twice...

For a "normal" human, the world is already tearing them apart, not to talk of a child with down syndrome...

13 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Uyi168: 6:25pm On Nov 21, 2021
Nigerians that can abort normal kids naim u dy ask whether them fit abort a baby with down syndrome...

3 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by descarado: 6:27pm On Nov 21, 2021
Depends on where you live.

It's a hard choice.
Hugs.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by bigjackass: 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
If you were the child in question won't you wish you were aborted, than live an almost meaningless life

4 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by shawnfamous(m): 6:35pm On Nov 21, 2021
I don't think I would like to publicly give an answer.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 6:43pm On Nov 21, 2021
Of course I go abort am without question. And the funny thing is that those who will mercilessly criticize and demonize you for doing that abortion go do the most in insulting and taking advantage of that child if you born am.

Nigeria is bleeped up beyond redemption and already very hard for Normal citizens. Then imagine how hard it is for the disabled.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by vinceyinnovation: 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2021
What is down syndrome?

Google is not my friend for now..
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:05pm On Nov 21, 2021
Gonna do it without thinking twice! Can't have a child that I'm gonna despise!

4 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:
Of course I go abort am without question. And the funny thing is that those who will mercilessly criticize and demonize you for doing that abortion go do the most in insulting and taking advantage of that child if you born am.

Nigeria is bleeped up beyond redemption and already very hard for Normal citizens. Then imagine how hard it is for the disabled.

Damn straight! Nigerians are hypocrites.

8 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2021
bigjackass:
If you were the child in question won't you wish you were aborted, than live an almost meaningless life

What makes your life more meaningful?
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by sisisioge: 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2021
It is well....there is no guarantee that I will always be around to protect the child so I honestly would discontinue the pregnancy. If I were 18yrs, maybe. May God help me o.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

How do you know you would despise this child?

I was always saying that I can't bring a child with down syndrome to this world. When I was pregnant, I did the test to check if the child had the syndrome. You can't take the test until after the first trimester or until the end of the first trimester (I don't remember exactly). It was only then that I realized that it is easy to say such things before your child has been conceived. When I was waiting on the result, I realized that I can't abort my child no matter what.

By the time the test is done, your baby looks like a baby, with arms, legs, a heart and everything else. It's still very small but it looks human and it's yours.

6 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:21pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

It's not really about despising them. For me it's just that I can't do anything much to protect and prepare them for this cruel world.

Nigerians are extremely wicked to the disabled and mock, insult, discriminate against them without letup or any provocation of any sort. You should see the looks and muttering they direct to the disabled.

The only way I can have a disabled child is if I can be there 24/7 from morning to night and from school to church. Otherwise, the kind of oppression they go be chopping will make even the devil want to kill himself.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Candidlady: 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2021
This is deep..
iwill terminate it

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

I was always saying that I can't bring a child with down syndrome to this world. When I was pregnant, I did the test to check if the child had the syndrome. You can't take the test until after the first trimester. It was only then that I realized that it is easy to say such things before your child has been conceived. When I was waiting on the result, I realized that I can't abort my child no matter what.

By the time the test is done, your baby looks like a baby, with arms, legs, a heart and everything else. It's still very small but it looks human and it's yours.

Okay sha. When the time comes have the baby and see what's up. You can get away with it in the abload where there are helpful social services, but not in a country like Nigeria.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:23pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

I was always saying that I can't bring a child with down syndrome to this world. When I was pregnant, I did the test to check if the child had the syndrome. You can't take the test until after the first trimester. It was only then that I realized that it is easy to say such things before your child has been conceived. When I was waiting on the result, I realized that I can't abort my child no matter what.

I don't get emotionally attached to things or people easily, irrespective of whatever. You can say I'm heartless (lol). I definitely know I'm gonna despise such child because I am not really good at handling children, especially when such child comes with limitations.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:

It's not really about despising them. For me it's just that I can't do anything much to protect and prepare them for this cruel world.

Nigerians are extremely wicked to the disabled and mock, insult, discriminate against them without letup or any provocation of any sort. You should see the looks and muttering they direct to the disabled.

