Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny (2570 Views)

Labour Party Holds Inaugural Meeting In Bonny Island (Photos) / Must Watch : Ijaw Leaders Replacing Igbo Language In Bonny, Opobo And Ndoki / Voters Hide In Bush In Bonny As Soldiers Shoot In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
I'm researching on the dual language spread in Bonny. I've not gotten much but it would seem in Bonny's heydays the Kingdom expanded into Kalabari territory to the west through war and greater influence. This may account for a more pronounced "Ibani" presence there today.

However, the cause of the friction today is not whether the Bonny kingdom expanded into Kalabari or not. The issue is Izon people using the Kalabari to manipulate the Igbo founders of Bonny into dropping their Igbo identity through state politics during and after the war and up to this moment.

Both the Kalabari Ibani people and the Izon in Bayelsa know quite well the Bonny area was founded and governed by the Ndoki subtribe of the Igbo nation before Bonny expanded into their side. Hence they can't claim Bonny confidently so they go through the kingship, fabricating Perekule and all that gibberish.

The problem now is the language. The Ibani there call Igbo bush language and Igbo in the hinterland bush people. Well, technically we are "bush" people thanks to the dense rain forest we were blessed with by Chukwunna. They can't seem to eliminate the bush language and it has remained a bone in their throats.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
Those of us who may have a hypothesis or even materials can share please grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
On the side, those who don't know Abua, Andoni, Okrika, Bonny can see their locations on this fine map. Let's remember Abua has just officially exited Ijaw National Council.

We can also see how far away Bayelsa Izon is claiming Bonny and Opobo. How na? grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by hammer567: 3:45pm On Nov 27, 2021
OP, IT IS UBANI NOT IBANI.
Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2021
hammer567:
OP, IT IS UBANI NOT IBANI.

Depends. There's also the Igbani alternative.
Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Ekealterego: 4:33pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

Depends. There's also the Igbani alternative.
There was an Igbo Okrika king that went by the name Ibanichukwu?

Actually, UBA (Wealth; Rich) and IBA (To get rich/wealth) are the same thing and the same meaning. Like Ibala... or some will say Iba ego as an alternative to the noun. Uba.

Iba-Uba, some will say Iba-ba

However, in central Igbo, Iba is the Verb for Uba. Uba is the Noun.
However in dialects, Some use "Iba (insert specific subject) as the noun.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ekealterego:

There was an Igbo Okrika king that went by the name Ibanichukwu?

Actually, UBA (Wealth; Rich) and IBA (To get rich/wealth) are the same thing and the same meaning. Like Ibala... or some will say Iba ego as an alternative to the noun. Uba.

Iba-Uba, some will say Iba-ba

However, in central Igbo, Iba is the Verb for Uba. Uba is the Noun.
However in dialects, Some use "Iba (insert specific subject) as the noun.

An interesting angle.

Do you have more info on this Ibanichukwu?
Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Ekealterego: 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

An interesting angle.

Do you have more info on this Ibanichukwu?
Sorry, it's actually King Ibanichuka.

He was deported by the British because he was hostile to European missionaries around 1896.

He was also probably part of the Okrika elder who provided the information to this other document will upload.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 4:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ekealterego:

Sorry, it's actually King Ibanichuka.

He was deported by the British because he was hostile to European missionaries around 1896.

He was also probably part of the Okrika elder who provided the information to this other document will upload.

One question. If the origin of Okrika is so openly Igbo why and how did they successfully discard their origins for Ijaw today.

It may be the Igbo founders met primitive aborigines when they arrived because there's no way they can successfully eliminate an obviously Igbo heritage.

On the other hand it may be the Okrika history may have been deliberated hidden or distorted so researchers and truth seekers may not find some interesting information. Something definitely changed in the Okrika history along the way. I suspect cultural genocide instigated by you know who.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Kinematics: 5:14pm On Nov 27, 2021
It's another one. From the staple of Ipigs...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by izac82: 5:22pm On Nov 27, 2021
Most Bonny people I have come across identity as Ijaw. Igbos should leave them alone. They are not interested in anything Igbo, this is a first hand experience

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by alanto: 5:25pm On Nov 27, 2021
Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by tutudesz: 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

One question. If the origin of Okrika is so openly Igbo why and how did they successfully discard their origins for Ijaw today.

It may be the Igbo founders met primitive aborigines when they arrived because there's no way they can successfully eliminate an obviously Igbo heritage.

