Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 (4150 Views)

BTEL Becomes Nigeria’s Newest Entrant To Compete With MTN, Glo As Mobile Network / Xiaomi Launches In Africa To Compete Against Tecno, Itel And Infinix / 9 mobile Dissed Glo in New Advert. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Flamees(m): 7:26pm On Nov 23, 2021
American billionaire, Elon Musk, still has his sight on Nigeria, as his internet company, Starlink, will debut in the country next year, a statement from the network provider shows.

Recall representatives of Starlink, which is a subsidiary of SpaceX, had visit Nigeria in May this year, to hold discussions with members of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

The meeting reportedly centred around the operation plan and license of Starlink in the telecoms market in Nigeria, as Musk’s company aims to provide internet service to five percent of the world’s population, which includes Africa’s largest economy.

Findings by Ripples Nigeria disclosed that Starlink has a timeframe of late 2022 to start operation, but the company said its deployment is subject to regulatory approval.

“Starlink expects to expand service in your area by late 2022. Availability is subject to regulatory approval. Within each coverage area, orders are fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.” the company statement reads.

The company has launched 1,500 satellite, spending between $5 billion and $10 billion to support its 5 percent global coverage plan, but the service is still expected to cost $20 billion or $30 billion according to estimate.

It was gathered that there are 69,000 active Starlink users, but subscriber base is projected to hit half a million by next year, according to the American billionaire.

Starlink will be debuting in a market where MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile compete for subscribers struggling to balance high cost of living and falling purchasing power induced by double-digit inflation, unemployment rise and underpaid jobs.
Lalasticlala
https://www.ripplesnigeria.com/elon-musks-starlink-to-compete-against-mtn-glo-in-nigeria-by-2022/?amp

8 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Solsix(m): 7:47pm On Nov 23, 2021
If they make data cheaper, they are welcome

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Bewiseedet(m): 8:07pm On Nov 23, 2021
Elon and his team are doing well, imagine conquering the US and venturing into Africa. Employment loading

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Bayaar02(m): 8:19pm On Nov 23, 2021
But na Sunday dare and amaju pinnick dey d pics na.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by bobbybrown007: 8:23pm On Nov 23, 2021
Abeg, let them be better than mtn and glo, if its cheaper i will go for it then leave my glo

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Ryda(m): 8:48pm On Nov 23, 2021
They should please do.
Imagine begging Airtel customer care to help stabilize the fluctuating network on my sim even when I have active data plan.

Modified I'm ready to port my sim as long as they'll give me peace of mind.

Airtel disrupted my zoom meeting on Monday. Someone even offered to sub me thinking I exhausted my data angry

I don suffer for Airtel hand too much!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by jeph19(m): 8:58pm On Nov 23, 2021
Porting loading...

6 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by foxxydude: 9:09pm On Nov 23, 2021
what is the NFF chairman doing in the meeting shocked

2 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Olayoo: 9:27pm On Nov 23, 2021
How will the Nigerians network providers respond to this. Let me guess. They'll gather together and report the issue to F.G to kick them out. Because speaking logically I see no way I won't use the WiFi.

11 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by heyhey2016: 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2021
holy holy holy nnamdi KANU and elon musk is another saviour...

3 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by TheWolfen(m): 9:58pm On Nov 23, 2021
Anything to reduce the prize of data is welcome

2 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by CSTRR: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2021
Olayoo:
How will the Nigerians network providers respond to this. Let me guess. They'll gather together and report the issue to F.G to kick them out. Because speaking logically I see no way I won't use the WiFi.
It's going to be low orbit sattelite.

It does not need govt approval.

Citizens themselves will get the equipments and connect to it.

That is how it is supposed to work.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2021
Flamees:
American billionaire, Elon Musk, still has his sight on Nigeria, as his internet company, Starlink, will debut in the country next year, a statement from the network provider shows.

Recall representatives of Starlink, which is a subsidiary of SpaceX, had visit Nigeria in May this year, to hold discussions with members of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

The meeting reportedly centred around the operation plan and license of Starlink in the telecoms market in Nigeria, as Musk’s company aims to provide internet service to five percent of the world’s population, which includes Africa’s largest economy.

Findings by Ripples Nigeria disclosed that Starlink has a timeframe of late 2022 to start operation, but the company said its deployment is subject to regulatory approval.

“Starlink expects to expand service in your area by late 2022. Availability is subject to regulatory approval. Within each coverage area, orders are fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.” the company statement reads.

