Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views (50581 Views)

Aisha Yesufu: We Should Learn To Be Comfortable With Divorce / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by mainanalyst: 2:46am On Jan 01, 2019
How Do I Convince My Wife?

Hi everyone, I will try not to make this post a lengthy one.

I was born into a Muslim family and raised as a muslim. My wife met me as a practicing Muslim way back 2005 when we were both undergraduate in one of Nigeria's federal Universities. Recently, i started losing interest in religion, started seeing it as a source of division among humans ( like Muslims attacking Christians and vice versa). The idea of people burning in hell and some people enjoying in paradise makes no sense to me if God is really loving as claimed by theists.

But my wife is not comfortable with my religious views, infact she has started seeing me as hellbound ( don't blame her though, a true Muslim hardly marry from other religions talkless of marrying a freethinker like me ). I can see that the love she has for me is gradually reducing simply because I chose not to hold any religious views. I have no problem with her religious views, sometimes when she is far asleep, I will wake her up in the morning to observe her solat.

How do I make her understand that I can be a good husband to her without having any religious beliefs ?
The only thing she reads about are stuffs pertaining to Islam, she hardly read about science or other non religious topics. She is one of the people who believes that no human can be morally upright without having the fear of God or subscribe to religious ideas.

Just of recent, I thought of leaving Nigeria to any western country so as to be able to live my life peacefully without anyone questioning my religious views or tag me as an infidel. But I can't just leave everything behind just because my woman is not comfortable with my religious views and has been quarrelling with me on it.

How do I make her live with me peacefully without her feeling uncomfortable? Has anyone experienced this before ? How did you manage the situation ?

70 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by clive2u(m): 3:08am On Jan 01, 2019
u dnt change someones belief,they change by themselves jst like u did so dnt blame her, jst b true to her.

meanwhile, that ur travelling plans u can make me travel out in ur place, stay with ur wife

144 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 01, 2019
Increase the size of your preek..

The rest will follow.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by mainanalyst: 3:20am On Jan 01, 2019
clive2u:
u dnt change someones belief,they change by themselves jst like u did so dnt blame her, jst b true to her.

meanwhile, that ur travelling plans u can make me travel out in ur place, stay with ur wife
Bro, I am not trying to change her religious views. Why will I even change her beliefs when no one change mine ? I got inspired through reading books, asking questions and being open minded. All I actually want from her is to see me as a free thinker while I see her as a Muslim. I think that should not be difficult to do ? But she is uncomfortable seeing me as irreligious. I really love her and really scared of losing her on religious grounds

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by clive2u(m): 3:25am On Jan 01, 2019
mainanalyst:

Bro, I am not trying to change her religious views? Why will I even change her beliefs when no one changed mine ? I got inspired through reading books, asking questions and being open minded. All I actually want from her is to see me as a free thinker while I see her as a Muslim. I think that should not be difficult to do ? But she is uncomfortable seeing me as irreligious. I really love her and really scared of losing her on religious grounds
give her sme time.

hw abt d travel out part

5 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:30am On Jan 01, 2019
TarOrfeek:

Increase the size of your preek..

The rest will follow.

161 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Les: 5:44am On Jan 01, 2019
Any kids? Just checking out stuff that could tie you down in case you wanna leave.

Yes you might consider leaving for the sake of your life and sanity.

BTW, have you tried knowing Jesus personally?

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by ashjay001(m): 6:32am On Jan 01, 2019
mainanalyst:

I was born into a Muslim family and raised as a muslim. My wife met me as a practicing Muslim way back 2005 when we were both undergraduate in one of Nigeria's federal Universities. Recently, i started losing interest in religion, started seeing it as a source of division among humans ( like Muslims attacking Christians and vice versa). The idea of people burning in hell and some people enjoying in paradise makes no sense to me if God is really loving as claimed by theists.

But my wife is not comfortable with my religious views, infact she has started seeing me as hellbound ( don't blame her though, a true Muslim hardly marry from other religions talkless of marrying a freethinker like me ). I can see that the love she has for me is gradually reducing simply because I chose not to hold any religious views. I have no problem with her religious views, sometimes when she is far asleep, I will wake her up in the morning to observe her solat.

How do I make her understand that I can be a good husband to her without having any religious beliefs ?
The only thing she reads about are stuffs pertaining to Islam, she hardly read about science or other non religious topics. She is one of the people who believes that no human can be morally upright without having the fear of God or subscribe to religious ideas.

Just of recent, I thought of leaving Nigeria to any western country so as to be able to live my life peacefully without anyone questioning my religious views or tag me as an infidel. But I can't just leave everything behind just because my woman is not comfortable with my religious views and has been quarrelling with me on it.

How do I make her live with me peacefully without her feeling uncomfortable? Has anyone experienced this before ? How did you manage the situation ?

Pele.
Beginning of d end.

Ur mistake was marrying a fanatic. They can't unlook!

