Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos (13758 Views)

Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship / Cement Price Soar In South East / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by NwaNimo1(m): 11:02pm On Nov 22, 2021
Many traders in major markets across Lagos have complained about low patronage, noting that the soaring cost of food items is affecting the sales of commodities, including rice, eggs and many others.

For traders at the popular Ketu market, most prices of food items have escalated in the last few months, thereby diminishing purchasing power with them witnessing low sales return.

One of the traders in the market, Abdullahi Ahmadu, disclosed that a bag of wheat now sells at N17,000, a 21.43 percent jump from N14,000 previous months.

“The prices of items increase every day. If you come to the market tomorrow, you will not get the same price you will get today,” Ahmadu said.

“We don’t know what will happen as we are entering a festive season now. For most of us, we are even looking at how to get more money to buy items and sell during the season.”

Another trader in the market, Mrs. Bunmi Fash explained that the price of local rice (50 kilogrammes), which used to be N20,000 in the first half of the year — rising by 15 percent — increased to N23,000.

“Foreign-made rice (50kg), on the other hand, surged from N25,000 in the first half of the year to N30,000, signifying a 20 percent increase. Also, vegetable oil (25 litres) had a market price of N23,000 but increased to N25,000, up by 8.7 percent.

Mrs. Fash noted that a crate of medium-sized eggs jumped from N1200 to N2000, year-on-year, representing a 67 percent increase.

Further investigation at Daleko Market in Mushin shows that a big basket of tomatoes was N19,000, with a small basket traded for N4500. A 10kg size of semo went from N4800 to N5300, while a bag of corn that used to be between N8000 and N9000 doubled its price to about N19,000 and N22,000.

A bag of groundnuts increased from N48,000 in October to N52,000 in November.

A carton of croaker fish is now N30,000, and a medium-sized frozen chicken (full) rose from N1,700 in October and N1,500 in November 2020 to N2,000 in November.

https://www.blueprint.ng/traders-lament-low-sales-as-food-prices-soar-in-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by obi4eze(m): 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2021
angry
Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by haha20: 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2021
Somehow the children of falling Satan will find a way to attach IPOB or blame Igbos for this.

52 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by NwaNimo1(m): 11:26pm On Nov 22, 2021

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:33pm On Nov 22, 2021
So this Buhari effect is also affecting those that voted massively for him??

I thought it will affect only 5%ters?

Abeg make we do some through back jare

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Baawaa(m): 11:33pm On Nov 22, 2021
Not only traders,everybody is complaining

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Deborah98(f): 11:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
For those doing dorime, doings, levels and detty December remember people like us that don't have anything. Omo anyhow we see am we rough am likedat sad.... We never reach December I'm already panicking,Sha I dey on God.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by dasparrow: 12:15am On Nov 23, 2021
I wonder how people are surviving. I used to remember when a crate of eggs was 500 Naira.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by updatechange(m): 12:16am On Nov 23, 2021
dasparrow:
I wonder how people are surviving. I used to remember when a crate of eggs was 500 Naira

It's a miracle to survive in Nigeria today... Every item in Nigeria now has either doubled or tripled in prices.
Yet we are quite.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by updatechange(m): 12:33am On Nov 23, 2021
No offense, buhari is a nincompoop. He kept making policies that are miserable to logical human beings...
How can you close the southern border while insurgency in the north will not allow farmers to farm and cultivate to the market at the same time hiked the dollars for importers.
Now he is committed to end importation of wheat mind you insurgency is growing rapidly under this government.
Which means there will be no more #100 bread, and the cheapest will be #200, thesame with the likes of noodles, pastas, spaghetti will all rise astronomically.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by PrinceOfLagos: 12:46am On Nov 23, 2021
Una wailing just dey start

Even if price of rice jump to N70k we go buy , we got the grace

If you no get the grace and you still went ahead to vote for APC you're on your own

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Lattop(m): 5:31am On Nov 23, 2021
It's indeed a hard time, Sapa everywhere

BullHari is a disaster

6 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by dokyOloye: 5:32am On Nov 23, 2021
1 million boys loading again grin
Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by bcomputer101: 5:33am On Nov 23, 2021
What Buhari cannot destroy doesn't exist

8 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by RoyalBoutique(m): 5:35am On Nov 23, 2021
Ok

Na now Una just dey wake up?

