Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? (526 Views)

I Feel Like I'm Being Bullied In My Family / Help, My Child Is Already A GENIUS @ 3! / My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? by AMumAndMore(f): 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2021
Remember when you were younger and parents will tell their kids that if they were being bullied, they should either fight back or forget about crying back home...

Do you think times have changed?

If your child is being bullied now, what would you do?

Remember that Bullying can either be physical, verbal or social, not forgetting cyberbullying and it is not restricted to gender.

What would you do?

As for me o, my own solution is something that most parents may not even consider:

https://amumandmore.com/ways-to-help-a-child-cope-with-bullying/

Re: Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? by MBSpen: 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2021
Well, it would depend on the situation surrounding the bullying. But basically, I'd seek what works best at helping the bully overcome whatever psychological and environmental circumstances responsible for his condition, if possible (bullying is a manifestation of a mental disorder actually), and more importantly, working on my child's mental health to ensure the bullying wouldn't have a devastating effect on him. When there's no problem with his self-image and esteem, he would be able to stand up for himself and put an end to any bullying in his circle. Which, I believe, is the most important thing.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Nov 23, 2021
AMumAndMore:
Remember when you were younger and parents will tell their kids that if they were being bullied, they should either fight back or forget about crying back home...

Do you think times have changed?

If your child is being bullied now, what would you do?

Remember that Bullying can either be physical, verbal or social, not forgetting cyberbullying and it is not restricted to gender.

What would you do?

As for me o, my own solution is something that most parents may not even consider:
I like what my dad did. When I was bullied as a kid, we happened to be out and I saw the kid who bullied me so I pointed him out to my dad. My dad walked with me straight to the boy's house and bullied - words of course - him back. When his parents showed up moments later, the boy was almost sitting his pants at that point and had nothing to tell his own parents. undecided
After that incident, the boy became nicer person in general. undecided

First, it is essential to have your children be as open to telling you there problems as can be. If your child is being bullied and they never inform you of it, there is absolutely nothing you can do to help and catching the problem at the early stages is essential in resolving it. undecided

Second, making kids understand that they are victims in it all is of importance. Bullies tend to attach what they consider to be weaknesses of their prey, and so assuring your kids that what they think are weaknesses are in fact not is necessary. undecided

1 Like

Re: Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? by AMumAndMore(f): 5:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
I love the way you acknowledge that bullies are also dealing with issues of their own. I read a quote that said, Hurt People hurt people: meaning that it's people that are hurt that turn around to hurt others. Thanks for sharing !

MBSpen:
Well, it would depend on the situation surrounding the bullying. But basically, I'd seek what works best at helping the bully overcome whatever psychological and environmental circumstances responsible for his condition, if possible (bullying is a manifestation of a mental disorder actually), and more importantly, working on my child's mental health to ensure the bullying wouldn't have a devastating effect on him. When there's no problem with his self-image and esteem, he would be able to stand up for himself and put an end to any bullying in his circle. Which, I believe, is the most important thing.
Re: Help! What Would You Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied? by AMumAndMore(f): 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2021
Lol! Your dad should consider joining the Avengers grin

I agree that parents should create enabling environments for their children to open up to the,. You can't solve a problem you don't know exists. Thanks for sharing !

Kobojunkie:
I like what my dad did. When I was bullied as a kid, we happened to be out and I saw the kid who bullied me so I pointed him out to my dad. My dad walked with me straight to the boy's house and bullied - words of course - him back. When his parents showed up moments later, the boy was almost sitting his pants at that point and had nothing to tell his own parents. undecided
After that incident, the boy became nicer person in general. undecided

First, it is essential to have your children be as open to telling you there problems as can be. If your child is being bullied and they never inform you of it, there is absolutely nothing you can do to help and catching the problem at the early stages is essential in resolving it. undecided

Second, making kids understand that they are victims in it all is of importance. Bullies tend to attach what they consider to be weaknesses of their prey, and so assuring your kids that what they think are weaknesses are in fact not is necessary. undecided

(1) (Reply)

10 Signs You've Found The Woman You Should Marry / Toks 2010 Toyota Camry Xle 07049415623 / Nice And Well Package Pap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.