Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,382 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council (2291 Views)

Are Edo People Tilting Towards Olumide Akpata Already? / Nigeria Is At The Point Of No Return — US / BREAK-UP: US COUNCIL’S DOOMSDAY PREDICTION LOOMS - VANGUARD NEWS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by GodHatesBigots(m): 3:58am On Nov 22, 2021
….Says country is in its last phase

The United States Council on Foreign Relations and the Harvard Kennedy School, yesterday, warned that Nigeria is moving from a failing State to the point-of-no-return under President Muhammadu Buhari, having shown all the signs of a failed nation.

The organisation, which made the disclosure in a research finding it released through its senior fellow and former US Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell and the founding Director, Harvard Kennedy School’s Programme on Intrastate Conflict and President Emeritus, World Peace Foundation, Robert Rotberg, said Nigeria is currently in its final phase, from which it would eventually collapse.

The organisation further stated that their position was not based on emotion or the fancy of using pejorative words to describe the situation, but on “a body of political theory developed at the turn of this century and elaborated upon, case-by-case, ever since”.

Its report, published on foreignpolicy.com on Thursday, said Nigeria has since moved from being a weak State to “a fully failed State,” having manifested all the signs of a failed country, including the inability of the government to protect the citizens, large-scale violence and festering insurgency.

According to them, President Muhammadu Buhari admitting that the Federal Government has lost control of the situation is the first step towards the restoration of stability, warning that Nigeria’s failure as a State comes with negative consequences for peace and security in the West African sub-region as well as Europe and the US.

The report further stated: “There are four kinds of nations: the strong, the weak, the failed, and the collapsed. According to previously published research estimates, of the 193 members of the United Nations, (UN), 60 or 70 are strong— the nations that rank highest in the listings of Freedom House, the human rights reports of the U. S. State Department, the anti corruption perception indices of Transparency International, and so on.

“There are three places that should be considered collapsed: Somalia, South Sudan, and Yemen. Eighty or 90 U.N. members are weak. Weakness consists of providing many, but not all, of essential public goods, the most important of which are security and safety. If citizens are not secure from harm within national borders, governments cannot deliver good governance (the essential services that citizens expect) to their constituents.

“All failed States harbor some form of violent internal strife, such as civil war or insurgency. Nigeria now confronts six or more internal insurrections and the inability of the Nigerian State to provide peace and stability to its people has tipped a hitherto very weak State into failure. According to political theory, the government’s inability to thwart the Boko Haram insurgency is enough to diagnose Nigeria as a failed State; but there are many more symptoms. At a bare minimum, citizens expect their States to keep them secure from external attack and to keep them safe within their borders”.

“Nigeria now appears to have reached the point of no return. Indeed, few parts of Nigeria are today fully safe”, the report added.

https://www.voiceoflibertyng.com/state-of-the-nation-nigeria-tilting-from-failed-state-to-point-of-no-return-us-council/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by complexBoss12: 4:07am On Nov 22, 2021
undecided

I just wonder what made God create a man like Buhari! everywhere he goes, every time he rules, pain and suffering follows.

Only in the eyes BMC crew and APC members is Nigeria moving in the right direction.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by richmanrichard: 4:10am On Nov 22, 2021
vulture griller, helinues d short devil, i love dem folish, lovenorth d sabon garri w
..hore and d rest bmc, what rubbish do you ve to say?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by TooMuchStuff: 4:11am On Nov 22, 2021
Wallahi.....! Nigeria don cast
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by SmartPolician: 4:14am On Nov 22, 2021
Even though he was a one-time US ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell ought to understand the Nigeria's situation better. Sadly, he rarely uses good words to describe the country's morass.

Like the report stated, the failure of Nigeria will have a catastrophic impact on the entire sub-Sahara Africa and the rest of the world. Which country can absorb about 200 million people?

If we really had a legislature who cared about the country, they would have removed Buhari a long time ago to save the shithole from an impending collapse. But then, like I always say, we have a country of hypocrites, opportunists and fraudsters.

Point of no return sounds funny though grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Aufbauh(m): 4:15am On Nov 22, 2021
The doomsday Analysts are on it again.
They told us that Nigeria won't survived 2015 but we're in 2021 already.

These people failed to realized that Nigeria is a peculiar country whose future occurrences & fate cannot be fortold by mere random research or known precedent.
Even 28 years ago I was taught in Economics class that Nigeria does not align with any predictable economic principle.

My advice to Nigerians is to buckle up & make the best out of the situation. If you're one of those hoping & hinging your prosperity on a divided Nigeria then, I'm sorry to say that you may die as a poor Nigerian.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by richmanrichard: 4:17am On Nov 22, 2021
SmartPolician:
Even though he was a one-time US ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell ought to understand the Nigeria's situation better. Sadly, he rarely uses good words to describe the country's morass.

