Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. (249 Views)

Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by dragonflyy(m): 1:46pm On Nov 25, 2021
1. I was once a Christian.
2. I am now an atheist.
3. If religious belief is a choice there must have been a point where I, as a Christian, chose to become an atheist.
4. A Christian would never choose to doom himself to eternal Hell by becoming an atheist.
5. Therefore religious belief is not a choice.

1 Like

Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by Ammishaddai: 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2021
No one is sending you to eternal Hell ; you can only send yourself there based on your choice to remain in sin. Remember, people don't go hell because they didn't accept Jesus ; they go to hell because they sinned .

1 Like

Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by Rorschach1(m): 2:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
Your argument is flawed. You are a living example that a Christian Would do the very thing you say a Christian would never do.

We choose what to believe in. If we didn't have this choice, free will would not exist.
Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by AshleyDeVilla(f): 2:13pm On Nov 25, 2021
dragonflyy:
2. I am now an atheist.
Same here. Congratulations.

If religious belief is a choice there must have been a point where I, as a Christian, chose to become an atheist.

Yes. For me it was a specific church service at age 13.

A Christian would never choose to doom himself to eternal Hell by becoming an atheist.
As someone who chose to become an atheist, I automatically stopped believing in Hell, thereby preventing such a scenario.

Therefore religious belief is not a choice.
It would seem as though your entire argument hinges on point 4. And as I said previously, if you don't believe in Hell, you aren't dooming yourself to be subjected to it. Unless you believe the Bible that is, which you wouldn't - because you are an atheist. Having said that, I do believe indoctrination is not a choice, and you will almost certainly have the same religion as your parents until you are at least a teenager. Once you are free to think for yourself, you are free to change that religion. And personally I find that very liberating!

1 Like

Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by AshleyDeVilla(f): 2:21pm On Nov 25, 2021
Also, it's interesting seeing this argument being made by an atheist. I think theists have long argued that theism isn't a choice (specific religious belief, on the other hand, is a choice). As someone from a science background, I could argue that our neurobiology predisposes us to certain schema, which in turn predisposes us to certain beliefs.
Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by nyarlathotep(m): 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2021
Rorschach1:
Your argument is flawed. You are a living example that a Christian Would do the very thing you say a Christian would never do.

We choose what to believe in. If we didn't have this choice, free will would not exist.
Exactly. They will still find a way to twist it though. I went on a journey to prove to myself it was real. And no doubt it is. I'm glad I did that and had doubts. This is real. And it brings me peace but it's still a wow on my end. People who are blind can't see so that's why you can't say a thing to them. They will also twist every amount of evidence out there. I don't entertain it nor do I push myself on anyone. People do notice the difference in me. That's Christ, not me.

1 Like

Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by hopefulLandlord: 9:02pm On Nov 25, 2021
dragonflyy:
2. I am now an atheist.
3. If religious belief is a choice there must have been a point where I, as a Christian, chose to become an atheist.
4. A Christian would never choose to doom himself to eternal Hell by becoming an atheist.
I don't seem to understand what you're trying to say here
Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by Kobojunkie: 9:26pm On Nov 25, 2021
dragonflyy:
2. I am now an atheist.
So.... where is the proof you speak of? undecided

All this here reveals is that like a majority out there, you are not really intouch with your mind and how it processes these things, even God issues. undecided
Re: Simple Proof That Religious Belief Is Not A Choice. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2021
Incoherence

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is There Someone You Need To Forgive? / 10 Ways To Be A Good Friend / What If This Happens To U?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.