Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,119 members, 7,953,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:25 PM

Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department (4874 Views)

20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / 2012 Diversity Lottery Results Have Been Voided / Dv 2012 Lottery Results Have Been Voided Due To Computer Programming Error. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by pslm23(f): 8:41pm On Jun 09, 2011
If you received a letter saying u won and then another notice saying sorry u didn't, this story might interest you.  grin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/voided-green-card-winners_n_873920.html
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:00pm On Jun 09, 2011
y do dey need to sue since dey already gave dem reasons for d cancellation of results, mscheew as if its by force to travel,
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by justwise(m): 11:49pm On Jun 09, 2011
I don't see them winning the case, to be selected and allowed to live in USA is privilege not a right, they were not asked to buy or forced to play the lottery.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:09am On Jun 10, 2011
dey r not JUSTWISE
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by tunnytox(m): 11:59am On Jun 10, 2011
The way the whole issue unfolded was a disgrace to the USA reputation to say the least however, whether these initial winners will be able to claim compensation or entitled to be considered to immigrate will be entirely dependent on the relevant laws of the United States and its interpretation. lets wait and see
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by omo9ja1(m): 1:03pm On Jun 10, 2011
how are you sure that this story was a genuine one, imean from US, when we have , 19 add 4, everywhere could be one our brothers round the corner there doing something

lol
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by MMM2(m): 1:12pm On Jun 10, 2011
make i laugh 2 people wey sue grin
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by violent(m): 1:21pm On Jun 10, 2011
The beauty of US legal system, there's no suit too stupiid to be heard in court!
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by uzochinedu: 1:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
those people who sued the state dept will surely lose the case, finish
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by manny4life(m): 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2011
justwise:

I don't see them winning the case, to be selected  and allowed to  live in USA is privilege not a right, they were not asked to buy or forced to play the lottery.

Though the U.S. has not-so-strict immigration laws winning the case is gonna be a stretch although not impossible. This would look like the Ricci vs DeStafano case that was decided by the SCOTUS last year; I hope this mistake will not cost the state dept because statistics have shown that class actions suits brought before federal courts, the courts are more likely to be lenient towards the plaintiff (immigrants) than they are towards the defendant.

tunnytox:

The way the whole issue unfolded was a disgrace to the USA reputation to say the least however, whether these initial winners will be able to claim compensation or entitled to be considered to immigrate will be entirely dependent on the relevant laws of the United States and its interpretation. lets wait and see

Well I don't see how that destroyed their reputation but we'll see.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 10, 2011
uzochinedu:

those people who sued the state dept will surely lose the case, finish

You will never be the judge.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by awuf2008: 2:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
I dont know how some people think dis days. it is matter of he who dictates the tune dictate the piper. somebody said come and let me feed you and suddenly turns around to say am sorry i cant feed you again. Can u sue that kind of person? capital NO NO NO. The voided winners can not win, even if they go to heaven to conduct the case, they will certainly loose. More so instigating a case against them will further block their chances of entering America in future.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by nethacker(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2011
ferdiii:

You will never be the judge.
them cancel ur own grin grin grin
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by SUV(f): 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
Click to read the latest information on their website:

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC/
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Princek12(m): 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
The people who are filing the lawsuit are just wasting their money on lawyer fees. The Congress of the United States has the plenary power to decide who enters and does not enter the United States. They can pretty much do whatever they can as to regulating immigration.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by manny4life(m): 2:58pm On Jun 10, 2011
Princek12:

The people who are filing the lawsuit are just wasting their money on lawyer fees. The Congress of the United States has the plenary power to decide who enters and does not enter the United States. They can pretty much do whatever they can as to regulating immigration.

And the court system determines when Congress has over breached it's authority. The court system interprets what regulating laws are constitutional or not
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Amhatu(m): 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2011
@pslm23 (f)

The Title should be corrected to read Voided Green Card Winners Sue The State Department of USA
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Wizardofoz: 3:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
^^^^

Is there a State Department in Nigeria?

Which other country does Green card lotto?

