Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application (10298 Views)

Who Has Completed FRSC Job Application For Degree Holders / How To Successfully Write A Job Application Letter / Application Letter A Teacher Wrote In Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Lamasta(m): 11:57am On Nov 27, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Not at all.
My ex-staff got a job with an oil servicing firm in PortHarcourt without a cover letter.

She happened to be at an event with the firm's chairman where they exchanged contacts. Later that night, she was on her knees swallowing his pride.

Today she's on the managerial team.
So for most ladies, the opening in between their legs is the cover letter.
Take it

1 Like

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 12:02pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:
Hello nairaland please is it a must that cover letter must be included when applying for a job. Though some job advert does not specify it
it's not by cover letter. Most persons where given employment without cover letter. Bros na grace. Grace cover that letter
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by SmartPolician: 12:07pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:
Hello nairaland please is it a must that cover letter must be included when applying for a job. Though some job advert does not specify it

Note that there's a difference between an application letter and a cover letter.
While an application letter is a standalone document or email, a cover letter goes with your CV.

To answer your question, you just have to follow the instructions of the prospective employer. If they need your cover letter, please share it.

More importantly, a cover letter isn't necessarily that MS docx file you attach to your application. No! You can post your cover letter to the body of the email and attach your CV.

However, the most significant difference between an application letter and a cover letter is that a cover letter must mention that you included your CV to the application. That's because it's not a standalone document or email.

Don't you ever send your CV without your cover letter on the body of the email or as an attached document because you will realize that you may not get a response.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

3 Likes

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by sorepco(m): 12:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
Only a fool wont include a cover letter. Its in it you sell yourself by putting in your strengts for the job.

littlenzuki:
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Gtat: 12:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
If you ask me na who I go ask grin
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by CaptainFM1: 12:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
If a job vacancy requires it, don't put. Atleast that's one slot left for someone that's serious.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Klass99(f): 12:23pm On Nov 27, 2021

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Carparts888(m): 12:24pm On Nov 27, 2021
It's not always requested by the recruiter but its an advantage and increases your chances
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Amwitty(f): 12:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Not at all.
My ex-staff got a job with an oil servicing firm in PortHarcourt without a cover letter.

She happened to be at an event with the firm's chairman where they exchanged contacts. Later that night, she was on her knees swallowing his pride.

Wow I'm very sure you were there when she was swallowing the pride for you to know

1 Like

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by theamazonguru(m): 12:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

Not necessary
Not compulsory

Just give exactly what the vacancy ad requires.

Let me give you a very typical example:
Though this has nothing to do with a cover letter but the point being shared can come handy in the future.

So my office needs someone to relieve someone going on leave. His pay is 500k plus.
The eventual candidate will do this 3 times a year.

2 candidates sent in their CV.
One candidate sent a resume of 12 pages.
The other sent a CV of 3 pages.

The one with 12 pages has more experiences and can do the job, "maybe " fit into the role better than the other guy. He seems to have more corporate exposure, seems like someone with good analytical skills. These and more are the skill set required for the job.

While the other guy seemed to me like someone who needs to be baby fed a bit. No strong analytical ability, little exposure but he detailed the exact skills the job requires.

4 people decided on the choice of the candidate. The credentials were sent to each of the 4 guys, none of them took time to go through the mini book (resume) sent by the more experienced candidate. They all complained, the resume was too much, a 12- page document.

I was the eventual trainer.
So I was brought into the loop for my opinion. I made my point known, but the other candidate with a 3 page CV was selected.
Guy is undergoing training now.

What am I saying, getting a job is not dependent on the volume of documents you send to the recruiter.

Make it brief
Make it concise
Make it tailor made for that particular job you are applying for.
Then back it up with prayers.

Note:
No matter how good you are, if you are replacing someone in an organization,you need to learn how the job is done in that particular organization.
You need to learn the company's procedure.
You need to under study the guys already there before you.

This is no rocket science.
You don't need to be a genius to learn this.

You only need to be creative to bring a new thing to the table once you learn the rope and you are already an authority in the organization's way of doing things.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Skillsnigeria: 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by babyfaceafrica: 12:47pm On Nov 27, 2021
Klass99:
It increases your chances of being shortlisted for an interview and possibly landing the job too.

The trick is to keep it short, sweet and simple. I once had a recruiter say my cover letter gingered him to bring me in for a conversation/interview.

As in, he was interested in meeting the person/personality behind that particular cover letter. I didn't get the job but hearing him say that was enough motivation to continue writing one for my job applications and making sure my persona/sincerity come through in every letter.

It will be to your advantage to always include one, another recruiter said nothing pisses her off as much as candidates who send a blank email with only an attachment or a short, abrupt message like for the JavaScript role.

People in the Human Resources/Recruiting space should be leading the conversation on this and sharing their thoughts/insights.
In Nigeria or where? Lolz
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by socialmediaman: 12:48pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

Not only should you write a cover letter, you should also update your CV to highlight relevant skills and culture fit for the particular job you’re applying to
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by babyfaceafrica: 12:49pm On Nov 27, 2021
theamazonguru:

Not necessary
Not compulsory

Just give exactly what the vacancy ad requires.

