Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta (37599 Views)

UNIDO, Edo Govt. To Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City / UNIDO, Edo Govt. To Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City As Obaseki Visits Iyay / UNIDO, Edo Govt.  to Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Berezuski: 7:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
This same OBJ spent Billions of naira on electricity with no single trace till date!
Shame on all of you

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by VEHINTOLAR: 7:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
Aremu himself, baba mi olowu ti o kere ! May you live long and in good health sir.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by ademuyiwa20(f): 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2021
Natural resources wey God give us. We just dey waste am anyhow. The white don talk am say had it been nah dem get dis kind sun wey we get, dem no fit depend on hydro atall. But naija no fit migrate commot from hydro.

MTN data subscription available for as low as#300/GB. Check my signature for details.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Bamzyriches451: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2021
Baba
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by IPIGSRHYPO: 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
JAMO84:
As a president, Obasanjo did more for his library than the whole South West.

If he had spent the $16 BILLION on Solar self instead of stealing it all with his gang of pdp crooks.
Smh
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by heniford2: 7:49pm On Nov 27, 2021
After years of stealing robbing innocent citizen of dia tax money na here e end undecided undecided yoruba wicked demi god of no sense...
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by JAMO84: 8:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
LegendHero:

This comment made me laugh like craze.

Baba love that library and his farm. Those two are his treasures and he no dey joke with am.
I am telling you

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by joey150(m): 8:22pm On Nov 27, 2021
bluefilm:

Do you know how huge 2MW really is?

Lemme give you an example.

If on the average, let's say a household uses 1KW of solar power on a daily basis, it means that 2MW can power:

2MW÷1KW = 2 000 000W ÷ 1 000W =
2 000 households.

You'll never really get 2MW, unless on very sunny days. Then what happens when the sun dies down?

You will also have to replace those batteries every 2-3 years.

Solar power is best for small installations. The larger the installation is, the more expensive and somewhat less economical solar gets, compared to gas and hydro power.

P.S I have a solar installation at home.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by redsun(m): 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2021
Berezuski:
This same OBJ spent Billions of naira on electricity with no single trace till date!
Shame on all of you

It was actually billions of dollars. Not toilet paper, naira.

Karma will definitely catch up with all of them as it's happening now. Corruption and insecurity are evil twins, so thieving politicians like him should not look far to see why there is chaos in the land.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by sonnie10: 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2021
joey150:

You'll never really get 2MW, unless on very sunny days. Then what happens when the sun dies down?

You will also have to replace those batteries every 2-3 years.

Solar power is best for small installations. The larger the installation is, the more expensive and somewhat less economical solar gets, compared to gas and hydro power.

P.S I have a solar installation at home.

Convert and store the solar energy to other form of energy for use when there is no sunlight.
More like power bank but bigger.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by stayclearofme: 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2021
SadiqBabaSani:
Old man acting confused sometimes, foisted Buhari on us fr selfish reasons too proud to admit his heinous error
Small pikin.. how did Obasanjo foisted Buhari on you?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by grandstar(m): 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2021
bluefilm:

If on the average, let's say a household uses 1KW of solar power on a daily basis, it means that 2MW can power:

2MW÷1KW = 2 000 000W ÷ 1 000W = 2 000 households!

I am very impressed with your calcuations.

1,000 likes
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by zinizta: 9:02pm On Nov 27, 2021
SadiqBabaSani:
Old man acting confused sometimes, foisted Buhari on us fr selfish reasons too proud to admit his heinous error

Are you just stupid or what?

When did OBJ foist Buhari on you?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by mfm04622: 9:14pm On Nov 27, 2021
How can a 2MW solar power project be the first of its kind in Africa?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by mfm04622: 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
bluefilm:

What makes it the first in Africa? The size? Or what?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by TenderManiac: 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
Some1 once said if u wanted to hide anything from a black man, u'd put in it writing. Do u remember or i should keep quiet?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by TenderManiac: 9:19pm On Nov 27, 2021
Some1 once said if u wanted to hide anything from a black man, u'd put it in writing. Do u remember or i should keep quiet?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Testimony1988(m): 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
AroOkigbo:
Clean energy is the way to the future.
A good percentage of the solar energy in Nigeria is wasted.
Sure, but the initial capital is high couple with the high rate of dollar.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by middlebelter(m): 9:27pm On Nov 27, 2021
SadiqBabaSani:

In as much as I am against GMB'S policies, I dear say that GEJ is not a saint either. If he had consulted well and acted of good advise given to Jim bu OBJ, Nigerian wouldn't have been where we are today in GMB'S hands.
It was OBJ that carefully planted him.in BP office with the hope that he will continue his good policies that can move Nigeria forward but do we have, he turned his back on OBJ and embrace the likes of Madam Diezisne Madueke, Tony Anene and the looting of treasury became massive thereby giving APC good campaign opportunities.