U no go serve God ke? They can't conceptualize that cry

It's not even abt her being a Muslim.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by ojoj(m): 7:02am On Jan 01, 2019
Dear op,

We all have what we look at in the opposite sex before committing our lives in marriage. I am sure she would have been approached for marriage by other men in other religions. It's like promising one and at the end the peomise is not fulfilled. It's a betrayal...yes you have betrayed your wife! and she will never be happy with you. You have to come back to your religious self. Being atheist happens when one is not involving in religious activities. The reason why you are having a doubt about your religion is that you have ceased in engaging yourself in activites like asalau, listening to positive Islamic talks etc.
For you to come back, please start attending asalat program or look for any of these asalatu on Sundays and start attending, you will see that you will come back to the way she met you and she will be happy with you.
Stop listening to negative Islamic talks. Run away from negative friends. Please make your wife happy. You saw her like that before marrying her. Please don't let her down. All the best.

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Time2Smile(m): 9:26am On Jan 01, 2019
Les:
Any kids? Just checking out stuff that could tie you down in case you wanna leave.

And what has the bold got to do with anything. Didn't you read where he said they are Muslims.? If he is struggling with accepting God existence despite his Islamic background, is it Christianity with its many contradictions, lack of genuine spirituality and excessive focus on worldly material wealth that will provide him clarity?

213 Likes 43 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Chubhie: 9:50am On Jan 01, 2019
Both of you are now on different levels vibrationally. This is all a journey and each of you is in a valid position necessary for their evolution.

Everyone will eventually see through the divisions, deceptions and true intents of religion, politics and money.

Only pull the plug on her when your life feels threatened after she reports you to the brotherhood and a fatwa is placed on your head.

Islam is not that bad tho.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Time2Smile(m): 9:51am On Jan 01, 2019
mainanalyst:

You are being unfair to your wife. This is not what she signed up for. She would probably not have married you if you were in the present state of thinking when you guys met. So it is well within her right to feel disgusted about the present state of affairs.

But OP, how can you lose your faith? Don't you see all the beauty in the world? The orderliness and diversity of creations and animals. Behind every creation is a creator. All of the things in this world and beyond couldn't have come from nothing.
I want you to understand that everything you have and enjoy is a blessing from your God and creator. Your sight, your limbs, your wealth, your very being and existence, the food you eat and enjoy. The thinking faculty you are using to doubt his existence. The love you have for your wife, that special indescribable feeling when you make love to your wife. All these are a blessing to you from him. And they are as real as he is.

And he has only asked one thing from you in return for all these innumerable blessings; That you worship him only and not associate any partner with him. And Allah has also told you how to worship him by sending Prophets to guide you. The last of whom is Prophet Muhammad (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him). And he revealed through his Prophet that whomever reject this guidance and deny all these blessing will be punished. That is the truth, and will always be the truth. And nothing can change the truth.

No amount of free thinking will be accepted as an excuse from you when you meet your Lord. He is the one that created you whether you accept it or not. That fact doesn't change whether you believe or disbelieve in Allah. And he will judge you based on the criteria he has given you and clearly stated. There is no justice in this fleeting life. Verily the final recompense and Justice is with our Lord in the hereafter.

I pray that Allah makes us among the successful ones and die in the state of belief as Muslims.

144 Likes 29 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Les: 9:56am On Jan 01, 2019
Time2Smile:

And what has the bold got to do with anything. Didn't you read where he said they are Muslims.? If he is struggling with accepting God existence despite his Islamic background, is it Christianity with its many contradictions, lack of genuine spirituality and excessive focus on worldly material wealth that will provide him clarity?
that's your opinion, allow him answer!

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by iloputaife: 9:56am On Jan 01, 2019
OP try and live an exemplary life...that is the best way to convince your wife that religion is a complete waste of time

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 01, 2019
Time2Smile:

Oh really,

Its Islam that has no contradictions, with your forced child marriage, terrorism, encouragement of slavery and illiteracy and backwardness and that will provide him clarity?

You must be a potential terrorist yourself.

150 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by loricara: 10:03am On Jan 01, 2019
clive2u:

please give me connection
Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Time2Smile(m): 10:24am On Jan 01, 2019
sexybaby22:

Oh really,

Its Islam that has no contradictions, with your forced child marriage, terrorism, encouragement of slavery and illiteracy and backwardness and that will provide him clarity?

You must be a potential terrorist yourself.
You are so rude and uncouth. The fact that Nairaland is a faceless forum doesn't give you liberty to address people without manners. Stay off my mention because I never quoted you.
This is the only time I will reply you. I have too much dignity to roll in the mud with you.

96 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 01, 2019
Time2Smile:

You are so rude and uncouth. The fact that Nairaland is a faceless forum doesn't give you liberty to address people without manners. Stay off my mention because I never quoted you.
This is the only time I will reply you. I have too much dignity to roll in the mud with you.

Who started the mudslinging?

You can dish out to other religions but you can't take it when it comes back to you abi?

