Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder (7569 Views)

Last Video Of Chief-Of-Army Staff, Attahiru Visiting Ibadan & Asking For Prayers / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / FFK: Buhari Among Officers That Plotted Killing Of Aguiyi Ironsi 58 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by KoshCAD: 9:13pm On Nov 26, 2021
CaptainAyub:

So Gowon and his fellow northerners successfully carried out a mutiny against a yoruba man in yoruba land? cheesy
No be today grin
Please, allow sensible people discuss.

This is not discussion of group of stupid people.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by CaptainAyub: 9:45pm On Nov 26, 2021
KoshCAD:
Please, allow sensible people discuss.

This is not discussion of group of stupid people.
You are mistaking me 4 ur father oo
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Idiko1: 11:47pm On Nov 26, 2021
Biglittlelois:

As much as I hate to sound tribal here, this write up and the bolded explicitly shows that there is not much difference between Igbos and Hausas/Fulani, preferential treatment and nepotism will always backfire sooner or later, Ironsi didn't see the BIG PICTURE in his choice of placements, and it backfired on him.

Are you this gullible? I requested the previous poster to list 11 out 13 military formations commanded by Igbo in Nigerian army before and after 1966 coups.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Tinubuadvocate: 11:52pm On Nov 26, 2021
Stop masturbating on history you people should stop misleading society ...his vist to ibanda wasn't an official. Dude has caused trouble in the north and he has already declared wanted by northern. His visit to ibandan is to hide from being killed.
NazoTimes:
The Head of State was slated to spend the night at the Government House in Ibadan, as part of his nationwide tour.
His host, Lieutenant Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi, Military Governor of Western Nigeria, alerted him to a possible mutiny within the army. Aguiyi-Ironsi desperately tried to contact his Army Chief of Staff, Yakubu Gowon, but he was unreachable. In the early hours of the morning, the Government House, Ibadan, was surrounded by soldiers led by Theophilus Danjuma.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Idiko1: 11:56pm On Nov 26, 2021
christistruth01:

If Gen Ironsi had not allowed Tribalism to Cloud his Judgement Gen Ogundipe would have had the Infantry Troops and firepower to put down the Northern Coup

Ogundipe was never a brave soldier. He enlisted twice into the army. He cunningly left in 1942 when the war was ragging and re-enlisted when the war was over in 1945. No wonder he took refuge in NNS Nigeria on July 29, 1966 and refused to disembark until he sailed to UK.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Idiko1: 12:03am On Nov 27, 2021
Biglittlelois:

Every comment shouldn't be about tribal bigotry, learn to research on your own for more knowledge, not outrightly dismissing others ignorantly

The list below, how many Igbos can you see there?

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/14598435_coupplotters_jpeg0b91b5e59869cf3d74228ce343f6f2c4

I simply requested for the list of 13 military formations in which 11 were Igbo chaps as the previous poster seemed to have the knowledge before making it public. The pictured you posted neither showed military formations nor the commanders as previous poster had postulated.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by christistruth01: 12:55am On Nov 27, 2021
Idiko1:

Ogundipe was never a brave soldier. He enlisted twice into the army. He cunningly left in 1942 when the war was ragging and re-enlisted when the war was over in 1945. No wonder he took refuge in NNS Nigeria on July 29, 1966 and refused to disembark until he sailed to UK.

That is Wrong Ogundipe fought the 2nd World War to the end and Was even Promoted just before the end of the War to a Machine
Gunner

Gen Everade Welby rated Ogundipe as the Best Officer to head the Army after him

Ogundipe was a quintessential Apolitical Officer he never allowed Politics to interfere with his military responsibilities or Judgement

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Uchek(m): 8:32am On Nov 27, 2021
Totally agree with you

Redcrafton:

Who was competent then to lead Nigeria?

Ogundipe the most senior ran off...

Who should have been the head of state in your reckoning.......tribal man?

How was he going to be prepared when he was trying to hold the country together...as a soldier?

Tell me one Nigeria leader who is compotent..

Even your current starboy is utterly incompetent...

..all he does and says are like...

...Nigeria can be a super power...
...Nigeria can be great in 50 years...
..We can change the economy in 30 years..
..Nigeria should never be poor....
...We will lift 10M Nigerians from poverty in 2030.
...Nigeria will change for good in 6 years...
..bla, bla, bla bla...
He is in government and acting as if he was outside...

Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by KoshCAD: 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
CaptainAyub:

You are mistaking me 4 ur father oo
Nope I am talking to you because you are intellectually daft.

I wouldn't mention your father cos I know he's nobody before.

So no need to add to his uselessness.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by NazoTimes(m): 7:41am On Dec 02, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Stop masturbating on history you people should stop misleading society ...his vist to ibanda wasn't an official. Dude has caused trouble in the north and he has already declared wanted by northern. His visit to ibandan is to hide from being killed.

I wanted to say something but your name discouraged me
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Gireiboy(m): 8:11am On Dec 02, 2021
NazoTimes:

Danjuma arrested Aguiyi-Ironsi and questioned him about his alleged complicity in the coup, which saw the demise of the Sardauna of Sokoto, Ahmadu Bello. The circumstances leading to Aguiyi-Ironsi death still remain a subject of much controversy in Nigeria. His body and that of Fajuyi were later discovered in a nearby forest.
A pay-back for what the did to Tafawa Balewa! "revenge is best served cold".
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Gireiboy(m): 8:35am On Dec 02, 2021
seunmsg:

I am not here to paint Ogundipe with a brush of competence, at least not politically. I have said it earlier that he was a conservative soldier like Ironsi and wouldn’t have fared any better if he was made head of state.

As 2-1c to Gowon, Ogundipe was more interested in allocation of quarters to soldiers at the barracks than administering the burning country. He was also not prepared for politics. That’s is why I said things might have turned out differently for the country if the original plotters of 15th January, 1966 had taken over the government instead of the grossly incompetent government of Ironsi and Ogundipe. Ifeajuna, Nzeogwu, Ademoyega and the other majors were by far more educated and politically prepared for governance than old soldiers like Ironsi and Ogundipe. If you still want to keep playing the ethnic card after this, enjoy yourself.
What are they going to do to appease Hausa-Fulani's for killing Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa?
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Gireiboy(m): 8:41am On Dec 02, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

Hmmm very treacherous

Dealing with Northerners is always like that!
The treachery started in January 1966!
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by NazoTimes(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2021
Gireiboy:

A pay-back for what the did to Tafawa Balewa! "revenge is best served cold".
angry sad
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:51am On Dec 02, 2021
Gireiboy:

The treachery started in January 1966!
What treachery happened in1966
Re: Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder by NazoTimes(m): 5:44pm On Dec 02, 2021
OAM4j & Mynd44 How Far?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: APC Governors Pass A Vote Of Confidence In Adamu / Subsidy Removal: NLC, TUC To Meet Tinubu’s Team Tuesday / Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.