What a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard!
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by JeSoul(f): 3:56pm On Jun 10, 2011
justwise:

I don't see them winning the case, to be selected and allowed to live in USA is privilege not a right, they were not asked to buy or forced to play the lottery.
   grin you have not seen some fantastic spin from some lawyers . . .

"Your Honor, the incredibly difficult and depressed economic and social climate of Nigeria has been a constant scourge on the lives of my clients. The combination of lack of basic amenities, lack of security, lack on employment forced my clients to seek a better life elsewhere. The US state dept promised them a chance at this opportunity if they applied - which they did. They had no other choice and hence were forced to apply. To now rescind this hope of a better life due to the negligence of the US govt amounts to emotional assault and battery. My clients are seeking damages as this has caused a great deal of emotional distress to them and their families."
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Amhatu(m): 4:02pm On Jun 10, 2011
@Wizardofoz ,

The Forum Topic has been corrected. Wizardofoz, how can someone be "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard" for suggesting a opinion?

It appears, indeed you are not-so-smart "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard".  grin

The Western World and Press like to constantly present misguided English Terminology to confuse Nationhood.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Roland17(m): 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2011
Who no wan leave 9ija? especially for yankee!!!
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by ashley86(f): 5:23pm On Jun 10, 2011
JeSoul:

grin you have not seen some fantastic spin from some lawyers . . .

"Your Honor, the incredibly difficult and depressed economic and social climate of Nigeria has been a constant scourge on the lives of my clients. The combination of lack of basic amenities, lack of security, lack on employment forced my clients to seek a better life elsewhere. The US state dept promised them a chance at this opportunity if they applied - which they did. They had no other choice and hence were forced to apply. To now rescind this hope of a better life due to the negligence of the US govt amounts to emotional assault and battery. My clients are seeking damages as this has caused a great deal of emotional distress to them and their families."

lwkmd, my initial reaction when i heard of this issue was dere's no way they can win it, but as u cum frame dis ur defense, i can totally see them having a chance.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by worry246(m): 5:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
I see many fat lawers in America getting richer & fatter pushing this through the courts and being paid costs by Gov funds.
At the end I predict not one person will get an entry visa
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by omega25red(m): 6:20pm On Jun 10, 2011
So which court is the state dept supposed to appear in? How can you sue when the fine print of the forms you all signed states that they can cancel the results without warning or reason.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by hardbody: 6:22pm On Jun 10, 2011
They should argue from the equitable position that you cannot approbate and reprobate. The US government cannot blow hot and cold the same time. They have been made to change their positions by the preliminary announcement and communication that they have won the lottery. Consequent upon this, they resigned their lucrative jobs, sold their houses and cars and took all other necessary steps preparatory to leaving their shores and the sudden change in deceision has brought them so much untold hardship and they seek for specific performance. This is an open and close case, they will all be called in again for the interview. AND THEN THEY WILL ALL FAIL TO BE SELECTED. Case closed.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
Prophets of doom, allow the case to run its course. At most no be siddon dey look. You can sue anybody, either u win the case or not.
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 10, 2011
nethacker:

them cancel your own grin grin grin

yes
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Gbenge77(m): 7:28pm On Jun 10, 2011
What an effontery?
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by JeSoul(f): 7:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
ashley86:

lwkmd, my initial reaction when i heard of this issue was dere's no way they can win it, but as u come frame dis your defense, i can totally see them having a chance.
Lol. My sister I tell you oh. Some of the most ridiculous things have been sued for. There was the judge (imagine a judge) who sued for damages and cost a lowly asian drycleaner for losing his suit. People are suing Macdonalds for making them fat.

Infact self, in many cases whenever the govt is sued, they are less likely to fight and expend resources in so doing - they would rather pay the damages. The only thing na say this na naija case so they will probably throway face grin
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by bestman09(m): 8:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
Na by force?
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by Theblessed(f): 9:19pm On Jun 10, 2011
Amhatu:

@Wizardofoz
The Forum Topic has been corrected. Wizardofoz, how can someone be "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard" for suggesting a opinion?
It appears, indeed you are not-so-smart "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard".  grin
The Western World and Press like to constantly present misguided English Terminology to confuse Nationhood.