On the other hand it may be the Okrika history may have been deliberated hidden or distorted so researchers and truth seekers may not find some interesting information. Something definitely changed in the Okrika history along the way. I suspect cultural genocide instigated by you know who.
Obsession Kills faster than Drug O! Leave Ijaw matters alone

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Ekealterego: 5:44pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

Well, I believe a lot of things happened though and the last event could have had a more lasting effect to what made okrika what it is.

I believe you can find the answer to the Okirika (Krike as wrirten in older documents) story by looking at New Calabar.
I believe it had a very multiethnic influence. I personally do not believe that Igbos or Ijaws alone or together influenced the place. Each village or quarter seem to have a different history If you look well, that place seem to be meeting point of Igboids, Ijoids and Ibiobiods (Cross River) people.

That's why the language itself, although somewhat Ijoid, is not mutually intelligible with Ijaw.

The "riverine" area is an interesting area. Elemee for instance, do not submit to the Ogoni tag because some of them are actually without doubt Igbo (Arochukwu to be specific) Before the civil war, they were called Mboli (Another city/second city) even by themselves and even on the records. Arochukwu people migrated and made that place a second home or even a mini colony. Till today, many of them bear Arochukwu names. The names and imprints are there... they altered the language to a bit but did not change the main language ultimately.

It was interesting to note that Ekpeye call God, "ubini ukpabi" (That 100% is the Aro god) Only Aros refer to any god/diety as "Ubini Ukpabi", although Aros also use Chiokike Abiama/Chukukwu Okike Abiama. Some portions of Ikwerre too were highly influenced by Aros and they still have their quarters.

However Aros did not completely change anyone's language, they rather adapt to the language of any place they settled.

I believe the Aros had a strong influence on all those areas.

I will mention Eastlink (Egbema) and Nextdoor84 (Ekpeye). They are the two Igbos in River state, they will know better and dispute or collaborate what I have written.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 5:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ekealterego:

Well, I believe a lot of things happened though and the last event could have had a more lasting effect to what made okrika what it is.

I believe you can find the answer to the Okirika (Krike as wrirten in older documents) story by looking at New Calabar.
I believe it had a very multiethnic influence. I personally do not believe that Igbos or Ijaws alone or together influenced the place. Each village or quarter seem to have a different history If you look well, that place seem to be meeting point of Igboids, Ijoids and Ibiobiods (Cross River) people.

That's why the language itself, although somewhat Ijoid, is not mutually intelligible with Ijaw.

The "riverine" area is an interesting area. Elemee for instance, do not submit to the Ogoni tag because some of them are actually without doubt Igbo (Arochukwu to be specific) Before the civil war, they were called Mboli (Another city/second city) even by themselves and even on the records. Arochukwu people migrated and made that place a second home or even a mini colony. Till today, many of them bear Arochukwu names. The names and imprints are there... they altered the language to a bit but did not change the main language ultimately.

It was interesting to note that Ekpeye call God, "ubini ukpabi" (That 100% is the Aro god) Only Aros refer to any god/diety as "Ubini Ukpabi", although Aros also use Chiokike Abiama/Chukukwu Okike Abiama. Some portions of Ikwerre too were highly influenced by Aros and they still have their quarters.

However Aros did not completely change anyone's language, they rather adapt to the language of any place they settled.

I believe the Aros had a strong influence on all those areas.

I will mention Eastlink (Egbema) and Nextdoor84 (Ekpeye). They are the two Igbos in River state, they will know better and dispute or collaborate what I have written.

Thank you very much and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Ekealterego: 5:49pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

Genocide is not out of place. A guy from Bonny, I will try to invite him to this discussion, actually told me that Adaka Boro and the federal troupes invaded Bonny and Opobo and ransacked the palace where so much history was kept. They were too small to put up a defence. You know there is nothing more devastating them have fights from the inside during a war... They killed and the other ones left and the chiefs dare not talk about Igbos during the war and even after because of how the Ijaw led River state ruled with an iron hand.
I will probably not take that out of the equation. I think the Ekepeye boy here, Nextdoor84 bear similar sentiments.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 6:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
izac82:
Most Bonny people I have come across identity as Ijaw. Igbos should leave them alone. They are not interested in anything Igbo, this is a first hand experience

While they may choose to identify as Ijaw the area is Igboland. I have told Ikwerre peeps here the same. We will not leave any Igbo territory for any goon dead or alive. Check China and Russia.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by tutudesz: 6:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever :

While they may choose to identify as Ijaw the area is Igboland. I have told Ikwerre peeps here the same. We will not leave any Igbo territory for any goon dead or alive. Check China and Russia.
Igboland undecided come and claim it cool
Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SlayerForever: 6:33pm On Nov 27, 2021
tutudesz:

Igboland undecided come and claim it cool

Okay

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Idafire: 7:25pm On Nov 27, 2021
Another thread about the great tribe Ijaw.