Good morning o.

Please, in 2023, let's vote another old man, due to sentiments.

Idiats

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by plainol(m): 5:49am On Nov 23, 2021
You wanted Buhari.

You get Buharied.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by adioolayi(m): 5:54am On Nov 23, 2021
..and the government of the day keeps dishing out reduced inflation, economy rebound, post CoVID19 progress and other nonsensical paper statistics that has nothing to do with HOW MUCH WE BUY FOOD ITEMS.

Things are really hard...The prices becoming unbearable...If the poor have nothing to eat...what happens Your guess is as good as mine...The rich should not sleep with their eyes close.

Hunger is a terrible disaster!

4 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by OfficialGaGa(m): 5:58am On Nov 23, 2021
if buhari rule U.S. for one year.... Nigeria and U.S. go dey the same level backwardly....

God have mercy upon us

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Nahunger(m): 6:00am On Nov 23, 2021
Una never see anything

7 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by aljharem(m): 6:03am On Nov 23, 2021
Buhari and his stupid policies. Honestly Nigerians deserve this

3 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by egoldman(m): 6:04am On Nov 23, 2021
No lele, shey , Tinubuadvocate, helinues with other resident zombies will be buying too?

We die here grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by CheedyJ(m): 6:05am On Nov 23, 2021
dasparrow:
I wonder how people are surviving. I used to remember when a crate of eggs was 500 Naira.
It baffles me too oo, how Nigerians keep adjusting & adapting is worth studying..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Onyenna(m): 6:05am On Nov 23, 2021
Country hard oooh!!

Ike gwuru....

1 Like

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by CheedyJ(m): 6:08am On Nov 23, 2021
dokyOloye:
1 million boys loading again grin
Make dem load wello, Nigerians go pour their anger on dem e be like u no sabi say people dey para diz days..

3 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:09am On Nov 23, 2021
Sai Buhari till 2056! Sheybi una vote for am... Na the beginning be this!!

God Bless MNK

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by elpochas: 6:11am On Nov 23, 2021
The thing dey to annoying,prices are increasing everyday,while salaries and bizness profit remain stagnant.Me what i do i just try and cook a quality food once a wk,once its gts finish i eat what eva i see tru out d remaining days of wk.I don tire to dy open new belt hole every week.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by nnekaike(f): 6:21am On Nov 23, 2021
A while back,the large crowd i meet when i go to buy on Fridays/Saturdays is alarming from my meat vendor.

I noticed for some months now,no more crowd even on Saturdays.
A lot of persons can no longer afford MEAT.
How we survive in this country and carry on daily is a mystery,living in this country is hardwork.

12 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by jerrybabasam: 6:21am On Nov 23, 2021
Buhari the greatest disaster ever to happen to Nigeria economy and youth! APChit is demonic

1 Like

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Osiris12: 6:22am On Nov 23, 2021
And if we say our mind now
That jobless Nlpolicewoman go start to dey shake table wey pass am

But God dey sha cry

2 Likes

Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by boom99(m): 6:22am On Nov 23, 2021
No more eggs for now! One need to cut cost na
Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by muheeb01(m): 6:35am On Nov 23, 2021
This is serious.....

Check my signature and my profile for my work and whatsapp numbers
Re: Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 23, 2021
Are they sure it's not because of IPOB SIT AT HOME LAST TWO MONTH?

DID THEY CHECK WELL?

BECAUSE THIS MIGHT BE NNAMDI KANUS FAULT SINCE THAT IPOB SIT AT HOME FOOD IS NO LONGER COMING INTO SOUTH EAST MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR LAGOSIANS BECAUSE IGBOS NOW IMPORT FOOD FROM LAGOS INSTEAD OF IMPORTING SPARE PARTS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Oil Subsidy Is Fiction' - Professor Tam David-West / How Much Can You Earn From Affiliate Marketing? / Segun Agbaje Wins CEO Of The Year In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.