Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo (41934 Views)

EPL: Michael Owen Names Ronaldo, Henry In His All-Time Greatest XI (Full List) / Michael Owen Predicts Outcome Of PSG Vs Real Madrid, Others / Juventus Completes Signing Of Cristiano Ronaldo For £105m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Icandream: 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
Manchester United’s use of Cristiano Ronaldo borders on ‘abuse’, according to Michael Owen.

The 36-year-old was left on the bench for United’s 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday and he stormed down the tunnel without visiting the away end after the full-time whistle.

Ronaldo was given less than half an hour against the Blues and he cut a lonely figure when he did come on, with Michael Carrick selecting three defensive midfielders against Thomas Tuchel’s side.

The former Real Madrid man has bagged ten goals in 15 appearances for the Red Devils since returning to Old Trafford and he’s saved the side on a number of occasions, most notably with goals against Villarreal and Atalanta.

But Owen believes that Ronaldo is often left to run the side’s attack and says the lack of support he gets is ‘abusive’.

Asked whether he’d like to play in United’s team, Owen told Premier League Productions: ‘No you can’t! We were at Old Trafford for the City game the other day and all of a sudden it’s just exactly the same they leave Cristiano Ronaldo up front on his own. That’s almost abuse!

‘Having someone that good in your team and then playing everyone defensively and saying ‘That’s alright we’ll just hope he nicks a goal’ he’ll end up being average.

‘If you leave him and all these good players or just two of them playing and everyone else defending they’ll start putting in bad performances because they’ve got nobody to pass to, they’ve got no options, they’re chipping the ball form 50 yards away. They need other players to come up and help them.

‘It’s almost abusing the good players they’ve got and that’s the last thing you’ve got to do. If anything, expose the rubbish! Find ways of getting world class players in your team, get Pogba, get Fernandes, get Ronaldo, get them as best as you can.

‘If you let a few goals in because Bailly’s not great or Wan-Bissaka or whoever it may be then fine you can replace them but at the minute because they’re nervous and scared they just bulk up with sitting midfielders and more defenders and abuse the great players up front leaving half of them on the bench and one or two to play, they’ve got no chance!

Ralf Rangnick is expected to be named interim manager this week, although Michael Carrick could remain in charge for Thursday’s clash against Arsenal.

The German has agreed to take charge for the remainder of the season before taking on a consultancy role for a further two years.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/28/michael-owen-slams-manchester-uniteds-abuse-of-cristiano-ronaldo-15677956/?ito=newsnow-feed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by dawnomike(m): 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2021
Well, Mr. Owen made a good point ...

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by paulolee(m): 10:21pm On Nov 28, 2021
DTS his opinion..big thumbs up to carrick for starting both sancho n dt bailey in dt game bcox i never expected such
Sancho got d only goal n baily had a wonderful game n I pray e keeps his shirt
united fans should get used to such surprises bcoz dt new rangnick is a master tactician n his tactical brilliance dnt support predictability...
I keep telling people dt a pep dt I know is incharge of dis squad, he wont keep starting cr7 in big games after he went silent against Leicester, Liverpool, city n even Watford...

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Kingcalls: 10:26pm On Nov 28, 2021
Only messi fans will counter this...its showing at juve now...if Ronaldo was at city Chelsea or Liverpool, or even psg, he wud b on 20 goals now... utd don't creat more than 3 chances a game on the average and he has 10 goal.... imagine if he was in a team like those I mentioned that create about 10 to 15 a game...imagine if he was in werners place today...he wyd score his usual hat trick...Ronaldo has wasted his
His last 4 yrs with juve and now utd ...

197 Likes 16 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by paulolee(m): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2021
Kingcalls:
Only messi fans will counter this...its showing at juve now...if Ronaldo was at city Chelsea or Liverpool, or even psg, he wud b on 20 goals now... utd don't creat more than 3 chances a game on the average and he has 10 goal.... imagine if he was in a team like those I mentioned that create about 10 to 15 a game...imagine if he was in werners place today...he wyd score his usual hat trick...Ronaldo has wasted his
just imagine Wetin person de assume....all goals bt not talking about other ways he would help d team incase d goals stops coming bcoz he cnt score in all games...
even if united loses or goes trophiless, they is no problem as long as cr7 keeps scoring tapins each week to keep shallow minds like u happy abi?
messi got a hatrick of assist today n come next year u would be asking how hr would win d ballon d or again...
I no justs even understand how una take de analyse football

129 Likes 15 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Kingcalls: 10:33pm On Nov 28, 2021
paulolee:
DTS his opinion..big thumbs up to carrick for starting both cr7 n dt lazy maguire on d bench in such a big game bcox i never expected such..
Sancho got d only goal n baily had a wonderful game..
united fans should get used to such surprises bcoz dt new rangnick is a master tactician n his tactical brilliance dnt support predictability...
I keep telling people dt a pep dt I know is incharge of dis squad, he wont keep starting cr7 in big games after he went silent against Leicester, Liverpool, city n even Watford...