The obsession, the greed in all of this useless write ups.

Do I have to say anything Yes

Continue, I am just here to read and laff as always.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Omanambala(m): 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2021
Kinematics:
It's another one. From the staple of Ipigs...

I am thinking you are not Ijaw or Igbo , but whenever an Igbo thread is created you are always here.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Kinematics: 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
Omanambala:

[s]
I am thinking you are not Ijaw or Igbo , but whenever an Igbo thread is created you are always here. [/s]

Ipig miscreants are always confused. It's normal!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by RIVERS1stson: 7:49pm On Nov 27, 2021
[s]
Kinematics:

Ipig miscreants are always confused. It's normal![/b]
[/s]
Dirty port Harcourt slum dweller, igbos owns Rivers state

6 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by odirk(m): 7:49pm On Nov 27, 2021
ibani people are pure Igbo's,

6 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SaintBishop: 8:10pm On Nov 27, 2021
RIVERS1stson:
[s][/s]
Dirty port Harcourt slum dweller, igbos owns Rivers state
Which Igbo owns Rivers State? You mean the same Rivers State where Wike and his Ikwerres people ( who are not igbos if I may remind you) raped and kill 56 Igbos or another one? Any igbos living in Rivers State are just tenants living there.There are no igbos in Rivers State.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by RIVERS1stson: 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2021
[s]
SaintBishop:
Which Igbo owns Rivers State? You mean the same Rivers State where Wike and his Ikwerres people ( who are not igbos if I may remind you) raped and kill 56 Igbos or another one? Any igbos living in Rivers State are just tenants living there.[b]There are no igbos in Rivers State.[]
[/s]

I am from Rivers state. Igbos owns Rivers state.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SaintBishop: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2021
RIVERS1stson:
[s][/s]

I am from Rivers state. Igbos owns Rivers state.
I am from Rivers State and there are no igbos here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by Kwem(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2021
SlayerForever:
Those of us who may have a hypothesis or even materials can share please grin
I've being hearing about pep or Pepo in bonny they speak and understand igbo very well.

If you have any friend from pep family they'll be glad to relate the best info to you....

2 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by RIVERS1stson: 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
SaintBishop:
I am from Rivers State and there are no igbos here.

I am from Rivers state. Igbo speaking part of Rivers state is the largest section in the state. Igbo part of Rivers state has ruled the state for almost 24yrs unbroken.

Odili, Amaechi and Wike, just like their names are igbos

8 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SaintBishop: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2021
RIVERS1stson:

I am from Rivers state. Igbo speaking part of Rivers state is the largest section in the state. Igbo part of Rivers state has ruled the state for almost 24yrs unbroken.

Odili, Amaechi and Wike, just like their names are igbos
Lmao Igbo man do you think it is me you can deceive? Lmao I repeat there are no Igbo in Rivers State no one.

https://www.nairaland.com/421192/not-igbo-ikwerre

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by RIVERS1stson: 8:57pm On Nov 27, 2021
[s]
SaintBishop:
Lmao Igbo man do you think it is me you can deceive? Lmao I repeat there are no Igbo in Rivers State no one.https://www.nairaland.com/421192/not-igbo-ikwerre
[/s]

I don't need to deceive you. Igbo group has ruled Rivers state for almost 24yrs while you are on nairaland crying cheesy

Odili's wife is from imo state while Amaechi's wife is from Anambra State. Are you connecting the dots now? cheesy

I am from Rivers state, Oroworukwo precisely.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo And Ibani Language In Bonny by SaintBishop: 9:06pm On Nov 27, 2021
RIVERS1stson:
[s][/s]

I don't need to deceive you. Igbo group has ruled Rivers state for almost 24yrs while you are on nairaland crying cheesy

Odili's wife is from imo state while Amaechi's wife is from Anambra State. Are you connecting the dots now? cheesy

I am from Rivers state, Oroworukwo precisely.
Nobody in Rivers State call themselves Igbo Mr igbo man pretending to be from Rivers. What they call themselves are ikwerres,Etche, ethnic groups etc you lying Igbo clown.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ukraine : Over 300 Igbos Evacuated So Far - Eze Igbo Germany / This Is Why Nigerians Should Respect Igbos & Vote Who Igbos Recommend! / BREAKING 2023: Nairalander Redpussy Set To Campaign For Bola Tinubu ( Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.