The only way I can have a disabled child is if I can be there 24/7 from morning to night and from school to church. Otherwise, the kind of oppression they go be chopping will make even the devil want to kill himself.

Well, I don't have patience.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:27pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:

Okay sha. When the time comes have the baby and see what's up. You can get away with it in the abload where there are helpful social services, but not in a country like Nigeria.

It's not like every child in Nigeria is born healthy and yet parents have, raise and love these children.

Anyway, everyone has to make their choices. It's not in my place to take this decision for other people. All I was trying to say is that it is easy to make this decision when you are not pregnant or before your wife conceives.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

Well, I don't have patience.

Lol. Me I love kids but I lack the patience and understanding to care for them. Chances are high I will never have kids and I'm okay with that.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

I don't get emotionally attached to things or people easily, irrespective of whatever. You can say I'm heartless (lol). I definitely know I'm gonna despise such child because I am not really good at handling children, especially when such child comes with limitations.

Ok. Then maybe you shouldn't have children at all?
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:

A society is as good as it treats their weakest. But imagine the same Nigerian society is so very religious. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

It's not like every child in Nigeria is born healthy and yet parents have, raise and love these children.

Anyway, everyone has to make their choices. It's not in my place to take this decision for other people. All I was trying to say is that it is easy to make this decision when you are not pregnant or before your wife conceives.

I will do whatever is necessary to protect my sanity. And if that includes aborting a boatload of kids with down syndrome who would otherwise suffer unnecessarily in this hellhole called Nigeria, then so be it
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

Ok. Then maybe you shouldn't have children at all?

Lol

I think I would, but I really like being in my space. I might actually want people around me now, and next minutes, I wanna be alone.

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

Lol

I think I would, but I really like being in my space. I might actually want people around me now, and next minutes, I wanna be alone.

You have issues. Go away. tongue
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:33pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:

Lol. Me I love kids but I lack the patience and understanding to care for them. Chances are high I will never have kids and I'm okay with that.

Cool, man!

I like when people understand their personality and nature. Sadly, most people would see you as being under a spell for being that way.

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

You have issues. Go away. tongue

grin grin grin

I have a beautiful soul actually.
Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2021
GabrielYulaw:

I will do whatever is necessary to protect my sanity. And if that includes aborting a boatload of kids with down syndrome who would otherwise suffer unnecessarily in this hellhole called Nigeria, then so be it

You'd be dubbed Terminator! grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by Hathor5(f): 7:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
NarcissistKing:

grin grin grin

I have a beautiful soul actually.

I will ask my oracle about it. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by NarcissistKing(m): 7:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hathor5:

I will ask my oracle about it. cheesy

Lol

Oracle that's just gonna do a guess game.

1 Like

Re: Would You Abort A Kid With Down Syndrome? Why And Why Not. by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2021
I don't even understand. Like why is such a topic even up for debate?

Are we talking about the same kids with Down syndrome that I have never seen or heard people except their immediate family say good things about? The same kids who get regularly mocked and insulted by people they are far older than.

It's been 15 years at least but I still remember a roughly 20-year old boy with this condition being mocked by a boy of 5-7 years. The Down syndrome boy chased the little boy home to report his misdeeds to his parents. It was sad asf.

Why are we debating this please? If you feel you can't abort a kid with Down syndrome that's okay. Just be aware of the lifelong cross you are carrying.
And be very aware that the kid will need care all their life and be passed on to one of your other kids or relatives to take care of. And be aware that the said relatives or siblings might not share the love you have for your kid with Down syndrome and might physically, sexually and emotionally assault them.

I've come in contact with quite a few kids with Down syndrome and they can be really cute and seem reasonably happy. But they didn't sign up to the never-ending degradation and oppression that almost everyone they meet subjects them to.
I don't feel it's fair for them to make them go through such pain and suffering when they could have just been aborted.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Marriage Who Should Be Your Next Of Kin / Should Parents Choose The Spouse Of Their Children? / I Miss Him!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.