Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta (37601 Views)

UNIDO, Edo Govt. To Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City / UNIDO, Edo Govt. To Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City As Obaseki Visits Iyay / UNIDO, Edo Govt.  to Construct 2MW Micro Dam In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by nextstep(m): 3:19am On Nov 28, 2021
AroOkigbo:
Clean energy is the way to the future.
A good percentage of the solar energy in Nigeria is wasted.

The sad thing about solar, is that, once again, we are not developing our ability to manufacture. Nigeria should be the #1 source of panels on the continent, but all we're doing is buying panels and controllers with oil money. The day the West or Asia stops buying oil, is the day we can't afford solar. ironic.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Fhemmmy: 3:57am On Nov 28, 2021
So he has what it takes to put this together and yet was the president for 8 years with NOTHING to show for it, anyways, better late than never and hope some of the governors can start thinking in this kinda direction...
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by adeolaben(m): 4:50am On Nov 28, 2021
DOTian:
2MW!?!?
Nigeria sef...
"The first of it's kind indeed"!
Yes, first of its kind for a library in Africa... It's very possible....
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by plaindealer: 5:07am On Nov 28, 2021
2MW after looting $16 billion power fund.

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Namnam: 5:16am On Nov 28, 2021
2MW… that’s only enough for 1500 homes in a country of hundreds of millions… that’s nothing…
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by bluebay(m): 6:54am On Nov 28, 2021
ArewaNorth:
The mischievous history of how the library was built by public funds for the personal gain of OBJ is saddening.
Nigerians have been suffering by bad leaders for long. OBJ is equally a fraud and failure like his predecessors!
Obj was never a failure until different article came out stating he stole public funds … Nigerians
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by sammyj: 7:15am On Nov 28, 2021
Great submission bro. Thank you for the post devoid of insult like others without any deep knowledge of what they posts do on this platform
airsaylongcome:

So for the rainy season, I expect production to be reduced. But that can be supplemented with wind energy. Batteries will wear out and need replacing. Its similar to how parts in a Gas turbine or a Hydro turbine will need to be maintained and replaced when needed. I understand that batteries will depreciate and I've factored that in my maintenance cost. Right now NEPA have failed to install meter in my house and are charging me ₦200k per month for alleged consumption. With only two of us living in the house, it doesn't make sense to pay ₦2.4m per annum as power bill. I figured that if I install a small Solar power setup in my house, I can be without NEPA consumption for at least half of the year. If I can put money together to buy a good wind turbine, I could be off-grid all year round. Maybe at scale, Solar may not be cost effective, but I believe (I could be wrong) that for a small home setup, it can result in considerable savings especially with petrol going up to ₦340 per litre. Let's not even talk about the noise pollution which cannot be objectively quantifiy (I detest generator sound with a deep passion).

I concur that Gas powered plants would be more economical at scale, but we have idiots as government and are not interested in making power available for the masses
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by AroOkigbo(m): 7:26am On Nov 28, 2021
Testimony1988:
Sure, but the initial capital is high couple with the high rate of dollar.
That's where the real subsidy is required. Flood the masses with subsidized solar panels and batteries, and take a good number of people off the national grid.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by AroOkigbo(m): 7:28am On Nov 28, 2021
klufs:

The process of mining vital minerals used to produce solar panels is very dirty and destructive to the earth.
How about the process for drilling crude oil and natural gas?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by AroOkigbo(m): 7:29am On Nov 28, 2021
sammyj:
Which yeye future. Do you know how useless this technology is worth with mentainance compared to Gas-powered plant
Even gas reserves are depleting. Solar remains for the future.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Okostan(m): 8:25am On Nov 28, 2021
Pls some is dying of depression no work no food please help a brother. Account No
3069335740 first bank ,ologwu Stanley oko
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by efighter: 8:53am On Nov 28, 2021
JAMO84:
As a president, Obasanjo did more for his library than the whole South West.

That should tell you that the chimpanzee is a useless selfish old fool.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by rex21: 8:59am On Nov 28, 2021
bluefilm:

Do you know how huge 2MW really is?

Lemme give you an example.

If on the average, let's say a household uses 1KW of solar power on a daily basis, it means that 2MW can power:

2MW÷1KW = 2 000 000W ÷ 1 000W = 2 000 households!
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by DOTian: 9:01am On Nov 28, 2021
bluefilm:

Do you know how huge 2MW really is?

Lemme give you an example.

If on the average, let's say a household uses 1KW of solar power on a daily basis, it means that 2MW can power:

2MW÷1KW = 2 000 000W ÷ 1 000W = 2 000 households!

