Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? (4888 Views)

What Are The Most Useless Courses In Nigeria? / What Is The Most Useless Certificate You Have Ever Gotten? / What Is The Most Useless Subject You Studied In Your Undergraduate Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by TundeWX: 10:13am On Nov 25, 2021
Ekpekus:

University degree is a door opener to world of possibilities... you see that abroad so, University certifications helps as it is platform to launch.
Learnt the hard way when I migrated,thought my degrees (BTech,MTech) will ease the way....had to restart all over in a totally different field..so sad what's going on here in Nigeria, with a basic diploma in US ur very okay...which is equivalent to our OND here
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by Bunmhi(f): 10:42am On Nov 25, 2021
I agree with you grin
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by Enskynelson(m): 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2021
juniorstar:

The end justifies the means...you need one to get the next one..
It is a rip off. I simple promotion exam will do. In my time, I wrote junior NECO. We paid to get registered aside the normal term school fees.
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by Enskynelson(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2021
backbencher:

Junior WAEC is used to judge whether you would be suitable for a career in the sciences, arts, commerce, or social sciences.

Allow me to explain

From SS1, you begin to think of the subject you would read in university, and the scores you get in Junior WAEC and your continuous assessment throughout JSS would help your guidance counsellor, teachers, and even parents and you decide whether you would be a science, arts, commercial or social science student in Senior secondary level...and by extension determine your subject choices at WASSCE and JAMB level and by extension, what you will do at university.

Also if you are transferring to SS1 in a new school, your junior WAEC scores helps the new school place you academically...

In brief, your Junior WAEC is the first step of your university entrance exams.
You raised salient points however, can this not be determined by an internally conducted exams where students don't have to pay another registration money aside the school fees for the term?
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 25, 2021
Enskynelson:

You raised salient points however, can this not be determined by an internally conducted exams where students don't have to pay another registration money aside the school fees for the term?

Nope....because many schools cheat. And many parents too cheat. (A parent could bribe the school to give his son high marks in integrated science simply because he wants his son to read science...meanwhile son wants to read arts.).

Better a test conducted by a neutral body that is standardized across all schools.(At least the school can use the low scores in interscience at junior waec to justify to the parents why their son should read arts in our above scenario)

Also, not everyone does his SSS at the same school they did their JSS . So if someone was transferring to a different school at the end of JSS3, the best way that the new school can judge the academic capability of their new student (IN ADDTION to their admission tests) is the junior WAEC score . (That's what happened to a relative of mine back when she was young and was transferring schools after JSS3). not their school results that might have been buffered.
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by Enskynelson(m): 6:53pm On Nov 25, 2021
backbencher:

Nope....because many schools cheat. And many parents too cheat. (A parent could bribe the school to give his son high marks in integrated science simply because he wants his son to read science...meanwhile son wants to read arts.).

Better a test conducted by a neutral body that is standardized across all schools.(At least the school can use the low scores in interscience at junior waec to justify to the parents why their son should read arts in our above scenario)

Also, not everyone does his SSS at the same school they did their JSS . So if someone was transferring to a different school at the end of JSS3, the best way that the new school can judge the academic capability of their new student (IN ADDTION to their admission tests) is the junior WAEC score . (That's what happened to a relative of mine back when she was young and was transferring schools after JSS3). not their school results that might have been buffered.
Nice points.
But these days, with the present private schools, I really don't need any of that before choosing Science, Arts or Commercial. In fact, I can easily go to any private school and get my ward to SS1 without presenting any of that. However, you really presented a good argument on your part with strong points.
Re: The Most Useless Certificate In Nigeria? by samtol4(m): 3:31am On Nov 26, 2021
TundeWX:
University degree....its until u leave the shores of this country u realise how worthless it is.....lest I forget,the average gala hawker earns more than the average degree holder in the present clime
This is a fallacious statement. Nigerian certificates are helpful abroad. Don't allow self-deception and ignorance to swallow you. Although though some disciplines, especially in sciences, may need some practicals to meet up particular standards, it is erroneous for you to say certificates become worthless. No matter the condition of the Nigerian educational system, many overseas countries respect and accept Nigerian certificates. Years back, I worked outside Nigeria with my masters certificate from Unilag .

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Vs Students Epic Battle On Twitter. / Postgraduate Programme In Lautech / Man Gives $50m Scholarship To Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.