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by mainanalyst: 11:21am On Jan 01, 2019
Les:

Yes, there are kids.
Try to know Jesus ? By reading the book of talking snakes ? Truth is , if most of you take your time to read the contradictions in the holy books of Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christian, Judaism) , you will get to realise that they are just fairy tales.
That's why most developed countries have removed religious subjects from their curriculum and change it with subjects on morality.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by mainanalyst: 11:23am On Jan 01, 2019
ashjay001:

Pele.
Beginning of d end.

Ur mistake was marrying a fanatic. They can't unlook!

U no go serve God ke? They can't conceptualize that cry

It's not even abt her being a Muslim.
Lol, like one must serve God by fire by force. And the same God told them to use their brain and ask questions, now I have used my brain and become a freethinker.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Abdulhakeem78(m): 11:30am On Jan 01, 2019
Mr Op sir! I would like you tell the kinds of books you had read concerning unrealistic aspect of Allah and His Noble Messenger.
The books were also read by others and nothing has happened to their religion. I used to call Socrates because Allah endowed me with the knowledge to understand Socratic method of elenchus. Sir! Let's do some critical reasoning to solve this problem.
A challenge to argue sir!!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by 1x2x3: 11:33am On Jan 01, 2019
mainanalyst:
How Do I Convince My Wife?

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by kareemkamil(m): 11:33am On Jan 01, 2019
Useless post

2 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by Preator: 11:33am On Jan 01, 2019
clive2u:

Lolz

2 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by helinues: 11:34am On Jan 01, 2019
@ op

1. Peace is not certain if you live in the same house
2. Peace is not certain if she is not ready to respect your new belief
3. Peace is not certain if she is not ready to accept your new religion as hers

My observations: You are not sure/certain of your new belief not to talk of convincing others.

6 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by flyca: 11:34am On Jan 01, 2019
It's not gonna be easy because your wife is closed-minded (you made reference to what she reads). So the first thing I suggest is giving her some exposure through different means.

Allow her to see different people's customs and traditions. Different religions, different lifestyles. Widen your scope of friends to freethinkers too, weekend outings should involve visiting their families. With time, she will see that she is not the only wife of a free-thinker. Lol. Let your judgement be based on “right and wrong” and not based on what religious books say. Talk about principles of love, truth, justice, equity, fairness, considering other people's emotions, hardwork etc.

Subscribe to stations that air foreign channels.
Also, you can let her learn traditional dishes from different countries/places: Pakistani or Jamican or Malawian etc from Youtube.

Take her on a one month vacation to China. Lol
Or employ a nanny from a circular nation in your home. There are actually many things to do, na money go kill am.

The whole idea is to let her gradually understand that the world is too colorful with plenty variety outside our own circle. And that there is no one-size-fit-all for the one billion people on planet Earth. With that, she will become more accepting of other people's differences.

NB: Please don't scold her into changing her views. It could lead to more resentment towards you.

In all, please continue to be a loving husband especially this time she is unsure whether or not the devil has stolen your brain cheesy

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by PennywysCares(m): 11:34am On Jan 01, 2019
Ok
Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by mainanalyst: 11:35am On Jan 01, 2019
ojoj:
Dear op,

We all have what we look at in the opposite sex before committing our lives in marriage. I am sure she would have been approached for marriage by other men in other religions. It's like promising one and at the end the peomise is not fulfilled. It's a betrayal...yes you have betrayed your wife! and she will never be happy with you. You have to come back to your religious self. Being atheist happens when one is not involving in religious activities. The reason why you are having a doubt about your religion is that you have ceased in engaging yourself in activites like asalau, listening to positive Islamic talks etc.
For you to come back, please start attending asalat program or look for any of these asalatu on Sundays and start attending, you will see that you will come back to the way she met you and she will be happy with you.
Stop listening to negative Islamic talks. Run away from negative friends. Please make your wife happy. You saw her like that before marrying her. Please don't let her down. All the best.

Lol, I didn't listen to any negative talks about Islam
If you know my level of Faith before, you will know that no amount of negative talks about Islam can changed me.I just stopped losing interest in religions generally due to the division it has created among humans.
Secondly, not everyone has the faith to believe that Allah created the universe but no one created Allah. It's like something came out of nothing.
Additionally,I have asked many Islamic scholars some mind boggling questions and none of them have been able to provide convincing answers. I am not the type of dude that does something just because billions of humans on earth are doing it. In addition, if you truly understand science and see the beauty of science, you will get to know that religions generally are not sufficient enough to provide answers on human creation.

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by talk2hb1(m): 11:35am On Jan 01, 2019
I knew It

Re: My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views by pocohantas(f): 11:36am On Jan 01, 2019
theapeman4:
bitter Truth!

divorce that biitch!

Muslims are way backward in there thinking faculty.

See how this creature insulted someone's wife and a whole religion because he wants to make a point.

And you ain't backward ba?

72 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Things You Should Never Do To Your Wife. / Boy Fights With His Father In Abia For Not Giving Him Money For Food / Help, My Husband Dresses Like An Old Man, I Don't Find Him Sexy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.