Like the report stated, the failure of Nigeria will have a catastrophic impact on the entire sub-Sahara Africa subregion and the rest of the world. Which country can absorb about 200 million people?

If we really had a legislature who cares about the country, they would have removed Buhari a long time ago. But then, like I always say, we have a country of hypocrites, opportunists and fraudsters. Point of no return sounds funny though grin
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by onumadu: 4:23am On Nov 22, 2021
Bandits block Abuja-Kaduna Road, abduct travellers

By Ibrahim Hassan-Wuyo

Bandits have reportedly, returned to the Abuja-Kaduna highway on Sunday, and allegedly abducted some travellers.

Although the Police Public Relations Officer in Kaduna could not be reached on inquiry, locals near Katari village told journalists that at about 2 pm, the bandits wielding dangerous weapons blocked the Abuja-Kaduna highway for over 60 minutes and went away with some travellers.

Some travellers recounted their ordeal, saying ” when we heard gun shots we quickly made a u -turn until after 2 hours when the the bandits left that we continued our journey. “

” On our way we saw over ten cars empty. The occupants might have been kidnapped or were able to run into the nearby forests ,for their lives,” they said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/11/bandits-block-abuja-kaduna-roadabduct-travellers/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by kettykin: 4:25am On Nov 22, 2021
so John Campbell has now joined the wailing wailers , ipob , team.

my take is that the creator of the word wailing wailers should be one of those responsible for the sorry state of Nigeria , people never took counsel or critisim from those who called them out when the country was getting it wrong.

Today those who were called wailing wailers will now be hailed as the true patriots of Nigeria while the likes of Femi Adesina, Lai mohammed etc are the false patriots who never told buhari the truth but scoffed at the people who warned buhari from afar
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Niorte: 4:32am On Nov 22, 2021
Though some many people are giving up on Nigeria on a daily basis but some of us still hopes that there will be a wind of change someday. I know Nigeria will receive true dividend of democracy some day. The night comes before the day. Do not lose faith, we will get there.

In this challenging economy, the best you can do is boost your income by engaging in other profit making business. I suggest you visit https://7starplans.com to learn more
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by SmartPolician: 4:35am On Nov 22, 2021
richmanrichard:
first e eeediotuuu has spoken.next zommmmbie pls

I guess my comment was too complicated for your cognitive capacity. Little wonder you responded in brazen folly.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Validated: 4:40am On Nov 22, 2021
My prediction of FGN reply "US Council is an unrecognized and is only seeking relevance" - Lai Muhammad
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by richmanrichard: 4:41am On Nov 22, 2021
SmartPolician:

I guess my comment was too complicated for your cognitive capacity. Little wonder you responded in brazen folly.
if you are wise as you claim u wud know his country(u
.s) has more population than urs and they are coping well.
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Rugaria: 4:44am On Nov 22, 2021
The country will first implode before exploding..
Buhari has a very prehistoric- medieval mindset when it comes to running a country.
He's looking for slaves.
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by helinues: 4:45am On Nov 22, 2021
We have been hearing this Bunkum, it don tey

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Nobody: 4:47am On Nov 22, 2021
Aufbauh:

These people failed to realized that Nigeria is a peculiar country whose future occurrences & fate cannot be fortold by mere random research or known precedent.
Even 28 years ago I was taught in Economics class that Nigeria does not align with any predictable economic principle.

My advice to Nigerians is to buckle up & make the best out of the situation. If you're one of those hoping & hinging your prosperity on a divided Nigeria then, I'm sorry to say that you may die as a poor Nigerian.

They also failed to realize that Nigeria is not a country but a Planet of its own grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by dasparrow: 4:48am On Nov 22, 2021
I am not surprised by this findings. The handwriting is on the wall. Nigeria which way?
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by djflexcy: 4:49am On Nov 22, 2021
Seriously!
All thanks to Mr President, what Buhari can not do does not exist
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Mossadd: 4:51am On Nov 22, 2021
helinues:
We have been hearing this Bunkum, it don tey
minister of bunkum, I know your brain will say otherwise ZONE B
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by helinues: 4:52am On Nov 22, 2021
Mossadd:
minister of bunkum, I know your brain will say otherwise ZONE B

Typical chronic wailer
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Fejoku: 4:54am On Nov 22, 2021
Aufbauh:

Watch as Nigeria slides to total chaos and eventual disintegration. I only pity those leaders who don't plan for the survival of their region by that time. The situation in neighbouring countries should tell you that influx of weapons into this shithole can never be stopped and we all know its consequences. We also know that justice is alien to the Nigerian psyche so the end result of the cocktail of the numerous societal malaise will be total collapse (chaos).
Continue wishing against informed projections. It is typically Nigerian to do so.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Aufbauh(m): 4:56am On Nov 22, 2021
byrron:

They also failed to realize that Nigeria is not a country but a Planet of its own grin grin

If they are so omniscient as some of you regard them, maybe they won't have wasted their time and resources in Afghanistan.