Mumu maguire was red carded shaw was injured...u be pure otelo for football...u dont even hv facts, yet u go come here de talk nonsense, say u de analyse...typical messi zombie

31 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 28, 2021
undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Ofunwa111: 11:01pm On Nov 28, 2021
Icandream:
Manchester United ’s use of Cristiano Ronaldo borders on
‘abuse’, according to Michael Owen.
The 36-year-old was left on the bench for United’s 1-1 draw
against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday and he
stormed down the tunnel without visiting the away end after
the full-time whistle.
Ronaldo was given less than half an hour against the Blues
and he cut a lonely figure when he did come on, with Michael
Carrick selecting three defensive midfielders against Thomas
Tuchel’s side.
The former Real Madrid man has bagged ten goals in 15
appearances for the Red Devils since returning to Old Trafford
and he’s saved the side on a number of occasions, most
notably with goals against Villarreal and Atalanta.
But Owen believes that Ronaldo is often left to run the side’s
attack and says the lack of support he gets is ‘abusive’.

Asked whether he’d like to play in United’s team, Owen told
Premier League Productions: ‘No you can’t! We were at Old
Trafford for the City game the other day and all of a sudden
it’s just exactly the same they leave Cristiano Ronaldo up
front on his own. That’s almost abuse!
‘Having someone that good in your team and then playing
everyone defensively and saying ‘That’s alright we’ll just hope
he nicks a goal’ he’ll end up being average.
‘If you leave him and all these good players or just two of
them playing and everyone else defending they’ll start putting
in bad performances because they’ve got nobody to pass to,
they’ve got no options, they’re chipping the ball form 50 yards
away. They need other players to come up and help them.
‘It’s almost abusing the good players they’ve got and that’s
the last thing you’ve got to do. If anything, expose the rubbish!
Find ways of getting world class players in your team, get
Pogba, get Fernandes, get Ronaldo, get them as best as you
can.
‘If you let a few goals in because Bailly’s not great or Wan-
Bissaka or whoever it may be then fine you can replace them
but at the minute because they’re nervous and scared they
just bulk up with sitting midfielders and more defenders and
abuse the great players up front leaving half of them on the
bench and one or two to play, they’ve got no chance!

Ralf Rangnick is expected to be named interim manager this
week, although Michael Carrick could remain in charge for
Thursday’s clash against Arsenal.
The German has agreed to take charge for the remainder of
the season before taking on a consultancy role for a further
two years.
United’s squad have been informed that Rangnick will be
taking interim charge.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/28/michael-owen-slams-manchester-uniteds-abuse-of-cristiano-ronaldo-15677956/?ito=newsnow-feed

He couldn't have said it any better. If nothing is done about this on time, Man Utd will be playing 6-3-1. Defenders can't do their job well these days .... Smh .

3 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Joebayo217: 5:18am On Nov 29, 2021
Kudos to carrick unlike his master called ole

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Milli10(m): 6:02am On Nov 29, 2021
Kingcalls:

Why can't Ronaldo create chances himself if he can't score? This is the real difference between him and Messi. If Messi doesn't score in a game, he creates chances to score.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by paulolee(m): 6:24am On Nov 29, 2021
Milli10:

Why can't Ronaldo create chances himself if he can't score? This is the real difference between him and Messi. If Messi doesn't score in a game, he creates chances to score.
simple...than waiting for only tapins or depending on a creative team to keep loading him with assist...
d moment mendy gave away dt ball to Fred in dt chelsea game, I happy as fred went for goal n try to lob Mendy bt missed...
e for pain me say e pass d ball to cr7 bcoz dt wan go score empty net with his normal tap in, rush n offshirt asif he did everything n his fans go flood nairaland dey shout say he won united all 3 points bcoz he always perform in big games..
player dt can do nothing without d help of mistake from defense or tapins from team mate

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by iLite4all(m): 6:54am On Nov 29, 2021

3 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by iLite4all(m): 7:13am On Nov 29, 2021

1 Like

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Kingcalls: 7:15am On Nov 29, 2021
Milli10:

So the one he created for cavani and vender vanderbeek, na u create am

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Joebayo217: 7:25am On Nov 29, 2021
Milli10:

u're expecting Ronaldo to create chance in d match man u didn't dominating

20 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Icandream: 7:30am On Nov 29, 2021
Milli10:

Messi is struggling at PSG, 3 assist aside. He knows he's no more the same player he use to be. I don't know what u guys gain in trying to put down Ronaldo at any given time but when Messi plays badly u guys make excuses 4 him. Stop being a hypocrite abeg. Rashford that played first half what was his contribution? Him giving three assist against the worst club in French league one doesn't change the fact that Barca made him. Ronaldo at 36 has 10 goals in15 appearances. If tap in was that easy Timo Werna wud win the golden boot last season. And mind u if u wanna see how useless Messi is put him in this current man utd team that rarely control the ball against opponents. He only thrived at Barca cos everything about the team revolved around him.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Richy4(m): 8:16am On Nov 29, 2021
Manchester United got so many topnotch selfish professional stars that also wanted to trend just like Ronaldo...
Some of them does not have the team spirit.. just like yesterday, one beautiful chance one of their players missed just because he wanted his name added to the score sheet.. when he should have given it to the one in a better position to score..

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by SUPERPACK: 9:00am On Nov 29, 2021
paulolee:

simple...than waiting for only tapins or depending on a creative team to keep loading him with assist...
d moment mendy gave away dt ball to Fred in dt chelsea game, I happy as fred went for goal n try to lob Mendy bt missed...
e for pain me say e pass d ball to cr7 bcoz dt wan go score empty net with his normal tap in, rush n offshirt asif he did everything n his fans go flood nairaland dey shout say he won united all 3 points bcoz he always perform in big games..
player dt can do nothing without d help of mistake from defense or tapins from team mate
The rants of a church rat grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by sylve11: 9:19am On Nov 29, 2021
Carrick will not coach Manchester United. cool

2 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by winterlover: 9:20am On Nov 29, 2021
Then take the job

1 Like

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by sammysmiles(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2021
All this idiots posting sure games...
Why are you so interested in others making money?
Is it true love or what?
I jxt laff at times cos even my family members are not that nice

4 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Negroid001(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2021
For the first time in a long time.
Man u played well defensively. Chelsea were only able to score from a penalty.
Ronaldo's ego ruined Ole's squad.

8 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by gurunlocker: 9:22am On Nov 29, 2021
grin

If they had started Pendu, they are definitely losing that game. It was tactical! Chelsea will press them very well, and Pendu on the pitch means a player down aside goalscoring (since they are been pressed).

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by wunmi590(m): 9:24am On Nov 29, 2021
Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by gurunlocker: 9:26am On Nov 29, 2021
Kingcalls:

Lol.... It is not showing at Manchester United, that's why they are topping the table.

You guys don't get it? Ronaldo will score, he definitely will, but dude is after his own personal records, always want to do it alone. So the players work for him to score, making other attackers useless. So if he doesn't score, the team will lose. You dig?

It's better for a team to work together as a whole irrespective of who score.

Example is the Argentina Copa America triumph... For the past years, all burden were on Messi to deliver, but when they have other people scoring aside Messi, they won!

That's how it works... Hopefully you get my point.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by sammyj: 9:26am On Nov 29, 2021
Our real GOAT will come back in a BIG way !!! smiley smiley
Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Bigchristo: 9:26am On Nov 29, 2021
Milli10:

Yet he scores more than Messi, so why the wack comparison?

4 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by ppogba: 9:27am On Nov 29, 2021
paulolee:
DTS his opinion..big thumbs up to carrick for starting both sancho n dt bailey in dt game bcox i never expected such
Sancho got d only goal n baily had a wonderful game n I pray e keeps his shirt

Carrick deserves no kudos for playing Baily. Situation forced him to play him due to Maguire' s red card. Ole never had the guts to bench him and the Carrick your are praising now isn't part of the Ole set- up.
Baily WOULD NEVER have played the match if maguire is available.

7 Likes

Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by tellwisdom: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2021
Kingcalls:

Oshe Guardiola
Re: It’s Abuse!’ – Michael Owen Slams Manchester United’s Use Of Cristiano Ronaldo by Badgers14: 9:29am On Nov 29, 2021
Ronaldo and Messi of 2012 are not the same Ronaldo and Messi of 2021 so let's stop the comparison.

Both players have had their star moments and as it is nature, they are heading down to retirement.

But no matter how good Ronaldo was , I think his arrival destroyed manutd chemistry. Pogba might not be excellent all around, but he was a jolly good fella in the locker room and at times, you need someone that would jelly in the group.

Ronaldo's style of play is unfortunately not the same style of play under Ole.

For me, I think Ole didn't really want Ronaldo in his team but the big guns in Manutd front office wanted him, that's why He was spared after the back to back disastrous outings mancity and Liverpool. And his firing was even dignified. The game against Liverpool was just a disaster, no team chemistry from manutd players.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mikel Obi Cooking For His Russian Girlfriend On Val Day(Photo) / Ronaldo: 'the Difference With Messi...' / Zambia Vs Nigeria: U23 AFCON (1 - 3) Full Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.