Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship (7132 Views)

Traders Lament Over Low Patronage In Onitsha Market (Photo, Video) / Traders Lament Low Sales As Food Prices Soar In Lagos / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by TajuDEENaMao: 1:19am On Feb 08
Some traders of food items have lamented the worsening state of the country’s economy, which is affecting their business in Magboro, Ibafo and Mowe markets in the Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The traders told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that the sales of food products had fallen due to the hardship in the economy of the country, which has affected the customers purchasing power.

A market woman, Okesofu Hannah, told our correspondent that this phase was unbearable for traders in the local market, as she pleaded with the government to proffer solutions to the harsh economy.

“Sales have not been going smoothly for the past few months. The rice that we bought for N 30,000 is now N 65,000. Government should do something about it, as customers cannot buy garri again because it is now sold at N2000 per paint.

“The government should help us. What we are passing through as traders is unfair. The sales rate of foodstuffs has reduced, and customers who were buying one paint of rice have resorted to one derica. I am begging the government to do something to it, they should find a solution to the worsening economy”, she said.

Another trader, Rashidat Omotayo, said that she had been experiencing difficulty in making sales due to the unfavourable economic situation.

She said, “Customers leave immediately I mention the price of foodstuffs to them. They will say they cannot buy it because it is too costly. Honestly, people feed in hardship, those who eat three square meals have reduced it.

“Some married individuals in office attire will come to my stall to beg for foodstuff because they cannot afford it. I do not have money to buy rice also, as it can only be afforded by the elite.

“I have stopped making sales unlike before. The quantity of goods I buy from the farm has even reduced because I do not have money to purchase more.

“I, myself, also struggle to buy from the farm because they also increased their prices too. What we transport from the farms in Shaki, Igbeya, Kalomo, for N 15,000, is now N22,000, because of the fuel hike”, Omotayo lamented.

A trader, simply identified as Odinachi, hinted that the hike of food prices by traders was due to the challenges involved in trading, and had affected patronage in their market.

“The prices of goods have drastically changed. There is a 90 per cent increase. The goods you used to buy at N10 then are now N90.

“As you can see my shop, is very empty. It used to be filled than this. The sales have dropped. In the same way, it is affecting my customers, it is also affecting me. Most of them come here to buy foodstuff on credit and pay later.

“You buy goods today when you are done selling them, you find out the money you made from the previous sales is not enough to buy other goods. I am tired”, he said.

There has been a drastic rise in the cost of living and prices of food items following the removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government in May 2023 leading to the rise of the fuel price from N186 to above N600 per litre currently.

https://punchng.com/ogun-food-traders-lament-low-sales-blame-economic-hardship/?amp

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Itiskdg121(m): 1:27am On Feb 08
Who voted for Tinubu?

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Bridget95(f): 1:31am On Feb 08
Revolution now !

The cost of everything is getting out of hand.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by DatNiggaDaz: 1:32am On Feb 08
6 months Tinubulation, Ronu lamentations.

Allah Akbar

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Rantingpiglets: 1:37am On Feb 08
They should check the burial Grounds and missing persons bulletin. Human parts can be used for substitues.

IGR in Ogun, must have shifted to IGBO hate and obsession.

Ebi pa wa oooo! grin

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by koondog: 1:40am On Feb 08
Bridget95:
Revolution now !

The cost of everything is getting out of hand.

Go and do your revolution, don't disturb us (SE and SS.)

91 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by OkCornel(m): 1:41am On Feb 08
INEC & the Judiciary. Thank you for bringing us this far.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by PUSSYHOE(m): 2:18am On Feb 08
I still don't understand why Yoruba and hausa are lamenting we both voted him.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by ednut1(m): 2:47am On Feb 08
Come 2027 he will still win

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by makemoneywbsite: 2:49am On Feb 08
The next round of protests would be hashtagges #EBinPawa. Hausa people may translate it. All reasonable Nigerians have given them and Yoruba the go-ahead to protest. Others go siddon dey look. No protest in SE and SS.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by ResidentSnitch(f): 4:27am On Feb 08
Must they protest over every small thing? What do they want the economic maestro in Aso Rock to do? Abeg they should all go back to the farm.

5 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Brendaniel: 6:24am On Feb 08
We warned them about Tinubu, they did not listen....

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by ROTTWEILER007: 6:56am On Feb 08
TajuDEENaMao:

https://punchng.com/ogun-food-traders-lament-low-sales-blame-economic-hardship/?amp
since this inflation, i started eating out. Trust me, it's cheaper!

8 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by MrPOTUS: 6:56am On Feb 08
grin

Election has consequences.

Hunger and suffering have no tribe, religion, skin color, political party.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Parydelegate: 6:56am On Feb 08
Na who get money dy go market to buy food.

If you think Super Eagles will win the this year AFCON...Click Like....otherwise Click Share

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by AMAUCHESKY(m): 6:56am On Feb 08
Smile
funny enough,after new year resolution you are back again struggling with same addiction... I can help you out via my signature
Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Meti99(m): 6:57am On Feb 08
When we were telling people to vote for a young vibrant man who can think straight for Nigeria, some of you used religion and tribalism to keep us shut...
Now you can see .

This old man came back from France few days ago and summoned food security meeting just to buy time because he knows nigerians will soon keep quiet ....

It was this same old man that promised to bring CNG Buses into Nigeria to cushion the effect of cost of transportation due to fuel price increase...
Na February we dey so I, CNG we no see, buses we no see.

Any shortest movement with cab in Abuja is now 800 ..

The old man should just retire and handover to shetima, maybe he'll be better or do what no man has never done by handing over to Peter obi

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by princeabdul(m): 6:57am On Feb 08
This is a very sad moment for Nigerians, very sad. 🙏

1 Like

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Dpharisee: 6:57am On Feb 08
It's a lie, FreestuffsNG please come and give us 2 glasses of propaganda to counter this fake news from Obidients cheesy

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Coolestguy2023: 6:57am On Feb 08
Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by nony43(m): 6:57am On Feb 08
See Una President this kind post no de make NL front page. BAT was a heavy critic of GEJ.

12 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Creamypie(m): 6:58am On Feb 08
APC has taken us back to dark days of 1980s- 1990s

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Lovenorth: 6:58am On Feb 08
No, Yorubas are not feeling the heat

10 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Pareporters: 6:59am On Feb 08
Too bad
Where is the humanity in the hearts of our Leaders.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by ogolemati: 7:01am On Feb 08
cool cool cool cool I personally warn them.if people don't have money to buy food stuff give them for free na.the current government came to steal kill and destroy

5 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by Meti99(m): 7:03am On Feb 08
Give me power give me power...😏
Now dem don carry power give you, you don scatter the little economy wey we dey manage since 1999 with your POVERTY RECREATIVITY DEVELOPMENT

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:07am On Feb 08
There's much hunger in the land

1 Like

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by cjudy(m): 7:12am On Feb 08
Na una turn so stop complaining

Emi Lo kan

Your turn to suffer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by SpatialKing(m): 7:15am On Feb 08
How come South East people aren't lamenting?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Food Traders Lament Low Sales, Blame Economic Hardship by oilyngbati(m): 7:15am On Feb 08
Watch how Ndi developers and obidients will come and say APC are suffering, while they are enjoying.

The people feeling the pain most, are the ones jumping on every thread to remind the president’s supporters of their suffering.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cyber Cafe And Business Centre Thread, Ask Your Questions Here / Africa's Top Producers And Exporters / Toilet Roll/serviette Making Machine Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.