They could have predicted 9/11 or avoided their previous needless wars that they spent so much on looking out for phantom nuclear weapons.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Mossadd: 4:57am On Nov 22, 2021
Anybody with a functioning brain will knows that Nigeria has collapsed already because its obvious govt have lost the battle to Insecurity it will be very difficult if not impossible for any president to resurrect this collapsed nation
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Rugaria: 5:01am On Nov 22, 2021
Aufbauh:

Are we really in 2021?
Seems like you are living under a rock. Hundreds are dying everyday. Fulani Herdsmen, Boko Haram, ISWAP are now so grounded and embedded with the beneral populace...Basic infastructure have collapsed in most partsnof the country. Generals are getting killed in basic firefights. Many barracks are almost empty as soldiers are now earning their pay with blood. Yet, The state can not impose it's will in most remote areas of the country. Inflation is at all times high. Soldiers are deployed in almost every state of the federation. Country is borrowing massively to do the basics like paying civil servants and maintaining ordinary recurrent expenditures... Theses days, loyalties across board now rests with "seccesionist" leaders and religious mullahs!
And you say you are in what? 2021?? Hello!?!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Mossadd: 5:04am On Nov 22, 2021
richmanrichard:
what does US population has to do with the issue of your collapsed country?did you even read the report at all or you just choose to ignored your brain when you typed this trash?
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Nobody: 5:09am On Nov 22, 2021
Nigeria has already failed. We are waiting for it to be finally buried and all component parts to go on and build their own dream countries. Let the North have their long sought after sharia state, the East can enjoy their own Christian state and the west can do as they wish.
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by JavaScript90: 5:11am On Nov 22, 2021
nigeria is finished
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by endsarrrs(f): 5:11am On Nov 22, 2021
Made worse by Presidnt buhari's incompetence and the apparent threat he poses to Nigerians Unity & also to democracy. One might say the real question isn't whether Nigeria is a failed state, but how we can pull ourselves out of the muck before it is too late to that 'point of no return'. I hope not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by Aufbauh(m): 5:14am On Nov 22, 2021
Rugaria:

Are we really in 2021?
Seems like you are living under a rock. Hundreds are dying everyday. Fulani Herdsmen, Boko Haram, ISWAP are now so grounded and embedded with the beneral populace...Basic infastructure have collapsed in most partsnof the country. Generals are getting killed in basic firefights. Many barracks are almost empty as soldiers are now earning their pay with blood. Yet, The state can not impose it's will in most remote areas of the country. Inflation is at all times high. Soldiers are deployed in almost every state of the federation. Country is borrowing massively to do the basics like paying civil servants and maintaining ordinary recurrent expenditures... Theses days, loyalties across board now rests with "seccesionist" leaders and religious mullahs!
And you say you are in what? 2021?? Hello!?!

Kai, today is Nov. 22 2021
Seems some of you guys are weak psychologically or mentally judging by all you just rolled down. These are challenges most countries have faced before they become stabilized.
Those challenges are not out of the blue or insurmountable. Life itself is not a meal pack so challenges are bound to come in different phases of our life.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by helinues: 5:20am On Nov 22, 2021
richmanrichard:

I guess my comment was too complicated for your cognitive capacity.

You probably missed that
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by uBuNiT: 5:26am On Nov 22, 2021
Children from that side(ewed...) will feel bad about this.
Re: Nigeria Tilting From Failed State To Point-of-no-return” – US Council by JAMO84: 5:28am On Nov 22, 2021
Nobody is happy with our State of insecurity, the Nigerian government is doing a lot to tackle the situation. Bandits are being bombarded almost on daily basis.

If these agencies always rely on what they read or heard in the media to arrive at conclusions, they will always end up with a ridiculous report like this. The people of the north east are in best position to give opinion about the situation with Boko Haram. The people of the north west and central can give opinion about bandits.

Even on Nairaland here, it's people in Lagos, Onitsha, Abuja....... that are always analysing Boko Haram. Any research without field survey, data analysis and references is just a piece of thrash.

DEALING WITH CHALLENGES IS NOT FAILURE

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Has Strong Hold In Only 5 States / Reno Omokri: Emaciated Looking Peter Obi Makes Brave Last Ditch Appeal To Voters / Wale Akinterinwa: A Financial Strategist Giant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.