APC is doing their looting now but PDP is not making use of he situation for campaign purposes.

You can't blame OBJ tor withdrawing his support for GEJ, I doubt if you won't do worse than OBJ if in that shoe.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by airsaylongcome: 9:31pm On Nov 27, 2021
AroOkigbo:
Clean energy is the way to the future.
A good percentage of the solar energy in Nigeria is wasted.

The Tesla Powerwall+ what's your take in terms of cost-benefit?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by airsaylongcome: 9:35pm On Nov 27, 2021
sammyj:
Which yeye future. Do you know how useless this technology is worth with mentainance compared to Gas-powered plant

Please what are the maintenance costs involved? I'm deploying one tomorrow and would like to be better informed. Already had inverters powering fridge and freezer and all the light loads in the house. Plan to buy lithium batteries later next year to replace lead batteries and I'm even thinking of going all out to buy the Tesla Powerwall
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by sammyj: 9:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
Do you know the amount of landmass required to set up solar power of that magnitude alone, the cost of maintaining the batteries, and what happens during the rainy season? Your guess is as good as mine grin grin grin
airsaylongcome:

Please what are the maintenance costs involved? I'm deploying one tomorrow and would like to be better informed. Already had inverters powering fridge and freezer and all the light loads in the house. Plan to buy lithium batteries later next year to replace lead batteries and I'm even thinking of going all out to buy the Tesla Powerwall
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by airsaylongcome: 9:50pm On Nov 27, 2021
sammyj:
Do you know the amount of landmass required to set up solar power of that magnitude alone, the cost of maintaining the batteries, and what happens during the rainy season? Your guess is as good as mine grin grin grin

So for the rainy season, I expect production to be reduced. But that can be supplemented with wind energy. Batteries will wear out and need replacing. Its similar to how parts in a Gas turbine or a Hydro turbine will need to be maintained and replaced when needed. I understand that batteries will depreciate and I've factored that in my maintenance cost. Right now NEPA have failed to install meter in my house and are charging me ₦200k per month for alleged consumption. With only two of us living in the house, it doesn't make sense to pay ₦2.4m per annum as power bill. I figured that if I install a small Solar power setup in my house, I can be without NEPA consumption for at least half of the year. If I can put money together to buy a good wind turbine, I could be off-grid all year round. Maybe at scale, Solar may not be cost effective, but I believe (I could be wrong) that for a small home setup, it can result in considerable savings especially with petrol going up to ₦340 per litre. Let's not even talk about the noise pollution which cannot be objectively quantifiy (I detest generator sound with a deep passion).

I concur that Gas powered plants would be more economical at scale, but we have idiots as government and are not interested in making power available for the masses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by joey150(m): 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2021
sonnie10:

Convert and store the solar energy to other form of energy for use when there is no sunlight.
More like power bank but bigger.

You miss the point.

Power banks are made of batteries and they wear out over time. They need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years. That's added maintenence cost. Plus batteries can't really deal with high energy surges like grid systems do.

The idea is people need power most in the evenings when the sun is down, this is when the batteries experience the most stress.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by RepoMan007: 10:03pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ryda:
Naija!
When are we going to start launching our own spaceships.

If they don't launch borehole, they'll launch flyover or one drainage that won't last a seven days rainfall.
individuals too go to space and not just nations.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by tsdarkside(m): 10:55pm On Nov 27, 2021
bluefilm:

not many know how to calculate electricity....i dont know either.... undecided undecided
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by GoldenSpec: 11:21pm On Nov 27, 2021
Imagine he's still our president shocked
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Litmus: 11:43pm On Nov 27, 2021
sammyj:
Which yeye future. Do you know how useless this technology is worth with mentainance compared to Gas-powered plant

Generator Store owner spotted wink
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by TMKsouth: 11:44pm On Nov 27, 2021
bluefilm:

Well done on the maths - I wrecked my brain with this one.

But I think your 2000 households result is a bit exxagerated.

According to my Google search 1MW could power 164 homes in the US. So that means 2MW would power just around 330 American homes. I understand they use more energy in the US than Africa but can't help observing the disparity between 330 and your 2000 homes. That's why I said it could be a bit exxagerated.

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by laiperi: 11:47pm On Nov 27, 2021
Each time someone generate or talk about Solar power, smarties tell us gas is the cleanest.

We have been begging Oil companies to stop gas flaring and produce more gas for ages.

If Solar power is within reach of universities and others, why not encourage them?

Stop throwing stones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Northerners Mock Tinubu's Health, Say "Don't Vote For Him" (Video) / Tree Falls On Kabiru Ibrahim Dallah's Car In Lafia, Nasarawa While On Reverse / Makinde Recalls Oyo TV Staff Sacked By Ajimobi 4 Years Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.