[b][size=16pt] But, how do you mean by 'misguided English Terminology'?

I could not see any mis-guidance in their language.  Every language of this world has its grammatically correct, pigeon and local ways of saying and using it. 

If anything, it's the non-indigenous users  who are confused with the language because, it is not ours and we lack understanding of the language as we try to interpret it, based on our various mother tongues.

For example, different countries in Africa and the World over, have different interpretations, intonation and accents/pronounciation of particular English words therefore, it isn't their fault if we have difficulty grasping the language and it's phonetics by claiming 'mis-guidance'.

After all, English language belongs to 'The English' and it's up to us to make the effort to learn the language if we so wish instead of, changing and twisting it to suit us.

As an African, I empathizes with the English as I would not like my language be messed up.

I consider this behaviour not only irritating and dis-respectful but also, an abuse of a peoples language therefore, there's no such thing as 'mis-guided terminology' rather, our laziness to learn how to/use of the language.

With respect to the Visa issue above, people might have mis-understood the legal terms used in drafting the Visa programmes as shown by their unsuccessful submissions.

They should have consulted their Solicitors to help them make sense of the legal terms they could not understand before completing the application forms.  

After all, it was the same Visa programmes that America issued to all eligible countries that participated in the programme and these countries didn't complain, why Nigeria?

You see, it is an offer and they are entitled to withdraw, counter-offer or do whatever they wish with it.

If Nigerians are considering suing American Government over this, I prophesy they will not only loose, but will have massive legal bill awaiting them and only the Solicitors and their Barristers that will be laughing all the way to the Bank yet, they failed to achieve their objectives and, America they did not get to see. grin grin

Unfortunately, their action could lead to Nigeria being dis-qualified from participating in  future Visa programmes thereby, causing more sufferings and hardship for innocent Nigerians, hoping to emigrate via the Visa programme - too bad! undecided
[/size][/b]
Re: Voided Green Card Winners Sue State Department by bidemi12(m): 9:26pm On Jun 10, 2011
Theblessed:

[b][size=16pt] But, how do you mean by 'misguided English Terminology'?

I could not see any mis-guidance in their language.  Every language of this world has its grammatically correct, pigeon and local ways of saying and using it. 

If anything, it's the non-indigenous users  who are confused with the language because, it is not ours and we lack understanding of the language as we try to interpret it, based on our various mother tongues.

For example, different countries in Africa and the World over, have different interpretations, intonation and accents/pronounciation of particular English words therefore, it isn't their fault if we have difficulty grasping the language and it's phonetics by claiming 'mis-guidance'.

After all, English language belongs to 'The English' and it's up to us to make the effort to learn the language if we so wish instead of, changing and twisting it to suit us.

As an African, I empathizes with the English as I would not like my language be messed up.

I consider this behaviour not only irritating and dis-respectful but also, an abuse of a peoples language therefore, there's no such thing as 'mis-guided terminology' rather, our laziness to learn how to/use of the language.

With respect to the Visa issue above, people might have mis-understood the legal terms used in drafting the Visa programmes as shown by their unsuccessful submissions.

They should have consulted their Solicitors to help them make sense of the legal terms they could not understand before completing the application forms.  

After all, it was the same Visa programmes that America issued to all eligible countries that participated in the programme and these countries didn't complain, why Nigeria?

You see, it is an offer and they are entitled to withdraw, counter-offer or do whatever they wish with it.

If Nigerians are considering suing American Government over this, I prophesy they will not only loose, but will have massive legal bill awaiting them and only the Solicitors and their Barristers that will be laughing all the way to the Bank yet, they failed to achieve their objectives and, America they did not get to see. grin grin

Unfortunately, their action could lead to Nigeria being dis-qualified from participating in  future Visa programmes thereby, causing more sufferings and hardship for innocent Nigerians, hoping to emigrate via the Visa programme - too bad! undecided
[/size][/b]

you this attention seeker, cant you post without blinding us? ever heard of online etiquette? how rude angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Over 1000 Migrants From Central American Trekking Through Mexico To The U.S.(Pic / Invitation Letters / If You Found Someone Breaking The Law In or Out Of Nigeria? :What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.