Let me give you a very typical example:
Though this has nothing to do with a cover letter but the point being shared can come handy in the future.

So my office needs someone to relieve someone going on leave. His pay is 500k plus.
The eventual candidate will do this 3 times a year.

2 candidates sent in their CV.
One candidate sent a resume of 12 pages.
The other sent a CV of 3 pages.

The one with 12 pages has more experiences and can do the job, "maybe " fit into the role better than the other guy. He seems to have more corporate exposure, seems like someone with good analytical skills. These and more are the skill set required for the job.

While the other guy seemed to me like someone who needs to be baby fed a bit. No strong analytical ability, little exposure but he detailed the exact skills the job requires.

4 people decided on the choice of the candidate. The credentials were sent to each of the 4 guys, none of them took time to go through the mini book (resume) sent by the more experienced candidate. They all complained, the resume was too much, a 12- page document.

I was the eventual trainer.
So I was brought into the loop for my opinion. I made my point known, but the other candidate with a 3 page CV was selected.
Guy is undergoing training now.

What am I saying, getting a job is not dependent on the volume of documents you send to the recruiter.

Make it brief
Make it concise
Make it tailor made for that particular joby are applying for.
Then back it up with prayers.

Note:
No matter how good you are, if you are replacing someone in an organization,you need to learn how the job is done in that particular organization.
You need to learn the company procedure.
You need to under study the guys already there before you.

This is no rocket science.
You don't need to be a genius to learn this.

You only need to be creative to bring a new thing to the table once you learn the rope and you are already an authority in the organization's way of doing things.

All the best.
Very Apt. Do your best and pray. No be my experience or anything, you will still be trained. Que sera sera
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by EzePaschal(m): 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

Very necessary
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by BruncleZuma: 1:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
No it's not, big companies are doing away with the damn thing...you sabi how many hours e dey take to recruit one person?
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Klass99(f): 1:10pm On Nov 27, 2021

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Lastmankc(m): 1:15pm On Nov 27, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Not at all.

Baba werey.

Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by babyfaceafrica: 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2021
Klass99:

In Lagos Nigeria.

You come across as one of these ignorant, pessimistic, naysayers I don't like to banter or engage with on this forum.

The sort of people who claim there are no jobs in Nigeria and getting one is based on who you know and not merit. I can't deal with such negativity or poverty of the mind and spirit, so it's EOD (end of discussion) for me.
k
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by babyfaceafrica: 1:17pm On Nov 27, 2021
BruncleZuma:
No it's not, big companies are doing away with the damn thing...you sabi how many hours e dey take to recruit one person?
I guess most are using technology now or personal recommendation
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Hassanmaye(m): 1:24pm On Nov 27, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Not at all.

Women can Get almost anything they want with that
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Jaqenhghar: 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:
Only in Niggeria.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by AdeniyiA(m): 1:38pm On Nov 27, 2021
The only thing I know is important is favour cool
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by BruncleZuma: 1:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
I guess most are using technology now or personal recommendation
Exactly, Applicant Tracking System - it's an AI/Algorithm driven software that parses your CV and looks for certain keywords from the job description and compares how your CV matches. It takes microseconds to sort CVs and assign ratings based on your CV.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Laxy009(m): 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
If the job poster requested for it ,kindly include it .

If you want to stand out among other applicants where cover letter was not stated please use one .

Bottom point is that it’s not always be CV or Cover letter but by the Grace of almighty God.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by N2B2: 2:15pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

Attaching a cover letter to your application isn't compulsory, just as it's not by force to eat your rice with meat.

However, if you'd prefer to eat rice with meat (not plain rice), then you can get a sense of how employers feel about applications that contain only a resume/CV.

Your cover letter is a one-on-one conversation you're having with the employer. If it's good, they will fall over themselves to meet you in person (interview).

Let's go back to the rice and meat euphemism:

Think of your CV as rice and—

- A generic copy-and-paste cover letter = a small piece of meat.
- An error-free, succinct cover letter with emphasis on how your skills can benefit the employer = a big piece of roasted turkey marinated with a finger-licking spicy sauce.

Which one do you think the employer will want on the rice? You gerrit? If you don't gerrit, then forget about it! grin

Goodluck!
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by TheGift: 2:17pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

If you’re sending by mail, then the body of your mail referring to the attached CV may act as your cover letter.

If you’re sending a hard copy of your CV it only makes sense to send with a letter explaining the content (RE: the relevant job vacancy) even if they did not ask for one.

However, if they specify, take it as a must.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by N2B2: 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
In Nigeria or where? Lolz

In Nigeria, bro.

Some people come here and complain they didn't score jobs with huge firms or outstanding start-ups when all they send is a bland resume and a bitter word soup of an application letter.

They don't know they were up against skilled applicants whose cover letters are so detailed and attention-grabbing that the employers choose to see them before others.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by Johel(m): 2:27pm On Nov 27, 2021
littlenzuki:

No...but depends on the Employer and the Employee.
Re: Is Cover Letter A Must For Job Application by kunkelhanspeter(m): 2:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
From Application Letter to Cover Letter who knows what it will be called in the 10-15 years to come

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ican Students! Please Read This. / Npower: Do Not Update Profile If It Has Been Updated Before / Should I Honor This Interview?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.