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves in this country especially for the way you have willfully lowered both standards and expectations for both serving and "retired" corrupt public servants. A former Head of State who spent almost 15 billion dollars on power generation alone, but ends up producing less power than he met, at the end of his tenure and is now commissioning a power station of just 2 MW and you're here spinning us dizzy on the merits of such actions? You can't see how foolish you sound with that sickening argument? You see why I think this country is unsalvageable? Most of you are happy with your squalid existence! I mean, how do one start to cure folks of this kind of Stockholm syndrome? What if he built a very large solar farm for the whole state or region as the president? He had the money to do such, but he didn't do so! Why?
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by bluefilm: 9:26am On Nov 28, 2021
DOTian:
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves in this country especially for the way you have willfully lowered both standards and expectations for both serving and "retired" corrupt public servants. A former Head of State who speny almost 15 billion dollars on power generation alone, but ends up producing less power than he met, at the end of his tenure and is now commissioning a power station of just 2 MW and you're here spinning us dizzy on the merits of such actions? You can't see ow foolish you sound with that sickening argument? You see why I think this country is unsalvageable? Most of you are happy with you squalid existence! I mean, how do one start to cure folks of this kind of Stockholm syndrome? What if he built a very solar farm for the whole state or region as the president? He had the money to do such, but he didn't do so! Why?

If you already think this country is unsalvageable, then why are you still ranting here on nairaland like a rabid dog?

Obasanjo left power in 2007, and since then successive governments have failed to provide the much needed steady power supply.

What does that tell you?

It shows you that the national power problem is not a Child's play and it needs a different way of tackling the problem if positive results must be achieved.

So...

If you don't realize that this 2MW solar power facility by Obasanjo is a welcome development in the right direction, then I don't see how I can help you.

Good bye.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Rexwalters1: 10:17am On Nov 28, 2021
SadiqBabaSani:
Old man acting confused sometimes, foisted Buhari on us fr selfish reasons too proud to admit his heinous error
You mean trusted Yaradua & tried to do the same with Atiku on you?

Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by showafrica(m): 11:24am On Nov 28, 2021
dMomenTographer:
IN PICTURES: 26 Nov 2021

Historical Launching of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) 2MW Solar Power Plant Project.

The first of it's kind in Africa.

Photos by: Daniel Sync/ The MomenTographer.

#DanielSync #OOPL #OlusegunObasanjo #Solar

FG should remove subsidy from fuel and subsidies solar panels and batteries. A 300w solar panel shouldn't cost more than 20k. It will help Nigeria harvest enough solar energy.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by Testimony1988(m): 1:23pm On Nov 28, 2021
AroOkigbo:

That's where the real subsidy is required. Flood the masses with subsidized solar panels and batteries, and take a good number of people off the national grid.
That's right.
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by ArewaNorth: 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2021
bluebay:

Obj was never a failure until different article came out stating he stole public funds … Nigerians

People who are born under failure and consistently seeing failure since their birth can never understand how woefully OBJ and others have failed undecided
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by ArewaNorth: 2:13pm On Nov 28, 2021
ginggerxy:
Nigeria has been suffering from the hand of northerners .

This assertion is needless and strongly biased. If u want to know how our leaders have failed, don't always look at the federal Government only, look at your state Governors first before shifting your blame to FG that has less impact on your daily affairs than the other; today 90% of Governors that failed to pay ordinary minimum wage are from the south. Should other regions govern as long as Northerners, they might have ended up as failures similarly as they failed at state level!
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by gazza07(m): 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2021
Obj, u sold buhari to your gullible illiterate followers, thunder fire u!
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by RotrEmmanuel: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2021
Yampotatocarrot:

Is there a way to reduce the cost? As I noticed it's even more expensive in SS/SE states that are closer to the refineries than place farther
Its costly in the south because our people think greediness is smartness. part of the inflation is caused by market men and women. My neighbor is selling her provision at 100% difference from the cost price. She go buy something lets say #100 come d sell #200. Na we d do our self

I blame the government agencies in charge of price regulation too. They have failed us undecided
Re: Obasanjo Launches 2MW Solar Power Plant In Abeokuta by erikefe7: 9:14am On Nov 30, 2021
why is the podium stand that the former president is talking on that old and decrepit looking? even with the paint it is not good for 2021 at all....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Northerners Mock Tinubu's Health, Say "Don't Vote For Him" (Video) / Mrs Buhari Didn't Address 'edo Prostitute' In A Ridiculous Way (punch) / Senate President Saraki Lied In His Official Election Forms - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.