The company has launched 1,500 satellite, spending between $5 billion and $10 billion to support its 5 percent global coverage plan, but the service is still expected to cost $20 billion or $30 billion according to estimate.

It was gathered that there are 69,000 active Starlink users, but subscriber base is projected to hit half a million by next year, according to the American billionaire.

Starlink will be debuting in a market where MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile compete for subscribers struggling to balance high cost of living and falling purchasing power induced by double-digit inflation, unemployment rise and underpaid jobs.
Lalasticlala
https://www.ripplesnigeria.com/elon-musks-starlink-to-compete-against-mtn-glo-in-nigeria-by-2022/?amp
anything from elon musk is goodnews for me.

4 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Ideyontop: 10:20pm On Nov 23, 2021
OP change your picture abeg

2 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Bunmhi(f): 10:21pm On Nov 23, 2021
They are welcome
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by EmpressOVD: 10:30pm On Nov 23, 2021
Nice one! This will make others sit up in their services �

Flamees:

Recall representatives of Starlink, which is a subsidiary of SpaceX, had visit Nigeria in May this year, to hold discussions with members of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NC

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by sapientia(m): 11:14pm On Nov 23, 2021
No way it can get to Nigeria by next year
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by puppie017: 11:21pm On Nov 23, 2021
Solsix:
If they make data cheaper, they are welcome
Gat you bro

2 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by vicfajeze: 11:51pm On Nov 23, 2021
Olayoo:
Like what DSTV did to TSTV
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Mybetpicks: 1:00am On Nov 24, 2021
thought they said this year end. i already made a deposit for this

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by wonlasewonimi: 2:47am On Nov 24, 2021
This is a game chager. You can have internet connectivity in any remote area as starlink receive signals from space.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by tellsblinks(m): 4:38am On Nov 24, 2021
vicfajeze:
Like what DSTV did to TSTV

The difference is that elon has influence and has money! He might even buy globacom(Nigeria owned ISP then use there licences to operate)

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by femi4: 5:30am On Nov 24, 2021
Sunday dare and pinnick dey the attachment
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by bioemmy: 6:31am On Nov 24, 2021
They will quickly beat Glo and Etisalat in my area. They are welcome jare... Competition makes things cheaper. MTN has been the master for so long... We need healthy rivalry.. Glo and Etisalat no follow at all.. Airtel spends more on advert than sinking cables and improving their network

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Ishilove: 7:03am On Nov 24, 2021
Is that not Amaju Pinnick in the photo? What concerns him with Elon Musk? undecided
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by tunde548: 7:48am On Nov 24, 2021
Good news.. mtn needs a better competitor
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by freshkpomo(m): 8:11am On Nov 24, 2021
They should put a white man in charge of this project firm start to finish, and should be managed by a white man once it starts running. I have e noticed that there is always a big difference between a company managed by a white man and that manged by a black.

If white manage things,no nepotism, padi padi things, no corruption cos if you steal bolt or nut Na better sack for you. I know someone who was sack for taking remnant for dog without permission. It sounds harsh, but I realised it the best way to curb Nigerians of greed, because so many Nigerians when given the opportunity see stealing as Favour lr blessing in disguise and they will be like "Fast guy nor be thief ".

NB: When I mean white, I am not talking about Asians cos those guys na black men in white skin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Goddyj(m): 8:13am On Nov 24, 2021
It surprises me when Nigerians complain that data is expensive when you can buy 1gb for 300 and 5gb for 1400 angry
check my signature
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by RealAdewole(m): 8:20am On Nov 24, 2021
Let us cross our arms and legs and wait and see how nigeria policy and the big guns will frustrate this
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by iamyemiakins(m): 8:21am On Nov 24, 2021
Food don land for FG, another tax venture to zap!

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by siofra(f): 8:34am On Nov 24, 2021
Ryda:
They should please do.
Imagine begging Airtel customer care to help stabilize the fluctuating network on my sim even when I have active data plan.

You sabi

I still can't believe I beg for a stable internet connection. Something I'm paying for o cry
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink To Compete Against MTN, Glo In Nigeria By 2022 by Flamees(m): 10:04am On Nov 24, 2021
Ryda:
They should please do.

grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Here Are The Droids Confirmed To Get 5.0 Lollipop So Far / Tecno Spark 5 Air With 7" Screen And 5000mah Battery: Check Out Specs And Price / Five Reasons Why I Love The New Itel S31

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.